Options

Newbie Runner

Comments

• Options

chat with trainer and another guy last night and going to take a week to two weeks off running.  In that time I am going to work on strengthening the muscles around the knees and non impact interval training to keep my fitness up.

Did a lot of foam roller work yesterday aswell....I was nearly crying my mussels are that knotted, got to keep that up aswell and hope that i should be as good as new in two weeks time.   

Might seem a bit over cautious but I can feel my knees getting worse so would rather take two weeks off now and get them strengthened than leave it till they get so bad i cant run and have to take longer off. 

Will hopefully be back in two weeks reporting of a great 1st run back! 

• Options

Good luck.  image

It's a bit difficult but you are making a brave choice to develop the muscles and hopefully come back and stay injury free. it's a great idea. I hope it works for you. I had an injury and had 3 weeks off in December and came back and it was still niggly, and ended up running it off.  It's a really hard decision... Set an alarm in your phone calender, or write it on a calender on x day I'm going to run again, before not running becomes a habit image

• Options

Thanks BT, still going to pop in on here and have planned other exercises for my normal running days so I don't get out of the habit of doing something and too used to going home from work and sitting on my bum!  I am planning my first run back on the 19th of Feb - please feel free to hound me if i am not on here reporting back!!

• Options

Gym last night and early morning spin class this morning, im itching to run image

• Options

awwwww image only a couple of weeks

• Options

Ah Watto, sounds like you've been having a bad time image but I'm sure you'll come back stronger when you've strengthened the muscles. It's super frustrating when you cant run. As of today I've had 2 weeks off due to shins/uni/being ill, but today is the day! I'm about to head out on my 12 mile route and see how I feel. It's a 6 mile loop I'm planning to do twice, but if I'm not feeling great I can stop at 10k. Unfortunately last night I celebrated my (belated) birthday with a few cocktails so perhaps a run is a bad idea but if I don't do it today that'll be another long run missed. Fingers crossed!

• Options

Feeling like a runner again image 12 miles in 2:42:16, so 13:31/mile, which is about a minute a mile slower than normal but this was my first long run since 7 miles that I didn't have my friend with me. Very tough run and icy rain/strong winds at times, and thought about turning back at 1,6 and 9 miles but I persevered and now I'm a happy (aching) bunny. Going to try out an ice bath and see If it helps! 

• Options

Well done Nicola, dying to run... Think I might sneak a little one on the treadmill next sunday. Knees feeling strong...hopefully another week should see them improve even more. It's good to know that u can still run after a couple of weeks off...I have a fear that I will be back to not being able to run more than half a km once I'm back in another week! Fingers crossed! 

• Options

Email received this morning to tell me I had got a place in the Great North Run!!  Had forgotten i had entered the ballot and only did because I was sure I would get knocked back!!

Over the moon as it is meant to be amazing atmosphere, slightly worried that it is about 5-6 weeks before another half - the Birmingham half.  

Got to try and find accomodation now, it makes me even more excited to get back to running next week.  Not sure if i'm scared or excited - i think a little of both!!

• Options
    That's amazing Watto, well done! It's definitely good to have events to work towards. 5-6 weeks seems like enough time for a rest, and bit more training and a taper? Obviously this is from the reading I've done nothing personal experience!image

My legs are really feeling it today image
  • Options

Yeah i really have far too many events booked though for a beginner!!!!

10K - May 2014

Great North Run - September 2014

10k - September 2014 (the week after the GNR)

Birmingham Half - October 2014

God - I really do need my knees to get better!

• Options

But with so many booked in, if you miss one it won't be the end of the world! plus you are taking things slowly and sensibly image So I reckon you'll be fine!

• Options
    Thanks Nicola I hope so!

I am so excited for the GNR can't wait to get back out on the road..or even the treadmill - I don't care right now I just wanna run!!!
  • Options

I'm still really aching after Sunday's run. Hoping I can at least go out again on Thurs. I think I'm going to keep upping my LSR in line with my plan but need to build up my other runs again. After 2 weeks of 0 miles it seems like top much to go straight back into it (this week should be 28 miles total). I hope that's the right thing to do!

• Options

So bored with not running...gym and spinning instead which is ok but not overly exciting. I have decided that on Saturday it will be 2 weeks since my last run so am going run then! Rather than going from the Tuesday I saw the dr / trainer.

only going to run on the treadmill so a softer cushioning and not do a massive distance!

cant wait!

nicola hope you are feeling better xx 

• Options

Good luck watto

• Options

As above and remember to take things easy Watto image You won't have lost much/any fitness but better to be safe than sorry.

• Options

How did it go, Watto?! Hope you had a good run! image

I managed to pull a muscle in my neck on Thursday morning and couldn't turn my head until today so no running for me again this week. Hoping that's my 3 bits of bad luck done with! Aiming for 14 miles tomorrow.

• Options

14 miles done in 3:05:54. Phew! Actually felt a bit easier than last week, probably because I have been eating and sleeping better.

hope everyone else had a good weekend run!

• Options

Brilliant, great run image

• Options

Well done Nicola, hope the neck is feeling better.

run yesterday .... Just a nice and shirt 3km on treadmill....soooo happy to be back running! I loved it, air drumming away to my music whilst I was running imageimageimageimage

knees felt good and strong. My plan for this week is yo gym most days but 

• Options

Hurrah Wattoimage 

29km just over 18m for me very slow, but considering it was through very muddy fields I was happy image

• Options

Oops posted too soon!

plan s to gym apart from wednesday and Sunday...do a 3km road run on Wednesday and then 5km on Sunday!

going to keep up the knee strengthening exercises and stretching And build back up to the 8km region my training plan currently requires of me! 

Love love loving running again!! 

• Options

Well done BT, I think regardless of time, that distance is amazing! 

• Options

Ah I'm so happy it went well for you, Watto! it's good to get back after a while away!

good work BT!

• Options

Glad your back Watto and take things easy image

Nicola, way to go with the 14 milers!

Booktrunk, your putting me to shame image

No run for me today as I spent most of it digging out culverts for the Otters to get across a road and was too tired when I got home image So, just 47 miles for the week!

• Options

Do any of your more experienced runners have any advice on trying to limit aching after long runs?! For the last 2 weeks I've done my run on Sunday and had really sore quads on Monday-Wed (I'm assuming they'll still be sore tomorrow!) it's just the normal ache after working the muscles hard, rather than injury, but it's stopping me from running for a few days and it's harder to get my 4 runs in. 

I try and have a good stretch after (but could probably stretch a bit more) and have tried icing and foam rolling. I've read that going for a walk later the day of the run may help and will try that next weekend. If anyone has any more advice I'd really appreciate it! image

• Options

Nicola, I may not be the right person to comment as I never stretch before/after a run but do sometimes do calf raises/dips on the stairs. One thing I do after every run is pop a Zero High5 tab into a glass of water (Electrolyte & Magnesium) and sometimes soak in an Epsom Salt bath image DOMs seem to be a thing of the past for me now but maybe I'm not pushing myself enough when I runimage 

Oh, and 365 miles run so far this year with 5 days of no running.

• Options

I'd try the short walk later in the day, are you doing enough runs between your long ones? Are you still running at least 3 times a week if so in another couple of weeks I reckon it will start to ease off as your legs get more used to the Mileage, that's what I am finding.

I know all the advice is cold water, but lately I've been having a warm not hot bath pretty much straight after my longer runs and find I feel fine the next day.