Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

great photos Slimmy i mean Emmy,

TD and Maus, ahhhh the happy couple.

What were we saying yesterday about 10 miles is 10 miles? Just done 10.4 miles avg 7m23s per mile tempo run. Muggy Sweaty already in the 20s by 7.30am this morning ... it was "fine" but i am just tired from all this training malarkey.... i think Sunday's 21 miler took it out of me more than i first thought. Friday and Saturday no running, This Sunday a half marathon ....

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Jimbob - you're on fire at the moment. Are you following P&D's plan to the word or amending it slightly?

I really love the picture of TD&Maus.

• Options

Emmy H wrote (see)

Jimbob - you're on fire at the moment. Are you following P&D's plan to the word or amending it slightly?

Which one? The first one is my favourite type of photo of myself.

Super photo of you!

My parents leave Isle of Maus today. image Thankfully, I get to see them again next week (and they get to meet TD in person).

It has been an incredible visit. My life has changed so much this year, it has been a great time of reconnection and reflection on how bad things were and how good they are now.

They also now speak fluent BCRC, having been introduced to the flag, the Bristol Stool Chart, KOC and Douglas Maus.

• Options

Suze - As Orbutt said Ghirardelli is well worth visiting if you love chocolate. I'd also advise renting a car and taking a day to drive out into the Napa Valley if you have the time. You get to drive over the Golden Gate Bridge and into some wonderful scenery. Plenty of places to stop and take tours of wine making and get some sample. Best get Mr Suze to drive on that one. I made the rookie mistake of being the driver the time I did that drive.

Also you'll be in the home of the mission burrito. If like me you're a burrito addict they're not be missed.

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)

Not following P&D. Just an old plan that Chownsie gave me, took some advice from TD and tweaked it, then used it for Paris. Then i have changed it to fit in with my lifestyle and races and now its a new plan that is really my own plan for berlin. But probably based on a lot of other marathon training plans. It's only running and stretching, no other sports or activities.  

• Options

Eggy - in that case, you need to join us in Albuturkey next year. Home of the world famous breakfast Burrito. Nothing quite like it, sold only around 6 am on the balloon field at Balloon Fiesta. 

• Options
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Suze - As Orbutt said Ghirardelli is well worth visiting if you love chocolate. I'd also advise renting a car and taking a day to drive out into the Napa Valley if you have the time. You get to drive over the Golden Gate Bridge and into some wonderful scenery. Plenty of places to stop and take tours of wine making and get some sample. Best get Mr Suze to drive on that one. I made the rookie mistake of being the driver the time I did that drive.

Also you'll be in the home of the mission burrito. If like me you're a burrito addict they're not be missed.

Oh my word, they look amazing! Any food that needs tinfoil toprovide structural integrity is alright with me, that's for sure. I think I might have to take clothes with very stretchy waistbands..!

The chocolate looks brilliant as well. Yum.

Thank you!

Great photos as well. I haven't done a race since June (and that wasn't a proper one, really). Am really looking forward to the Peterborough half in the middle of October. 

Oh, listmaster Weedy, I've had to pull out of the breakfast run in March - it's a family wedding the next day. Extreme sadface. 50% loss of entry fee and 100% loss of 'transaction fee'. 

Am really looking forwatrd to the RoundNorfolk Relay next weekend though, I've heard it's brilliant fun but not had the chance to do it yet.  Here's the link if anyone fancies a gander: http://www.roundnorfolkrelay.com/

It's 197 miles around the Norfolk county line. I'm doing a 5am leg between Feltwell and Wissington - 7ish miles. We get a baton and everything!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Suze - As Orbutt said Ghirardelli is well worth visiting if you love chocolate.

Oh god yes. Their chocolate is awesome!

Maus - I love the second one actually. The happiness on TD's face - your body posture. It just says: Happy!

Sorry to hear that your parents are leaving the Isle of Maus but perhaps its for the best thing if they've just been introduced fully to the BCRCimage

• Options

Awww, thanks Emmy! It's really wonderful, and it means a great deal, that our friends and families are able to see how happy we are.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

MM - How's your mum ?  Meeting TD.... I hope you haven't told your parents about his pole.

• Options

PC: All things considered, she's pretty well. It was a very good feeling to give her a hug in real time.

She is still having some troubles managing her blood pressure and she has to be pretty strict about what she eats and takes. She has to keep taking medication, but her blood pressure can be very low at times and she gets dizzy.

For a long time they couldn't figure out whether the blood pressure caused the cerebral haemorrhage, or vice versa. But the final position seems to be that she's got 2 small abnormalities in her brain that have likely been there most of her life and that could bleed at any time, but that these caused the blood pressure to rise rapidly. She needs to be reviewed later in the year and they will decide then whether to operate to remove them.

She tires easily and she's struggled with a chest infection for the last few months. She's also utterly fed up with being unwell, as she is as tough as they come.

Despite all this, she is in fine form, we've had a great time and she's not letting it get in her way of enjoying life.

As for TD...they've been privy to far more information than they probably wanted to be.image 

But that has been a particularly interesting result of this year - my relationship with my parents has been transformed in the best possible way and the events have drawn my whole family much closer together. Ironic that I had to move to the other side of the world for it to happen!

• Options

Hey everyone! [waves from the true land of chocolatey awesomeness]

Jimbob. Really want to suggest to you to try something different in the next week. Replace one or two of your runs with some cycling. Doesn't matter if your bike is a clapped out old thing with a wicker shopping basket on the front, or some flashy thing with a razor blade for a saddle. You can still exercise hard on it.

Chances are you've accumulated a fair bit of micro damage to your running muscles and they are objecting, the root cause of you not feeling up for training at the moment.  Going on the bike will allow a bit more time for recovery and repair of the muscles fibres whislt still giving your cardio-vascular system a relly good workout. Don't just plough on with your programme stoically. Intellligently adapt according to your feelings/ needs.

Got an hour's hard riding in myself this lunchtime, with 7 nice hills. Legs feel proper twitchy now and my lungs have that - "We've been stretched" feeling. My legs have recovered from last Sunday's first LSR in a year but it's 31C here today and cycling is just much fresher with some wind, as opposed to running.

Am proper excited to be seeing Maus tmrw too and i get to be exposed to her Mum and Dad next week. Bad choice of words?!?]

• Options

I think I may need to follow some good advice too, but not too sure what to do for the best?? -TD???

Never woke up until 5.30 this morning which tells me something that I dont really want to hear! So no koc training today. Finished post early today(partly cos I jogged bitsimage) then home to do intervals on the treddie. Really really hard but pleased to get it out of the way. 5 x 4 min @ 16km/h with 2 mins recoveries( basically standing nearly being sick). Think tomorrow needs to be an easy day ahead of Saturdays 22 miles.

• Options

TD - sadly i don't have a bike, another option i have for exerting myself is 5-a-side football with my brother's team. That would be just asking for trouble. i am tired of the training and it may well be my body's way of telling me that the micro-fibres in the muscles need to repair, i had a similar mental state at this stage in my Paris training. Thankfully i have no more long runs to psych myself up for, only two h/m races which i relish, and the other runs left on my Berlin plan are mainly tempo runs at target marathon pace with the distances getting shorter and shorter as i taper. Also, i'm down to 3 runs a week which will help. The last four weeks training have been tough on my mental state and the last two runs have been very humid, so i feel a little drained from it all. All in all i have been pretty consistent with my running over the last 10 months - i am at  2250 km. I've had a lot of races and been improving my speed gradually over that period. So i accept i do need a proper rest at some point in the very near future. It will happen, i am resting every night feet up, gentle massage, body is craving porridge and museli all the time! Must remember to get my daily quota of protein in as well!

• Options
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

TD - sadly i don't have a bike, another option i have for exerting myself is 5-a-side football with my brother's team. That would be just asking for trouble. 

How aobut swimming. I went for 2km blast in the pool at lunch and it certainly uses different muscles, it's non impact, and you get that nice "worked out hard" fug if you push hard enough!!

TD - You signed up for a tri yet?

• Options

Ks - ranger tours are on the day things. When I went to Alcatraz I just lined up. Took longer but there were tickets available on the day. 

• Options
    TheEngineer wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

TD - sadly i don't have a bike, another option i have for exerting myself is 5-a-side football with my brother's team. That would be just asking for trouble. 

How aobut swimming. I went for 2km blast in the pool at lunch and it certainly uses different muscles, it's non impact, and you get that nice "worked out hard" fug if you push hard enough!!

TD - You signed up for a tri yet?

Jimbob - football IS asking for trouble on tired muscles, plus it won't allow your running muscles to heal more deeply. Can you borrow a bike or pick something inexpensive up 2nd hand?

The Engineer (sounds like a character from The Incredibles...in which case, TartanPimpernel HAS to be Edna Mode)

I only ever did one Tri when I was 18 and won it (you can guess the standard was basement level). I retired after that. Isn't the sport full of brash show offs? I'd never fit in.

I guess the possibility is out there but right now it doesn't feel very important and I want to make sure that I get other things right in my life first before taking on that sort of challenge.

• Options

Jimbob - I agree with you, the humidity's very draining at the moment. I went out this evening and it was like running through soup. It's still 26 degrees out thereand that's almost 9pm.

Strangely though, unlike you, I'm not craving carbs but fat. Pork pies, chocolate, buttered toast. Probably says something very telling about my diet, but I need to be careful.

Good luck tomorrow MM and TD with the big Mausparent meeting. I'm sure you'll get on. Just don't stand on your head in a shopping trolley. Well, not straightaway anyway - at least wait until you've been introduced.

• Options

I'm doing a triathlon on 15 Sept.  Talked my 9 year old son into entering the kids' race and thought it would be fun to do it myself.  Need to try out the getting wet in sports bra and shorts bit before getting a top and shoes on and hitting the bike.  Trying not to think about times, just achieveing something I never thought possible.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Spot of rain anyone? Just what we need in the last w/end before GNR.

• Options

Good luck with 'Meet the Parents' TD.

Kirstin - your first Tri? Exciting!! I did my first one last year and made a complete ars* of it, but loved it. Which one are you doing?

A spot of rain here too.

• Options

Crumbs - my make-up's going to wash off if it's raining on Sunday image

Kirsten - I wouldn't worry about time. You're guaranteed a PB image

TD/Maus - hope you have a good time. And I really hope Mr and Mrs Maus aren't lurking on the thread with all the double entendres flying about...

Mr and Mrs Maus - if you're lurking, hello image Your daughter's one of the nicest people I've met. And TD's not bad either. (He's good with graphs BTW if you need anything complicated turning into an even more complicated graph)

• Options

Weedy - are you running in costume? Which one? I'll look out for you on the telly! Isn't it traditional for it to rain on GNR? It started raining when we were in the pens last year, and maintained a light drizzle the whole way through, bless the weather. 

I bombed out of my run last night as I decided to 'listen to my body' and my body was telling me I wanted a rest. We fell off the diet wagon spectactularly by getting a pizza hut for tea. Woops. Then I decided to run four miles before work. Set the alarm and then had a nightmare about the house burning down (perhaps I'm slightly stressed?!) and woke up not feeling up to running in the relative dark, on my own. Ho hum. 

Still, parkrun tomorrow and then my last long run as an unmarried woman on Sunday - weird!

What's everyone else doing this weekend?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Kirsten Burnett wrote (see)

I'm doing a triathlon on 15 Sept.  Talked my 9 year old son into entering the kids' race and thought it would be fun to do it myself.  Need to try out the getting wet in sports bra and shorts bit before getting a top and shoes on and hitting the bike.  Trying not to think about times, just achieveing something I never thought possible.

Good luck! It'll be a PB. When I did a sprint last year -  I was told to not worry about drying off. Just throw on the clothes and go. I swam in my sports bra (underneath my cozzie), put on a pair of cycling shorts for the ride/run and then ran in it all.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

You'll have fun in the Tri, K. Don't worry about times. It will , indeed, be a PB . ( I've been last. After first, it's really the only place to be...image ) Talc in my socks after the swim was the best tip I got. ) You'll be all ready for the Team MacPerky Tri, Loch Lomond, next July...Simon's going to coach us all through another near-death experience...

You're in the final straight, KS. parkrun for me, too, tomorrow . Then, a run round that well-know non-tropical island, Cumbrae, with Running Rodent, Eggy, Tartanpimpernel, Scott, Audrey and helterskelter...and hundreds of others...but they don't count as much...

Weedy, 'can't wait for the photos..

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kirsten - If I can - i'll dig out my "numpties guide to tri" and can send it over to you - if you're interested?

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

I still need to get myself along to do a parkrun, keep meaning to.

I have the FORCE 10k at Powderham on Sunday so tomorrow will probably be just a light jog.

1 more week of work and then off to Majorca for a week. Taking my running stuff as need to keep up the training for the Great West half in October. Even if I'm feeling super fit I'll still have to watch Jimbob disappear in to the distance!

• Options

Thanks everyone..."meet the parents in person" is next weekend. This weekend is a dress rehearsal.

Weedy: If Mama and Papa Maus were following, they would probably be contributing. Where do you think I get my cheeky from?

I haven't run since Monday. Have been very busy - it's really vindicated my decision to pull out of Berlin. Who knows? I may get out over the weekend.

KS: Sounds indeed like a little bit of stress. Go easy on yourself and enjoy this last week leading up to the wedding.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this weekend's costumes. I hope it stays fine for you all.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Maus - I can lend you mine afterwards... TD can chase you around the island image

• Options

Mrs DV just popping in to say hi! Apparently I will be running the Paris Marathon next year. I'm not quite sure how this has happened as after my last (and only) half marathon (a few years ago now) I vowed never again. Hopefully with Mr DV's excellent training and good support I will make it round. Am roping in some of my cycling club, so be prepared for a lot of pink shirts!