Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh, and Lisa, that sounds like a good plan. Glad you are a little bit happier.

• Options

Sorry to hear the crap news Lisa.  Agree with everyone else, please do keep posting here and keep us updated on your aqua running.  It's brilliant that you're staying positive and already thinking about the next goal.

Decided at the last minute to go along to parkrun this morning.  Despite two 50 mile weeks I was feeling really good and decided to go for a PB.  Knocked a whole blimmin' 30 seconds off!! Old PB 22:22, now stands at 21:44.  This marathon training is working wonders, I really did think that I'd be slowing down or at least maintaining speed over shorter distances, not increasing it!

Good idea to give the curry a miss tonight 15w image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hey - well done Lisa!

• Options

Lit - and me! I'm a non running imposter.

Lisa - sorry to hear about the shin. Let me know how the aqua running plan goes, i might give it a go. I really am getting quite sick of the cross trainer!

Tiny - great new PB.

15w - I really didn't need anymore info about your innards. 

Well as of today I am the proud owner of a beautiful blue Bobbin Brownie complete with wicker basket. It is beautiful. However it doesn't fit in our flat. imageso it is currently on the landing. Shouldn't be too much of a problem I hope as we are finally moving a about 3 weeks to our new house. image it's only 21 months since we moved here.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Fiona - that's wonderful news....what is a Bobbin Brownie?

Where do you do this aqua running? They have classes...or do you just go in a pool and run?

God I'm so ignorant.

• Options

I think it is a beautiful bicycle that I want to see pictures of.

• Options

Also, congratulations to Tiny on the PB.

I also got a PB last night, for 10k, despite the course being ludicrously difficult (hills, hairpin bends on gravel), of 40:59. That was because I managed a final burst of 'speed' at the end when I saw the finish clock getting dangerously close to 41. I was knackered though. And TMI alert in 15W style: I remember thinking it is lucky I do pilates and have super-strength pelvic floor muscles, because I was feeling a bit wobbly afterwards and honestly think I'd have pissed myself otherwise. Not much, as I didn't actually need a wee, but all the muscles in my body went a bit jelly-like. Bet you're glad you know that.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Actually...that is pretty interesting. So...do ladies who don't have super strength pelvic floor muscles like yourself often do little wees when racing?

• Options

I wouldn't know.

• Options

15w - I wouldn't know either, but yes a weak pelvic floor often = little leaks.

just in case you are truly not in like know about aqua running - you use a buoyancy aiarty or thing around your waist and then run in deep water at the pool. Apparently as near as damn it to running. Don't know as haven't tried it.

My bobbin brownie is indeed a beautiful bicycle. Photo will follow shortly.

• Options

OOh hurry up and give me bicycle envy with some photos Fiona!

That's a cracking PB Lit, especially on a tough course.  It scares me how people can run sooooo fast for over 6 miles.  Impressive stuff.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning everybody. Good weather for a run here...coolish..bit drizzly. Got 18mi with 12@MP to do once my breakfast has gone down. Hope all ok out there.

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Aqua running as Fiona says is basically running in deep water with the aid of a aqual bouyancy belt - you use this to maintain an upright position so that you can run as true to form as possible in the water. To maintain your running fitness the focus is on doing intervals and pyramid sessions 5-6 times per week, the biggest problem I can forsee will be the boredom factor, hence needing to be pig headed to follow it through - actually the plan itself looks pretty hard core. Apparently your legs resemble jelly as you try to exit the pool though!

Still hoping that the physio will tell me its not a fracture though.

Tiny really well done on your pb - I am thinking that you will easily go sub 3.45hrs, marathon training does really sut you.

15w fingers crossed you keep your breakfast in image

Fiona - ahem photo's please!

Lit bloody hell you are a speed demon image

Chick - take care of that calf (foam roller it into submission) and don't ignore it like I did.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah - Lit is speedy....she is a VLM championship starter...well done on your PB Lit.

• Options

Sorry to hear the crap news Lisa!image And look after that calf Chick.

Well done to Tiny and Lit on your PB's.image

Far too much information as usual 15W - and now Lit's started too!image

Mananged to run/walk/shuffle 20 miles this morning! I'm treating it as more of a mental test than a physical one as I did 4 loops of 5 miles which went past my house so there was plenty of opportunities to short cut or throw in the towel but I didn't. I really hurt now though.image

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

excellent one, lit. nearly forgot how goddamn quick you are. bet you'd run sub 40 on an easier course...

aqua running sounds pretty grim ... but if it helps to maintain fitness it can be endured I think

well done tiny image

13 progressive miles for me d&d. hot, humid, knackered.... wore compression socks looking like a dork but calf seemed fine. the final bit at 7.10 pace knocked me for six. I kind of forgot to eat yesterday and didn't have proper brekkie either. boy, did it show. wish I'd had taken a gel....

• Options

Morning all. 

15w - lets hope you don't have a brown bobbie during your run. 

Lisa  - good luck with the aqua running. 

Some good running over the weekend by others too 

i did my first 20 miler of the campaign. It felt ok apart from the last 2 miles which were hard work. I've woken up this morning to a painful knee which is the ITB issue again. I resembled an old man trying to get down the stairs. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Just back from my run - was pretty successful this time. Kept the 12mi between 6.15 and 6.30min/mi. Knackered now. Might treat my legs to a cold bath.

acp and carter - well done on your 20milers...recover well.

Lisa - if aqua running isn't much fun why don't you just do something that is...like cycling or swimming?

• Options

16 w/ 12MP for me. I found it very hard, partly because I had some Pringles and a melted Kit-Kat for dinner last night and partly because I've run this week's MLs at the quick end of my pace range. It was also very hot and I hadn't pre-stashed enough water.

In fact, the 12 felt like the last 12 of a marathon! I did manage to run them at 3secs/mi quicker than my target MP though.

Very much looking forward to a cut-back week this week!

• Options

15W - the laws of running specificity make aqua running the best replacement for real running. The others don't preserve running fitness so well. Also weight bearing exercise may be a problem I suppose

• Options

Anyway, I bet aqua running is fun. You get a special buoyancy belt and everything! (disclaimer: I once ate snails image just because you get to use cool exciting cutlery).

Some good long runs from everyone else, but could you all start eating proper food, please?

Carter - going down stairs like an old man will be good practice for your post-marathon stair technique.

• Options

Some excellent long runs going on.  Well done, especially those of you who've done the 'big 20' today.  I know I felt so much better once that was out of the way.  Take care carter, gutted that the ITB is still posing a problem for you, must be very frustrating.

I'm officially goosed.  Another race this morning, this time a trail race.  Did it instead of the LT training run as I find it so much easier to hit that pace in a race than just out by myself.  Legs were a little heavy to begin with but I soon found myself surrounded by runners who are normally much further ahead of me - even overtook a few of them!  Definitely taking it easy for the next few days though.  I'm convinced this spell of good running can only last for so long!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I understand that Fiona...but if no fun then the whole running thing becomes a chore...no? Oh yes, forgot, not meant to be fun is it?

One advantage of being home alone is I can please myself which definately helps with the post long run recovery. I do have the dog though...just choosing to ignore the needy stares for now.

• Options

Some good runs this weekend guys.... still keeping my fingers crossed for you Lisa.

Finally got my long run done today... only 19k as it's a recovery week.... pretty jetlagged but it was great to be out early in such pleasant temperatures... only 15c image

• Options

Lit - I'm eating proper food! Lots of liver and red meat during the last week to try and boost the iron levels. I rarely eat any red meat, not because I don't like it, it just doesn't seem to happen! And I always make sure I eat properly the evening before a long run. Can I give myself one of these image ?!

• Options

acp - yes you can, but Chick and Andrews will have to try harder.

• Options

I had every intention of having pasta with a light tomato sauce and some chicken, but I was sent out to a fire before I had a chance to eat, and I didn't get back to the station until around 23:00, which is too late for me to eat.

Our fireground refreshments are crisps and chocolate. They've always been crap, don't arrive for hours - and then get mullered by people who haven't done any work.

• Options

Oh well, you're forgiven this time. Anyway crisps are probably good for runners, for, er, avoiding cramp. What's your excuse though chick?

• Options

Woo hoo.  To add to the list of good achievements from you all  (well, most of you)... I just completed the highest mileage week of my life. Including my fastest 5 mile race for about 20 years and a 17 mile long run... I did 44 miles against a target of 43 for  Wk3 of 12/55.   The worrying thing is that everything has felt just a bit TOO easy. I'm nervous!

Rest day tomorrow.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done Runny Knows....

Peeing it down here today. Got 6mi recovery run at some point. There's a local(ish) 10mi race on sunday...not sure whether to go along or stick to my scheduled 16mi.