Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Sorry your race didn't go as planned Ryan but as others have said you know what went wrong and how to fix it, and it's still a very good marathon time, so well done!

Mark that sounds grim, not a fan of downhills either, hopefully your legs will recover within a few days.

I did a HM yesterday, had no sleep due to pre-race nerves so was seriously considering pulling out of it. However it was a club race and we were in with a good chance of team prizes so I did it. 1.27 xx on a undulating course, really pleased with the result as I was starting to worry that I'd never get under 1.30 again.

• Options

Well done velloo, that's a fab time on an undulating course!

Ryan - well done for hanging on in there at the end.  I know it's not the time you wanted but it's still a damn good time!  And it's definitely a stark warning for the rest of us about setting off too quickly, so thank you for giving us an honest report.  Hope you're recovering well.

Had a fabulous weekend in the Lakes.  Camping doesn't make for ideal race prep but it's a hell of a lot of fun!  Did the Great Langdale Half marathon but plan called for 17 miles so I went off and did a 4 mile warm up before the start.  I think I paced it quite well.  It's a really, really tough course and the biggest hill is at mile 2.  Started off slow and sped up gradually.  Didn't want to push too much as it was only supposed to be a LSR.  Finished in 1:49 and was really happy with that.  Did a couple of miles cool down too.

I also counted towards our club winning the ladies' team prize.  Got a bottle of plonk and a hug and kiss off Ron Hill image.

• Options

Got my number through the post the other day so will add it to the list.  Anyone else got their numbers to add please so I can get stalking on race day?!

Shazmo - Isle of Man Mountain Ultra - Sept 28 sub 10 hrs (no, really) 

15West - Chester - Oct 6th sub 2:50 

Phil R - Chester - Oct 6th 3:20 

Runny Knows - Chester - Oct 6th sub 3:50 

Debutant - Chicago - Oct 13th 3:10 

TR85 - York - Oct 20th 3:45   Bib number 1858

M.arkF - Strasbourg - Oct 27th - 3:15

Shazmo (again) - Dublin - Oct 28 - to run an evenly paced race, post Ultra 

Velloo - Nice - Nov 10th 3.15 

• Options

Oh no.....have I broken the thread?!

13 miles done here tonight.  Hope the niggles are sorting themselves out 15W?

*tumbleweed*

• Options
    I'm here, Tiny! No race number for me yet...will have the pleasure of receiving that on Saturday morning at 7am (race starts at 7.30!!!!!!) and besides, it's not possible to stalk me on this particular race.
  • Options

Er, I know my race number for VLM next year. Seems a bit early to put it on there though.

Shazmo - race number stalking is also for results and photos. image

• Options

15West - Chester - Oct 6th sub 2:50    Bib number 1858

• Options

Morning all. The dreaded week 2 of taper here. Got 8mi with some sprints today.

• Options

Have you made an error 15W or do you have excatly the same race number as me?!

• Options

Ah!

Copy and paste.

and now I am at work so don't have my number on me

Sorry Tiny...you'll have to change yours now...or defer or something...

• Options

I still chuckle at the thread by the guy who got his race pack through, and complained to organisers that his number hadn't printed properly... there were just 4 vertical lines on the bib.

The way the thread developed, and his dawning realisation that he was number 1111, and his honest and humorous demeanor afterwards, made it the funniest thread I've seen on here.

• Options

Yeah- that thread is legendary.

• Options

Found it.

15West - Chester - Oct 6th sub 2:50    Bib number 1552

• Options

Phew, glad I don't have to defer now image

Where's everybody else on the list?  I know we've unfortunately lost some due to injury but I'm sure we had loads of folk doing an autumn mara at the start of this thread......

Hope the taper is going well Shazmo

• Options

TD85 there were quite a few who weren't really doing marathons as well. 12m easy this morning, massage tonight. 

• Options

Yep, massive gang of impostors. HeOw is still doing one though but has abandoned the path of P&D righteousness.

Btw, didn't say well done velloo on your undulating 1:27:xx which totally kicks the shit out of my half marathon PB. I unscientifically take this to mean that there is no way you won't also kick the shit out of 3:15.

• Options

Tiny, i'm still here, no race number yet though.
    There is a tracking app for the Chicago marathon so you can do some proper stalking!!
    Decided to get a sports massage tonight too, get some life back in the legs.
    vello you are looking very strong to smash your target.

• Options

Feel a little fraudulent posting my race details as I've been more of a lurker than a regular contributor

StewartC - Baxters Loch Ness Marathon - Sept 29th - Sub 4 Bib Number 570

• Options

Sorry no race number here. I've still to attempt my 5 minute run. Maybe I'll do a spot of cross training after that. image

• Options

Abandoned P&D! I practically pray to that book now, it's the first time me and OH have managed a sustained block of training without injury (although it's not over yet). I've got such bad pacing that I could easily blow up during the marathon... 

• Options

Practice your marathon pace as much as poss then velloo...does Nice have pacers? Is Nice nice?

• Options

Andrews148 - Jersey - Oct 6th sub 2:55 deferred due to injury

Grrr image

I've used a lot of online forums over the years, but this one has the worst software by a county mile.

• Options

andrews - just copy and paste, don't bother with the quote thingy...

Andrews148 - Jersey - Oct 6th sub 2:55 deferred due to injury

• Options

15W it does have pacers, I'll probably follow the 3.15 ones for the first few miles and see how I feel. The first half of the course is flat, the second half undulating from what i can gather, so I'm wondering if I should bank a bit of time... Nice will be nice once I've finished my first bottle of post-race wine!

• Options

Hi Stewart - thanks for putting your details on - more stalking to do image

Ooh make sure you give us details of the tracker app thingymajig please Debutant when you know more.  I absolutely loved tracking all my friends when they were doing the London mara.  I got a bit over-enthusiastic and starting screaming at my lap top when my friend (who was aiming for sub-3) crossed the line well under his target.  Also had the finish line on the red button thingy on the telly.  Well exciting but I am a geek and very easily pleased.

• Options

Oh jaysus Tiny - that's extra pressure now!

I had a tracker app linked to my facebook for the Paris marathon, it posted my 5km splits on my wall and my friends were all posting on each split trying to work out if I was on schedule or not.
    It was well cool reading the posts after the marathon especially as I only beat my target by 19secs.

Vello I do like to have some time in the bank too but all the experts say to do even splits if possible.

12 MLR for me tonight nice to see the mileage come down a wee bit, Then it's off to a Tom Payn talk, Tom is an elite athletic manager and a 2:17 marathon runners himself so might get a few tips!

• Options

Quiet on here...! Has taper madness silenced everybody?image

I know she wasn't doing a marathon but where is that other imposter Chickadee??!! She hasn't posted on here for ages.

• Options

Morning acp.

Just going slowly mad here. Actually...I'm doing ok. Bit busy with work at the mo. Got 9mi with 3x1600m today. Last speedwork session before Chester.

• Options

There is too much madness in my home to be allowed any taper madness...

Like 15W did 3 x 1 mile today. So close to a sub-6 min mile. Now I will have to wait until the end of my next P&D schedule to try again!

• Options

Delurking for a few mins.  I am also hitting taper madness 15W, in fact, I am ** this **  far from shaving my head, a la Britney Spears.   

I haven't totally flung P&D out of the window, I have basically used similar way of training (done the 8, 10, 12, 14 MRP miles in long runs, along with more MRP miles), done a medium run, a tempo/speed sesh etc but just not followed the plan.  Following plans turns me into a motherfucker. 

ACP - what are your plans now you have found out iron levels are low, are you going to do a marathon eventually?