Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Hi guys, haven't had time to catch up with the thread but I had a problem yesterday and need advice!

So yesterday I went for a normal run. Nothing interesting or out of the ordinary, but as soon as I started, I was getting sharp pain in the lower back. Literally, the first steps. This seemed to be a shooting pain through my spine on impact of my feet hitting the ground.

It was greatly reduced by forefoot striking - but still very noticeable discomfort.

This morning I've been trying some stretches. When I extend my back by bending over, if I then lean my head forward so my chin touches my chest, I can feel the same pain.

Any ideas what this is, how to resolve it? 22m LSR to tackle today and conflicted between pushing through it or resting it.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Matty - rest it.  At this point missing the run will not damage your training but doing it might eliminate your whole race.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    I've done 3 x fun 10k, 2 x HM and 1 marathon. Emmy is probably choking on a cake as that's less than her typical weekend. The 2nd half was today, 1 of my many defaults is pace so I picked someone and sat on their shoulder, when they faded so I picked someone else. I finished 10mins slower than last year but 6kg extra and lack of training. Caffeine gel sent me buzzing probably stopping me from sleeping now.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Matty, get to a physio..Don t just bash on....You need to know what a wrong. Anti inflamms and specific exercises might be the way forward. It s amazing what rest, pain relief and targetted moves . It will cost...but will be worth it. And as Dan says, better slightly undertrained than slightly injured, on the Start.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Matty, am I imagining things or are you Cardiff based?  If so I can recommend some good people.  They keep this creaky old show on the road, anywayimage

• Options

Radar Sal, brick session was, as the French would say terrible. Nothing can match the running but a great confidence boost to know that I could do 3 hrs of that. Felt I'd been in the gym forever.

Why does rowing take up so few calories when it's so bloody knackering?

Good luck with the physio, Matty.

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Just in from a 48 mile cycle down the lovely ayrshire coast and back.Took your advice Tricky Dicky and really put some effort into it.Im defo knackered.

48miles in 3:48 average HR 160bpm which is 80% of my max running HR.The stats from the way out more or less mirror my stats from way back,only difference was I was 90 secs slower on way back tho I was into breeze on way out.

Overall I'm very happy with my fitness just need to hope my strengthening program is helping my it band issues,I'll find out next weekend.
  • Options

Well done everyone out today, 

I completed in Ashby 20 and well pleased with my 2.56.41 which is 5 mins quicker than 2 weeks ago and on a hilly course image Great race and well organised recommend as warm up to spring marathon. 

I think somewhere between 3.45 and 3.59 is still on for Paris ! 

a week of less mileage then skiing for a week image 

• Options

Well I chanced it anyway. If anything, just to see if it was any better since yesterday, and to see if I could further identify the problem.

It was all absolutely fine running uphill. Level and downhill was quite sore. But as the run went on things subsided and by the end it was barely even there. Its definitely lower, lower back. Immediately above the glutes, very central, either side of the spine.

My missus has firmly slapped me on the wrist though and I will be making an appointment with a physio or sports masseuse tomorrow, otherwise I'll have more problems than a sore back!!

Yer_maj, not Cardiff based any more. The missus and I studied there but back in somersetshire now.

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Hatter: well done,you are in a great position to make your target time considering that's your 20 mile time after weeks of heavy training
  • Options

Yer_Maj Matty is a cyder drinkurr from Yeovil my luvely. Matty - a sudden onset of pain like that would have me heading to an osteopath to check alignment issues.

Nice ride Jokeybhoy and a good result in your 20miler too Hatter88. Good work!

Well, I caved in today. I was going to do a 32km run but just couldn't face another lap of an uber crowded parc. The usually placid TinkerBEL had this wild-look in her eyes that she was going to mow someone down on her bike, with people strewn all over the pathways, getting in the way.

Anyway, I did 26kms. My running data shows my previous peak fatigue was 154 points back when I PBd in Paris 2012. Today I hit 175 points. I am just shattered. But, on the plus side, my fitness score previously peaked at 124 for Paris 2012 and today I hit a new record of 125 (All TRIMP measurements for the geeky). So now I am mainly eating cheese and making animal noises from the sofa. A bit like a Water Buffalo at feed time maybe...

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Matty -  could it be the Sciatic nerve? When you stretch, does the pain extend into your hamstrings? You did say they were causing you problems, it could be all part of the same thing. 

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

+1 for osteopath.  Get yourself rotated, what could possibly go wrong?

Lovely 17 mile cycle with Herr Maj this orning.  I got a big wild and buggy eyed with all the blasted park dwellers too....the slightest hint of sun and out they all come....

• Options

Thanks jokeybhoy fingers crossed you will still make the start line 

• Options

I haven't done that many runs at MP so not sure how close I am to my targets but they are: 

Gold - 3:05

Silver - 3:13

Bronze - 3:25

PB is 3:25:20

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Zeenawarrior - yeah, it's a bit of a head phuck but if you survive that it's all good!  ;)

Matty - how are you abs? Strong core supports your back bit does sound like tightness as eased during run. Get your wife to put an elbow or two in there.

I only did 7km today but I'm in taper so mehimage bring on the carb loading.

• Options
    Finchley 20 mile race this morning

In the company of Le jimbob, well that was the plan anyway

Had to catch two trains from my base in London to the race which I think was in Devon or Cornwall , it was pretty far out from That There London

I missed the connections by seconds on both occasions , the train was then held up for five mins outside Ruislip

Got off the train at 8:45 for a 9:00 start which was bad considering it was another two miles to the start line

So first two miles were at 8:00 min pace even before the race started , missed the start by two mins , had to catch everyone up ,dropped one of my gels , the heat was horrendous , the Marshall's were superb though

I struggled round picking off some runners before getting lapped on the second lap ( it's four 5 mile laps )

The first 17 miles were at a sub four pace

Then struggled on the final three until Jimbob phoned me to say he had a pint of beer for me at the finish line , that last mile dragged in but true to his word Jim had a beer in his hand which he then refused to give me saying I needed a fresh one !!!

There were tears in my eyes when he walked away , I would have drank anything by that stage , the beer was delivered and drunk in fifteen secs

Then back to his gaff for salted chips ( god they hit the spot ) and pizza

Final result , under three hours , potential sunstroke , and had the nicest beer and chips in years

Thanks for everything Jim , your a star
  • Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Some form of hideous lurg has hit me... Headache, hot head, sore stomach. At first thought it might have been the caffeine in the GU gels yesterday but deco lurg. Public toilets mid run yesterday? 

Anyway, enough of that... Following on from my I'm a genius with the breakfast porridge kettle thing, something that is bothering me slightly is the whole km/mile thing. I'm an imperial girl and know all my stats in miles so what do I do with the km sings? Ignore and just listen to the beep of my garmin at each mile? I have got the pace race tattoos  (optimistically in 3:59 ha ha, only 50p from sweatshop!) in miles and Mr Sweatshop didn't know if they came in kms. 

If I try to convert mid run am I just asking for trouble? My maths is not great and it will prob take me most of the run to calculate a conversion. Nit sure I want to switch the garmin to km after 15 years of miles. Is this a problem for anyone else? What do people do?

Hatter - great result!!! A defo sub 4 for you sir! 

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

I must be ill.. So many typos in that post

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

What an adventure Scott, well done!

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Stuchbury - if you're happy with miles go with it. There are mile markers but not as visible as km markers. Have you got a footpod for the tunnels?  If so go for your garmin. Garmin will measure long though so you need to pace about 5-7 seconds per mile faster than exact race pace. Hope that makes sense.

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Scott: you defo know how to add spice to a 20 mile slog,sounds better than just doing your usual mind numbing 20 miler round your own town.
  • Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

RadarSal - foot pod? Eek... Tell me more? I hadn't thought of that...

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Stuchbury - Some people use footpods that keep track of distance in case you lose GPS connection with the garmin, such as running through the tunnels. There is a long tunnel on the second half of the course. To be honest neither of the Garmins I've used has lost connection in the tunnels.

Oh, and miles is fine. As RS states they are marked on the course, just not as visible as the km markers.

• Options

mmm those beers

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Stuchbury - one thing to consider is the use of a pace band with both Km and miles. I make my own using Excel, print it onto card, cover it in Sellotape and fasten it around my wrist on race day. 

All it needs is 3 columns - km, distance, mile. The distance numbers go from 1 to 42.2 (including 13.1, 21.1 and 26.2) 

This way, you can check your times for miles and km and it is also a double check for your watch - as RS says, it will measure long so it will show you running faster than reality. 

A footpod is basically a pedometer which links to your watch and will tell your watch that you are still running if you lose signal. Also usefull if you use a treadmill, so you can still use your watch, and for showing you your cadence. 

The downside is, depending on which watch you own, they cost between £40 and £60

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Stuchbury - I have to disagree with eggy.  Each year I've lost satellites in the long tunnel and it's switched to footpod. If you don't get one add a manual split at the next mile marker and you'll be back on track with pace just overall distance will be less.

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    I definetly feel like I've done a very long run but without the sore legs,I'm done in,there won't be much work getting done tonight.
  • Options

I lost signal and my footpod didn't pick upimage