Options

Greater Manchester Marathon - UK's Flattest Marathon 2014

1596061626365»

Comments

• Options

Thank you guys!

• Options

38 second PB at Parkrun this morning image   Marathon training has done me good

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

well done magic. image

what time did you get mate?

I am doing the Manchester 10k in a fortnight and hoping to smash my 10k pb.

• Options

21:34 image

Got Chester half in 2 weeks and will be looking for under 1:40, hopefully a slither under 1:39 if i have a good one

Good luck in Manchester.  One tip if you havent done it before, get into the pen early (like 30-45 mins before the start!) as the grouping is horrendous and you can easily lose 1-2 minutes at the start weaving round groups of couch to 5kers running in the sub 40 wave imageimage.  Dont be disappointed if you don't get a PB, there are far easier courses out there to get one.  Have a look at the we love MCR one in June/July at the shitty stadium, thats a quick one.

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

cheers magic think I will have some of that we love mcr..

Me and a pal have entered Lymn trail races 10k in early July too so hopefully should beat my PB at some point this summer. image

• Options

Yeah i've looked at that Lymn one.  I did the Lymn 10k last April which starts and finishes at the high school and i really enjoyed it.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Morning all.

I hope everyone has fully recovered from Manchester and is back out there running.

I've been building up slowly and did 30 miles last week. This included a 15 mile hilly (2200ft of elevation) run in the Peak District as part of my training for the Ultra tour of the Peak District in June which is a 50km. I've also entered the Long Tour of Bradwell in August, also 50km, with 7000ft of elevation so plenty of hill work between now and then. I've also booked in for Chester in October.

What are everyone else's plans for the summer ?

• Options

Carter if you want a nice hilly run there is Eyam half next weekend?  image Sorry probably said this before it’s lovely just not very flat.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Cake - am definitely thinking about it as the race tee shirts seem to be very impressive. Egyptian Toe had one on when we went out for a beer last week and I thought to myself that I need to get one

• Options

Hi,

The plan for me is, the White Peak Marathon next Saturday, some local East Yorkshire shorter races up to 7 miles, Humber Bridge half end of June, GNR September, then Snowdon marathon in October, a proper training plan from July. There may be others in the gaps.

Good luck Carter with the 50k's especially Bradwell in August. Chester is a great race and place to visit I've done it twice, enjoy.

• Options

The race T from Eyam is always the same design just a different colour each year. Go on you know you want to.

Skd Enjoy White peak and good luck for Saturday. image

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)

Morning all.

I hope everyone has fully recovered from Manchester and is back out there running.

I've been building up slowly and did 30 miles last week. This included a 15 mile hilly (2200ft of elevation) run in the Peak District as part of my training for the Ultra tour of the Peak District in June which is a 50km. I've also entered the Long Tour of Bradwell in August, also 50km, with 7000ft of elevation so plenty of hill work between now and then. I've also booked in for Chester in October.

What are everyone else's plans for the summer ?

Hi Carter,

I am planning a summer of speed image

The build up to Manchester mainly involved long runs as I had been injured and really wanted my main focus on my slow twitch fibres.  So a week on Sunday I will be running the Manchester 10k, then I will either be doing the Wigan trails 10k or the alternative Manchester 10k.  Following the Manchester 10k I am utilising a running coach in preparation initially for the lymn 10k then for the Dublin marathon I october.

image  Is anybody looking to do Manchester next year?  I am undecided, I think I want to travel, so may do Paris.

• Options

Pete -please don't do the alternative Manc 10k, it's run by legacy events and its horrific. Just check the comments on their own website!! (Unless they have removed them). Last years course measured 8.8k. Complete farce. Looking at other events they host Stockport and Leigh had similar issues.

Re:Manchester next year I'm also undecided. Half of me wants to but I'd also like to do Barcelona or Paris.  

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Cheers for the heads up Magic. 

I'll let you know what I decide to do next spring, particularly if I decide to travel abroad, as we could travel/stay in the same hotel if you like.

If I do travel I am flexible with the destination. 

• Options

Good luck this weekend guys and hopefully see you at Eyam Carter. image

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

woo hoo - managed to gain a PB: 46:20 although it was never really in doubt tbh because my previous 10k best quite slow as I never time trial/or race 10ks normally.  based on my 22:36 5k four weeks ago I am quite happy with this.

In summary I would not care if I never run a 10k again, I hated every minute of it and found it MUCH together than the marathon.  To go quicker I would need to man up a bit more and deal with the "fire in those lungs" better  image image

Onwards to the Lymn 10k trails in july - image

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Pete - well done on your PB.

Eyam half yesterday for me. Didn't manage to bump into Cake as he had travel issues and arrived a bit late. If you fancy a lovely local, hill half marathon with stunning views then I would definitely recommend this one. The heat made it a real tough race and I doubt there was any PBs yesterday. I was using this as a training run for my 50km next month so came in at 1:56 which was just what I wanted. Also got the tee shirt I've been after for ages which is a warning triangle with a rat (Eyam is the plague village).

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather

• Options

imageimage Was well late in true chuckle brother's style, and set off to chase everyone else. As always it was a brilliant race just very hard. Some of the hills on the course would be classed as mountains if they were just a 100 to 200 feet or so bigger. If anyone fancy's a interesting half next year can't reconmend it highly enough.

• Options

Hi all, looking through the threads for a Manchester marathon one and came across this. Would anyone have any early idea when the 2015 will be? With London on the 26th and brighton on the 12th I would imagine it would be the 5th or 19th? Also I see the coarse started at old Trafford this year, do you think it would be the same next year. 

I've done London marathon in 2013 and I'm in the ballot for next year but already decided I'll defer if lucky to get a place and fancy trying Manchester but really hoping it's on the 5th of April.

Any info/thoughts on Manchester I would love to hear.thanks

• Options

Big I'm assuming they won't set a date until the fixture list for the football next year is sorted out. Even if they don't use Old trafford next year it will have a big inpact so I'd look it up once the league fixtures are out in August.

• Options

Thanks cake. I see the FA cup semi finals are scheduled for the weekend of 18/19th April 2015 which would usually take place at Wembley so that could be a possible weekend for Manchester marathon. The 5th is Easter Sunday, really hope they run it then as off work on Easter Monday!!

• Options

Hi just popped in to tell you about the White Peak, thanks to Matlock AC, the rugby club and volunteers. What a good day out until the 20 mile cliff edge of course. A pretty warm day, fantastic scenery only 180 ish finishers, good value with a mug/goody bag and coach ride to the start. The first half gently uphill, some great views oft hills, pretty flattish for quite a way, my legs started to seize up after the 19.5 mile water station but there's two long fairly steep downhill bits, what a wheeze, then it was like a scene out of a zombie, day of the living dead movie walking/shuffling along the canal even the 0.2 miles seemed hard but finished in 4.31 then a good feeling, I'd done it. Three days later I'd like to do it again well recommended a hidden gem. There seemed a good mix of marathoners from virgins to old hands, a good start for anyone tired of the flat tarmac.