Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Should be first day of taper...  but only managed 10 miles last week.  So I think it best not to reduce that amount image

Going to see if I can fit in yesterday's long run in straight after work.

• Options

Thanks for the reply Lit. I was thinking of something slightly faster than my LSR pace so that kind of fits in! And how do you go about getting coaching from another forumite? I guess you already need to be pretty good....! image

And sorry to everybody who IS running a marathon for posting non-marathon queries!image

• Options

acp - I think you just hang around on enough silly non-training threads being obnoxious until someone offers. As for 'faster than LSR pace' it depends how you decided what your LSR pace is. I don't differentiate between easy & LSR pace, but the pace is based on my race times so it's manageable.

Anyway, that lot'll all be grateful for the non-marathon talk when they finish their races and have nothing to fill the empty, meaningless, marathonless void. image

• Options

Will fill the void with planning base building for London 2014 image

• Options

I'll be filling mine with alcohol.

• Options

Both good strategies, Ryan & 15W. I was reminded to actually apply for London 2014 yesterday by the threads with people fretting about impending ballot results, so I'll be there too. image

• Options
    Have you not already got your GFA/Champ entry in for London, Lit?

BTW, I got a Boston place so I'm doing 'a Fiona' ....VLM 2014 with Boston a week later imageimage (I don't know how to do the party popper emoticon thingy)
  • Options

image image image

Congrats on the Boston place, Shazmo!

Champs entry for London opened (and closes) later than GFA, so I had to wait to apply then forgot all about it. Haven't paid up though as I don't have to till January.

• Options

Feeling good today image.  Went to training as usual last night (and ran there and back.....) and legs feel great today.  I did run at a very easy pace though.  GOt absolutely soaked!  Rest day today.

Ooh Boston, well done Shazmo!  Have some party poppers from me too imageimageimage

I think Lit also deserves some for her Championship place imageimageimage

Hope those who are marathoning this weekend are tapering nicely?

• Options

I'm going mental!!

Fervently checking the weather forecast which is looking pretty hot at the moment (21/22 degrees). Have discovered that the water stations only have paper cups which I'm uselsss at drinking out of!! The stations only have water so these things together are making me lean towards taking my running belt to carry some Lucozade. Any thoughts?

• Options

What have you done your training runs with Ryan?  Have you practised your long runs with your belt?

• Options
    Thank you image

Ah OK Lit.....you had me worried for a minute and trawled through my old emails to check I'd not got mixed re my London place and had I actually got one!!

Hmmm, tricky one Ryan - if you're used to running with a belt then yeah, go for it. You could always ditch it on the way round if it starts to bug you (if you don't mind taking the hit on the cost) and then use the paper cups. I like to keep in a rhythm running so stopping for a drink from a paper cup would bug me.

At my local races they ask you at the start if you've any drinks/gel etc you want taking out to various drinks stations along the course. We just bring our own bottle with name on it and hand it over. Worth checking if this facility is available at your race - apologies, I don't know how big an even it it.
  • Options

No facility for dropping bottles as far as I know - there's nothing in the info about it. I always use a camelbak for long runs but previous to that I used the belt with no real problems. It's reasonably comfortable and I think the peace of mind that carrying it will give me is probably worth the small amount of time I'll lose by carrying it. I'd be happy to ditch it if necessary

• Options
    Sounds like a plan! Just don't leave car keys or similar in it if you do ditch itimage

Hope the weather turns cool for you (or whatever you prefer). Good luck!! image
  • Options

Morning all.

Shazmo - well done on your Boston place...very exciting.

Ryan - DON'T PANIC! What time is the marathon? It is september so hopefully won't be that warm in the morning. You could take the bottles if that gives you peace of mind, and carrying lucozade will tick both the hydration and carb boxes...or just cope with the cups. You only need a couple of gulps at each water station. Most important thing is to relax...get plenty of sleep...don't stress....eat well....etc...

• Options

I'm asking myself the same questions re. the belt.... I use one in training but need 4x250ml bottles in it... this alone is a kilo more in weight.

I might take a hybrid approach.... take a couple of 250ml bottles of drink and use them between aid stations where I'll just take the water... I'll need something to carry my gels in anyway and the belt has loops for these.

Good luck anyway.

• Options

9mi with 5x600 today for me. Not sure whether the intervals will be outside or on the treadmill yet.

• Options

Starts at 10am - hopefully there will be some cloud cover on the day.

I'm going to trial the belt with 2/4 bottles filled this afternoon to make sure it's feasible and then take it with me and decide on the morning. As Mark says above, it will make carrying the Shot Bloks easier and give me easy access to liquid if the paper cups are too difficult.

• Options

I quite like paper/plastic cups, but then I am like 15W in that I never want more than a couple of sips anyway. I suppose it's too late to practise with cups?

• Options

I've tried using cups at races before but can only get a decent amount in my mouth (and not all over my face!) if I slow to a walk. Multiply the time lost by the 7/8 water stations then I reckon I'm probably better off carrying it as I take in quite a lot of liquid when it's warm. 

I'm just a bit dubious about it as I've not seen anyone finishing around me (at marathons) who has been carrying any liquid

• Options

Is it laps? Know anyone who can supply drinks along the route?

• Options
    Ryan Snell wrote (see)

I'm just a bit dubious about it as I've not seen anyone finishing around me (at marathons) who has been carrying any liquid

Presumably you haven't done a marathon with paper cups either, or you wouldn't be fretting about it now. So maybe everyone around you will be carrying liquid this time.

• Options

Good point Literatin image

No, it's not laps unfortunately 15W - I'm sure the belt will work out fine in the end

• Options

I think we should all get down to the New Forest and we can be Ryan's personal drink stations. What do you think? Unfortunately I won't be able to make it as have a marathon to train for.

• Options

I've started carb loading already.

• Options
  • Options

Morning all. 14mi for me today. Everyone ok?

• Options

I'm OK! Just not training for a marathon anymore so now an imposter like Lit et al!image

Finally had test results which confirm low iron and therefore anaemia so I shall carry on taking the iron tablets. I think they're are having an effect as my runs don't feel quite so hard and my HR is back to normal. Bit late to stll do the marathon though!

Enjoy that 14miles 15W.image

• Options
    Yes, all good thanks 15W...got a slight bum cheek niggle, but manageable. Got a few days off after tomorrow anyway as I'm of to London for long weekend, so hopefully it'll settle.

Ryan's support crew could go camping - weather looks pleasant enough this weekend. Beer, disposable BBQ image