Options

Well that ban didnt last very long did it Runners World?

Comments

• Options

It appears Ben may have removed David Falconar!

• Options

He could be working though I guess!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    www.fetcheveryone.com wrote (see)

What David did yesterday amounted to little more than pressing "submit" lots of times with some random post content. I don't consider it to be a security breach

You may not consider it to be a security breach, but it sounds like you are wide open to a denial of service attack.

• Options
    JF50 wrote (see)

Nah, I reckon he's gone again, temporarily.  

I have visions of him bashing away at his keyboard frantically like a mad scientist, trying to circumvent the RW servers, steam coming out of his ears, and his white lab coat flapping around behind him.

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

So what right did Fetcheveryone have to ask RW to ban him too and why should RW do what htey are asked? Perhaps we should all meet up on the AThletics Weekly Forums. 

Have to agree I did go over to Fetch to have a look and there is nothing that grabs my attention, the whole layout looks very amateurish

• Options
    Pudge wrote (see)
    JF50 wrote (see)

I have visions of him bashing away at his keyboard frantically like a mad scientist, trying to circumvent the RW servers, steam coming out of his ears, and his white lab coat flapping around behind him.

image I have visions of him picking up his flask of weak lemon drink and going off to find a new hobby (and dedicated forum, of course) to try this week

• Options

I wouldn't say wide open - within a few minutes, his IP address was blocked at a server level.

• Options

For the record, from an observer of last night's goings on, there was no 'mouthful of abuse' from Fetch (quite frankly he's simply not the type) or its members.  in fact, DF3 was being largely ignored and the thread in question had gone off on a complete tangent that didn't involve DF3 in any sense until he decided throwing obnoxious adolescent comments around, something similar to his 'piss off' comment on page one here, which again were ignored in place of randomness and banter.

• Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Fetch, I was trying to back you up and it wasn't meant as any sort of criticism.  I have a lot of respect for what you have achieved.  What I meant was that RW pay a lot of money for someone else to maintain their website, from what I understand.  If I was paying someone to do the job for me I would expect a better service than what they get.

You on the other hand are still looking after Fetch out of personal pride, even if there is a financial reward for you.  It is your baby and something you are rightly proud of.  I think that makes Fetch a different type of website to RW.

And before RW get upset too, it was not a personal criticism to any of the individuals that work for RW, but you can't expect individuals that have been with any company a short period of time to have the same emotional involvement as someone who effectively set up his own business

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

it begs the question - why the fuck dont Rodale join the RW and Fetch sites together??

seems stupid to have both

ach - I can't be arsed with RW much these days, so I'll go off to some other fora I frequent for some fun

• Options

I Guess The Advice May Have Gone Down A Little Better If He Wasnt So Obnoxious. 

Shame If The Ban Blocks His Good Lady As Well Though, Who Actually Seemed To Be Interested In Running

Apologies The Capitalisation. Phone Being Weird.

• Options

Caz - sorry - my whole post read as though it was a rebuttal of what you'd said - I suppose I didn't want anyone to go away with the impression that I was an amateur (although I'm happy to acknowledge it when it comes to graphic design). You are right though, I do love the site. No, not in that way image

CD - thanks for the backup - a lot of Fetchies were disappointed that the thread got pulled, because they had a great time in there image

Grendel - Fetch and RW are owned by the same company.

xine - way to go with the Simon Quinlank image

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    www.fetcheveryone.com wrote (see)

I wouldn't say wide open - within a few minutes, his IP address was blocked at a server level.

I'm not going to "test" it for you image. As long as you're happy you have the processes in place. I was more concerned that you seemed to be dismissing this type of attack as of no consequence.

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Can't see what DF did to RW though (assuming he has been blacklisted)?
    Ok so he may have "pressed submit" a few times through Fetch, but why then run to RW asking for sanctions, where he has, as far as I know, not been trying to spam the RW system.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Whilst we're talking about fetch in a positive way, the "heart beats per mile" feature on the training log is a very useful indicator of fitness, I find.

You're welcome!

Uncle Phil

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

So to have a forum name of www.fetcheveryone.com isn't spam then - please tell me that the AW forum isn't owned by the same company as well?

• Options

image I was wondering if anyone would get that ... now I'm going to check out the other place *slopes over to Fetch*

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Phil - but if you don't have a HRM its a useless feature...

• Options

Perhaps as well as the IP address being blocked there is some kind of "running" filter been applied and DF3 can't get through it.

• Options
    JF50 wrote (see)

Perhaps as well as the IP address being blocked there is some kind of "running" filter been applied and DF3 can't get through it.

*snort*

• Options

Apologies to anyone who has logged an issue with the forum/site, we do really appreciate your input and in an ideal world would love to be able to thank you all individually. We'll try and be better at reporting to you what's happening.

• Options
    Pudge wrote (see)
    JF50 wrote (see)

Ha ha, yeah, me too - like Professor Frink on acid image

• Options

Ben

Your first psot on this thread makes you look like a cock.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ben RW wrote (see)

You're writing scripts to intentionally spam forums and you're making statements like "I could have easily wrecked the whole thing". Why wouldn't we ban you? Report security issues like normal people, we know you can write scripts, well done, but you surely can't expect to behave like this and not expect a swift reaction? You actively attempt to break the forum so why should you be allowed to use it. 

This.

Some pretty ill behaviour DF, I'd have thought an instant ban would be the minimum reward for that!

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Have I got this right?

So Fetch was claiming that his site was very secure.

DF3 demonstrated that, actually, it wasn't.

Fetch thows his toys out of the pram, then gets his big brother RW to beat up the nasty bigger boy?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Maxpower North West wrote (see)

Ben

Your first psot on this thread makes you look like a cock.

How!? Do you condone someone messing a site up, and throwing in threats to break it!?

• Options

Tenjiso - I'm glad image I wasn't dismissing this kind of attack - DOS is pretty nasty (although not so bad as DDOS!).

Dustin - what he had was a piece of code that was submitting the relevant HTML form repeatedly - so in theory he could have done it any number of times. It booted him off the Fetch forum within a few minutes, but as it was gone 11pm, and as I wasn't sure whether the RW forum would have the same protection, it was my suggestion to block the account. How long that block remains for is not down to me.

Grendel - not to my knowledge image I'll drop the URL from my name though, if that helps.

• Options

Wilkie - did you read my post from 3.17pm?