Options

Scott's training log, advice, support

Comments

• Options
    X POST! Hopefully Scotty, seems to be the knee is aching on the inside because of the hammy being tight and knotty behind the knee. Probably inflammation built from faster reps really 

Can't believe Mahamed ran 15:2x and he's basically not ran since Xmas except the last few week or so! 

Again another run from you bagged good news
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Ran from home today before setting off to Kent. Accident on the M25 doubled my journey time from 2 to nearly 4 hours. Was left rushing to check into hotel again 

Leg was angry after my run especially in the areas Steve found yesterday. Good news in a way we're finding the problem and after some painful rolling on a trigger roller (I have a flat one and the knobbly one) and self hurt I felt better and again I could go from barely being able to reach my shins to touching toes with no pulling pain 

Just over 5 at 7:10s or so. Felt horrible in fairness.

Bit annoyed as previous job shorted me some money today (pay day) finished on the 13th, was then in for 4 days holiday to the 17th and starting new job 18th. The holiday wasn't put through so lost over 200 quid. I would have been happy to work if I hadn't accured enough but don't take the piss. Don't think it's going to get sorted either, they claim now I used all my allowance which I should abbot funny seeing as if I didn't quit I had this early 4 days booked and also two weeks in July lol!!! 

So anyway, point was I wasn't then happy paying 50 quid to join a club and enter county championships today as I kinda needed that money being away and covering rent but still I did it. 5km entered and back with Itchen, I really was going to join Southampton again but I think this year I won't make it to any of their relay teams or SAL meets ,so Watford opens fits and Hampshire XC I can do with Itchen. 

Maybe nect year if Im still running and progress I'll look to get in the Southampton AC side of things  

Should get some sleep, in work early tomorrow and then straight down for this wedding and then straight back to Kent although I reckon I'm going to be on Sunday close now so I may get to stay in Southampton tomorrow night and run from home 

Providing leg is ok my plan looks like 

Saturday - Rest 
    Sunday -  Session (End week on 5/7 run days)

Monday - 75" 
    Tueaday - 30"
    Wednesday - Watford 1500m

• Options
    Sounds harsh about the pay - do you have any means of disputing it and numbers to back up whether they owe you or you owe them the holiday?

Interesting what you say about the clubs, as my Stubbie renewal is overdue and I haven't decided what to do yet. Last year I paid but didn't end up racing. This year I'm more optimistic about fitting in some training again and hopefully racing later in the year, but I won't get back in shape to be of significance to Stub teams and won't train with them, so my only reason for renewing would be because of loyalty and friends there. Joining one of the closer clubs that didn't exist when I first joined Stub - like Hedge End or Itchen - would make more sense, except for the cost of buying a new vest!
  • Options

Has Mahamad been injured then? 

Fingers crossed lots of icing, rolling and stretching solves the problem then. Makes sense just to join Itchen, as Southampton is pretty expensive! Whats the 1500m target on Wed's all thing's being well?

Back at parents this weekend so did a hilly 40 mins last night, and this morning decided to do parkrun. Started off steadyish with 2 miles at 6:04 and back in around 7th. Feeling pretty good and felt like I could reel the front group in so stepped it up and quickly closed everyone down with a 5:26 mile, went past first with a few hundred metres to go and easily won by 5/6 seconds to finish in 18:11 clocking 4:44 pace for the last bit. Off out tonight to watch the boxing, can't wait! Longer run tomorrow  :)

• Options
    Boxing was epic! Topped off a great night with family 

Balle - See the point about a new vest I guess. Yes I got the numbers etc to back it up so should be sorted, just a pain. It is hard with the club, the only reason I didn't join soton this year was cost, in unlikely to run with Itchen on a training night really, my focus shouldn't be maximising the days I run. Selfish but fact

Scott - Amazing parkrun mate and still got that top end speed! How did the legs feel?? 

Mahamed been injured for ages, since Edinburgh XC, I think not long ago I posted I saw him down there running on the grass and then a few weeks go and hes low  15s. Mental 

Target is a PB so 4:22 but ideally I want under 4:20

I just don't know if I have that speed though, I feel I could run a better 3km now and closer to 70s a lap but to try run 68/69s just seems silly when I've not done that much work sustaining that pace. We will see

Legs been better and even with lots of driving again no reaction, no run today though. Need to keep the loading exercises going and rolling

Change of plan, so I'm staying here in soton tonight and leaving tomorrow for work about 12. Brother wants breakfast out at a pub so I'm likely to do that at 9am and then go straight to work so may not run, in which case I'll do session Monday 
  • Options
    You smashed that parkrun Scott P! Good to see you've maintained some speed despite no running sessions!

The boxing was awesome, on the edge of my seat for the whole fight! Really thought Klitschko had it when the rounds where closing. Massive respect for both of them!

Glad to hear your leg is better today Scott - extra rest before the 1500 and 5km champs will do you no harm!

Went for a tester run yesterday, still no good. Could feel my the inside of my calf aching after about a mile, and today around my outer ankle (up the leg, and the muscly bit on the foot) is sore - not masses of pain, but more uncomfortable than anything else.
    So clearly there is a problem, but it's out of my scope to diagnose.

Plan is to see a physio - can you guys recommend anyone? I've been to one at the UoS gym before, but it's a bit pricey.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear Matt! I've been to a few but Kyle is good and has seen me through problems but I know he is super busy. I think me and Scott could agree Steve is proper and also trustworthy being that he coaches the athletes he does physio for at times and any bad rep wouldn't do that any good. 

I first saw a guy in ocean village who was through a free sign up at sweatshop, can't really remember the name. He was good as also the first time he said he didn't want to keep seeing me I just needed to stop running to sort my Achilles out! Some would take advantage no doubt 

My friend Oli may be interested in looking and helping as he is doing his masters in physio and placement. I'll drop him a message (bit late now) 

Late finish at work again, just back at hotel now! Been non stop for a few days so running has taken a back seat really, pretty much since Watford which will be two weeks this Wednesday. In a way good to let me absorb some. 

Leg has been the best behaved for a while today too. About to roll and do my exercises whilst watching an episode of billions before work at 9. Plan is 70 mins tomorrow after work, no point getting up super early to run when I will lose sleep. I can nap after work if I have too I don't have any commitments here for now 

• Options
    Boxing certainly was brilliant although it kicked off in the snooker room I was watching it in with chairs/glasses being thrown and someone being hit with a snooker queue...idiots!

You still planning on running Watford Scott as I know everyone else has bailed?

I think seeing a physio is a good idea Matt, hopefully they can sort it quick and you can get back to it without too much time out

Yesterday morning went out with my brother for an hour, then today did the first sessions for ages. 4 of us down and stuck to the grass, kept it short at 5 x 3mins(90), 2 x 30(60) but averaged 5:15ish pace for the 3mins so happy with that. Next session on Thursday
  • Options
    Good session SP, must be good to get back to it! How is the knee now, I trust that is all good?
    Not sure I'd want to be in that pub!!

Physio all booked with the uni - £45 for an hour, so fingers crossed they'll find the problem.

I've managed to secure a job at the uni for 8 weeks, equivalent of £13/hour, which makes everything easier! Been on a bit of a spending spree though, haha

Got some more shoes - New Balance Vazee Pace V2, team elite version, which were cheaper than the standard - go figure!

Also gonna buy a smart turbo trainer - I'm not enjoying the lay off, and I planned on buying one when I start the PhD. I can get some good cross-training in that way (as I'm not part of a gym), with some power-based workouts and Zwift/TrainerRoad cycling sessions
  • Options
    Bloody hell Scott right back at the fast stuff!! 5:15m pace for 3 mins on grass, that's about my fitness right now!

I've been told I'm running Watford even if everyone else bails! For me it was about petrol and sharing the car and the fact I've just driven so many miles lately! It's meant to be my day off so missions really but will be going as long as I don't have any really bad reactions to the leg, did start to feel it today, just finished work and back in the hotel so going to rest for an hour and stretch before heading out 

Im motivated to run a 1500 although really want to do the 3km again. Have to follow the plan though thinking about the county champs

Matt - Very nice bagging that job, decent wage too starting! I love the idea of Zwift, I had the original Tacx virtual reality trainer years and years ago but was so buggy. I would love to get it all again if I had the money / space! One day perhaps! 

Nice one getting seen at the uni and new shoes! Hopefully will find the problem! 
  • Options
    Yes knee is much better, still the odd twinge and can be worse when sitting at desk/driving for ages but manageable.Yes got a little scary in the pub!

Congratulations on the job, decent pay. Fingers crossed for the physio 

Was certainly surprised at the pace when I looked afterwards, pretty much kept up with Aaron who ran low 17's. Think Steve said I'm aiming to race at the SAL race in a few week's time so need to get some consistent weeks together
  • Options
    Excellent news Scott re the knee and possible return soonish to racing! Saw Matt C is in for the 3km Wednesday so will have a word with Steve lol. 

I managed 8 miles but only about 3/4 pain / ache free in the knee. Also my abs / groin area is really tight below my belly button but face on, maybe that's something linked but it was like a major stitch very strange. 

I rolled and stretched the knee but / hamstring but still snags when I go to touch my toes 

Held an ok pace 7:10s but HR was nearer 130 couldn't do much else really tired 

• Options
    How long have you got the training down in Kent for, you almost done?

Odd about the abs/groin issue, would be interesting to see if it was linked or not

30 mins easy this evening, legs are incredibly achey. Need to stretch and roll later
  • Options
    I'm up there till Sunday then start in Southampton on the Monday morning. I drove back home last night after finishing around 12 midnight (I have my two days off now) The south entry to M25 was shut so I had to navigate round all sort of back roads just to make up a few miles to get back on track! Was home around 2:15AM so not that bad, no alarm and woke up gone 10AM today. 

Foot seems to be worse than the knee now, tight and walking a bit funny. I think the driving didn't help. I will spend some time rolling and stretching everything today and try release my hammies and glutes ready for tonight, they need to be firing. 

Steve has advised I put down well inside 4:20 tonight for the 1500 which scares me, It's not that I'm not confident but I just haven't done reps at 66/67s really. However target is set and I'm all in for it and will give it my best shot. You never know

Totaled up miles for April and despite two low weeks I came out at 184 miles and just over 750 for the year now. I have never opened up a year on this many miles. My best 4 months came end of 2015. This is a good sign I guess just need to be careful of the knee, but also remind myself I have banked a great start to the year and have infact ran a 3KM PB

Popped a Zapain today as my piles were a little bit angry, seem to come and go, but really think working a fair bit, stressing and then driving many hours is a recipe for them to pop

Hope all of you are well otherwise!

Buzzing for tonight

• Options
    Made ok time for Watford despite hitting traffic just past Heathrow. 

1500s started at 8:05pm and we arrived 7:15ish so a quick registration and wait for the time of our race. There were quite a few slower ones starting around 5:30 pace and hen suddenly a big drop towards us.

Me and Matt got split and he was in the race after me although said he would probably run slower than me. I felt uncomfortable as my piles had flared and had quite a bit of bleeding when I went to the toilet just before warming up. Pain killers didn't help. Sat in the car wasn't nice 

Warmed up and could feel my calf / shin / hammie pulling and snagging whilst doing certain drills but when I did some strides it felt ok

On the start line with all lean young lads and one girl I didn't know. 

Gun goes and I push toward the front after a frantic first 200, about 4th inside line and trying to hold that position, two guys in front seem to be stuttering and we pass 400 in 67 but it slows further and I get caught up, clipping heels at least twice and having to "help push" the lad in front to encourage him either pushing on and moving to one side, I see a chance and a gap and I'm finding myself creep towards the front, we pass 800 in 2:16 so it's slowed and I take the race one hear and break away at the front, I felt good and have opened up a gap, I can hear the shouts as we're on the back straight and I try and push more but I don't have the response in my legs. My knee was pulling 

Didnt catch the splits for 1km but hit the bell in about 3:10 and I'm still leading, 6 guys suddenly surge past at the 200 mark and I really try to keep with them, I pass 2 but the others stretched away so I come in 5th. Irrelevant as such.

4:20.85 as final time, think closer to 4:15 is possible now I've experienced that. PB at least

Home very late again with motorway closures and slept in again today. Leg seems ok waking up although not ran or anything, foot was very tight but my arse is still really painful. Need to see the doc
  • Options

Brilliant run last night Scott, brave taking the race on but hung on well and ran a solid time. Will see you down at some sessions soon when you're back in Southampton

Still going well here, another 30mins yesterday and a session this evening. 10min tempo (2), 5 x 300 (60) 500m jog, 3 x 300m (75) 500m jog, 2 x 300m (90). Averaged 5:32 for the tempo then 300's were 54,53,53,52,52/51,51,50/48,48

• Options
    That was a brilliant race SE, especially to get a PB! Sorry to hear your the problems with your piles though, hope the doc can sort something for you.

SP, a good strong session - like you've hardly been away!

Had my sports massage yesterday, and the chap found two really tight spots - at the top of the soleus by the heads of the gastroc, and the muscle that runs on the outside of the shin. The latter is likely the cause of the problems I've been having!

Fingers crossed that it's done the job - legs are still tender today!

Gave the new turbo a go, and got on Zwift. Planned for an hour but ended up finding the biggest darn hill around... Was enjoyable though!
    I'm going to use the turbo to introduce intensity early, without having to build up the mileage on foot too much. Even when I reach normal mileage (~50mi), I'll do easy sessions for cross training, as well as one hard session a week.
  • Options
    Yes Scott. Got my little one tonight then back there tomorrow for 3 late shifts and then straight into Monday 8:30am in Southampton after driving back Sunday night :/ 

Think I should be there Tuesday though. With various other training still and my shifts I don't known how many I can get down for May but hope I can have a crack at Sub 9 3km on the 31st which I know I'm off for, you could race? It'll give you some time to get semi fit and a race early on won't hurt you I am sure. That session was a repeat of the one I did other day and you were only maybe 1-2 seconds slower than me. Shows the raw speed you have! Nice  

Spoke to the surgeons secretary today and will have my appointment brought forward, arse has been painful all day really, almost as bad as when I had the op. No blood and the pain eventually eased away now, the 2nd toilet stop was pain free

Matt - Good he found those spots, I reckon you'll notice a world of difference when you next run even if it feels tender still. Zwift = pure jealous for me! Great idea throwing in the XT / hard session idea, I should follow suit! 

No run today, did my loading exercises and could feel the area almost burning! Weird sensation! Rolled on the knobbly roller and boy did I find some tender spots, especially on the peroneal

I think I'm going to book and pay Steve for some treatment next week ahead of the counties and get a full work up on the leg, I know he wants to anyway. Just then can lay a plan about re hitting full training or having 3/4 days off instead of this every other day crap 
  • Options
    Saw that ride on Swift Matt, that sure was some hill! Fingers crossed the physio did the job and you can get back to running soon. Sensible to build things up gradually whilst still maintaining volume/sessions with the turbo

Steve has pencilled me in for the SAL on the 20th May (800m/1500m most likely) so Watford a week and a bit after that definitely seems doable. Surprised with how last nights session went tbh, was all over the place for the last couple of 300m's must have looked a right mess!

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having again, hopefully the appointment can give some idea of what's brought the pain on again. I have a tender spot right at the top of my calf almost behind the knee really need to get at it but it's so painful when I rolled it the other day. Yes I plan to see Steve in a few weeks just to iron anything out

• Options
    You ran really well though Scott, even to run 48 or so for a single 300 is fast and with a good few miles before hand very impressive stuff on the return. I think with a few months out I was no where earn below 6m/m to start. Will be good to have some session smackdowns although I'm going to potentially have a proper sit down and think about my mental blocks. It's been mentioned by threadsters and then by Matt C in the car on the way home how I beast training sessions yet under perform on races, I have dropped Matt on all sessions yet he ran so much quicker than me, similar to the 3km, Andrius really only pulled ahead on the much shorter reps in sessions yet raced much better 

That spot seems the same area as me :/ it's been nagging a touch today 

No run today so that's 2 more days off. Just finished work and back in for 8:30am for a few hours then will come away and attempt a session set by Steve then back for my actual shift 4:30-Close
  • Options
    There must be a reason you tend to beat sessions and not quite being able to do it in races, maybe the occasion almost gets to you a bit and that takes the edge of the performance in some instances, who knows......

Yes tbh at this stage really not bothered too much by the paces but they're much better than I expected. Yeah it was bad after the session again today so more rolling etc needed

Session this morning was 7min tempo (2), then 2 sets of 4min(90), 4 x 75(60) with 90 between sets and 10 x 30(45) to finish. Really struggled but everything was still mid 5min mile pace so actually not all bad
  • Options
    Man if you're running 5:20-5:40or so over those reps that's going to show by the end of the season with some shiny PBs I think. 

A week away from county champs and im beginning to think I'm not as fit as I think in a way. Will be 3 weeks poor training and I haven't got the quality nor steady runs in
  • Options
    Stay positive mate, hopefully despite the last few weeks being far from ideal you can still run a good race

Just the 30 minutes today, legs feeling a bit better but still a very tight spot right at the top of the calf. Rolling helped earlier so will give it more of that later. Been watching a lot of the Wing for Life race online today, such a great idea
  • Options
    Good session SP, really showing the strength you have. I'm sure it will translate to a good season opener for you mate! How's the calf after rolling?

SE, I wouldn't worry too much about how the champs turns out - it doesn't sound like it was ever a goal race, and the time off will help you absorb all of the training you've done recently, as well as give the knee/calf time to sort itself.

Three consecutive days turbo-ing for me, covering 50mi in total. In the short session yesterday I put in 2 x 2mi low cadence, high power -  I think things like that will help to build strength and will aid the running.
    Went for a run today, and plan was to play it by ear. Pleased to say no problems at all when out, and managed a good 45mins, however the extended time off has taken its toll on pace - will take some time to get back to where I was!
    I'm planning on doing sessions within the next fortnight, which will help with the paces, but also hopefully keep the legs strong and avoid any weak spots developing.
  • Options
    Starting to get a bit worried by the calf actually, assumed it was just tightness but now thinking it might be soemthing worse. Although oddly it seemed to get better throughout the run yesterday. Going to see how it is on the run tonight and will have a chat with coach about it

I wouldn't worry about the pace for now Matt, just good to hear there was no pain and the pace will come back once you can build in the consistency again
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that mate - if it feels as though it gets better throughout the run, at least you know it's likely muscle related (rather than tendon), and unlikely to represent a strain/tear.
    Fingers crossed for the run, and hope the coach can offer some insight!

I always tell myself not to worry about pace (and guilty of telling everyone else, too) - but it's always hard not to when you see the drop-off!

Thinking of entering Netley 10k and Lordshill 10k - track 10,000m likely off the cards due to the work I have on at the uni, as it's a wednesday evening.
    Means it will be 3 races in 5 weeks, but with a 2-week and 3-week gap, but then I'll be sharpened for a good attempt come the end with all being well.
  • Options
    Never mind, Netley entries closed last night. Balls.
  • Options
    Hey all! 
    Busy busy

Scott - Sorry about your leg :(. Steve has said he's telling to you not to do session tomorrow. No better for me and bit the bullet and paid Steve to look at me late tonight. Could be a long process, bursitis / tendiopathy around the knee / hamstring affecting the inserts is causing the problems, I have zero strength which needs work straight away. I will be trying to run but if it flares or doesnt get better as time goes on the running will reduce and strength work / rest will go up. i'll be limited to what I can do now too anyway. Not all bad just hope I can reach potential 

Matt - Lordshill is filling fast! Defo a race to do! 3 weeks in 5 weeks is fine!!!

Back in Southampton (for now) to start officially today, was an ok 1st day but allready re learning as routines and process were or are different centre to centre which is quite funny, almost seems like the training was a waste :) Came away on time and walked through WestQuay to try get my phone sorted. Contract is due and it keeps dying every 5 minutes but Apple wont sort it for less than 60 quid and I wont get an updated contract (Yet) as my Driving licence is out of date apparently. Oops

Will be at the session tomorrow, 1 mile then 6 x 600s in for a beasting.

• Options
    If you want to enter Lordshill I wouldn't leave it too long Matt, as not many entries and filling fast last I read

Yes certainly hoping it's nothing serious. Have been doing lots of rolling, icing etc and does seem a little better but may require a trip to the physio to see if it is a really tight spot causing it all or something worse.....annoying!

Atleast you've got alot of stength stuff to work on Scott and with consistency those should help. Despite the niggles last night you still ran well in that session
  • Options
    Cheers Scott, something clearly not right with both of us but confident we can quickly find the cause and start getting healthy. Been doing some good hamstring strength work, before (you pay) and Steve asseses you have a look on YouTube and self testing different parts of the leg, hips, abduction etc and if you find anything start working on it. No disrespect to Steve but I could have saved myself money and time 

Ran well as you said

1600 (3:00) then 6 x 600s (90s) 

New something wasn't right with my abs / belly as I jogged over from the common to warm up, literally got there and here we're queued up on the line ready so two strides and off we went. I felt amazing and strong despite the pain right away, opening fast and through 800 in 2:17. 1 km in under 2:55. I would have ran faster than 4:20 for a 1500 I reckon!!! 

Anyway I slowed off a touch and came into 4:43 feeling good, jogged round and started the 600, 1st two at 1:44 / 1:45 before a searing pain made me consider quitting, did one rep to see how it felt and was holding me back, didn't want to quit so tried again and same story, felt horrible clutching my belly, then I've only got 2 reps to go I say so fuck it. I finish but slowed on last one and that was me done. Very painful and was tender walking. 

They then did 4 x 150 but I skipped it, barely made the warm down (9 min mile pace) 

Today woke up and still fell hurting sharp pains across my belly and stuff, maybe tore an ab? Is that even possible? 

No run today but did my hamstring work