Options

Great North Run 2014

Comments

• Options

Ohhhh. I had the e-mail Nov 7th last year.  Can you log into your account at greatrun.org and see if there is anything there?

• Options

Yes done that and nothing yet. Also waiting for e-mail for Laura to invite her to be a member.

• Options

Just e-mailed them and apparently 25/11 they will be sending out renewals and new offers of membership

• Options

Ahhhh.  Good. I can prepare to pay up for next year image

• Options

4 days and no posts !!!! Like a ghost town round here.

Hope everyone is fighting fit and well, im still injured but kindof enjoying a winter off from running if im honest.  Bought myself some new kit as an incentive for when im able to get running again and entered 2 triathlons for next year as i fancy a change of scenery from the same old road races.  Got a sprint tri in may (400m swim, 20km ride, 5km run) and a standard distance in july (1.2km swim, 30km bike, 10km run) the latter of which involves the swim in the tyne !! And as it stands i can only swim breast stroke and for a maximum of 400m before wanting to die.  So given myself 6 months to learn crawl effectively enough to compete !

• Options

mr sj - good on you - have to say the swimming bit is what puts me off Tri's - I can coach swimming but swimming myself is an issue in so far as do not do what I used to coach kids to do.

• Options

Hellooooeee.

My next official race will probably be May too.  Oxford Town & Gown 10K, Always shakes me out of the Winter lull - and it's already open for entries which is amazing.

• Options

Today it hailed

That is all.

• Options

Good luck with the swimming mr sj- When i entered a tri 2yrs ago, I spent 4 months getting to the point where I could swim 200m crawl!  Luckily no one overtook me on the bike or run section so it made up for the floundering that i call swimming.  But swim training is sooo boring- oh look, there's a tile, and another, and a black one.  And a hair grip etc

• Options

OS - so cynical but so true

• Options
    Just lurking. Not been in here for a while.
  • Options

Hiya Stoxy.

It's very quiet round here these days. We need to re-kindle the thread. Come on back everyone. . . . . .

• Options

And me ! Just not posting at the moment as not running and nothing to say image

• Options

Mornin' all

I did a 10k race yesterday.  Lots of our club there which was great.  I tacked myself on to one of my club mates (perhaps alittle too closely sometimes as I clipped his heels every time he slightly slowed his pace image) and followed him for most of the race.  With 800m to go, and being slightly downhill I went past him but then worried I'd gone too early and was waiting for him to pass me. Luckily he didn't and i beat him by 10 secs -I then had to apologise for clipping his heels...

later i came across a FB post and picture taken in the last 50m of a bloke in a local tri club and me sprinting it out who boasted that he'd overtaken "the old bloke" and "stolen his walking stick".  Cros?? me??imageimage.  I messaged him back pointing out that the results showed he was wrong and perhaps he should be ashamed of putting such comments on FB about someone who's only 7yrs older than him, and yet beat him.

Not heard anything back yet...

• Options
    Os - well he sounds like an idiot.

So a brief rundown of what's gone on since I last was in here. Left my job, got another job, then might not have a job, ran my 50th half marathon at Worksop in October, got married.

Other than that its been quite a quiet year. image
  • Options

OS - brilliant. I have found some runners seem to have been in a different race to me sometimes - never quite the same story.

• Options

Evening all (and lurkers!)

How's everyone?  

OS - have you heard back from deluded guy yet?

Hi Stoxy! How's life?

How are you doing Bearsted?

mr sj - stick around as I'm not running much either!

• Options

Vixx - Just trying to wind down to my hols - not east with 6 days work to fit into 3 and people putting more work in the way. Always find it funny how people suddenly need your help and input when they know you not going to be around for 2 weeks to dig them out of all the holes they will get into!!

• Options

Memebership e-mail here - paid and 3 year membership taken - in 2014 race Yippee

• Options

Will now be running at least the next 3 GNR's with my daughter Laura as she has also joined as a member.

• Options

Signed up for next year £50 image  but still has to be done image.

Stoxy, sounds like quite a busy year one way and another.

Old Shadowfax - The other runner must be so gutted that you held them off. They're obviously trying to keep face.  Sounds like they failed. 

Bearsted congrats on the 3 year commitment

mr sj - as Vixx says, stick around anyways.  I haven't run since Great South Run.  Don't think my mojo is coming back til spring - unless Father Christmas brings me a Treadmill (and a shed to put it in!)

• Options

On the first anniversary of Mick the Mackem sadly passing away far too soon, I just wanted to post some photos of the races I've run in his honour this year.  I only "met" Mick on the GNR forum, but he was a really great person and has been sorely missed.
    I don't know if it was subconscious, but I seemed to take on one of Micks last pieces of advice and I've really enjoyed running the races I've run in the Sunderland shirt.  As he said: "To those jogging, walking and running, enjoy it, because you never know when it can be suddenly taken away from you.”

05-May

/members/images/430405/gallery/SSP_SB_81910.jpg

05-June

/members/images/430405/gallery/SSP_AB_04366.jpg

10-July

/members/images/430405/gallery/SSP_AB_00439.JPG

25-August

/members/images/430405/gallery/SSP_AB_00673.jpg

29-September

/members/images/430405/gallery/BarnsGreen.jpg

17-November

/members/images/430405/gallery/Brighton10Kl.jpg

I just wanted to end by saying thanks to Mick for all the support that he gave to fellow runners over the years.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The first four photos were taken by Sussex Sports Photography and they retain the copyright.  They have been purchased and used under the license that they grant permission to reproduce them.

• Options

Bob - Great pics and great memories of a much loved and respected guy. It is hard to believe it is a year ago. Remembering Mick!!

• Options

Mick was in my mind when I did the Northumberland Castles Marathon. Character-building he would have called it!

He was a great guy - a complete gentleman!

• Options

Hi does anyone know how you become a great north run member and pay the bond? Is it magic?! If not I will have to try my luck with the ballet but was really hoping to do it this way as I have 6 halfs planned for next year of which great north is the one I'm most looking forward to and have already sorted accomadation! 

Any information or advice gratefully recieved, thanks 

• Options

Nicki - have you done GNR this year? If so the e-mail about bond membership should be heading to you if it hasn't already.

If you haven't, then the best way is either through a charity place (most charities want between £350-500 raised), or via the ballot.

• Options

Thanks Vixx76, I haven't done it this year so it will be ballet for me. I did Royal Parks for charity and promised friends and family I would never do another charity run so that's not an option, 

• Options

Hello all! ....new to the thread...image

I've just signed up for my 9th GNR! So excited, it's one of my favourite races image