Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Ha, weird - I wrote that response days ago but my computer decided to post it now - must have gotten stuck!

Zeenawarrior wrote (see)

Hi KeyserSuze, just a thought but are you doing much core work? Maybe adding in a few core sessions a week might just help?

Thanks Zeenawarrior - I"m not doing anything but running! My problem is I run 5 times a week, and I don't want to a) give those sessions up or b) do another thing on the two nights I currently have off - a girl's got to have rest days, right?   

Once  Paris training is over I fully intend to join a gym and do some proper classes - Pilates, spin, swimming to build up my core. At that point I'll probably drop my Wednesday run and/or incorporate the gym into that run, and go on a Friday evening as well.  I know, I do need to do something else - all running and nothing else makes Suze a bored and broken runner...I do love it though!

• Options
    Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

Crap running week, missed planned lsr on Monday as my daughter was off school with tonsillitis, then I got a vile sore throat and felt awful.  Full of snot now but throat ok so plodded a slow 16 miles this morning.  Hoping to pull it back a bit this week.  Good weekend running everyone.  Off to find my convocation image

• Options

An absolutely bloody splendid day here in Belgium! LSDs done for me and TD. I am reliably informed this is not a hallucinogen, but rather a "Long Slow Distance" in cycling parlance. 31km LSR for me, 120km-ish for TD. Followed by recovery beer on the balcony lying in the sun. Does it get any better? image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kirtsen - Better to have that week now that closer to the race. Well done on getting you 16 miles in.

I had a good LSR today. The rain went off after the first couple of miles so only had the wind to contend with. I managed to complete my 18 miles with an average pace of 9:37 m/m, which is closer to my normal LSR speed than I've been able to do so far in training. The most positive part being not only was the pacing a bit better, but I finished feeling strong too. It's been a good weeks running for me.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Zeenawarrior - no probs!

And anyone else out there who has any questions whatsoever please come on down!!!  If no one responds the first time try again. It's all one big happy supportive family on the paris forum. image

• Options

Hey everyone. Gosh, what a difference in the weather. Is there anything better than getting home from a hard workout and being able to do naked sunbathing (without being overlooked at all?). And eating pasta cooked last night. And drinking beer. 'Cos that's what I've been doing. TinkerBEL is sensibly dressed like all good Australians, with not a hint of bare flesh exposed to the sun.

Jokeybhoy. I think I did 121kms in 4h11 in a group with one ex pro triathlete and another seriously strong amateur racer in his early 20s, plus usual IronMan friend. They ritually demolished me on every climb. Well, I might make it to the summit with them but as I gasped for breath, they just ripped it up and in seconds, you are spat off the back wheel and are 50m behind, in the wind, on your own. Making me stronger though.

OK, keep resting. LSR tmrw. Hope the good weather moves north. Or just pop over and see us here in Belgium. You're all invited. And I'll put clothes on.

• Options
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Kirtsen - Better to have that week now that closer to the race. Well done on getting you 16 miles in.

I had a good LSR today. The rain went off after the first couple of miles so only had the wind to contend with. I managed to complete my 18 miles with an average pace of 9:37 m/m, which is closer to my normal LSR speed than I've been able to do so far in training. The most positive part being not only was the pacing a bit better, but I finished feeling strong too. It's been a good weeks running for me.

Congratulations Eggy! That's fab news. You were due some good training. I've had a good training week too, all things considered. Today's LSR felt much stronger. I went 2 kms longer than last week and was 20 seconds faster per km. Nothing to sneeze at, but not as quick as you.

• Options

Well done on the PB RS.

20 miles with 16 at MP this morning. That's the hardest training run I'll do - it waa tough! Gale force winds, but at least it stayed dry. Couldn't hold a steady pace because of the wind, but the overall pace puts me in 'silver'. Happy with that!

PC - Gold 3:22 Silver 3:25 Bronze 3:28 (3:29)

And you can pour on the concrete.

• Options

Great work on the runs folks!  Well my LSR run plan this weekend hasn't happened and won't happen til Tuesday.  I had to fly home yesterday as I had a funeral to attend this morning, and just flew back home - so 2 x planes each way - from the top of Aus to almost the bottom and I am stuffed!  I did manage to do a quick almost 8km run at my friends this morning though which made me feel good as I knew I'd be eating and drinking a bit at the wake today.  I spoke to my boss on Friday about my LSR and how I couldn't do it due to the funeral etc and he is happy for me to start work late on Mon or Tues so I can fit it in.  I think Tuesday (it's my last day of work before we leave to fly to London on Thursday), is the best bet so then I can always work back that afternoon/night if needed. image 

Not much else going on - just finishing our Europe packing and getting very excited! image  Just reading the temps in London.... i am going to freeze my butt off. It's a gorgeous 28 degrees celcius here in Darwin right now (at 1am), and was 32 here today.  I am definitely in for a shock (as are my kids are they are such darwin kids now.. they don't remember the cold!). 

Night all.

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    TD: 75 miles in just over 4 hours is incredible,I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow,I doubt I'll be doing 18mph probably closer to 10mph,going to attempt cycling into glasgow and back.
  • Options

/members/images/727962/Gallery/28joursplustardqv6_0.jpg

Good luck everyone racing tomorrow.

My goals have yet to be determined, based on several factors, including whether my feet drop off before I get to Paris. Two toenails have made a break for it already, and two more are grumbling about conditions and have formed an escape committee

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

21.5 miles today in 3:11:02 (8:53 avg pace).  Although the photos have me as sub 3:30 target I would rate this as diamond/platinum as I don't feel my performance in training is materially better than 6 months ago where I achieved 3:40 PB.  I just can't see me running avg 8:00 for 26.22!

So here goes:

Gold = 3:39:xx or faster

Silver = sub 3:45 (achieved twice in Manchester & Chester 2013)

Bronze = sub 3:47:51 (my London 2012 result)

Just "hoping" taper works.  I'm not planning doing any running after 31/3 as I'll be in Disneyland from 2/4 (travelling down 1/4) ... A fair bit of walking though I suspect!

I'll be peeing in the blue pen ... Also like the idea of peeing between cars and outside a posh shop, and have bought a wide necked SIS bottle to discard, (somewhere?)

i also plan on not drinking a couple of hours before but know I'll get nervous and what a pee 2 mins before the gun goes!

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

21 very slow miles. I learnt that GU gels work well for me and that my calf will be fine in Paris, I don't like the wind, I love my mum for ringing me just before a very steep hill I was never running up anyway so gave me a justifiable reason to walk up it, I am not going to run under four hours inParis, I am very tired now!

good work today everyone!

Rach - everyone is wearing T shirts here in the balmy 16 degrees as only us Brits can do... The sun... It's not raining or that cold... People wear summer clothes that don't fit properly!

• Options
    Stuchbury wrote (see)

I learnt that GU gels work well for me.

I've been eating GU cheesecake. That's training, right?

• Options
    Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

It's pretty warm up here in Lancashire.  London will be positively tropical. 

• Options
    Someone better remind Scott The Walker to get the factor 50 on for our race tomorrow
  • Options

Scott - Get the factor 50 on for tomorrow's race.

• Options
    But it's still winter isn't it ?

Summer doesn't start in Scotland till mid July , therefore no shops sell sun screen , I have some deep heat with me , will that do the same job ?
  • Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

RR - cheesecake is protein.. Perfect!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

27 miles done.  Good run.  

Well done everyone. 

• Options

convocations are up!!

• Options

4 weeks today you beauties

• Options

Good luck to Scott and Jimbob in the Finchley 20 this morning, and anyone else out there racing.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Ahhhh lost what I have just written. image

RMA- sorry, hugs.

Everything else I can't be bothered to retype. Good luck to one and all.
  • Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Sparky, I think it depends on how you feel on the day ... Don't start too quick!
  • Options

Ignore my previous post about the convocation being up - obviously I have not been on here for a few days! I just read back and saw that there were a few posts about it the other day image LOL 

• Options

My goals are: 

Gold - 4h29

Silver - 4h39

Bronze - Finishing before 4hr59 - or actually just finishing! LOL image 

• Options

Good long running people. Just one more week of push push push. And good long rowing too if that's what you are up to. I see on the BCRC Strava club that TheEngineer (formerly of this thread and known as SlowEngineer, managed to knock out an 18:38 at the Stoke-on-Trent ParkRun yesterday. Anyone else want to join - just send me a Private Message on this forum with your email address.

Sparky - I think you need to do a test run in ideal conditions, to simulate your marathon pace. The idea is that you can run a marathon just below the point where your use of energy becomes inefficient (slightly anaerobic). For most people, this is around 82-88% of their Maximum Heart Rate. Or, to use Eggy's sugestion, the point where you can be speaking in phrases but not sentences.

Run like that for a half marathon distance and be realistic about your pace, not pushing too hard. It should always feel comfortable speed. Not easy but not hard. Take your half marathon time, multiply by two, that is a reasonable estimate of what you can do in 4 weeks time.

I'm still in bed. A very late night. Might go running today. Maybe. Can't contemplate it yet.