Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Stuart - pull up a chair and make yourself at home.  We do long posts on running here.image some of the yodas will be along shortly but in meantime....how's your pooh? You didn't mention it and it's very important! 

• Options

Stuart. 6.49 minute mile x 26.2= 2 hours 59 mins 59 secs. If you can run 12 miles at that pace without feeling completly knackered 3 hour might be a realistic goal to set yourself, though as its your first, enjoyment should be the priority. Have you a recent result from a proper race, we could try to calculate your current fitness and marathon pace?

• Options

Welcome Stuart! Yes. Tell us about your poo! image

You sound like you're setting some cracking paces for runs there. Have you fed some recent running times into a VDOT calculator to see what time predictions it throws up for you? Have a look at http://www.runbayou.com/. This could also help you pace your runs. Are you using a heart rate monitor/running watch?

Are you carrying any football injuries that you need to consider in your training plan?

How many LSRs are you planning? There seems to be some divergence in opinion as to the number of LSRs above 20 miles to do in the training plan.

Well done on getting into the ice baths. It does really help. I can barely handle cold water on my legs at this time of year!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Kaz - the links work on my pad.

ATM - have you tried typing a word, highlighting that word and then click the icon that looks like two chain links on the bar next to the smilies. 

This brings up a box and you can paste the link into the 'Link URL' box.

Click 'insert' an Robert is your fathers brother. 

Link

• Options

I have new niece! hoorah!

Also, my father's brother is Robert, so I do actually have an Uncle Bob.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Yep...tried that. It used to work, O, but not now...well, not for me. I'll have another go in another browser..

• Options

Yes, that's me ahead of the elites at this year's Great Ethiopian half image. The fact that they started half an hour after us is neither here nor there. No, I don't understand why they did that either, but it made for an extraordinary experience when a hundred or so of them went belting past.

Stuart - welcome! Aberdeen supporter, you say? Probably best not to mention sheep then image.

The main thing to remember in your training (and this goes out to all the first timers) is that the long SLOW run is the most important part of the training. It should be a minute to a minute and a half per mile slower than your race pace. The object is not to try and replicate race conditions - you may be doing sections or whole runs at other times during the week at race pace - but to train your body to burn fat. That way you will conserve your glycogen (carb) stores for longer, and avoid hitting the wall.

• Options

running 8 tonight in cold, icy, windy conditions.  I feel like I just did this.  Oh, I guess I actually did just do this on Sunday night.

It never occurred to me that I might need to practice weeing in a bottle as part of my marathon training.  Still so much to learn.

I was glad to see the return of the stool chart as it marks the official beginning of spring marathon training season.

Stuart what is your long run schedule?  How many 20+ are you planning?

• Options

Hello all those new people joining the thread. Most important thing is to keep coming back and posting - come on LURKERS - time to out yourselves

Sports doctor gave me my last knee injection yesterday. I'm not allowed to run for another week (that will become my 6th consecutive non-running week) and he wouldn't sign my Paris Medical certificate. Being on the brink of six and forty years, he thought it necessary that I do a full medical at least every 2 years: which I agree with. I won't be required to do a full VO2Max test if I don't want to, but he wants the ECG done. And then he asked me if I didn't want to do a half instead. I smiled and didn't answer. Sometimes an enigmatic response is for the best.

I commiserated by doing some intervals today on an exercise bike instead and hit 98% MHR and think I may have scared the other people in the gym by the heaviness of my breathing - it really does sound like you are on the brink of keeling over, even if you're really fine.

• Options

Stuart - Aberdeen fans are very welcome.  COYR.

• Options
    Evening people. Cor this thread moves too fast been away a day and I can't keep up with everything. Welcome to all the new people!

I have been looking at the photo's of you all running and you all seem happy I was going to send a pic of me running but I always look like I am in pain (because I am most of the time)

I no you was talking about training plans before and I am also worried about the mileage on mine it's 20 weeks and the max mileage is 47 a week but only has two 20 mile runs and seems quite basic I would post it on here but not sure how to do it on my phone. Also did the vdot calculator and it tells me I should be running over 10 min miles on my slow runs surely that can't be right I normally run at about 9ish min miles and close to 8 on speed/ intervals

Done 5 miles today followed by abs DVD then my gf phoned from the kebaby and asked what i wanted I went for the chicken shish no sauce extra salad I think I'm starting to turn healthy haha although I did wash it down with a beer.

Well done everyone on their runs.

TD - you will be running properly in no time I wish I had the determination when I'm injured to go and cross train like that.
  • Options
    Simon MacSanta wrote (see)

Stuart - Aberdeen fans are very welcome.  COYR.

oh god theres two of them now image

no running for me tonite , dinner with my daughter and her fiance instead , , tomorrow ill do a double session instead , well maybe ,,, 

• Options

Aaron the red nosed reindeer. There are different schools of thought with the long run. it's purposes are to train your muscles to store glycogen, to improve you endurance over longer distances and generally prepare your body physically and mentally for being on your feet for hours. Personally I don't take them too slow. Maybe 45-60 seconds per mile slower than target marathon pace. If dipping under 4 hours for the marathon is your target, then 10 mins per mile is probably about right on the long run for now. the point of running them slow is so you don't over do it and get injured which could scupper your training plan. i have 5x20+ mile runs in my training plan. At least two of those will err on the quick side for that distance (one is a race) - I'm all about getting my body really used to running at marathon pace. Others will say you can't run an LSR too slow and it's more about time on feet, and that's fair point if you are going to run a 4&1/2 or 5 hour marathon, as that is tough grind on the body. For a faster marathon, there isn't that much value in taking them too slow.  If you are setting yourself a time goal, then I would advise bringing a couple more 20+ mile runs into the plan. 

• Options

Running Reindeer - thanks for that advice about the long slow run.  At the moment I really need to sort that out.  If I run on my own my pace creeps up and the next thing I know I struggle to finish. So I will make  a real effort from now on. It would help if my Garmin wasn't about to peg out. The strap seems to be peeling away from the watch and it's letting water (and sweat) in.  If only Santa could bring me a new one.... looks up longingly with big Puss-in-Boots off Shrek eyes

• Options

Hi Guys thanks for all the responses. Jimbob all the way as I am quite new to running I actually haven't undergone any races. I performed an 10 mile run last night at 8:30 minute mile pace which I found okay but was a bit leggy from the quarter mile hill sprints the day before And another 3 mile run tonight at 6:49 pace which I found okay, however is wee bit leggy. Reindeer Salad mistletoe Maus pooh/poo haha I'm afraid I'm lost. I hadn't though of putting my pace into a VDOT calculator will do it some time this week and let yous know the results. I don't currently use a heart rate monitor, been using my iPhone Nike running app to pace my runs.

I don't have my footballing injuries I know of, however have slightly felt my knees when running, so have received some exercises from my clubs Physio.

In terms of LSR, the Hal Higdon schedule Im using as a template incorporates 3 over 20 miles. Would you recommend some more? 

Running Reindeer thanks for advice shall certainly try sticking tout, how many miles per week would you recommend increasing?  oh know we love been called sheep..image Just ask Simon. Glad to see another Dandy to share the pain image

• Options

Stuart, you might consider having a few of goes of http://www.parkrun.org.uk during you training for Paris.

hopefully there s one close by ...... A few of us are doing hampstead this weekend. PM ime if anyone wants to join

• Options

Yeah saw something similar at Glastonbury many years ago, it was called a "she-pee" looked a bit like funnel and was being given to the ladies who wanted to use the men's urinals without having to queue for the horrendous toilets.

• Options

Good Morning, and not a bad December morning. Dark, windy but dry - thats as good as its going to get just now! Thank goodness its not long to the shortest day, I think yesterday we only had 4 hours of proper daylight. image

Just over 5 miles done this am at a snails pace, but I think I over did the layers! 

Welcome to newbies. 

Congrats Malc! image

• Options

I'm on a bus to go and run around the embankment before work. It's all foggy and cold. Bring on dicken's Londonimage love these kinda of mornings...once I defrost. 

Stuart - let's put this another way.  What's your nutrition plan? Show us yer stool!

Yay! Malvs. He'd better not forsake us. We want an inside man.

• Options

Oh...and for the newbies. See what kaz did there? 5 miles done and posting at before 6am. It's not a timezone difference. Kaz is on uk time. That is why it's called KOC/KOCing.image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Malcs - congrats again! Can you squeeze us all into the RW VIP tentimage

Kaz - I was feeling your snails pace this morning image Up at 4 again to run with pooch and it was -5. I was trying to run faster to warm myself up but legs felt like jello.

Jimbob - it's a she-wee darlingimage

Stuart - A few pages ago - a picture was posted of the Bristol Stool chart. It's to show how solid/lose your poo is. It's a common feature to discuss your poo and what type it is before a LSR/ race etc. I agree with Jimbob about Park run. I think that there are a few on here that are doing a few scottish races that might be a good prep for you. Calendonian Massive.... help a sister out. There's one up Arthur's seat and another one thats in winter but the rest - i'm lostimage

Tinsel Decorations wrote (see)

Hello all those new people joining the thread. Most important thing is to keep coming back and posting - come on LURKERS - time to out yourselves

My name is Emmy and I'm a.... oh wait you dont mean meimage

Aaron The red nose runner wrote (see)
    I have been looking at the photo's of you all running and you all seem happy I was going to send a pic of me running but I always look like I am in pain (because I am most of the time)

I no you was talking about training plans before and I am also worried about the mileage on mine it's 20 weeks and the max mileage is 47 a week but only has two 20 mile runs and seems quite basic I would post it on here but not sure how to do it on my phone. Also did the vdot calculator and it tells me I should be running over 10 min miles on my slow runs surely that can't be right I normally run at about 9ish min miles and close to 8 on speed/ intervals 

Dont believe all that you see... I've got a lot of pictures of me when I look like shite... i just dont post them image RE: Training paces - that sounds about right. LSR's are meant to feel slow. What race time did you use for your VDOT calculation? Maybe you need to do a race now and in a couple of months to evaluate your pacing and times.

Your plan does sound a little light on the longer runs. I think for my first marathon I did 3x20milers and then 4x20milers for the second (it's the only marathons that I can really give any decent training advice on image)

• Options

Inverness half Stuart?? 9th March. 

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Emmy Ho Ho Ho wrote (see

My name is Emmy and I'm a....

.......Glorious Nutter image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    We Wish You A Merry Orbutt wrote (see)
    Emmy Ho Ho Ho wrote (see

My name is Emmy and I'm a....

.......Glorious Nutter image

I was going to say Marathon addict image

• Options

Stuart - working back you have 13 weeks before the three week pre-race taper starts, and you want to get up to 20 miles in training, ideally a couple of times (In an ideal world we would all be doing 5 x 20 milers, but especially for a first marathon when you're not used to the mileage I wouldn't recommend it). So you need to get to 20 miiles by week 11. From a starting point of 8 miles that's about an extra mile a week. Allowing for a few easy weeks where you cut back on your mileage, you could make that two. But no more than that. 

Does that make sense?

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Good morning. After a week away on another thread and trying to canvas votes for Malcs, I must say that there are so many great people on the other threads and I was amazed at the mobilisation of forum. Malcs is a worthy winner.  Kirsty and Superman were very good sports and came close to finishing 1st in the Sub 3h30 category, hopefully they will decide to run Paris and perhaps even join us. There was a flaw in the RW process meaning anyone could vote, at first Malcolm relied on the forum however many others were canvasing on the social networks.  Monday night, Malcs got a retweet from the Scottish RFU which has 60000 followers.  No one expects The Caledonian Massive ! Who's two chief weapons are fear, surprise and ruthless efficiency. image

• Options

Well done to Malcs.

Stuart - I do 5 x 20 mile LSRs in my training plan, but if you are new to distance running I agree with Running Reindeer that I wouldn't advise going down that route. Not for the first marathon anyway.

Aaron - Don't fear I think that's the only marathon/running photo I don't look like I'm taking part in a gurning competition. I was on a take it easy strategy in that race. My Paris 2012 photos when I set my PB I look more in absolute and utter agony!

• Options
    Morning people.

Jimbob - thanks I will try and slow down abit on my lsr maybe that will happen automatically when the miles go higher.

Emmy - thanks I will try and fit atleast one more 20 miler in my training I'm thinking of doing the race in March that was suggested uxbridge I think. Il also up the miles in the week I think as I get further in il ad a mile or 2 onto what the plan suggests.

The reading half marathon is full now anyone running any others around that time?
  • Options
    Eggy - thanks I will upload one soon I have got one of me running past Buckingham palace where I don't look like I'm about to keel over ( probably pretending to be good runner incase the queen was watching haha) il post that at some point