Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Lisa... I hear stories like that and I'm dreading my daughter getting to that age.... I'm sure you were like that once though... hopefully she'll live and learn.

26k for me this morning... set out at 7am and it was 28c and 83% humidity by the time I finished... abandoned any thoughts of doing the planned 16k @ MP in the middle... that was never going to happen.

It was brutal out there... had 3/4 litre of drink and a gel but was hallucinating about pints of cold water after an hour or so.

Good luck everyone with the long runs this weekend.

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Clag and tiny well done for getting your long runs in.

I have actually stuck to plan today and ran 10mi with 6 @ LT pace, had to grit my teeth at times but managed to keep pace between 7.50 - 8.00. Still too bloody hot and humid out there, but tis done and I can feel smug for a short while image.  Recovery run tomorrow, which I may miss then the first of the big 2 0's on Sunday arrgghh!

Phil there is nothing wrong with avoiding ascending hills image

15w my hubby shared the same disbelief when I went running on my daughters birthday- whoops.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Lisa - stop repeating yourself...and as for your teenager daughter...we've all been there, right?! Just tell her the damage she is doing to her body etc., that might help.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Lisa - why dont you wake up your daughter with a nice pint of lager !

M.arkF - good running this morning.

15W - enjoy the athletics.

Long run for me this morning in perfect conditions. 18 miles done and it felt really comfortable from a fitness point of view. However, the old ITB injury reared it's ugly head and was giving me some grief. I am due a cut back week but was thinking I might not run at all and do more cycling to try and make up for it. Do you think this would be ok ?

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

How did that get there?

Carter well done this morning, but bugger about the ITB injury. I would have thought that a touch of cross training may be preferential to further strain on the ITB, but I am sure that someone with way more knowledge then me will be along to answer properly.

Daughter has been asleep pretty much all day - not sure if it is a tactic to avoid me, but seems to be stirring now so will see what state she is in when she shows her face. Knowing her as I do, she will not be quick to repeat this thankfully.

Feeling absolutely knackered and am now dreading my 20 miles tomorrow - will blame said daughter if it all goes tits up though!

• Options

carter.... I think that would be very sensible... a week of light cycling... i.e. not climbing mountains... would be beneficial.... you'd lose nothing running-wise

I'm debating whether to get out on my bike tomorrow morning... 39c here at the moment... it's horrible.

• Options

Some fantastic long runs going on, well done everyone.  Good luck with your 20miles Lisa.  Try and get as much kip as you can.

Thankfully my legs seemed to recover quite quickly after my 18miler and did a 5 mile recovery run the next day with no problems.  The rest of my body however is a different story.  I have been soooo tired the last couple of days.  It's to be expected though I guess with such high mileage.  A hilly 10k race awaits me in the morning so I'm definitely gunning for an early night.

Carter - take care about the ITB.  I can't really offer much advice but I think trying not to aggravate it for a week or so is definitely a wise move, especially as you were due for a recovery week anyway.  Keep on doing those clams/bridges etc. as much as you can too.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Sorry about your daughter Lisa. Hopefully it will be a vivid lesson for her.

Weather looking a bit wet tomorrow but there should be a 3 hour dry slot at about 6am so it may be ok! My shiny new trainers have arrived and it seems such a shame to get them muddy.

• Options

Hello, everyone, I haven't been on for a couple of weeks been dead busy. 

How crazy is the weather this summer! its been really tough running in the heat recently, I had to be up and out by 5.30 this morning to get my long run done before work. It was like running through a monsoon this morning, got to work absolutely drenched and couldn't feel my hands. Still it makes a change from the heat!

I managed to do 17 miles in 2.10 to take my total for the week upto 58 miles. 

Lisa- it must have been a shock seeing your daughter like that for the first time but I think it's all part of growing up. I remember the first time I had a drink I went home and I was falling all over the place and I was younger than your daughter. My parents were horrified but they laugh about it when they look back now image

The fact that she was crying sounds like its the first time she's been like that and I'm sure the hangover will be a pretty big punishment in itself. image

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

20miles scheduled, but ran 22. Pfirst 11 at 7:27, second eleven at 7:04, pfor a 7:16 average.

I put some water out on the route this time and avoided the heat exhaustion that I suffered last week.

No carbs again this week but no major bonk. Day off tomorrow!!

Good luck with today's long one my pfellow Pfitzers!

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Set out to run 20mi, but bailed out at 18mi, just couldn't complete the run. The last 2 miles were more a shuffle then a run - not pretty and definately not enjoyable. Not sure if this is down to lack of sleep, not fuelling adequately or the fact that I ran on trails rather then road which is my usual surface - but this run hurt pretty bad image.

I took a couple of cliff shots with me, but they didn't seem to have any effect - maybe waiting for a surge of power was unrealistic? Will try some gels next week to see if they have any effect. Off to wallow in pity now for a bit and hope that the elusive 20 miles doesn't remain elusive.

Phil hope that your 20 miler was successful? Well done Mark on running in a monsoon - think I may have preferred that this morning quite possibly.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Andrew that is a pretty awesome pace. You must be targeting a 2:45 marathon with LSRs like that?

Mark that was a pretty fast 17 as well!

Sorry about your run Lisa. Some runs are just bad. Some people swear by "cut-ins" where you do the first 4 miles or so at warmup pace and then finish strongly. This also gives you the feeling that you are controlling the run rather than vice versa. Might be worth a shot.

I managed my 20 in 2:50 so happy with that. I didn't need the 2nd bottle of Lucozade so just lugged half a kilo around for no reason! A good bicep workout maybe. The rain mainly held off and the temperature stayed around 15 so can't complain.

Trying not to think about 12 miles @mp next Sun!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. Did my 20mi this morning in 2hr25 along the coast in SE Kent. Was pretty tough especially with just a banana for breakfast and a bit of a hangover. Knackered this afternoon but got a big family BBQ with lots of beer to get through.

Good running everyone.

• Options

Well done everyone on all your long runs!

Lisa - don't stress about it.  When I did my 18miles last week, if someone had put a gun to my head and said "run another 2 miles or I shoot", I would have told them to shoot.  I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have reaped much benefit from shuffling round that last 2 miles.  Be proud of your 18 and when you next go for 20 I'm sure it will seem much easier.

Rounded off my first ever 50mile week with a 10k road race this morning.  Was a tough route so very pleased to finish in 46:02.  Just been out for a recovery run and legs feel so much better for it, hopefully they won't be too sore tomorrow.  Off to re-fuel with curry and wine image.  Enjoye BBQ and beer 15W image

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭
    Phil Ramsey3 wrote (see)

Andrew that is a pretty awesome pace. You must be targeting a 2:45 marathon with LSRs like that?

I'm training for 2:54, but would be very happy with anything under 3hours. 

Last year I trained for 3:10 to get a GFA placing for the VLM , but went for 3:00 on the day. I maintained the pace until 23miles, but was running on empty from there and ran 3:01 in the end. I'm glad that I went for it, as they subsequently changed the GFA time for my age group to 3:05!

• Options

Don't worry Lisa, I've had a couple of dreadful long runs and I don't expect it will affect the end result!

I didn't even make my run of 13 miles.image The thought of getting up at 4.50am then organising a Super Mario party was just too much! I did manage a 4 mile recovery run on Sunday.....recovery from what though I'm not sure!image

Hoping for a better week this week.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Lisa - well done for battling on, now you can move on to your next run.

Tiny - excellent 50 mile week, well done to you too.

M.arkF - 39d, where are you ?

Andrews/Phil - good runs from you boys too.

15w - hope you got through plenty of beers at the bbq.

I went out yesterday and did 30 miles on my old mountain bike, I'm waiting for delivery of my new road bike. The heavens opened and I got absolutely soaked but within a few minutes the sun was out and I had dried off. I also cycled in the 7 miles to wrk this morning too and will look for a longer route to cycle home tonight. The knee is feeling better thankfully

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Tiny - you have turned into a bit of a running machine, bloody well done image

Andrew very impressive stuff there, can't get my head around that speed over that distance - thats my 10k speed!

acp - sometimes our body needs the rest more then the run so forget about the 13 miles not run, especially as you have ran a huge amount of 18-20 milers already.

Carter yesterday at points I wished that I was cycling rather then running as all the cyclists I saw looked like they were having much more fun then I was - that was until I remembered that I have an innate ability to fall off bikes each time I ride one!

I have recovered from my initial disappointment yesterday, I have realised that I was probably running too fast for my first 20 miler image with the majority of miles sub 9.50min/miles and then also being on trails with a few undulations (hills to me) this is just plain stupid - so 18 hillyish miles run in 2.45 on mainly gravel isn't too bad.

I am now trying to decide whether my easy 14mi on Wed should become a 14mi with 12mi@ MP run and then try again for 20 miles on Sunday rather then the planned 16mi with 12mi @mp on Sunday. Or should I just stick to the bloody plan and forget about yesterdays unfinished 20mi?

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Lisa, I know I'm the 'stick to the plan' person, but I'm not convinced you really want to put an additional hard session into the week, especially if you've had a disappointing run already (and 18 miles is not that different from 20 anyway). There's a reason they don't give you a 12 mile MP run AND a 20-miler in the same week. If you're feeling short of a 20-miler in the overall plan you can always add a couple of miles onto one of the long runs in a different week.

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Thanks (again) Lit, just panicking that I won't have enough 20milers completed before marathon day. Gosh this marathon training and planning takes over your life!

• Options

I was thinking about entering the South Cheshire 20 on 15th Sept and using it as a long training run - no racing! Is this too close to marathon day?

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Hello all.  Anyone going for an upto 55 miles for 27 Oct?  Starts next week I believe.  I did 2:55 off not too much training at London this year.  Monthly run miles below.

Jan 128

Feb 114

Mar 81

Apr 77

Just did the Outlaw in 11:37 (4:15 marathon) and now focusing on the US Marine Corps Marathon in Washington.  I haven't really got a goal though yet.  Don't think i'm going to race a half either in preparation as I want to take it "easy".

• Options

acp - I am entered for the South Cheshire 20.  I'm definitely not racing it though, will probably do something along the lines of first 5 miles warm-up and then next 15 at MP.  Might actually do less MP miles than that as it is a very hilly course!

• Options

Start of week 6/18 for me today.... a recovery week image

Temperature a pleasant 20c, nice breeze and light rain... it was beautiful out there.

I must admit I've had some crap runs in the last few weeks in the heat, and was beginning to have my doubts, but today's run was a dream... ok, only 13k but I felt like Mo Farah effortlessly floating along, I was having to rein myself in... I was looking at my km splits and thinking how incredibly easy it felt.

I'll stick that one in the memory bank for when it starts going pear-shaped again.

• Options

Tiny - I wasn't planning on doing any of it at MP. I would have thought it was too close to marathon day to do that - anyone care to contradict me....?! image

• Options

Fab run Mark, well done!

acp - my mara isn't until 20th October so it's a good 5 weeks before race day. Forgive me but I've forgotten which one you're doing?  I think some MP miles will be fine 5 weeks out.  I certainly wouldn't race it though.  My schedule actually calls for 18miles with 14 at marathon pace anyway so I figured it's just easier and a bit more fun to do it as part of a race....just so long as I don't get carried away.  Also a great chance for a 'dress rehearsal' and to practice the nutrition I'll be using on race day but without getting too knackered.  I think that'd be such a confidence booster for me being a marathon newbie.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

nice one, Mark image Still waiting for that to happen to me image

• Options

Mark - Nice one, well done.  I have also found it really difficult in the heat as I am still trying to get to a good fitness level and am only on Week 8 of my training plan.  Last week seemed to be a lot better.

Onwards and upwards!image

• Options

Sorry Tiny, I didn't realise the date of your marathon is 2 weeks after mine! I'm doing Chester and I have a half planned 5 weeks before and was going to run a warmup of 5 miles and then run the actual half at MP which would be pretty much the same plan as yourself.image

So chuffed with myself today. Alarm was due to get me up at 4.20am but I woke up just before it went off and it was pitch black outside and I thought 'no way, I'll get up at 5am and run 8 miles instead of 11'. But then while I was out I realised that as long I was back at home by 7am so my husband could go to work I would still have enough time to do the extra 3 miles on the treadmill so I ended up doing the whole 11 miles as originally planned!image

Mark, I'm still waiting to 'float effortlessly' too - sounds great though!

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

I had to google what 'float effortlessly' means and can confirm I have yet to experience this !

1.5 miles @ 12:15 for me last night with the missus on her C25K training. I'm getting a few miles in on my bike going to and from work this week so hopefully the knee will recover for next week.