Options

Greater Manchester Marathon - UK's Flattest Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Just seen animal magic post!!! Thank you!! image

• Options

Well done to everyone finishers, PBers, first timers et al

Tishtosh I hope you're feeling OK today. I think the problem with the water is you can't have a trial run using it and I only managed this year having learnt how to use them last year in the race

My race was a repeat of last year, left the 4 hour pacer at the first drinks stop and ran too fast, coming through halfway not far off my HM times. Ran out of steam around 19 miles and ended up with a mixture of walking and jogging round to Stretford (got talking to a few people in the same boat on the way round).

The 4:15 pacer then came past and I tagged on to the back of her group to get going again and managed to run the last 1.5 miles without breaks to come home in 4:14

Was a bit annoyed at first given the extra training this time around but then with hindsight perhaps I'm not destined to break 4 hours, I enjoyed the race to the point where I took my headphones off and listened to the crowd/support and I've still set a PB for Marathon and Half in the last month

If I do another one I'll perhaps be looking for someone to run it with who can keep me at a slower pace early on

I'm not sure that even if I'd followed the 4 hour guys I'd have had that much more left in the tank

I believe the pogo guy finished around 1.30am this morning

• Options

Well done Bev and to everyone else.

Well that was tough. Staggered home in 4:50, my first ever marathon. Thought I might manage around 4:30 but was tougher than I thought. Just pleased to finish it. My legs were in agony for the last few miles and could barely keep going.

Wasn't keen on the water pouches was desperate for some big gulps of water, should have taken some cash and stopped at the corner shop.

Apart from that thought it was great. Very friendly vocal support. The name on your number thing definitely works.

I admire anyone who does marathons on a regular basis!!!

• Options

Hi, I ran the Manchester Marathon as part of a relay (2 of us) and for my second ever experience have to admit that I was let down with the poor signange and also the relay change over points. I was incorrectly ushered to come in for the changeover around mile 11, then once I questioned this, was told this is incorrect and so I re-joined the pack. I had covered at least 14miles and still no sign of the Relay changover point and so I just lost it and stopped the watch and recorded my own time.

Very annoyed with this relay event - will never do one again. Other work colleagues who also ran experienced similar issues, with one colleague coming in at 11 miles, leaving his partner to run 15..!!!

The course was flat, but very boring and lots of looping on roads already covered.

I would not recommend this event to anyone.

• Options

Haha the pogo guy.  I saw him on washway road in Sale on my way back from my Sunday roast in Hale.  This was around 6pm and would have been around the 17 mile point.  Poor sod, its probably a world record as nobody is mad enough to have tried it before!

RRR - Well done on the PB!

I forgot to mention i ended up getting the tram up with the Marathon Talk guys.  I never spoke to them (too shy) but it was funny listening in.  They ran 2:53 and 2:57 which is mightily impressive.  It was weird having the two guys that have got me through a winter of long runs sitting next to me.  i wish i had said thanks at least image

• Options

SB - back for more?  I'm not sure.  Certainly no more this year.  Will plan on getting a few more half marathons under my belt and some nice speedy 10ks this summer then will see what next year brings.  I'd love to do another, but that pain wont go out of my mind that soon i don't think image  I just think 12 months running isn't enough to get a decent enough endurance base to avoid the wall. 

John

• Options
    bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Thanks SB...I felt good but worrying my chip failed now I can't see my result on runbritain when slower people are showing in rankings. My number covered at beginning by my bin bag but that doesnt disqualfy does it???

• Options

John your race sounds pretty identical to mine - and you came in 30 seconds before I did. I was slightly ahead of the 3.30 guy for quite a few miles but he overtook me at 18 and I gradually lost him. This was my fourth marathon and I still walled it totally at 21. Don't know if I should have gone out quicker or slower or what, or if it was just inevitable. Now the relief/elation of finishing is over this is the stage of thinking I could have done a bit better and considering another marathon later in the year. At 22 miles yesterday I was swearing never again...

• Options
    Sam_Turner wrote (see)

At 22 miles yesterday I was swearing never again...

Sam - I was the same.  i couldn't work out if it was just because it was first and i was being soft, or the last 5 miles were like this all the time.  The pain was just unbearable.

• Options

No Bev, the timing mats will still detect your chip underneath a bin bag, as the results on racetec prove.  Well done!!

Some great runs and PBs from lots of runners.  A special mention for runners from my club, Wirral A.C. with 2 in the top 10 male 40 category and another who lowered his PB from 3:21 to an incredible 2:55.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Anyone know how the beer bottle guy did?

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Magic that's a great effort 3:32 amazing pal.  hopefully next year, with a good year of training and maybe coaching, behind me I can come near that. 

Robin,  do it again next year - you have the pace to do it you just need to be disciplined both during the race and perhaps the LSRs too. you definitely can do it pal.

• Options

Another massive well done to everyone. So many fantastic efforts and results posted. I feel so sorry for those people on empty at the side of the road, unfortunately there seemed to be quite a few people dropping out this year.

I must admit I wasn't really looking, but there didn't seem to be much signage or the like for the relays?

Oh and the mile markers again.... where the hell were they! - fortunately I tagged behind the 3:15 until the half which kept me in check and having to worry about pacing.   

• Options
    Pete Holt wrote (see)

Robin,  do it again next year - you have the pace to do it you just need to be disciplined both during the race and perhaps the LSRs too. you definitely can do it pal.

Cheers Pete, I think you're probably right I just need to be able to keep going for the final 5-6 as even a bit more of a jog would have got me close to 4 and like you say, I probably ran my LSRs a little too quickly and certainly need more discipline in the early stages of the race itself

Crowds perhaps a little down on last year but concentrated in certain parts and I think actually better in Flixton/Urmston than last time

It is reassuring to read the likes of Sam's comment and see that I'm not the only one who ran out of steam regardless of how different our times, abilities and speeds are

I think I'm with AM with plans for the rest of the year, a couple of months of light running (for pleasure) given I've been training for races pretty much since October last year and then look to run a couple of HM in the autumn

I promised Mrs RRR that this would be my last marathon but she turned to me on the tram on the way back from OT and said "So when do you start training for next year?" with that look that said, you know you're going to image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Some great stories coming through everyone. I know not everyone will have achieved what they wanted but it's still a great achievement finishing a marathon. 

Personally, I thought the crowds were amazing. Particularly as we were going into Sale (I think it was) at around the 10 mile mark. A gentle climb up to the bend and it was packed with supporters there and they were really shouting and encouraging everyone. I got quite emotional at that stage but certainly appreciated the support.

I remember seeing the first two relay change over points but did notice a lack of marshals. Hopefully this is something they can put right next year.

I thought the number of water stations was excellent. As the race progressed and it warmed up a bit I certainly needed 2 pouches, one to squirt over my head and the other to drink.

That last approach to OT was great too. The crowds there were superb and when you turned the corner and bang ! The finish line was in front of you and it felt like there were thousands of supporters cheering us on. Brilliant.

My personal view of the race was that it was well organized and brilliantly supported. If you want a fast race this is definitely the one for you.

• Options

Well done all.

Bad day for me. Kind of lost my mojo early March and have been just going through the motions since then. Went after sub 5 but made the school boy mistake of heading out too fast, got to half way in 1:27:30 and blew up around mile 17-18. Walked/ jogged to the finish in 3:28. 

Disappointing but have learnt the lesson that 5 months hard training is too much for my old legs. back to the 4 month schedule that has served me well in the past.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

SB - What a great day.  So well done to all the great efforts above.  I'm going to pick on Carter's in particular because I know what a torrid time he had last year, missing out on being able to run.  First of all, congratulations on finishing your first marathon sir.  Secondly - what a brilliant time.  I know that exceeded your expectations by some degree so a massive hats off to you, that's really some going.  I hope you had as good a day as you should have done and the same to everyone on the thread.

All that said, where were you at the statue?

SB - I left the hotel in Altrincham at 7:30 thinking I would have plenty of time to get to the statue for 8:00. It didn't turn out like that and I didn't get there until 8:20. There were loads of people there but I needed to check my bag in so didn't hang around too long to look for you guys. I need to give myself more time next time.

Cheers mate. I surpassed any expectations I had. It was a long time coming but definitely worth the wait. I felt pretty strong throughout to be honest, legs felt a bit heavy at 16 but ran through that. Then again at 24 but I just put the hammer down then and went for it. Only one bit of knee pain at 18 but that soon disappeared. I don't think things could have gone any better to be honest. Plenty of shuffling last night but also plenty of beers to help numb the pain and celebrate ! I'm off work today so not doing much at all. Still really stiff but managing ti get up and down the stairs. I need to start thinking about a training plan for that 3:30 now image

As for you, what a great race. You smashed your time and also got a GVA time for London. All that hard work and that P&D plan you followed has done the trick. In that stretch around Timperley, the 3 hour pacer passed us on the other side of the road and I kept an eye out for you but didn't spot you. How are you feeling today ?

• Options
    carterusm wrote (see)

Personally, I thought the crowds were amazing. Particularly as we were going into Sale (I think it was) at around the 10 mile mark. A gentle climb up to the bend and it was packed with supporters there and they were really shouting and encouraging everyone. I got quite emotional at that stage but certainly appreciated the support.

It threw me as last year Marsland Road was really busy and this year it was quiet but that's where they all were, on the corner of Marsland Road and Brooklands Road and they'd put the crash barriers out there and a couple of other places to funnel the runners right through the cheers image

Going back to signage, I think there are problems with signs going missing so they are put out late or missed altogether. I didn't see the halfway point clock this time either. I believe there were car park issues with the signs being stolen and used to set up "rogue" car parks to scam people for more money

• Options
    Hi everyone. So I ended up deciding to aim for 2:50. I came away with a 2:53.05. I lost some time in the last five miles and in the last three had left calf cramping. I am pleased though with how it went for my first sub 3 attempt.
  • Options

Don't know if there were fewer people in total but my partner said she found it easier for her and the kids to park up and find a good spot at 15 miles. That's when she shouted 'go on, you're on for under 3.30!' and I did a celebration leap and punched the air. Pride comes before a fall...

• Options

Rob, good effort. I had a feeling you'd ignore me and just go for it! It either pays off or it doesn't.

I think 98% of people loose time in the last 5-6 miles. I dropped 2.19 in the second half.

I also struggled opening the drinks but didn't really want to have much anyway.

Mile markers were rubbish, hardly saw any and they could have been doing with being bright yellow or orange. And where was the blo**dy clock at 20 miles, just a mat!

Good event though. The only odd part was at halfway, running behind the shops in Alty around some bins.

• Options

Good to read about people's experiences of the race, although obviously not those who had a tough time.  Was my first time marshalling one of the drinks stations, we were at the 22.5 mile mark so hope we did you a good service.  I know what you mean with the iconiq water.  There was certainly a knack to them.  I actually think they are a really good idea, in terms of litter, less of a trip hazard etc.  However unless it's obvious, they can be tricky to get water from, which is kind of a key elementimage

I started to give each one a squeeze which seemed to then make them better for the runners but could see lots struggling and it was a shame.  It's tough enough at 22 miles without trying to work out how to get water.  Have to say the vast majority of the runners were fantastic in terms of response, attitude etc.  I've been on the other side, and will be again in London in less than a week.  It's great to get the support, but also I fully understand sometimes you're so out of it you are just zoned out so was just good for me to experience things from that side and hopefully give encouragement.

Anyway hope the vast majority left with a good impression and enjoyed their days, sounds like some cracking PB's were had so well done all.

• Options

Rob - That's absolutely stunning, you knocked it out of the park and then some.  Sub 2.45 next then?  Well played.

Carter - I assumed that was the case, sorry not to have met you.  I followed my own pace, which was 7 minute miles.  It gave me just enough of a buffer if it all went wrong in the last 5.  You're spot on, unless they decide to shift the criteria again, it looks like i've got my London place.  I'm overjoyed about that but it will be a shame not to be doing Manchester next year.   I'm sure i'll be back again one day though.

That does lead me on to another thought though.  Christian - the support from the volunteers was just as good as it was from the crowd, you guys were brilliant.  If I get my London place, i'd definitely be interested in volunteering to help out in Manchester next year and give a bit back.  How did you go about it?  Well done on your efforts mate and all the best for the VLM image

• Options

Oh and Carter, feeling mainly sore!!!  Like you, I took the day off and have spent it lazing around, eating, dozing off and hobbling about the shop.  Very sore legs and they'll probably be that way until Wednesday.  Masochists, the lot of us!

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

chistian a personal thank you for helping out, it is very much appreciated. it is people like you who made the whole day so enjoyable.  image 

• Options

congratulations Manchester.  brilliant marshals and locals!  couldn't get the knack of those water pouches though!  fantastic all-round event...would love to do next year!

• Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Christian - thank you i thought all the marshalls were excellent

Bev - well done great result

Tish - hugs hope your ok

Everyone - well done no matter if you pb'd or not you are all stars

Water pouches - some of mine worked some didn't.  Some young lads just after 1 station had the knack stamping on them and covering themselves and anyone going by image

I think i went off too fast i was just behind the 5 hr pacer for about the first 5 miles but by mile 7 i had an ache all the way up the back of my right leg (old calf injury) plodded on but not comfortable.  Highlight just before (12 miles?) halfway a choir belting out Queens Don't stop Me Now a whole row of kids to high 5 and the little lad at the end dropped to his knees and air guitared me by. Felt sick out in Carrington and had to use a portaloo and struggled to run after that.  For the last 3 miles everytime i tried to run i was doubled up in agony with a stitch (i never get stitches) i was gutted. Staggered over the line in 5hrs 21 and a bit which yesterday was a disaster but today i'm happy cos i did itimage

Definately one i'd contemplate doing again

• Options

3:00:58 here... some way off my PB but exceeding expectations as when I started training I was closer to 3:30 shape than sub-3!  A tad irritating not to get sub-3 but ran out of fuel after about 22 miles and really slowed... not surprising given poor eating in the run up to the event but not too worried as I know I didn't prepare properly so really actually quite pleased to feel physically OK otherwise.

Clearly I'm in the minority as I much preferred the water pouches to the usual cups... not that I'd profess to be an expert in opening them and did manage to near-choke myself a couple of times!

Only criticism I'd have is the lack of mile markers... barely noticed them, and if there had been a 25.5 marker and 400m-from-home marker I would probably have seen them in time to find 59 seconds from somewhere!

Probably be back next year!