Options

The new home the RW sub 3:30 now heading for 3:15

Comments

• Options

Afternoon All,

Phew... Lots of tempo & intervals in this hot weather... I salute you!image

Absolutely bugger all running in Loompa Land i'm afraid.image Even managed to wake the OH last night when i shot out of bed like a scalded cat because my bloody knee locked solid whilst asleep and then did the "clicky thing"! image

But on the bright side, i now know what the problem is... Had the M.R.I results this morning and i have a bone growth on both the outside of my patella and on my femur which is what causes the clicking. The groove where the patella sits is worn flat, so the patella is not very well located and combined with the bone spur, pulls the knee cap across to the outside.image 

Now awaiting a date for surgery to get rid of the growth and also another M.R.I on the other knee as he's fairly sure that it will be the same, so they will operate on one knee at a time. Sounds like it could be a long, drawn out process, but hopefully worthwhile in the end?image

On the upside he hasn't said "Stop running"... YET!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Oompa - that's quite good news in a way?  The bone spur will be easy enough removed but what about the bit that's worn flat? 

Z- we had  a family get together at The Ship on Hayling Island - my cousin lives there (On Hayling, not at the Ship). Yes, there's loads of boats. 

• Options

Minni - Don't think there's a lot that they can do as it's just wear & tear? I'll just have to get used to running in knee supports.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

If it's any help on of my rumining buddies was told at 48 he needed 2 new knees but they wouldn't do it till he was 60. Told not to run or e en walk long distances. He adopted the knee supports for a year or so but now runs 'naked' and has done loads of marathons since then.   He still has trouble off road and finds steep downhills hard but apart from that he's flying. 

• Options
    Hi guys. I just started a 16 week marathon training programme for a marathon in November and I'm just 2 weeks into it. Last week I did a 5k park run in 22:10. Looking at the predictors, that gives a temptingly close time to 3:30 that made me want to have a look in here image I did a 4:05 marathon 5 or 6 years ago but hobbled the last 6 miles of that. Ouch. Haven't done any racing since. Reckon I have any hope?
  • Options

Minni - I've already put my order in for a pair of knees like Steve Austin's!image

nce - Welcome. 22.10 is a very respectable 5k time.image What are your pb's for 10k and half marathon? What 16 week programme (if any) are you following? You'll find that the majority on this thread advocate P & D Advanced Marathoning schedules, if you do not have one?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Nce - it's impossible to predict a marathon from a 5k. I'd be looking at doing a HM now to get your starting point for paces etc and another in Oct see where you're at. 

• Options
    Hi Minni. Yeah, I know it's a bit early to have any confidence in an expected marathon time yet. I'm sure I'll have an idea nearer the time after I've done a few longer races. I've got a 10k booked in a couple of weeks, and am on the lookout for a half somewhere too. I'm following the RW 16 week marathon training programme by heart rate, which I'm not all that sure about, but will give it a go for this marathon anyway. My PB for 10k is a bit dated, I think it was 41:30 or something, and my PB for a half was 1:35. I remember that well, because I did the PB for a half in that 4:05 marathon! Anyway, these are 5+ years old, so I've basically started the slate clean again.
  • Options
    Oh and thanks Oompa. I somehow thought Minni had posted twice. Now you remind me, I actually do have advanced marathoning somewhere, but I haven't actually got around to reading it yet. I forgot I bought it.
  • Options

Mrs R's due date has flown round Red! Have a good parkrun tomorrow.  That's great that you're getting your mileage back to where is was (just in time for all the sleepless nights!image )

Enjoy your long run tomorrow morning Pinklady, a bit of a lie in on a weekend or still the 5:30am start?

I'd be happy with those KM reps Chick! Hope the calf doesn't give you any more grief, so frustrating.

Nice mileage yesterday kfc! Hill reps are evil but they work.

Hardcore track session last night Shildon. I know what you mean about 200s, last time I did those my legs were aching for days afterwards.

Club handicap sounds brutal Spoons! Is that you done until Sunday now?  I hope the weather cools down for you.

• Options

Nce; stick around, a half would give a better indication and even then it will depend on how your endurance is, get the long runs in and do the speedwork

MrZ: the planet x stealth is a sound bike for the money, what wheels are you sticking on it? I ride an exocet these days but its he wheels that make the real difference.

Oompa; hope you get it all sorted out, I was told to stop running 10 years ago!

trotted out 10k round the lanes in 49.xx so 1-45 on Sunday should be fine.

• Options

Carrot - yep - I'm tapering nicely for Sunday. (as in I'm pished on beer and wine and eating pizza) image

• Options

Spoons- well done, I wouldn't even attempt a 10k in 30degrees!

I am however about to do one in 20 degrees... Still too warm for my liking.image

• Options

Good luck with that Bro!

Hungover.com

Now need to drive to the Peaks for tomorrow's Dovedale Dipper. 

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

good luck, bro

enjoy your mara, spoons. hope it's not too hot ...

welcome, nce. nice 10k time there image

oomps, at least you know what it is and that it can be fixed. sounds pretty grim though...

calf woke me up cramping in the middle of the night and now it's sore  image

wonder what it is. did 4 easy miles on it, didn't hurt but I can still feel something. rubbish ...

• Options
    PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Good swim session last night but it's finished now for the holidays so I will return in September but will try to keep up my training during the break.

Carrot - had a little lie in but up & out the door by 6.30am and ran a good steady 10 miles for the first time! I surprised Barry B as he suggested 9 but thought I would try and push myself to complete the 10. Only mare I had was trying to get a gel open! image

Lie ins for me are a thing of the past as it's rare since I had our two daughters - now they are teenagers I still can't lie in! Maybe one day image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Chick - wine is the only cure for that. image

PL - I used to be like that but I seem to be now learning to lie in a bit more.  Sometimes even till 8 o'clock!  Well done on the 10.

Hope it goes well tomorrow DD.  How are you all enjoying being in England?

14.25 for me this morning, avg 8:17.  Parteeeeee this afternoon  image then a fell race tomorrow. image

• Options

Spoons - Well done on the hot 10k, and good luck for today.

Reds - I know the feeling. We have an office with over 200 people, and just 1male and 1 female shower. But what they have done now, is made each of the showers unisex, so at least we have 2 now.

Pinklady - So if at the w/end your OH suggests a ahem 'lie in'. Is he being romantic, or is he being a bad coach, for disrupting your training schedimage, and should be sacked?

Oompa- At least you're got a positive outcome, and you know what the problem is, that's been slowing you down all these yearsimage. You just have to mention to everybody, 'bone spurs', otherwise I would of Pb'd

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

nce - welcome.  Are you doing your long runs yet?  Thats what will help you take chunks off your existing marathon pb!

Nice run pink lady image

Chick - when I get night calf cramps I can usually feel stiffness for about a week, it could just be that.  Thinking back to my calf issues at the end of last year, core and stretching work really helped (and you know what, now its not a problem, I've stopped doing it so much) - perhaps time to spend a bit of time on that?

Lots of racers tomorrow - hope you go well guys!

Did I mention I was going to parkrun this morning?  Well I didnt make it.  drank too much last night and didnt wake up.  image

• Options

KFC- lol I like your styleimage

Chick- hope its just a bit of stiffness. I get cramps in my calves at night sometimes but they don't tend to hurt in the morning.

Pinklady- nice 10 miler.

Minni- enjoy the parteeee! And good luck tomorrow.

NCE- some good times there and they definitely indicate that sub 3:30 is within reach with the right training.

44:58 today for 10k which is 40s faster than 3 weeks ago on the same course so as much as I'm still not where I want to be at least it's moving in the right direction. MrB casually ran 39:20 off hardly any training. How does that work??? Had a total smack down with one of my club coaches (I must add that he's 67 but I never managed to beat him in the past). We ran head to head most of the way and he wasn't letting me get past but I took him out spectacularly in the last 800m. Bang! 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

That is a great improvement Bro and beating the coach ... I reckon he'll be feeling rather deflated this afternoon!  image

KFC perfect timing for the parkrun! 

• Options

afternoon all!  Loving the new thread image

So I've been rubbish at keeping up this week with posting, my online time has been spent trying to get a date set for the wedding.  Never did I think that would be so difficult as we want to get married in our college chapel at university.  But cue difficulties managing to have a date outside of term time, a date which does not coincide with external events being held in college, and securing the availability of the chaplain.  Honestly, it was almost enough to elope there and then!  But we've finally done it so we will be doing the deed on 19 July next year image

I will now read back and catch up, but great 10k effort there, Bro.  I already saw Mr B's casual FB post..... image  OH's comment was he really should put some effort in!!!

My training's been going well.  I'm definitely starting to feel the benefits of regular S+C.  I did my first run outside last night and was absolutely dreading it given my experience at starting outside during a Dubai summer over the last two years, but I was stunned to get through it in one piece.  Yes, it was unpleasant to the extent it was just darned hot and humid, but I didn't fall apart, I felt strong throughout and made it back in without my heart going through the roof.  I must confess I only ran for 30 mins and ran naked as I was scared to see what my heart would do, but I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as last year where something called cardiac drift (a phenomena observed during those unaccustomed to training in extreme heat) left me with a heart rate of 172 at 10:20m/m and near to tears.  So my plan is to run 2-3 times per week outside and then do my long run and speed sessions on the TM

• Options

Good luck to all the racers tmrw, Spoons hope it's not too hot for your marathon!!

ChiBck - hope your calf settles soon.

Oompa - at least you now know the reson for your knee troubles and can plan going forward with the operations.

Bro - nice 10km, great improvement in 3 weeks!

Mr Z - so jealous that you live right next to th sea. your August challenge sounds cool.

S.S - yay for setting a Wedding date imageimage

Daren - stick with the A group, they are speedsters, you'll flourish running with them!

Pinklady - wow you got up at 6:30am on a Saturday to go running, I salute you! a nice 10 miler.

• Options

managed 6 miles this morning, knee a little puffy but no pain image

• Options

PL nice 10 miles there

Spoons: enjoy the peaks, sounds as if the carbo loading went well

Minni: were all very happy in the UK, though still trying to shoe horn ourselves into a 3 bed house after having lived in  a 6 bed house!

Bro: always good to beat the coach

SS: running in a Dubai summer is an acquired taste! 

Cycled with the club this morning for a brisk 54 miles with 5200 of climbing, pehaps not the best plan the day before a 1/2

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

just trying the wine cure now, minni  my kinda remedyimage

kfc: I do some regular core sessions, admittedly not much but 10-15 mins twice a week. but I dont stretch nearly as much as I ought to image

• Options
    Hi all. Thanks for the welcome as I pop in here as a 3:30 pretender. My PBs other than 5k are ancient, so I don't really think they mean anything. I only started marathon training two weeks ago, so I've just done the first long run of the programme which was 12 miles. Today I did a parkrun and managed to sneak under last week's parkrun time by 30s (22:10 to 21:38 or so). So the first two weeks of marathon training seem to be helping my 5k time at least. Second long run of 13 miles tomorrow.

Seems to be a very active thread this!
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Brief pop iin 

minni- good luck ttomorrow . Good run today 

bro- fast 10k and good to see you put the coach in his pplace 

chick- hope its nothing sserious 

nce- welcome- put your speed with lots of long runs and sub 3.15 is on the cards

DD- hardcore stuff enjoy the HM- rain should help

Spoons- can't say I'd want to run a marathon tomorrow. Enjoy

SS- isn't running naked in Dubai going to get you arrested? Glad it's going well

Kiwi- ice the knee

28mile bike yesterday. Rest today- Garstang Agriculture show and nearly bought some alpacas.... But i put my foot down. Will try another run tomorrow. 

• Options

DD and Spoons- good luck today.

SS- well done on your run, I'm full of nothing but admiration. No way I could run in Dubai in the summer. Yay on getting the wedding dates sorted!

2Old- lol about the alpacas. How is the not so mini piglet doing by the way?

nce- yes, we're very active both on the running and drinking front.

Minni- how is the head this morning after the parteee?

Rest day today but tempted to go for a short plod.

• Options

Good luck racers....

2old - You could make some very trendie après run clothing out of them!image