Options

The new home the RW sub 3:30 now heading for 3:15

Comments

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Oomp-sounds like you are being given the run around

Minni- put me down for the old thread-theres too much history there to lose .

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I know 2old I feel that too.  It's been such a journey for us all and it's all there. 

• Options

Oomps - hope not too much of a wait.   New Sproglet is delightful, now if only her elder sister would a)sleep to a sensible hour and b)generally behave then I would be a happy daddy!! image

• Options

Yup Minni... seems that I never learn.image

I like the new thread.

• Options

Minni -  Nice racing, good hangover cure?  I'm happy either way regarding the threads.

Spoons -  Congrats on another mara completed.

2old - At least you are still getting some runs in. I reckon 4 more 20's before Berlin. Have been running MLR's up to 15 miles and now going a  little shorter concentrating on getting some steadyish miles included

Cooks -  Welcome back, congrats on the PB's.  Must be difficult fitting in the training with a couple of young ones.

nce -  You 're in the right place, just about achieving your potential/targets and seeing progression.  After my PW of 3:44 at VLM this year really feel I've got something to prove at Berlin.

Oompa - Yeah I always seem to run my LSR too quick, but this time with my runs tied in with my insanity circuits I am intentionally trying to get some speed endurance from my longer runs. 

Weekly tempo run for me this afternoon, 6 miles with the middle 4 at effort, splits for those 4   -  6:36,6:45,6:36,6:36 , very happy with that as seeing improvement each week so far.

• Options

Minni - Don't you mined losing the 31000 plus replies on the old thread, or do you think the new thread will be less intimidating? Lets go for the Newimage

• Options

Think I agree with 2old that there is a lot of history lost if we abandon the old thread. 

Struggling to keep up at the moment and have had about 4 posts swallowed after laboriously typing them up - so if I seem to be ignoring what everyone is doing that is the reason.  Marshalled a club race this evening but at least managed a few miles getting there and back. Realise that I haven't worn my Garmin since VLM - very liberating!

• Options

Softball is dangerous Cooks, we had someone covered in blood at the last match, I'm yet to see that at a race.

I love the history on the old thread, but there's almost too much of it. I think I vote new.

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Good to see you popping in Cooks!

Nice 5M pink lady!

Loving the return of the mojo minni - I'm feeling the same.  I think its taken me nearly 4 months to get over VLM!

Mile relay tonight, and my first race for my new club.  Guaranteed PB cos I've never raced a mile before!   Started enthusiastically, felt too fast.  Reeled it back a bit, clocked 3.02 at the half way point.  Still feeling good, pushed to the end in 6.02.  Was expecting something closer to 6.20 so very happy with that.  Feel like my heavy legs have gone, and that I've got a bit of good endurance in the tank.

• Options

Great marathon-ing yesterday Spoons, the conditions sound tough!  You really enjoy these low key marathons (with food en route...) don't you?!  It didn't really start in Hartlepool though did it?

Well done on your fell race Minni, any bling for that 1st lady?

Hope the relay went well tonight kfc.

21:02 isn't too shabby at all for a PW Red! How is your eye today?  That sounds pretty bad, I'll remember to avoid softball from now on....

Does the Achilles zapping hurt 2old? Sorry, the best way I've had of healing wounds is just to keep them as dry as possible.  Depends on how bad it is I guess, when I've fallen over running I just swim anyway and just make sure my clothes don't stick to the scab while it's drying!

Hi Cooks, hope things are going well with you image  Share more, what's your new 5K and 10K times?  You were already fast....

Which half are you doing Weeble?

Hope the 8M steady helped sweat out the hangover Bro.

Impressive tempo pace Barry! I think you'll have an absolute stormer at Berlin.

What have you got planned for the coming months O4S?

Deep tissue massage tonight, the elbow in the piriformis wasn't at all bad but the fingers on the IT band we a bit cruel. 

This weekend I'm off parkrun duties (there's something else going on in the park) so I'm planning on getting a cheeky YKW in - it's been a while image  I'm also doing a local 10K on Sunday but planning on doing it as part of a long run, maybe 10M warm up followed by the 10K at as close to HMP as my legs can manage.  It may end in tears....

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Carrot- the zapping hurt a bit more tonight than last time but the consultant was happy  as he felt the swelling had broken down a  bit and was more spread along the Achilles . Another session on Friday- the last one. Re the graze- its pretty deep and taking a lot of healing and every time I wears a wet suit it rubs the scab and new skin off. Hope your massage does the trick and gets you ready for Sundays run

Minni- I'm enjoying this debate about which thread to keep. I suppose as you started this one you can kill it....how will you exercise such power?image Or image. Looks like us oldies want to respect our history. image

Barry- yes your schedule is looking very good ...carry on the way you are and VLM will be exorcised. I found Berlin very flat so did all my long runs on flat roads to get my legs used to having a limited range of muscles continuously hammered. There are no hills to give relief. 

Kfc- that was a fast mile. ...great first PB

going to try a longer run tomorrow if things feel ok. 

• Options

A spot of wfh today - my eldest ensconsed in the ipad before nursery (I am third in pecking order for that) and youngest asleep.  Bliss image

lol re softball - dangerous indeed.........also remember the bat getting wrapped around my teachers head accidently...he was not happy (my class mate let go of it after missing the ball)......

Carrot - managed a 18.18 ykw and a 37.36 10k, pretty made up with that image  How's things with you?

• Options

Morning guys. 

Been AWOL for a few days drinking and partying in Liverpool. And then the thread goes mad!

Great to see cooks popping in. Still running well I see!

Minni - nice weekend for you!!

Spoons - so good to see you back and having a great dipper at the weekend.

barry - great 20.

Kfc - you'll do great at Leicester!

Carrot - you must be up to peak mileage now? How are you feeling about it?

2old - sounds like your recovery is now going well. Great gym session.

Bad news for me. My PF is still really bad after my flip flop week image I've been making puddles of sweat too in the gym instead. Trying to cycle for an hour each day then do a bit of an air runner type machine for a bit. I'm lake swimming tonight. Trying not to get to panicky. 4 and a half weeks to go...'

• Options
    Hi all. More very fast running going on that I can't quite equate with my speed...

After my 13-miler, very hilly run on Sunday, my legs were shot to pieces on Monday. Calf and quad muscles feel like someone has set a jackhammer on them. So I skipped the scheduled week 3 (of 16), day 1, 4 miler. Today my legs aren't all that much better, but I thought I'd better do the scheduled run as it was a speed session. 1 mile warm-up, then 4x(1 mile fast, 400m jog recovery), and 1 mile cool-down. I did the fast miles in 6:59, 7:12, 7:24 and 7:13 which I guess is about my 10k pace on average. Murder. I find it really hard to do speed work unless it's an actual race.

Not sure I can keep up with this thread. It's faster than me!
  • Options

How do!

i've had a funny week; best man suit arrived for a comming wedding, suit looked absolutely sharp, jacket and waist coat fit perfectly, then i put the trousers on...perfect fit around the waist and perfect length....unfortunately all this cycling and running has changed my body shape and the material for the trousers only just made it round my thighs! image i genuinely looked as though i was wearing a suit with leggings! image fortunately i have been able to buy massive fat-boy 38in trousers and the seat is being taken in!

Its definately wedding season (or im just at the age when everyone is getting married) 4 weddings in the next 6 weeks image

Still enjoying my little August challenge, although i have managed a silly hamstring pull playing park cricket! (The labrador in me can't resist chasing a ball a full speed without any warm up! image)

DD - unfortunately its just coming with thier standard-build clinchers, which i suppose will make perfectly suitable training wheels, certainly plan to put a pair of deep profile wheels on in due course, probably PX101/82's.

AA - Liverpool is a great party city! hope you had fun and the PF eases up soon

Cooks - nice to see you  - you're still as speedy as ever! Good work!

Old/ New thread debate - i love the history/ journey of the old thread and would be sad to see it go

2Old - hope the high tech zapping is working!

• Options

another point in favour of our old thread is that it seams to have gained "sticky" status meaning it should always be easy to find! image

• Options

2old - It's the only "run around" that's going on at the moment, although the OH has miraculously started running again and is taking great pleasure in telling me how nice it is at the moment to be out running the trails!!! image

Cooks - What Spring mara are you going to do if you drop Berlin?

Barry - Blimey, you're flying at the moment, but don't think that you can avoid the question by simply posting fast tempo splits!image What time are you going for???

nce - Keep building your endurance with the long slow runs and mid-week medium long runs, whilst doing intervals and lactate threshold runs and you'll be amazed how quickly you'll improve.image

AA - Remind me, what have you got coming up in 4 weeks?

Mr Z - I'm the same... My club has just had a 30th anniversary do and hired a cricket ground for the day for bbq's, games etc. We had a Rounders competition and i was doing the Labrador thing, trying to catch the ball, when i ran straight into a Holly bush, scratching myself to shreds in the process, much to the amusement of everyone else!image

• Options

Loads going on and interesting the old thread has been resurrected! I love the history of the old thread but also like how quickly this one is moving, it does seem revitilised and fresh image

Spoons, sounds like you had a good time at your marathon and brilliant you felt good at the end of it.

Cooks - nice to see you back and great pbs image

Weeble - great you are building up to a half marathon, always good to have a goal to work towards.

Lol, Mr Z thighs of steel ha?!

Minni - great fell running on a hangover and 1st lady is still 1st lady, not your fault no other ladies showed up on the dayimage

Barry - that was an awesome 20 miler, you must be feeling very confident for Berlin!

AA - hope the PF goes away a.s.a.p!

nce - stick with us, it will take time but your legs will get used to the training and you will get such great advice from the gang on here.

KFC - nice mile race, hope you enjoy your new club.

Carrot - deep tissue massage ouch!

O4S - when are you off on your cycling holiday? Must be soon?

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Oomp- that's pretty sadistic on the part of your OH

Mr Z- interesting. I was wondering if anyone bothered getting married these days.  Good to see you vote for the old thread . Zapping seems to be giving some relief so far

AA- fingers  crossed you get rid of that PF trouble. At least you can continue with the other two disciplines. Enjoy the swim- how far are you swimming now?

nce- don't worry we all struggle to keep up. Good intervals by the way. The pace will come. Don't push it too hard.  There are enough injureds here already 

Cooks- awesome 10k time. 40mins is a long way away now 

• Options

Hi Kiwi & Mr Z - hope you're both good.

Oomps - re mara, latest plan is to try and knock out a lively half or two - tonbridge & Royal Parks at end of Sept/early Oct and then the Trionium Greensands Marathon in mid Oct (just as something different, to get around in 4 or 4 and a half hours) after a couple of months of hill work from now.  Then use the additional strength as a base for Spring - signed up for Brighton on assumption that I won't get into Boston (am sure will be too oversubscribed given the bombs this year and I only just got the qualifier so will effectively be on general admission).  Might get lucky in the ballot for the VLM I spose.  It'll be the first crack at sub 3 so is going to require a lot of expectation management at home re the increased mileage! image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Cooks- what have you got your HM down to? Should be pretty tasty with a 10k pb like that. .

• Options

2old - Oh, you've met her?image

Cooks - Would be great if you get a Boston place, but i'm sure that a sub 3.00 is on the cards regardless... Just not at Leith Hill !!!imageimage

• Options

Barry- speedy tempo!image

KFC- very well done on the mile relay. 6.02- smoking!!!image

AA- damn PF. image Hope it clears in the next few days.

NCE- good mile reps- they never get any easier, you just go faster!image

8m @ 7.50 on the way home almost killed me last night but definitely cleared the hangover. More of the same later today with no hangover for a change- bliss!

• Options

nce. Welcome You can certainly go sub 4 and lower with a little work. What do you have planned 10k & halfs?

kfc Nice bike

Good running by DD half, Spoons & Bro Good 10ks and yes Mr Bro IS irritating doing sub 40 10k on NO training, just kick him image Minni, first lady is first lady image

Spoons, 10k Thursday & trail marathon Sunday? Respect, Dipper sounds good fun!

Oompa, sorry you are still suffering.

Cooks blinding fast 10k.

Barry, great long run, 20m @7.45! and a very fast tempo 48 hours later. Hmmm sounds a little like 2old pre injury perhaps, be careful ! Still doing insanity?

Dropping August mileage to 20-25 miles, but doing 2 speed sessions & extra gym work. Thu Boxing circuit & club tempo combo. Sat second speed session of week for first time since Dec with races, recovery & our track flooded. Club does miles twice a month, with halves/ quarters.
    Half this week 8 x 0.5m, all between 2m:43-2m:48 (~5:30-5:50 pace?) so very happy with those, nearly identical to December and far warmer conditions. Even with ultras and not much speed work, legs still fast , doing circuits with S&C maybe?

And re: 2old and achilles... Slightly sore achilles since Feb & VLM, hadnt seen my chiropractor for 18 months ago, Quick visit, hips banged and legs manipulated. Now no achilles pain. In and out in 20 mins. £30.

• Options

Hi 2old - hm pb is 1.24.34 but set nearly a year ago.... hms haven't really worked out for me this year, carded a 1.34 something a few weeks back!  I'm hoping to get in shape for a pb effort at the Royal Parks - think it could be a fast course if the weather is friendly image

Oomps - Nige at work told me that Leith hill is no worse than a speed bump, is he lying then?!?!?image  Seriously tho - am loving the idea of doing a mara without worrying about time, really excited about it esp the challenge of the hills, a mile of verticle gain - yay! It's all about the fry up and swim at the end!! image

• Options
    Hi F-R-C, thanks for the encouragement. The only thing I currently have planned is a 10k the weekend after next. I'm likely to be working abroad for a couple of months so can't really schedule anything yet.

When I see the reps people post, I keep double checking this isn't the sub 2:45 thread. 5:30 pace??
  • Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

nce - we've some speedsters on here now - while we are all getting faster, some have got a lot faster!  Don't let it put you off - I find it really motivating seeing guys here hitting times I can't do now but would love to in the future - and seeing what they do to get there!

Speaking on which, thats some great running Cooks, and speedy reps FRC

Oompa - Leith "hill"?  haha.  I took a mate from home for a run up there once.  At the top she said "is this it?"  Everytime I see her now, a some point she'll remember and have a chuckle to herself at remembering what those poor souls in the desolate south call hills...  image

Club speedwork tonight - 4x6mins at 5k pace.  Got a 3M race on Thursday.  Seriously, whats all this bloody short stuff all about?  Dont feel like I've done a proper run for AGES!!!

• Options

kfc that bloody short stuff gets you quicker though!  4 x 6mins must have been tough at 5K pace, you'll have run further than 5K doing that.

2old that's definitely a scab to leave to heal by the sounds of it!  No swimming!!

Cooks, those are excellent 5K and 10K times, I'm pleased you're going to target sub-3 next Spring.  Going off those times you'll nail it if you get those marathon miles in. I've had a decent enough year, I think a lot of it is down to joining the running club at the end of last year, and would like to think some of it is down to my own hard work over the last few years!

Plenty of time for the PF to sort out AA, you've got such a strong running background - try not to worry too much, at least you can still get the bike and swim miles in.

nce the speedwork is always really hard isn't it?! Those are some good mile reps on tired legs.

Hope the hamstring eases off a bit Mr Z, the thought of the wedding suit is comical image  How skinny do men's legs have to be?!

Those are some fast 800s FRC! image

Track session tonight was 5 x 500m (200m recovery), then 400m easy, then 5 x 600m (200m recovery).  It was hard image

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

hi guys, swamped at work at the mo .... hoping to catch up a bit later

are we still doing this thread then or will it be back to the old one?

I like the new one coz it brought back a lot if missing forum buddies image

• Options

Morning guys,

I can't keep up! Which thread are we all posting on?! This one looks busier so I'll stay on here for now.

Good to see some old faces have come out of the woodwork...some seriously fast PBs there now Cooks!

And a new face. Welcome nce image

Haven't got time to have a proper read back but some great training going on as ever. Very speedy 800s FRC, and a very fast 20-miler and tempo Barry. Looking good for you.

I'm creeping closer to where I was pre-injury. Still not quite there yet but a couple of hard, but encouraging sessions this week. Firstly, a 4 x 1200 with 800m RI run at a steady pace (good sessions these, as you have to recover while still running a decent pace). The 1200 paces were 6:15/6:12/6:06/5:57 with all the RI run at about 7:45mm, then yesterday I did a 19:37 5k training run.

As for the house move, don't ask...it has been a fiasco. Contracts have been sent to wrong addresses, nobody has been communicating with each other and we won't be moving on Friday image.