Options

Great North Run 2014

Comments

• Options

Can't wait for this one. No support on the sidelines so I've got the to wear or not wear headphones conundrum. How could you possibly want to block out that local support??!

Trying to beat a 78:30 pb set at the GNR last year. Did have ambitions of cutting off another 5mins from my time but a bad groin injury has hampered progress since the London Marathon. Think I'd be happy with something around 75mins. 

Good luck to everyone who is running it this year. Best race for atmosphere I've ever experienced!

• Options

Better atmosphere than the London Marathon? I have only ever run 10km races before, the best for atmosphere being the Manchester 10km.

• Options

To be fair the London Marathon was pretty special this year. The weather was good for supporters and Mo was running but I think the GNR just edges it for volume - especially volume per person! Are you running it? Always wanted to run Manchester. 

• Options

I am running it this year, first time ever, in fact first ever half marathon. A little worried as got injured and only just getting back up to 12km on my LSR. Should be at 18km before the race. Not ideal but best I can do with time left.

Manchester 10km is really good, massive event but the crowds are only really in the city centre and in all honesty I dont think the support is as good as people say. That being my home town as well but it is not that well supported imho. Maybe I am expecting too much.

• Options
    Hi everyone I'm running the great north run this year and my partner is going to be bringing me up in the car and spectating. We will be driving from Leeds on the morning of the race and I'm not starting to panick about timings and places to park!

Does anyone have any recommendation of what time to leave Leeds to get to somewhere to park then get to the start line? Forums are telling me to avoid Newcastle city centre parking but the others you then need to get public transport to the start line - I get really bad anxiety before a race as it is and I can see me having a complete meltdown!

Any advice on specific places to park/time takes to get to start line from there/time to set off from Leeds would be much much much appreciated image)

Thanks xx
  • Options

The Metro system works really well and you shouldn't worry about that part of your travel plans.

• Options
    SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm getting better thankfully, up to 6 miles, still got a bit of tightness but no pain so happy days so Physio sessions must be working! Feeling a lot better about this now knowing I'll be able to do it, still no chance of racing it but will be nice just to run around without putting myself under any pressure for a change! Anyway, just realised I haven't sorted on how to get to the start and then back to the hotel so will need to get that done! Apparently race packs now been sent out as well so can't be long now image

• Options

Hello folks

I've signed up for the GNR pretty late (someone at work could get us free places through a charity and the idea of racing colleagues appealed to my competitive nature).

My legs work and I expect I'll be able to get around in a time I'm happy with, but I haven't booked any accommodation, and there doesn't seem to be much going. 

I got the email about the Sleepover in the City thing (apparently it involve a lot of people on camp beds in a university gym - sounds like the aftermath of an earthquake, not ideal), which seems the cheapest option, but I read a horrible review of it, which said they don't turn the lights off, for health and safety reasons.

Does anyone have any good suggestions of where to stay on the cheap - I'm not especially rich - , or a spare room in a joint accommodation venture that needs filling, or could anyone even confirm that the Sleepover isn't 100% horrible?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks very much!

James, 24, cash-strapped, Cumbria

• Options

Westoe RFC in South Shields allows people to camp there (I think) for a small fee - check out their website or give them a call.

• Options

Got my pack through today at last! They have moved me up from White E last year to Orange C this time around. Reckon I will need to be careful not to go too quick early on as pace is bound to be a bit hotter amonst quicker runners but really looking forward to it.

• Options

I'm also in orange C - do you know what finish time range this zone is for?

• Options

No, but I ran 1.49.48 last year if that is any help.

• Options

I can't remember what time I put down, probably around 1:45, so sounds about right - thanks.  I'm really hoping it's not too congested running at that pace.  My experience of congestion at the VLM this year wasn't great, but then I was running slower due to slight injury.

• Options

Hi all,

Running GNR for the first time this year... need some local advice. I am expecting to drive up from Kent on Saturday... probably to sleep in the car at a service station and on the day I hope to park near South Shields and Metro to the start. Can anyone advise on a good/reliable place to park in South Shields near to the station (walking distance) that I can ditch the car at until I (hopefully) cross the line later in the day?

Much appreciated.

• Options

Hi all - seen that the numbers are circulating.  I am currently on holiday and was wondering if you can access your number through the website? can't seem to see anything that indicates you can?

No training whilst on holiday for 2 weeks but will pick up when home, was running 10 miles as part of my weekly routine so just a matter of upping it a little, plus I throw in a 222ft elevation just for good measure.  Looking forward to this race, not sure what I put for my finishing time s no idea of which pen will end up in.

• Options

I don't think you can, but what time are you hoping for?  I'm doing a run this evening at race pace, to see how near to 13 miles I can get keeping to that pace.

• Options

It's my first Great North Run, really looking forward to it image.  Mark ( post above ), the guide book says there is event parking at South Shields and shuttle busses to the start, that's what I'm going to try, as I'm planning on spending the afternoon in South Shields anyway. I see there is a street full of Indian restaurants image   Anyone know how early you have to be to get parked and get the bus like this? Also, I put my estimated time down as 2hrs 15, and got a green number in block I, now I thing I can do it in 1:45, will started so far back be a problem? 

• Options

Lwdajo - As part of my marathon training I ran a half marathon in 1:56 at an easyish pace so hoping to better that when putting in a bit more effort - realistically anything around the 1:50 mark I would be happy with..

• Options

as per other thread : 

Booking Details

Accommodation:                                             Newcastle University - Windsor Terrace

Room Type:                                                        Single Basic

Number of rooms:                                          1

Number of Guests:                                         1

Arrival Date:                                                      06/Sep/2014

Departure Date:                                                               07/Sep/2014

Room and return race transfer cost £75 but if someone wants them for £50 then you can have it, let me know thanks.  Non refundable but defering race entry to next year due to injury, cheers

• Options

Orange D for me again ( must try harder!) and orange B for hubby. Life currently getting in the way of training but a couple of weeks to get ourselves sorted out.  Week of hill walking/ running has left my legs feeling decidedly second-hand so will be treating 11m race this Sunday as a training run!

DaveRob - we went for the Saturday night curry and beer combo last year. Mistake! 

It'll be organic dust and mineral water this year image

• Options

Hi,

I'm wondering does anyone know if there is a specific car pooling site that is used for GNR?

I'm looking for options to travel to London after the race on Sunday will probably end up taking a train but they seem very expensive (£65) and you have to book for a particular time.

If i do take a train, what would be a reasonable time to expect to get back into central newcastle at coming from South Shields via metro or bus. 

If I complete I expect it will be somewhere between 2:00 and 2:15 

• Options
    I have accommodation for 6th & 7th in a Holiday Inn but am unable to participate this year so am deferring my entry, however the hotel is non refundable so am hoping someone wants to buy it from me. I wanted to be there for the 'millionth finish' so splashed out on a hotel for 2 nights. If anyone is interested in making a weekend of it in slightly more comfortable surroundings than the camp site or the back of a car.....it was ??175...I can forward the receipt.
  • Options

Question: ( possibly one for GNR veterans) when we all start off on the central motorway, the people on the rhs of the pen go up over and the people on the lhs go under - which is better? I have gone under past two years but wondered if there was any advantage to be gained by going over ( other than which celebrity you get to high 5)? Trying to avoid congestion and get a good start. Orange D.

• Options
    Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭

I was flicking through the race information booklet today.

I think Seb Coe will be pleased to know he won the 800m world athletics championships gold in 1981. At last - a global title!

• Options

Hi all,

I'm unable to run this year, but have already bought advance First Class train tickets from London Kings Cross to Newcastle and back.

Outward travel is on Saturday 6th leaving KX at 1330.

Return travel is on Sunday 7th leaving Newcastle at 1627

Both journeys take about 3 hours. No changes required.

I paid £118.80 for these.   The cheapest Standard Class tickets cost more than this.

Would anyone give me £60.00 for the pair?

First Class, reserved seats, complimentary food & drink, wi-fi....

ralph at dadswell dot com 

• Options

AliBallyBee- I have always started on LHS in Orange pens and found it fine in terms of congestion, although there always seem to be people going slow/walking from the start. Think I may try RHS for a change this year.

• Options

Hi, I've had to pull out GNR due to falling when you running last week and breaking my ankle. I'm absolutely gutted. I have 2 single rooms for 1night at Marris house part of the uni accommodation which is 10 min walk from start line.

if anyone wants it then please contact me...I paid £68 each room and will be happy to accept £90 for both....unlikely to be any cheap accommodation so close to start line.

• Options

Hi AliBallyBee - I've started on both sides over the years & inevitably it always seems to be the other side of the road from the one I'm on that moves quicker! If it's raining, you like tunnels & the "oggy" chanting stay LHS!

• Options

Thanks for that. I do enjoy the "oggy" chantingimage but get pretty frustrated with the people who have started walking or had to stop for a pee within the first quarter mile!!image 

Struggling now with prep for GNR vs prep for Loch Ness marathon. I SHOULD be doing 20m the day of the GNR but think I might have to do it this Saturday instead. Alternative is two weeks before Loch Ness which doesn't give me much of a taper. Any comments ( I am not fast or fit). GRR. be so much easier if I didn't have to work!!!

• Options
    GoalpostGoalpost ✭✭✭

Ali - Have a long warm up, so for example if you take 2 hours to complete a HM then have a 1 hour warm up unless you are targetting a PB at the GNR. Otherwise go with a two week taper. Don't fret about distance covered as you will have 13 race pace miles in. No need to run in excess of 3 hours for a marathon, you could possibly get away with 2.5 hours given the HM pace. Key is to be under rather than over-trained at this late stage as I have found out. Will be at the start line though no matter what.