Options

My name is ???????? and i am gonna seriously get my sh!t in one sock

Comments

• Options

Hi, I'm Siggy and I'm fat.  image  I need to lose 2 stone and need to start loving the bike in order to get around Nice.  
    Recently discovered I have a muscle imbalance which pulls my kneecap out of alignment which, in turn, causes lots of pain.  However, if I strap it and pull it over the pain is significantly lessened.
    So, I need to the weight off, get on the bike and HTFU.  image

Oh, swimming isn't really a problem for me.  First time, properly, in open water since Outlaw last year and I managed just over the hour for the 3K.  Wished I'd have gone for the 5K now!  Need to swim a bit more as am doing the Dart 10K in September!

• Options

Captain Picard (OC), image  where do you get your interval sessions from?  Do you do them on a turbo?

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

buttercup - it is just quite a long way for me so I'll have to think about it. Doesn't help that I have meetings after school on Thursdays making time a bit tighter. I'll have a think and talk to OH to see if it would work out

• Options

OC what are the interval sessions?  I am happy with my strength up want to up my top end speed for Nice

• Options
    TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

Quick question for people's thoughts?

have a tacx turbo with 10 resistance settings and I want to put a interval brick set into my training. Planning on using audiofuel ride harder 2 (40 min set) followed by run faster 2 (40 min) as a weekly brick . Start at resistance 5 and increase  each month. Theory is that it is a hard mid week session working on both bike and run limiters that I can easily measure.

what do people think?

• Options

1 limiter at a time according to gordo IIRC

• Options

We're gonna need a bigger sock 

need to lose some weight .. Ok quite a lot of weight ... How ? Stop eating so much junk and comfort food .. So have now printed several copies of the awful stuffing my face with curry at outlaw pic as seen on arsebook And stuck them around the house where all the nice food is . 

need to seriously improve on hills .. How .. Get out and ride hills .. will make a point of finding hills rather than avoiding them when I get out on the bike

Need to speed up on the bike .. I'm still a group d pace rider .. Not sure how to speed up but have started doing some time trials to focus on speed.  Open to other suggestions.

run faster ..probably the hardest area to improve as have a similar knee issue to siggy. Had one operated on and it made it worse so have to accept that they are shot and that it will hurt a bit .. That said haven't been as bad with change to a mid/fore foot run style .. so I guess my run target should be to improve on technique and posture .

faster transitions ... Pack less stuff so that I don't faff deciding which shorts , socks , gloves , etc etc to put on . 

And finally sort out some of the personal shit that's really screwing up my training .

I need a giants football sock for that lot ..

in summary 

15 and some stone ... Target 13.5

hills ... Target .. Walk up less of them 

Ave bike speed from 13/14 to 15/16 or better  with a 10 mile under 25 mins 

run speed .. 11.5 min miles down to 10 min miles (for 8 or more miles) 

the other stuff is more complicated unfortunately . 

• Options

intervals are the spawn of the devil.

Sigi - I have a coach as I was once trying to go fast.... now I am broken I still use him as I find it motivational, it keeps me swimming, and he rides so much faster than I do image
    He is cheaper than a gym membership. or 2 PT sessions a month, and way better value.  I now understand the volume of training needed to be 'good'. Doing a trainig camp with some good people also drummed it home

anyway 

I used to alternate bike commute / run commute in the week,

ie Mon bike in, bike home
    Tue doube run - run in, run home
    Wed extended commute in with intervals in Richmond Park, run home
    Thu long run in, ride home

The interval included something like 3* 15 minutes @half IM effort hr 155, 5 mins easy hr 100

go do 10 hill climbS (4 mns up 2 down)

If I missed  the extended commute (bed) the I used a spin bike at lunch and did 3* (10 MINS HARD, 5 MINS EASY/RECOVER)  oops

so my medium wed ride was 2.5 hrs with the middle hour being realy tough
    or steady (hah) bike commute in and batter yoursef for a 45/60 min session at lunch. then run home..... v tired

• Options

My name is Pea and i'm an alcoh....oh, wrong thread image

Right, well i'm 72 lbs overweight, and this is my main issue.  I'm a slow runner, but weight loss will help that.  Not been on a bike since Regensburg image, not sure i've swum since either?!  Anyway, current desire is to shift the weight, and get in the gym.

So......this weekend i'm going to set myself a gym programme (got a few books, had some programmes made up in the past, so will review them). Want to get in the gym 2-3 times a week.  Also got a half marathon at end of Sept. so need to keep the running up for that.  Need to find a training plan for it now that mara from hell is over.

Food wise I know what I need to do, so this weekend is also going to be about planning my meals for the week, getting the food in and cooking for lunches so I don't buy shit at work.  Next week will be a bit challenging as i'm not at home from Wed - Sunday, but will do my best to eat well.  I'll report progress.

Good luck everyone!

• Options

and lee - the bike is great exercise, and a great mode of transport.
    as is walking

we have a couple of guys in our office who now walk 2 hrs a day for the last 4 months and its made a massive differnece

• Options

I know, I need to start cycling to work, it is ridiculously close......  I think i've still not got over the joy of having a 10 min drive to work over a 60-90 min drive that i've become ridiculously lazy.  Right, i'll add to the list of things to do - sort bike shit out so I can ride to work image

• Options

Not ridden since Regensburg?  You may need to put some air in the tyresimage

• Options

Hahahaha, i do!

• Options

My name is JvR and I need to lose weight.

I need to get back in the pool at least twice a week, get back on the bike and start running again.

• Options

I'll nail my colours to the mast too.

My name is Hope and I hate swimming. Am quite rubbish at it and despite 121 lessons, swim for tri courses and lots of JFDI I have made little/no progress.

I enjoy OW swimming. And quite like swimming when I have no watch so am unaware of just how desperate it is... But that's it.

I can do the distance, but it's a slow and quite pathetic affair.

I've become really good at dodging swim sessions and doing something else instead. Have been known to be 'washing my hair' rather than hit the pool.

I *am* going to nail swim avoidance this year, and improve my swim time. 

• Options

Hope, you need Garr to gee you up a bit!!

Cheers OC!  Not sure I'm 'that' dedicated to get a trainer!  But I will start some exercise this week!  Pool, or OW as I hate the pool!  Some cycling and maybe a jog around the block to kick start my training for Nice!

Think I'll also pop along to the local Tri Club!

• Options

Out on the bike for a speedy couple of hours with a 6 mile TT included on the only flatish road around here managed to maintain 24 /25 mph for that stretch

Followed that with some endurance gardening off to Looe in a mo with daughter for some OW swimming and the wetsuit is staying at home

• Options

I have a few targets over the next 6-9 months. 

Firstly complete the London marathon in four hours. 

Secondly get used to riding my new (read first) road bike that I pick up in two weeks.

Thirdly become as proficient at front crawl as I am breast stroke - I'm looking for a 30ish minute 1500 As that is what I currently do when swimming breast stroke. 

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

My name is Alibear30 and I'm slow.

Swim I've not come up with a plan for yet...

Bike - go out with local VC to up my speed and improve my hill climbing. Done this twice already this week and the difference is notable.

Run - go to tri-club track sessions once a week to speed up , do park run on a Sat to again work on speed and get time comparison then add in a long run once a week.

Talk very nicely to knowledgeable pirates and get as much help as I can.

The above is plan A and may be subject to change.

• Options

My name is Citizen and I am not related to Stanners.image

Liking this thread, and after analysis of UK 70.3 and the Outlaw have decided the following:

Knee surgery prevents run training but the bike can get quicker , need to seek out the hills and spend the Winter on my MTB looking for really tough ups, as well as using the road bike.

Need to use the turbo trainer that is permanetly set up as a ''object d'art''.

Tertiary aim to get down from 12.5 to 11.5 stone ( will settle for

• Options

will settle for

• Options

god dam computing skill, less than twelve stoneimage

• Options

Sea swim done and so proud of daughter Frankie wjo a few of you met at outlaw her first proper off shore sea swim she was right on my tail the water was lovely glad we left the wetsuits at home MUST get as enthusiastic for the pool on mondayimage

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

right, as part of my general strategy I have booked myself onto a swimsmooth swim squad starting in Septemberimage Hopefully by xmas my swim will have improved loads

I also managed to resist the temptation to have an ice cream today. 

Going to take my bike off the turbo, put the outside wheel back on ready to cycle in the outside world tomorrow

• Options

Sounds good, where are you doing that Mathschick?

Well done RBM and Frankie image Sounds like she's a chip off the old block!! 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

near Loughborough - it is about an hour's drive each way for me, but I did do a one day clinic with the guy back in January and he is really good. The sessions are an hour and a half long, so not as long in the pool as in the car, but if I see big improvements then it will be worth it - I think buttercup posted the link to his page further up the thread somewhere

I am hoping buttercup will come too image

• Options

Way to go Frankie!  Today was definitely the day to be out in the water - it's sweltering here.

Exile that is a wickedly fast breast stroke! 

• Options

Thanks MC, I'll have a look for the link

• Options

I swam in the sea today. 

That was nice. No wetsuit. Lovely stuff.

I'm planning on joining Cardiff Mastes swim peeps on Monday.... Unless I'm washing my hair! 

• Options

You'll be able to wash your hair in a post-swim shower Hope!image