Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Bastard.

I think the solution is to get up early and do speedier stuff then. For example, at 7am yesterday I did 3x 1 mile @ 10k pace, 3 x 0.5 miles at 5k pace and 3 x 300m at 1 mile pace with 2 min recoveries. It wasn't much fun, but the only other people out were a few bike commuters along the canal towpath and some confused ducks.

• Options

Had a go at a 5k race tonight - much flatter than my usual parkrun but was five (yes, FIVE!) laps around a park with one bastard of a sharp bend that you had to virtually walk around to not fall over or crash into the cones.  Very shiny new PB of 21:04 and scooped my first ever running prize as part of the ladies team image.  Mega chuffed.  This calls for celebratory beer.  Will no doubt regret the celebratory beers when getting up for the 16 miler in the morning........

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Nice one Tiny - well done. Enjoy that beer. I would join you, but I am training for a marathon so don't drink.

• Options

Well done Tiny - thats brilliant

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all.

7mi recovery run for me today.

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Tiny - Very well done indeed!

Lit - I'm impressed with your intervals early am. How much breakfast do you have before this sort of session?  

I ask as I tried a 5x800 metres interval set this morning, starting before 7, but with no breakfast and at (I would guess) 25 degrees Celsius. My garmin-setting skills let me down, and I managed to set it up for 5x1000m, plus warm-up and cool-downs.  My performance was poor, approximately 15-20 seconds per km slower than target pace.  Heart rate was quite low, which is odd.

Normally I have a light breakfast before a run, but that wasn't possible today.

• Options

Well done Tiny! This calls for one of these: image

SGB - No breakfast, just a small glass of orange juice to, er, get things moving. I'd had quite a big dinner the night before though and was a small bit quicker than my target zones. It was much cooler here at that time too.

I don't usually eat before a run because I wouldn't be bothered getting up early enough to digest it, though when I was doing 20-milers as part of marathon training I used to have a flapjack or something first, especially if I hadn't got up as early as planned and it was going to be lunchtime before I'd finished. 

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Lit - That's pretty impressive!  I usually have a light breakfast before even a six-mile  run. That seems to digest fine in 20 minutes, though a big breakfast seems to take much longer, and I usually do have a big breakfast plus take shotbloks with me before a 15+ mile run. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

you know...being an internet shopaholic and also a bit of a mug I bought myself some skins compression tights. I am wearing them now. Very odd.

• Options

Pictures, 15W?

PS: SGB - I notice from my profile-stalking (only to check back and remind myself what you said your marathon goals were, honest!) that you were planning to do the Tunbridge Wells half this year. Did you? I did and that massive hill was a right bastard.

• Options

Is that exactly what they look like on you, then?

• Options

16 miles with 12 at MP for me today.  It was tough, I didn't take enough water and when I took my shoes off after I'd finished I had a sock full of blood.  Put me right off my dinner that did.

Challenged myself to do all the MP miles at 8:45 or under (should be 8:45 - 9:00 but have been thinking of adjusting my MP lately).  Managed to do them all between 8:17 and 8:33 so pretty chuffed with that.  Felt like death by mile 16 though.

Nice pecs 15W image

lit - mega impressive sessions before breakfast - you're a machine!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

that is me Lit...and thanks Tiny - and also well done on what sounds like a very tough run.

• Options

Woo ...Well done Tiny, I have the session you did today scheduled for Sunday and im dreading it, I find it very tough go get to marathon pace for that length of a run when I run on my own plus I'm in Ireland for the weekend and it will be run on hills so little chance of hitting planned MP.

Looks like you might he you re-think your MP pace Tiny? Sock full of blood sounds nasty.

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Lit - Thanks.  No problem with stalking!  Yes I did the Tunbridge Wells half again this year. I live there and belong to the Tunbridge Wells Harriers, who organise the half. It's a great race, and I help by pacing, at 2:10, which is quite a bit slower than I would now aim to race it. The 2010 half was the first race I ever did, and, so far, the wettest by some distance. At one stage I was running through water over my ankles. I've done the race three times now.  The hill is a tough one, I agree, probably the toughest I've ever done in a race. 

I hope you enjoyed the race. It was a bit cold this year!

Unless my VO2 max gets better I can forget my marathon goals for Chester 2013!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

SGB - VO2 not necessarily a major factor in determining your marathon goals...running 800m intervals very different to running 26.2 miles...maybe base it more on how you get on with your long runs with mp miles and/or your tempo runs; or more so a half/10mi race...

8 or 9 miles for me today. Bit soggy here this morning.

• Options

Injured image . A real pain in my left calf. Going from walking to running is very painful, but once running it just hurtsimage.  I'm still running the schedule, luckily on a cut-back week, but I don't know if I'll be able to keep it going.

Mashing my calf with a golf ball and trying to foam roller when I can.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Maybe take a few days off running andrews...need to give it a chance to recover before you make it any worse...

• Options

andrews - sports massage might help too - I find it really hard to get a foam roller to go deep enough on my calves because I can't get enough weight on it. And the pain could be coming from tightness elsewhere too.

• Options

Sorry to hear about your injury Andrews148, I've had a few calf problems before and they all stemmed (as literatin says) from having very tight glutes and hamstrings.
    a few days rest on a cut-back week might not do any harm.

• Options

Debutant - every problem I've ever had running has been down to tight glutes. Sitting on a golf ball as I type.

• Options

Lit - glad to hear it isn't just me. image I really must procure a tennis ball from somewhere for my TFL. Apparently that is just the ticket for the tender hip I have.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

you all need a jolly good bum massage.

• Options

you volunteering?

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

of course...as long as you are all scrubbed up. Remember I am home alone, except for the dog of course, and he won't say anything.

• Options

Ah - on second thoughts it turns out I might be busy tonight.

Oh, and sorry SGB - meant to say that I did enjoy the race and even managed a (small) PB despite the big hill and the other smaller hill. Was just glad it didn't snow (much).

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭

Hope you all enjoyed your massages last night image I could have done with one too. No running for a week as we've been on hols. Instead, I have been hill walking. Walked 5 days out of 7, varying distances with our shortest walk being 7 miles and a total of 8 Munros done. My knees are feeling it! Hoping to get out for a long run tomorrow but will play it by ear. 

Really hoping that the walks will help me endurance ways as most day involved walking of 5 hours or more with just short breaks. Time will tell.

15W - like the new gear image

Andrews - take care of yourself. No point pushing on & doing a greater injury. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Clag, is no bad thing having a week's break from running. Watch those knees though.

6 or 7mi easy for me today.

Might go and see the Alan Partridge film this afternoon.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

also...womens marathon in moscow this afternoon...