Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

acp... it's great when you can "sneak in" a good session before anyone else is awake.... you have the whole day ahead with no guilt... just a smug self-satisfaction.

carter... enjoy  the cycling but pay attention to the knee... if you start to feel some niggling... could be the saddle height.

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

I had to google what 'float effortlessly' means and can confirm I have yet to experience this !

Love the googling!

Actually looking forward to running in the rain later - never thought I would ever say that image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello. Back in Manchester now. Yesterday's 7mi and today's 9mi were done along the coast in SE Kent again. Nice running by the sea...except when it's windy.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Did you swim, 15W? I was in Whitstable at the weekend and had a lovely swim in the sea.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I paddled. That was enough.

• Options

Does paddling count as cross training?

acp getting up that early is amazing, wish I could do it but I'm not a morning person.

Recovery week for me, and I'm very glad of it. Had a 7m trail race on Sunday and the 1st 5 weeks of training has made me much stronger, the distance and hills felt comfortable. My speed is rather lacking but then I usually struggle with multi-terrain. 

carter hope the knee settles down soon, fingers crossed for you.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Just dropped partner and daughter at the airport as they are off to Japan for 3 weeks leaving me home alone image. I do have the dog to keep me company though image. image.

15mi for me today. Bit wet here at the moment.

• Options

13k recovery run for me today..... unfortunately had to give Mo Farah his body back and I think I got Phil Mitchell's in return.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

well done acp image - early morning running rocks image

Lisa: I usually love running in the rain but this morning's deluge washed a contact lense out of my eye and I could no longer see where I was going image. Sorry attempt at my LT sesh but cut it short after 3 miles image felt like too much hard work. Anyway, ran partially blind for 10 miles all in all image

Ouch, Mark.

carterusm wrote (see)

I had to google what 'float effortlessly' means and can confirm I have yet to experience this !

LOL! Lovin' this, carter image

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Terrible week last week - Wk2 of the 12/55 plan...  I got a grand total of 4 miles.  Argghhh.

I had had a great 6-8 weeks prior to starting, and a good week 1...  so I should be able to absorb it OK.    Certainly nicely back on track in the last 3 days.

15W...  No guilt going out training for the next 3 weeks then!  If my family had disappeared, I wouldn't have had a bad Wk2 !

• Options

4 mile recovery run this morning. Felt quite cool and it was still darkish!image A fox stopped and stared at me for about 5 seconds - probably thinking 'what is that crazy person doing?!', then I had to negotiate through a crowd (or is it a gaggle?) of geese. I don't like geese, they scare me! And all this running through a highly populated area!!

VO2 session tomorrow - can't wait! Before image and after image!

• Options

Yes it's a gaggle of geese - and they scare the hell out of me too!  Most of them aren't too bad but there's a particular gaggle that live on the canal where I normally exit and they are so aggressive it's ridiculous.  They even attack cyclists!

Runny - good to hear you're back on track now.

Chick - running partially blind - love the commitment!

Very pleased to report I've just got my first 20 miler in the bag.  Tough route (2200ft of ascent) so it was very slow but it's done.  Had some running friends with me and I think that really helped.  I also added a powdered energy drink with electrolytes to my water and I think that made a big difference.  Had two gels along with the drink and I didn't feel drained of energy at any point, it was just my aching legs that slowed me down.  I felt it went much better than the 18miler though, so hopefully the next 20 miler will feel a bit more comfortable.

15W - enjoy the peace and quiet, lots of time to run now image

• Options

Well done on the 20 tiny, must feel great to have that under the belt.... my first one is scheduled in just over 2 weeks... I'll be on holiday at the time in Majorca so it could very well be unpleasant.... debating whether to rejig a couple of weeks whilst I'm there.

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Lisa - Well done on 18 miles on Sunday; I managed 20 but the last two were very hard. Personally if training for a road marathon, I'd stick to roads, or very easy, flat, trails.  I like trails but find them much harder, and also very difficult to judge whether the pace was good or not. Also they tend to be more hilly, and this takes it out of you towards the end of a run. 

I think P&D says that 20 mile runs do get easier. I agree with that. From memory, the first one I did knocked me out for the rest of the day. I've now done 15-20 20+ milers, and after Sunday's I played 6-7 hours of bridge without much problem. 

Where I am is too hot to do a long or hard run, 24 degrees Celsius even first thing in the morning, so I'm cutting back the mileage at the moment.

• Options

Tiny - Well done, wow 20 miles that seems impossible to me at the moment I am going for my 1st double figure miles on sunday.

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Well done Tiny and SGB on your 20 milers.

Am supposed to be going out for a MLR today but my right calf is not playing ball imageWent out for a recovery run yesterday and calf tightened up badly this isn't unusual though and I can usually run it off within the 1st mile but not this time, should probably have turned around at that point and gone straight home - but obviously that would have been far too sensible, 5 miles later the pain has radiated around to include shin as well - bollocks. Came home and foam rollered the bugger, but today it is really tight again. So will foam roller, calf lift and generally batter again and then decide whether I need to see a physio sooner rather then later. Am hoping that this is just a blip rather then a proper injury image

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

15 this morning. I was planning to run it at the slower end of the scale, as my legs felt really heavy on yesterday's 6 and 4 recovery runs, but once I started the heaviness was gone  - and I ended up running too fast really: 7:08 pace when my faster recommended pace is 7:18. It was also a bit too hot, 25°C, and I am now sunburnt on my shoulders. Should have run earlier!

I intend to rein it in on the rest of this week's runs, in readiness for a 16 with 12MP on Sunday. Nasty!

That's July out of the way image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Lisa - take it easy and give yourself a couple of days rest if you have to.

SGB/Tiny - great runs. During my last campaign I did a few of my longer runs on trails. As you say SGB, there can be more hills on trails but my thoughts are that even though the pace is slower I am spending more time on my feet, which cant be too bad a thing when training for a marathon !

Lesley - good luck with your run at the weekend.

M.arkF - will you be taking your trainers on holiday with you ?

Andrews - nice running. Where are you to catch sunburn today ? In Sheffield nad Nottingham it's been rubbish all day.

I went for a nice easy 3 miles at lunchtime. It was nice and slow as I am currently transitioning to a mid-foot strike. I'm up to about 2 miles so far but it is very slow going and can take months to get there apparently. This evening I went out with the good lady while she is doing her C25K training. Another easy run with more mid-foot running. All is going nicely so far and I have even bought her some trail shoes so we can do some training on the trails 

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Hi Carter, 

In Jersey. Forecast 28°C tomorrow, but it's just a dossy 6, thank goodness!

• Options

carter.... yes I'm taking my running shoes on holiday and I will be running in them... it's just the disappearing off for 2.5 hours for a 20 miler might be a bit problematic with the missus image

...and take the transition to midfoot striking easy... I did it a couple of years ago and had a few calf problems from transitioning too quickly... it's worth the effort though as I haven't had a sniff of shinsplints since and they used to be the bain of my life.

• Options

Mark- how long are u going away for? 

Im going on holiday on Saturday for a week so I'm just gonna use it as a rest week, ill probably just do some very short runs but try and do them quite quick to maintain fitness.

14 miles today in 1.45, I feel like I'm starting to get some of my spring marathon fitness back. I'm still concerned that I won't get enough miles in the bag before Chester though. 

Well done Tiny runner on your 20 miles, they definitely get easier once you've done a few. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Mark - just get out there early - see the sunrise etc. Then stuff yourself silly the rest of the day. I love running on holiday.

Mini heatwave tomorrow...especially in the SE. All over by the weekend.

• Options

I'm there for 10 days.... I've just swapped a few sessions round with the following weeks and had to reduce the longest run to 19k to try to get away with it... the 32k long run I've moved to when I'm back....I'll still get a bit of grief though image

@mark - I'm debating whether your approach of some short sharp runs might not be a better bet... this HIT stuff might be a good idea.

It's going to be a tough next few weeks for me... fly to San Francisco Saturday morning for a week (work) and then only back a couple of days before heading out on holiday.... if I can make it through these weeks with my training more or less intact I'll be out of the woods I hope.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. 8mi for me today. A recovery run apparently. Just been for a very successful walk with the dog, he is finally coming back to me when called. All good.

• Options

Morning. 6.5 mile easy run for me this morning that turned into a progressive run. 

15W - treats for the dog should do the trick for the recall. If he is anything like mine he will come back sharpish if there is food available

• Options

Good morning

15W - If you struggle still with the recall of your dog, pick some more exciting treats and let your dog know that you have got them when you take it off the lead.

Just a 20 minute run for me tonight as I am on a recovery week, I am champing at the bit to get a good run in!image

• Options

Morning everyone!

Lisa - I've got my fingers crossed for you and your right calf!  Perhaps go and see a physio anyway?  I've ran through calf tightness/pain before and it gradually went away but I'm pretty sure I could have got rid of it alot sooner if I'd been more sensible and rested/got it checked out.

My legs feel strangely wonderful today! Jumped out of bed and was eager to go for a run but I'm definitely sticking to the rest day as planned.  Weirdly my right shoulder is very sore though........think it must be a combination of running with the camelbak for so long and some poor form.  Must try and relax my shoulders more when running.

MarkF - wish my 20miler had only taken my 2.5 hours - wow!  I was on my feet for about as long as I hope my marathon will take.  But like Carter said, hopefully that will stand me in good stead, as I know I can run for that long.

• Options

Lisa, hope the calf niggle isn't anything serious. Well done on your 20 Tiny.

First VO2 session this morning - 5x800m. Only 10 second variation between fastest and slowest rep so pleased with that for first attempt. Plus it was nice to know that I can run a bit faster when the session calls for it!

Feeling nervous about my planned 18 miles on Saturday. My last 2 long runs have been hideous and I'm still not feeling as full of beans as I would like to. Went for blood tests yesterday but no results yet. I'm supposed to be giving blood tomorrow but I have a feeling they won't want it..!image

Off to Wales for a few days next week and will try and stick to the plan as much as possible. It will be nice to run somewhere different for a change.

• Options

Morning everybody,

Lisa - might as well stretch/roller the shit out of everything from the waist down, not just calves. When I get tight calves it usually turns out to be tight glutes (the bane of my life, and currently suffering from arse-pain).

acp - are you sure you shouldn't put off giving blood till post-marathon, especially when you're already not feeling great? Though at least they'll give you an instant iron test.

Tiny - I have very tight shoulders too. A useful stretch to loosen them up is if you get a broom handle, hold it near-ish the ends and lift it over your head to behind your back and then back to the front with straight arms (trying to get your hands closer together on the broom handle if you can) and repeat several times.

• Options

Lit - at least you just have a pain in the arse. Mines in my arse, back, side, hip. Foam rolling and stretching like my life depends on it! Plus spending a fortune on physio. image