Options

Newbie Runner

Comments

• Options

I think i think too much!! Now am thinking of trying to get a quick gym session in tonight - just for on the treadmill, no great distance possibly just 3km, but at a much quicker pace to what i normally do. 

Perhaps starting at 7.5km (usual pace and = 8min km's), and then increase by 0.5 (30 seconds quicker) each half km. 

• Options

I'm not much help with pacing, I've never done a race image But there are good calculators online which will tell you what an estimated finishing time would be for you for different races based on your 5k race time etc, so maybe that's a good place to start? 

I'm going to try for a 10k tonight but I'm a bit pushed for time.

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

My preferred method of calculating predicted race times is to use Peter Riegel's formula...  I like it because of its simplicity and the fact that a time for any given distance can be predicted from the time of any other distance...  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Riegel for details...  Interesting if nothing else...  From a predicted finish time an average pace per km/mile can easily be calculated.

• Options

Hi all, so today is the first time (I think?) that I've ever cut a run short. Very short. And I'm so frustrated! I went out aiming for 18 or 20, but it was just too hot (it's about 18'c here) and I felt like I was in the sun the whole time with only a slight breeze. I got up to 9 miles and had to have a 10 minute sit down, and it all went downhill from there really. Got to the point I felt I couldn't run more than 2 mins without feeling light-headed so I gave up at 13.5 image. I made sure to keep hydrated yesterday, this morning and throughout the run so I don't think that was the issue.

My marathon is 3 weeks today, so question is: do I try again next Sat and have a 2 week taper? Do I take Wednesday off work (that's the only day I might be able to get off) and have a 2.5 week taper? Or do I forget it and hope that my 18 miler will get me through it? Any advice much appreciated! 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Nicola: don't worry about the best just treat it as a bad day, and remember to have a decent amount of water with you 

I only did 2km before I gave up today (knee) these things happen 

• Options

Hi Nicola, sorry to hear to you have a cr4ppy run, 13.5 is still a decent distance.  Personally I would do a wednesday run and then the 2.5 week taper.  I should make clear though I am not basing that on any sort of experience or actual knowledge...it just sounds like a sensible option to me!

BT is this the same problem with the knee that you have had before? 

Apologies, been missing in action for a few days, had a great run at the Gym on Wednesday, 6km at varying interval speeds and found as the mileage went on i really increased the time i could go for at the higher speeds.  Towards the end I held a pace of 9.5km's an hour (cant work out what that is in time per km!) for 4 min's whereas at the start of the session i could only do one. 

HOwever thursday morning i woke up feeling horrendus and since then have been laid up at home with the worst cold / flu type illness i have ever had.  Breathing has been a major issue.  Havent done any excersise since Wednnesday and am well anoyed as I felt like I was really getting back into the swing of things since having my time off for my knees. 

Am starting to feel better this afternoon so hoping to be well enough tomorrow to hit the gym after work.  If so I will just do a run and then a swim.  Will try to keep to Gym running for monday and wednesday (the cold really affected my breathing last week which I now figure must of been the onset of the cold) and then roads Friday / sunday when i will hopefully be back to full health. 

Getting a bit nervous now as time is ticking down to the 10k, I really want to be up to 8km 3 times a week (which i should have been doing for a few weeks now according to the training plan) within the next couple of weeks.  I then go on holiday for 2 weeks mid april, then back and its only another 3 weeks until the run.  

Plan is more speed sessions through the week and 10k each sunday until the race.  Know that i will be able to complete the distance but am concerned what my time would be.  I really want to get under 1hr 15 / 75mins, my sister wants us to do it in under 1hr 10 which i am really not confident with.  

am hoping when the 10k is done and i start on my Half Marathon training plan i will not be struck with injury / illness.  Was doing so well at sticking to it up until the knee issue.  

• Options

change of plan...seeing as I wasnt keeping up with the MyAsics plan, have started a new one based on the same target - 10k in may, but have put my ability as 5km in 38min which was my parkrun time a few weeks ago.  

Have noticed the plan is considerably different, much more pace work than just distance.  Like the look of it but might try to sneak in an extra run each week (4 instead of the 3 i selected) and then can do a longer slower run aswell as the shorter fast paced ones.  

Predicting time of 1.14 which would fit in perfectly with what my hopes are, but still 4 mins short of my sisters aim!!  Will see how i get on!!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Watto yeah, got a posh compression support and it feels lovely in it,  didn't realise how bad it was, think I really have to bite the bullet and stop using it as much as possible for two weeks 

• Options

Right, I've decided that I'm going to try my last long run again tomorrow. I don't want this 'failed' run haunting me until (and during!) the marathon. Plus my 18 mile run (my last proper long run) was on 2nd March, which is 5 weeks before the marathon, which just seems too long. I feel like I've missed so many runs now that I don't have all that much to taper down from anyway, so hopefully tomorrow will go ok and I will have only missed a few days of the taper. Fingers crossed!

Sorry to hear you've been unwell, Watto image Hoping you're feeling better now. Sounds like you've got a good plan for increasing your distance and getting ready for the 10k!

• Options

20 miles done! Felt like I had to take it pretty slow as I didnt feel that great, so it took me ages, 4:30ish (my Garmin battery died at 19.7 and haven't charged it yet) but I feel a lot better now knowing I can go that far. Took a few walk breaks, but I guess that's what happens when you run 20 miles 3 days after a half and aren't used to that kind of mileage! At least I feel I have something to taper from now.

Hope everyone else is doing ok!

• Options
    Well done Nicola, I'm off to the gym shortly to see what I can do...still full of cold so not overly hopeful! X
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Nicola: great running that is brilliant image  Watto good luck 

finally back running 5.1km for Me.

• Options

Well done Nicola! and the good news is they do get easier the more 20's you do image

How did the gym session go Watto? 

This will be my lowest weekly mileage this year (mixture of taper and bad back). Just 12 miles tomorrow then no more double digit runs until April 6th and the Lochaber Marathon.

• Options

Hi all, 2 midweek runs this week at the gym which were both around 4km at a varying pace....really struggled with breathing. 

Sunday i did 8km at a slow pace...still quite cold and im still quite coughy so decided to make it another treadmill run.  nice steady and very slow pace, first 5km at 8.34min / km's then rising to 8.05min / km's for km's 6 & 7, then increased to quicker pace for the last km. 

Felt good but afterwards I kinda wish i had just kept at the slower pace and gone on for 10kms. 

Not to worry - training plan only called for 8 so inline with that.  Saw my PT in the gym and he is going to do some interval training with me on Tuesday aswell.  Away this weekend so no running, so plan is to do Tuesday interval training, Wed and Friday faster runs. 

HOpe all are well xx

• Options

Hi all, interval training last night - so quick i thought i was going to pass out but improved towards the end of the session.  

Was running at 13.5 on the treadmill for 1 min and then having 1 min to recover.  13.5 equates to about 4min30sec km I think ....stupidly quick!

Going to do some more interval training tonight and then a longer decent run on Frdiay

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Eeek I doubt I could do that!! 

• Options

That's pretty fast Watto, good work image

I went out for a 10k yesterday but had to stop after 2 miles as i had a pain at the top of my front/inner thigh. it wasnt too bad but I dont think i was really in the mood for the run anyway, so I stopped and it still hurt when walking home. I iced it last night and this morning and it doesnt hurt when walking now but does hurt when I lift my leg with the knee bent, so climbing up the stairs etc. Any ideas other than icing would be much appreciated! I need to get to that start line... And the finish line!

• Options

Fingers crossed after all the icing it feels back to normal today. I will aim to get my 7 miles done tomorrow and cross my fingers that it's all ok!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Good luck nicola

• Options

Thanks BT! I was pushed for time so only did 10k in the end, started slow as I think I tried to start out too fast on Thursday and my muscles didn't like it. Tried to speed up as I went and ended up with a PB! 1:16:37, beating the old one by over a minute. Splits were 12:59, 13:22, 12:35, 12:27, 12:02, 11:08, nice to speed up towards the end and not feel like I'm going to burn out! Two 5ks for me this week, a 3 mile walk and this time next week I'll (hopefully) be sitting on Brighton Beach with a medal and a burger. Eek!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
  • Options

Well done Nicola! A progressive run is always a good mental (and physical) boost.

Enjoy the burger image I plan on eating anything I can lay my hands on then cause some damage to a bottle of single malt next Sunday so will raise my glass too you.

• Options

Thanks guys! Final request for some advice before Sunday... Heavy rain, 17mph winds and somewhere between 12 and 16 degrees, apparently will feel anywhere between 11 and 14. Any advice on what to wear??!! I've managed to avoid doing a long run in the rain (other than occasional drizzle)

Most of my long runs have been in a drifit t shirt and long running tights, and the last few warmer runs were in capris. In heavy rain should I be wearing a lightweight/breathable jacket too?! and tights or capris?? I don't want to make the wrong choice and regret it for over 5 hours!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Don't wear to much I'd still go with shorts or short above knee leggings. 

Arms, t-shirt possibly with arm warmer at most seriously extra weight in clothes is pointless and by halfway you will be sweating like a pig.

i can guarantee at the end you will wish you had worn as little clothing as possible image 

i cannot stress to much for a marathon I really think any sort of coat if it isn't sub zero isn't a good idea. 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

If you have someone with you the ensure they have a jumper and long legs for you to change into post race to warm up, or put them in a drop bag, carry as little as possible in the race 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

In October I ran a marathon temp was about 8 degrees,  it pissed down with rain for first half, I was running through floods, in shorts n a t-shirt. 

By the end I was still pouring cups of water over my head to cool down. 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Any more then this is to much image http://www.runner-photos.co.uk/rpSelection.asp?ImgId=LMA13_6679.JPG&TNumber=4552 IMHO image

Edit: yes short hair is great, but when soaking wet it looks awful 

• Options

Nicola the weather sounds like mine, 16mph winds and 1 cm of rain here. Shorts and a t-shirt for me and maybe some gloves to start and a cap. 

• Options

Thanks guys! I was thinking a jacket was a silly idea (I've only every worn it for a cold, wet and windy 5k) I just wanted confirmation that I wouldn't turn up at the start line and everyone else would be wearing one! I'll stick to t shirt and capris then as that's the least I've trained in. 

Good luck Andi!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Good luck both of you image cannot wait to hear your race reports image ok read not hear.