Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    How long do you folks spend on stretching after a run,and what is your general stretch routine?
  • Options

Congrats to all those who are back in. And welcome the fresh meat! You have a wonderful race to look forward to!

I entered the London ballot. If I get in I will train for it but if I don't I shan't be too upset!

Jokeybhoy - I only occassionally stretch post run to be honest but its something I'm really going to work on this training cycle. Stupid really as I always feel much better after a stretch but I always tend to ditch it as I need to get on and do something! 

I tend to do calves, quads, glutes, hamstrings in that order, it just works for me.

I attended a run leadership course and they said you should aim to stretch each muscle for about 30 seconds to return it to normal length. Longer than that will lengthen the muscle further like Yoga does.

• Options

15West  I've only ever run 1 marathon - Paris - but what I think really suits me about it is the mix of built-up urban space, riverside running and big, leafy parks. I wouldn't want to run that distance all in built-up streets. Its not as crazy eccentric as London looks though. You don't get as many people running as fridges, cows and toilets. Echo what's been said about this forum. It's top banana.

Marmite Claire - Hello and welcome image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hello New people and welcome to the nicest forum on the web. It's like Disney, although our maus is now a TinkerBel. 

I've done Paris 3 times and it is a wonderful city to run around. Add the folks from this thread and you're in for a great race. 

I will probably run elsewhere next year but I'm staying here as it's safe, full of friends and smells right. 

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

15West - I stayed in Montmarte, just up the road from the cemetery, and it was really easy to get to the start on the metro from Place de Clichy. My main reason for staying there though was that it was Air BnB apartment I've used a couple of times before and I sleep like a log every time. Its a lovely place, and very quiet and pitch black with the shutters so I knew I'd get plenty of rest for the two nights before. The downside was it was a bit far from the pub meetup for the forum so I didn't make it to that, just crawled to the Italian a few doors down for a post marathon pizza and wine fest...

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Matty:I very rarely stretched either for the same reasons.Usually I get in from my run and I need to go pick kids up from school.The physio put my injury down to tight muscles and since then I try to stretch and roller as often as I can.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Nells - when do you usually book the apartment? Do they get booked up pretty quickly?

Cheapest flights from Manchester are currently £109, anyone know if they go up/down as get closer to the date?

• Options
    Re London being so cheap - I assume it's because out of 40,000 places only a very small percentage goes to ballot spots, the rest are taken by charities which I've heard have to pay hundreds of ???? for each spot (hence the ridiculous amount they require you to raise). If this is the case then London can afford a few cheap spaces to go out for the ballot.
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

There are 10,000 ballot places for London and charity places cost the charity £300 each. image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

There is one other thing (that I am slightly ashamed of), my French is pretty ropey. 

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    MarmiteClaire wrote (see)

Have just entered for 2015.  My first overseas marathon.  Already very excited, I might be unbearable come 12 months time!

We specialize in unbearable.

• Options
    Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

I stayed at the Metropolitain, half a min walk from Ménilmontant on L2, €55 per night, was staying 5 sowanted a good

• Options
    Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

AGGGHHH. Wanted a good price, wifi. See trip advisor, it had great reviews which I would echo.

• Options

Hello to all the newbies. I was a newbie last year and this thread is full of fabulous people who will go out of thier way to help you. I'm already booked and paid in to Paris 2015 on these people alone as they are wonderful company and I can't speak highly enough about all of them as they certainly helped me. 

I've gone in the ballot for London again but having run it the past 3 years I'm not overly bothered as Paris gives me more enjoyment.

Edinburgh on the horizon next month and I'm now contemplating Berlin, what's happened to me ha ha!!!

Right for all your stalwarts on here,my screen name is just about to change to my nickname back home of Whackers, so be aware of the change please

Speak soon you lovely people x

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Whackers? Who the fudge is whackers?image and whhhyyyy....

15west - don't worry about your french. Reading the English version of the website and emails is sooo much more entertaining. image

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Dcrainmaker lady made our cake for the pub this yeaeimage

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Welcome and hello all, I'm officially on the edge of entering Paris 2015. After a DNfF this year me thinks there be demons to rest or forever haunt I.

Wow the dust has barely settled on Paris 2014..........can it be too early to start thinking about 2015? There are 10k's, halves and the Abingdon marathon to be enjoyed first!

• Options

Whackers AKA Steve Ayling 

• Options
    Cheers Radar Sal, will have a peek around then, what do you mean by geb marathon?

Thrown my hat into the London Mara too but despite hovering over tapping to pay up for paree don't think I can push the 99 euros plus another. Will be back though great route!!
  • Options

4 days.... 60 miles ran, and my legs are disowning me. Rest day tomorrow ahead of another VLSR on Saturday. 

15west - flights will get dearer as time goes on, if your certain I would book ASAP. 

• Options

Kaz you coming over to Edinburgh ? 

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I have no idea Agentpenguin! Geb...no idea. Lol!

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

Nells - when do you usually book the apartment? Do they get booked up pretty quickly?

Cheapest flights from Manchester are currently £109, anyone know if they go up/down as get closer to the date?

I booked it around November I think, but I've stayed there before and as it's just one apartment I booked early to be sure. I don't know about hotels etc, but at least they have more than one room so less likely to be booked up. I booked the eurostar as soon as I could, which I think is three months in advance. Kept my eye on it like a hawk to book as soon as it was available, but missed it by a day or two and it was down to a small selection of cheap seats by then!

Don't worry too much about your French - my partner managed to confuse Welsh and French when ordering wine and asked for a Vin Goch (Coch = red in Welsh, don't think they were handing out free paintings of sunflowers with meals that night though...). Bonjour, s'il vout plait, merci and good manners and a smile go a long way in Paris, along with some pointing and gesticulating image

• Options

No Whackers, its full so I will run all by myself! 

• Options

Cant believe how excited i am to be doing Paris again (did it in 2010). Have done 13 marathons (10 different courses) and have to say Paris is my favourite!!

Need to find hotel, flights and organise Disney for the Monday/Tuesday for the kids

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

My French is non existent. It will be awful pronouncing of menus and a lot of pointing. *embarrassed* image

one of you lot might have to look after and feed me image 

• Options
    Jokeybhoy - google 'active isometric stretching'. Basically stretches you do for a short time, but repeat several times. Highly recommended (although I don't do them as often as I should). Particularly if you can find the ones recommended by a guy called Gerard Hartmann, physio to Paula Radcliffe, Colin Jackson and others. You don't need to do your stretching immediately after a run. You can do them in the evening in front of the telly, or first thing in the morning, if that works better for you. But try to get into the habit of doing them every day.
  • Options

Hi booktrunk, - I went to Paris for the first time this year, but couldn't run, still had a great time. They are a lovely bunch. I'm signing up for next year too.

Shouldn't worry about the French!

• Options
    RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭

Hi 15West - I have ran London 4 times but after failing to get in via the ballot last year, decided to run Paris instead.  The route, crowds and city are fantastic (and you will find everything you ever need to know & more on this forumimage)!

I stayed at the Ibis hotel near the Eiffel Tower which was a perfect location and right next to the metro station.  Not too expensive and loads of other runners staying there so great atmosphere pre & post race