Options

Newbie Runner

Comments

• Options

Thanks booktrunk, have taken your advise and had a shock absorber sports bra delivered today!

No run tonight - feel terrible, dodgy stomach since yesterday...lots of sick and not eaten anything since yesterday lunchtime so no energy at all ;-(

feeling better ish but still cant stomach any food so I am just going to go home.  Depending upon if i manage to eat anything / hold it down i might try a gentle run tomorrow on the treadmill but dont want to over exert myself as I want to be well for sunday.  The longest distance i have done properly - 7km (did do a bit longer on boxing day but at no real spped) so want to have enough energy to give it my best go.  

hope all are well in runners world land!!

• Options

Ah Watto I hope you feel better soon!

I've been resting all week and finally my legs feel back to normal. Today is supposed to be 11 miles so I'm going out a bit later and hoping for the best!

• Options

Good luck Nicola. 

4m recovery run today for me, which I'm actually going to skip, keeping the oh and dog happy so going on a 10m hike in the Derbyshire dales with them instead, I reckon that should be as good as the run.

Watto ohhh fingers crossed you feel good soon, and are back running, and hope your bra worksimage

• Options

Thanks BT, I made it to 11 miles in 2:19, it says 12:43/mile on the watch and I assume that's moving time, not total time as I stopped for about 1 minute of stretching at 0.5 miles, popped into my friends house to use her toilet (drank too much before I went out!) and also walked up 2 of the hills as I just wasn't feeling great. glad I finished though as next week is 12 and then 14, 16, 16, 18, 18, 20 image So I need to keep on schedule if possible. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

• Options

5k this morning, ok just on the treadmill but it's only the second time I've done it without stopping or walking at all.  And my time was (marginally!) quicker than the first.  So I'm pleased!

Hope you're feeling better watto, there's nothing worse than running when you're ill.

Great distances as usual Nicola, hope I can get somewhere near that someday!

Booktrunk, Andi, well you just talk about fancy running things I don't understand. image

• Options
    Hi all, well done fraggle and Nicola.

Managed my 7km this morning and shockingly I did it at my fastest pace yet...7.49min/km. I'm normally aroundd the 8.20 region in a morning and the 8.49 region when I run of an evening! Did feel quicker this morning and was very pleased when I finished and saw my time. Left garmin at work again so don't have split breakdowns but I know I got slower...the last km was done running straight against a strong wind and howling rain ....really not fun.

The hill that I did on Wednesday was fine today...almost enjoyable!

The worst bit was between 4-6km which was just one long straight road, nice and flat so thought I would enjoy it but the boredom got me and I sort of felt like I hit this wall that people talk about (although am sure it's meant to be like 20miles im!!!) just felt like I couldn't do it even though I wasn't in pain or really that tired. Think I need to stick to shorter roads and just more of them so I don't have time to think like this...rather thinking about which way I am turning next!

All in all a good run and looking forward to Wednesdays 6km and seeing my times improve further!
  • Options

Fantastic especially considering the conditions. 

• Options

Well done Watto and Fraggle!

Watto, for some reason in the long runs I start slower than I finish, I think because I try to conserve energy at the beginning as I'm worried I won't be able to finish. Yesterday my first mile was 13:17 and my last was 11:48!

• Options

Ladies, as always it's a pleasure to pop in here and read of all your progress image

I seem to have hit one of those WTF weeks (maybe months) and things seem to have come together and am sure you are all following that same road so keep up the good work image

It wasn't that long ago (last May I think) when I couldn't run 2 miles without stopping for a walk break and now (albeit on the treadmill) I've managed just over 3 hours continuous running. Ignore pace right now and keep concentrating on time on feet and the pace will increase naturally image

• Options

Wow Andi, 3 hours on the treadmill takes some dedication!!

• Options

I echo nicola - 3 hours really does take some dedication! 

Well done Nicola, i try to aim to get quicker throughout the run, but think the first few times I do a new distance i start faster and flag, then once I am a bit happier with the distance I will concentrate on trying to achieve negative splits!

Felt a bit achy today which I haven't had in a while so am going to do a gentle swim later to loosen up. 

Training plan dictates 3 lots of 6kms this week, so far that is planned for Wednesday, Friday and Sunday but as the Friday one will have to be an early morning pre work run as I am out Friday night, i might just do it on Thursday instead...although not sure that is going to give my legs enough time to recover?!

• Options

Might chuck in a run on saturday either as well or instead of the Friday morning run.  Am tempted to do my first Park Run.  running a bit quicker on sunday hasgiven me the urge to see what my time would be on a 5km.  My fasted 5km run was around 42mins i think, no i went quicker than that on sunday but didnt clock time.  

Can I ask - do you have a chip in your shoe or how do they tell what your time is?  Just registered but am a bit nervous...will try to build up the courage to go throughout the week!!

• Options

You all start with the 'gun' time and when you finish a counter clicks over so you are finisher number xxx and you get given a small barcode with your finisher number just given out in order to everyone at the finish line.

So you take your personal barcode that you will ahve printed out from their website, and you will give them back the barcode with your position, and your personal barcode, they pair them up, then later in the day they pair that up with the finishing times, so their stats say finisher 123 finished in 40:40 and they will then marry that up with the second sheet which will have finisher 123 is WattoRunners barcode.

So it's all low tech, and they sometimes have the odd hiccup where they miss giving someone the correct barcode image

So to cut through all that waffle.....

It's very, very simple image you just print your barcode (which you get from the parkrun website, and it's your number for life), keep hold of it, and when you cross the line you get the finisher number and then go to the desk give them back the finisher number, which they scan and your barcode which they scan and give back to you.

• Options

Fab thanks booktrunk!

• Options

hi all, had PT session last night and he uncovered some problems with my knees.  Basically it hurts to do lunges and my knees make a horrible grinding sound when bending.  He has another client who is also overweight, started road running and had these problems...she didnt go to the dr's for some time and as a result her knees gave way a couple of times and she is now not allowed to run for a 10 weeks whilst she builds the strength in them back up. 

As a result I am going to book in to the DR's to get it checked out, they don't hurt when I am running but this might be because I am not as far along as what she was.  I am going to continue to run this week but not go as far as what I had planned.  

Also my trainer showed me how to use a foam roller last night because my leg muscles are all ridiculously tight.  I thought I did enough stretching afterwards but clearly not.  The foam roller hurt like hell, have bought one off Amazon and a book of the correct way to do them so I can do them at home.  

All in all, not a fun PT session but well worth it if I have caught a few potential problems early. 

• Options

run last night, realised my knees do hurt when I run but I must have just blocked the pain out previously.  Did 5km in just under 43mins.  Going to book dr's appointment asap to sort out knee problem.  Iced when I got in and did a load of stretches.

Not sure weather to do the parkrun this saturday as planned or just leave running until seen a dr.  

Not a happy bunny at the moment image  

• Options

I think we quite often have little aches and pains that come and go.  I know that leg lunges kill my knees, i've pretty much decided the easy answer is that if leg lunges bugger up my knees, or highlight a knee issue I don't want to know, so I don't do leg lunges :0

Maybe a bit stupid but a few weeks after stopping them because I was having sore and achy knees, i'm running further than ever before with no issues .... touch wood, at the moment.

• Options

feeling a bit more upbeat today - looking online and it looks like i have all the symptoms of runners knee.  

Going to be a bit stupid and run my parkrun tomorrow, its not really that painful yet and I want to go!! Cant be bothered to try and talk up an excuse to do it anymore than that - I just want to!!

I am going to go over to sweatshop afterwards though and get some knee supports and book the dr's appointment once my registration goes through (had to move dr's but didnt bother until I needed to make an appt!). 

Foam roller came yesterday so did a bit on that last night.  Also a Groupon offer today was a £12 sports massage so have treated myself aswell.  Hoping for a sub 40min 5k tomorrow, i know that is really slow for a lot of people but for me that would be a massive achievement!!  Would mean I need to do 5 km's under 8min's...usual pace is around 8.11min/km but last sunday I did average 7.49 per km.  

We shall see what tomorrow brings!

• Options

Good luck with the Parkrun Watto! I really want to do one but they don't fit in with my schedules at the moment. Glad you're feeling up to running too!

I've been so busy this week with uni work that I haven't been out for a run since my 11 miles on Saturday. After being in pain last week, this is the second week that I've only done the long run image which is better than no runs but still isn't good enough! Once this assignment is in on Monday I will have a lot more time and will be able to get back to my plan. Hope everyone else is doing well.

• Options

Go Wattorunner 

start right near the back, quite tight up in the middle on my local one, also don't go out to quickly it's all to easy to blast off and then you are utterly knackered after 500m and have to get around the next 4.5km plan to try to keep running no matter what your speed, it's a great psychological thing knowing you've ran it all image

Nicola: aargh it's a nightmare after your frat long run not being able to get out again.

ad my best ever month in training Milage 152.8m in January, legs feel amazing image

• Options

Wow that's amazing mileage BT! 

I'm attempting 12 miles tomorrow, but my friend can't make it as she's injured so it's my first long run on my own since 7 miles!

• Options

Good luck tomorrow Nicola. in fact good luck to both of you. I am reworking my plan,so I now have Saturdays and Mondays off long run Sunday,Mandy other runs Tuesday to Friday.

This way u have Saturday with oh so don't feel to guilty about being selfish the rest of the time running 

• Options
    Morning all, thank you for asvice book trunk...I started at the back..was very busy as it was the 1yr anniversary. Target was under 40mins and my garmin is showing 39mins exactly....let's hope the barcode timing is the same.

Did start off a bit quick but pulled myself back and slowed down a bit, averaged 7.47min per km. splits were 7.25 / 7.35 / 7.48 / 8.07 / 7.50. Ran the whole thing ...I scoffed when I read that in your post BT as I never stop to walk anymore...but the pressure of people watching and the fact I started off a bit quick meant I really did want to stop and walk for a bit even though I didn't really need to!

Was one of the last to finish but felt ok about that. Did feel a little peed off when some guy started trying to talk me into a beginners course where they run a bit walk a bit. I explained to him that I can run up to about 8/9km Without stopping...I am just not very quick!!

Knees felt ok ...that's a lie ...I just ignored the pain!!! Am getting drs appt this coming week!
  • Options
    Finally have a pic of myself running aswell!!! You can see from my face I didn't really want my pic taking...anywho am going to try to upload so I have a profile pic!
  • Options

Hope knees are ok!! Apart from that brilliant image 

• Options

Thanks booktrunk. Shorter run today 3.5km, decided to take it easy after yesterday's run. going to get dr appt tomorrow, hopefully he will say I'm ok to keep on running and can get back to training plan next week....didn't want to push too much this week.  Should of done three 6km runs but did two 5k's and one 3.5k....so all in all 4.5kms down. Might try to make they up this week as an additional run! 

• Options

Personally, I think never try to 'catch up' what's gone is gone.

if you ever feel like you are having an awesome week you can always add an extra run, but adding just to catch up from runs you couldn't do for various reasons in the past is a recipe for injuries. 

The past is the past in my opinion, just look forwards in your plan not behind. 

• Options

+1 for  BT's comment - don't try to catch up on lost miles.

And, what happened to the pic Watto?

• Options

Well done on the ParkRun Watto, great time too!

i don't have any positive news unfortunately image started feeling unwell on Friday night and spent the whole weekend and today feeling rough, so I didn't go out for my run on Saturday (first long run I've ever missed). It just feels like a bad cold but I've been sick a couple of times too and feeling pretty exhausted. I will go out again as soon as I feel up to it and hope that I haven't set myself back too much.

• Options

Your advice never fails me guys so i am going to take it and not try to catch up on the 4.5km I was short last week. 

Saw the Dr yesterday who says he doesn't think there are any major problems with my knees and it is just getting used to road running.  I wouldn't quite say he didn't take me seriously but it almost felt that way.  He thinks the pain i have had is to do with the Patella (not sure if that is spelt right) and my hips being sort of un-aligned??

He said nothing needs doing - maybe just not do so much distance (hardly doing a lot though at the moment). 

I have found some knee strengthening exercises on-line that i will discuss with my trainer tonight.  Am tempted to book a physio appointment but not sure if i am overreacting or not - just paranoid about it getting worse and having to stop running. 

Re the picture - went to put it up on Saturday but couldn't do it from iPhone, then realised I am unintentionally flicking a swear sign in the pic so might need to give it a miss!!  I do have a comparison pic I have taken showing the weightloss i have achieved so might put that one up instead but my head is not on it!!!  Will def have to get a decent picture sorted soon!

Nicola, I hope you feel bettter soon, think you are doing the right thing in holding off until you feel well enough.  A bad run might push you back further than a week off would do.