Options

Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Its a lot of money however you dress it up.

• Options

I'm in for brighton 2014!

Qualified for London 2014 as well so will have to do both - Really want to do a sub 3, but not sure its realistic, 3:13 this year but 13mins is a lot to expect to shave off.

2013 brighton Forum as so good I'm here on the 2014 forum!!!!

• Options

Do people think its better to be at the start of the red starting area in Preston park or in the Elite area mid crowd, for a better time? (i was start of the red this year)

anyone any ideas on time gain / loss from either?

• Options

elite start was very relaxed and had flat (downhill) first mile. Preston Park start you have to run up a hill!

• Options
    Wondering what races you're all planning to do between now and next April. Hoping I will be fit to do Bupa 10k next month, then Rye 10k in July and a half late September. Definitely doing Spitfire 20 again next March as the 2 laps are perfect for those negative splits! Maybe I should think of an Autumn marathon but just not sure..I've pushed myself a bit too hard this year already
  • Options

Well I didn't manage to get for a run today, unlike Toby and Poohbear, but I did spend about 3 hours hopping from the swimming pool to the jacuzzi and back again. Ten minutes of each at a time. Lovely and relaxing and lots of excercise at the same time.

Definitely going to get a couple of 10k's and a half in somewhere between now and next April. I think part of my problem was that while I did the training, I didn't really do any races between signing up and running on sunday.

• Options

Races i plan to do

Bristol 10k in May (entered)

Bradley stoke 10k in June (entered)

Battle of sedgemoor 10k August

Bristol H/M in September

Cricklade H/M in October

Swindon H/M in October

Boscombe 10k in November

Longleat 10k in February

Bath H/M in March

• Options

Jellygirl - If you fancy an Autumn marathon (and I'm not sure where you are based), what about Beachy Head - it's not a PB course by any means, but it is without doubt the best race I've run - scenery, people, support. Also, I have found doing a lot of my training off-road has really improved my road marathon running. Once you've run the last 6 miles of Beachy, it will make the last 6 miles of any marathon seem easy in comparison! image

Race-wise for me, I've got my first ultra (50 miles) in a month, so unfortunately no putting my feet up post-Brighton! Then Hove 10k in September (I hate the distance and have only raced it once but am determined to lose the 01: from my time of 46:01), Beachy Head marathon at the end of October.....and then the biggie for me, the Sahara Race next February - 160 mile multi-stage race across the Sahara desert image

So quite a mixed bag of races to keep me out of trouble until next April!

• Options
    Jellygirl, I've a hectic 12 months lined up:

1. Bewl Marathon - May

2. St Albans Half - June

3. Victoria park 10k -August

4. Thames Meander Marathon - August

5. Great North Run - September

6. Royal Parks Ultra 50k - October

7. Benfleet 20mile - Jan

8. Bright half - feb

9. Silverstone half - March

I'd quite like to do Hell Down South too, lots of fun last year?

It's really no surprise that the year goes so fast, when we are booking so far ahead!

Snowmaiden - no doubt toby3 has said this given his list, but having races as milestones will help your training no end.

Somebody mentioned Brighton hotels to book in advance who don't take payment upfront? Any advice...
  • Options
    Also, has anybody run Edinburgh marathon, would like to also run May 2014.
  • Options
    Premier inn gives you the option of paying now or at check in - I didn't look anywhere else so can't comment on any others.

I have sittingbourne 10k (may), Medway 10k (June), Canterbury half (aug), Run to beat and Folkestone half (sept), Basingstoke half and great south (oct) and hopefully Brighton half in the feb. undecided how I will race some of them as about 3 of the halfs are back to back weekends so doubt I will race them all.

First fartlek session completed - I know why I have avoided them in the past image
  • Options
    Hi to you all. First of all just wanted to say what a great thread both Brighton 2013 was and I'm sure Brighton 2014 will be. I have run this race 3 times now and it gets better each year. However I have decided that 2013 will be my last Brighton marathon as I want to try other events that take place in the spring.

I have lots planned for the rest of spring/summer this yr with Berlin marathon at end of sept my main focus in terms of PB (want to break the 3:30 barrier).

Then it will be a mixture of different marathons and moving to ultras. I wish u all the best for the remaining races u r all in this yr and good luck (well in advance) for Brighton next yr. u have all kept me motivated to carry on training and setting new goals I hope u continue to achieve all that u can

Stephen
  • Options
    Thanks tillstar.

Forgot about run to the beat, it's on my doorstep, so had wanted to run it this year? Erm...
  • Options

Good luck for youe sub 03:30 in Berlin Stephen - I'm dipping my feet into the ultra world so maybe our paths will cross there image

• Options

GCE i entered run to the beat before I had entered some of the others - in hindsight I wouldnt now enter it as it was over £50 and have heard from the reviews that its more of a fun run than a serious race but Im entered now so I may as well do it and since you seem to run every race going Im sure you could squeeze it in if you considered it worth the money

• Options

Stephen good luck in the future

• Options
    Ouch, ??50 for a half though?? And people say Brighton marathon was expensive! It's literally on my doorstep, but I'm not feeling inclined to spend that much on a half.
  • Options

Yeah its ridiculous I wish I hadnt but at the time I had found any other halfs to do.  Damn entering immediately and not looking around for other events first! Doh! Lesson learnt and yep Brighton is worth the money Run to Beat isnt in my opininon

• Options
    Looks like our race calendars are pretty full already. Early next year I'll do my usual 10k and 2 more HM's.

Barbie - thanks for suggesting Beachy Head. I'm on the Kent/E.Sussex border so not far away. I've heard it's a really tough one but I like a challenge! My 10k time isn't great as I don't push hard enough but managed a 45:09 a month ago. I'm hoping to get a little faster over this distance.

GCE - I'll be interested how you get on with the Ultra. I'm considering doing it next year, provided I get an earlybird entry otherwise price too steep.

Toby- Lots of HM's. Is this your favoured distance?

Tillstar - Speedwork will become your friend! The rewards are fantastic with those faster times.

Can anyone suggest any good 10 milers other than the GSR. I found it too crowded last year and didn't really enjoy it.
  • Options

Jellygirl - great 10k time, that's what I'm aiming for....if I can get near that then I'm retiring from 10k racing!

Beachy is fantastic - yes it's tough but SO enjoyable - I don't think I stopped grinning like a loon the entire 26 miles I was so high on the hills! image Also it makes such a change from training/racing on road - I feel a much stronger runner since I started off-road running.

• Options
    Barbie I think I might have to give it a go. I love putting on my trail shoes but really need to do it more. I always find the muddiest routes though!

My 10k time improved with my marathoning training. I was doing 800m repeats in 3 mins 25 with 400m easy jog recovery. I started with 4 and added 1 more each week. I was hoping for a 3:25 - 3:30 marathon until I ran the Surrey Spitfire too fast and aggravated my back. It's on the mend now though.
  • Options
    Matt thanks for that. January is perfect timing for a 10 miler
  • Options

Toby3 et all - I'm down in Brighton tomorrow afternoon to exchange my medal (for a non-damaged one) so if anyone is up for a post-event latte please let me know.

• Options
    I've actually just started doing BMF and parkruns. Find that both are really building my strength, in particular BMF. Thought I was fairly fit until I went to a BMF class. Amazing training and I'm surprised more runners don't do it!
  • Options
    eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone, sighed up for next year this Lunchtime looking forward to it already A years a long time to prepare, so will have to enter a few shorter races to keep the training plodding along

• Options

Hi everyone, I've just signed up to RW after entering the Brighton Marathon 2014, my first marathon.

Lillias Griffiths 2 wrote (see)
    I've actually just started doing BMF and parkruns. Find that both are really building my strength, in particular BMF. Thought I was fairly fit until I went to a BMF class. Amazing training and I'm surprised more runners don't do it!

I'm a committed 3 times a week BMF'er so I'm hoping it will put me in good stead for when I start my marathon training.

• Options
    I know it's far too early to use one but as I like training plans I have been looking into possible plans for the end of the year and I have a question for the more knowledgeable of you.

Is it better to do a plan with a lower level of overall mileage that I can run overall at a faster pace (eg shorter at 10k and slower at just over mp) or do one with more mileage that will likely meaning running all at a slower pace (eg half and a min over mp for long) but will get more miles in??

Will chose the final plan at the end of the year when I can see what my fitness is like at that stage. Ideally I want sub 430 and my current untrained half time indicates I can achieve this but I have to do this for the charity so just finishing is the main aim.
  • Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    I'm no expert but I would spend between now and when your training plan starts to build up your weekly mileage with slower runs easy pace runs. My entire training for the London marathon has been Iike this and on the whole I have avoided injury.
  • Options

Hi yes that is the plan for now - I have a personal trainer for 16 weeks so am following his plan for now.  After that i plan to just concentrate on getting the miles in and not stress to much about pace and just concentrate on time on my feet and let pacing get faster naturally as I get fitter.

I have run for many years but tend to do too much at once then take a few weeks off before starting again so my main aim to December is just sticking to regularly running.  Not too much of a problem as I am now running for a small charity that means the world to me so I now have huge motivation.

My question refers more to the plan for December onwards i guess - Is time on your feet and total mileage more important than fewer but better quality runs that give a lower overall mileage?