Options

Great North Run 2014

Comments

• Options

It depends on where you are booking accommodation.  I stay in Washington, and on the morning I drive to Hewarth metro and park there (think it's £1.20 for the day), and get the Metro into Newcastle.  It's much easier and less hassle.  I wouldn't park in South Shields unless you want to spend a lot of time in the area afterwards.

I don't know about parking in Newcastle itself, but one of the regulars might know.

• Options

As long as you park outside of the road closure area then traffic doesn't tend to be too bad, I live not that far from the Nook and its fine, is more difficult if you park in shields city centre though.

• Options

I've booked accomodation in Chester-le Street and going to drive to a metro station I think!

£110 for a travelodge room image!!

• Options

ive booked a static caravan for 4 of us, 10 mile away so i plan on driving down on the morning but for 130 quid for 3 nights i cant complain!

• Options

Great that lots have got in and sorry to those who haven't. A crazy year for me getting into the VMLM as well. So it proves your number can come up!image

I cannot see on the website what time the race actually starts? I live near York and plan to come up on the morning and maybe park at a station or even take the train from York....

Is there transport from the finish back to the start?

Thank you!

• Options
    The GNR usually starts at 10.40. Sadly no joy in the ballot so now weighing up whether to apply for a charity place or not
  • Options

Got through on the ballot, first year of events for me, 10k in May and then GNR in September. I'm staying with my sister who is at Uni there image I'm so excited!

• Options

Got my email this morning to say I'm in. Did it 2 years ago in a charity place, got through the ballot this time. No problems for accommodation here, I'll just jump on the very busy train on the morning. Can't wait. Suppose I'd better start some training...

• Options

Great news for my family today, me , my 2 sisters and my brother all got in , we are starting and finishing together, should be a great moment crossing the finish line together

• Options

Thanks for advice folks.  I booked a hotel in Tynemout(which a still way to expensive) which I believe I can get the train/metro into Newcastle in morning.  How easy will it be to get back to Tynemouth from the finish to retrieve my car if I drive down?    Not sure if will drive or get a train down.  I don't know if legs will let me drive back to Fife.  Hubby can't come with me due to having to stay at home with the dogs.

• Options

Speedy from the finish I would head down to the Ferry will save the massive queues on the metro and will save you a lot of time as doesn't take as long journey time.

http://www.nexus.org.uk/ferry

Theres a bus from there up to North Shields metro or if you still up to it a 20 minute walk along the coastal road/path to Tynemouth centre.

Tynemouth a lovely place if you at a loose end on the Saturday head down the market in the metro station, we normally have a stall there on a Sunday but don't bother on GNR day.

• Options
    newbie1984 wrote (see)

I managed to get a place via the ballot in January and I am just looking at accommodation and was wondering if someone could tell me if the Village Urban resort is a good choice as I found a good deal. This is my first half marathon and I'm not sure what to expect so any advice is appreciated.

I've never stayed in that hotel, but you're only a mile away from Northumberland Park metro station for the ride to the start. Seems like a good choice. Some hotels put on a bus to the start, so it's worth asking.

• Options

Hi all. If any of you are still looking for a guaranteed entry, I run a small charity called Tiny Tickers, which helps babies with heart conditions. We've got a small-but-perfectly-formed team taking part (five charity places plus I've made it in through the ballot for my fourth crack at the GNR). We can't offer all the bells and whistles the bigger charities do - just a guaranteed place, a very fetching running shirt, the knowledge you are helping poorly kids, and our gratitude (plus help with fundraising etc...). You can drop us a line at info@tinytickers.org if you want more info. Thanks. On a personal note, 2014 will be my first GNR for ten years and the first time I've got over 10k for just as long. Best get the old legs into training and see if I've still got it (not that I ever really had it in the first place, to be fair!). 

• Options

Thanks for that Daveymck.  Def looks the better option than the metro.  Might be quite nice after the run.  Get back to car, get some food then the long drive home.  

Race sorted, hotel and transport sorted.  Now only to tell the old legs they have to actually train to do it.

• Options

Just got my place via charity but I can't find any cheap hotels/B&B's in Newcastle or surrounding areas.  The cheapest hotel I could find was £190 for 1 night. Also need one that's got access to public transport as I plan on catching a train from Bristol to Newcastle.

Found one thru the Nirvana thingy but its more of an out of town hotel with miles from the nearest rail link. Looked at trains going from Leeds/Manchester but they don't reach Newcastle until 10:30 on the Sunday.

• Options

Mike, no idea of price but I think easy jet fly Bristol/Newcastle, there's hotels at the airport, a premier inn at Callerton Parkway and one of those French F1 hotels at Kingston Park - all on Metro line that will also take you direct to Newcastle (Haymarket) for the start.

• Options
    Charity place now confirmed and accommodation booked in Gateshead for the GNR.
  • Options

I'll join in on this now- hadn't spotted my email so found out when I looked at my credit card statement. Oops. Am going to book my accomodation at the weekend, think I'm just going to have to accept it will be overpriced. My brother did it in 2005 and ended up camping as he left it so late! Apparently it was a really good atsmosphere, but it wouldn't be my choice of pre-race prep

• Options

6 months to go folks - Can't wait image

• Options

Well first post in these forums and I was lucky enough to get a place in the GNR.  It's my first time running it and will be my first event.  So far have managed 10k on the road and seem to be progressing nicely.  

Can anyone give advice on race day logistics?  My missus will be dropping me off at the start and i'd like her to be there at the end to see my finish and pick me up... what's the best way for her to get to the finish line?  Through the tyne tunnel?

• Options

SAM82 - use the Metro system. It is far easier and unless you're Mo Farrah quick, your wife should be able to see the start, jump on a Metro to South Shields and walk to the end to see you finish.

• Options

Goodness me, over a month without a post on here. What's happened? Is there a new thread that I've missed somehow? 

Anyone running the NT10k tomorrow? I'm not doing it this year, with it being just a week after the marathon. It seems wrong somehow. It's just what I normally do on Easter Sunday!

• Options

I know, all quiet.

Half Marathon of the North/Sunderland Half Marathon and then Pier to Pier are next on my agenda - if I can get the pain under my right heel sorted, think it's Plantar Fascitis, but off to doctor's this afternoon to get it checked.

• Options

Hi all, this will be my 6th GNR, i would say my last also, but been saying that on the last 3 I've done, already looking forward to it.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

I'm doing the Sunderland half too Stephen image  Looking forward to a decent time, hopefully, after a winter and spring of marathon training!  Hope the heel pain calms down for you before then.

Hi BrummieJohn image  only my 2nd GNR, but I got hooked after the first, so can see why you haven't managed to stop!

• Options
    Hi madbee, yes once you get hooked you can't stop lol, it's such a great event.
  • Options

its all gone silent on here lol

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

First time for me at GNR, looks really exciting, Leeds Hal this weekend (still recovering from Paris). Massage yesterday and legs really aching now. 3 rest days this week, hoping to peak as running form hast been as good as 2013. Feedback on GNR looks really good, is Mo going to win this time?