Options

Poppies.

Comments

• Options

Back to the original post - isn't it up to each individual whether they give or not? It's not up to someone else to lay guilt trips on people who don't give or don't wear the poppy for whatever reason they choose. When I see someone without a poppy I don't make any sort of value judgement about them - I know nothing about what good or bad things they do with the rest of their lives.

• Options

Scrampillar - just because I do not respect your argument does not mean I do not respect you.

Peter Collins - Yes it is.  Sad though that someone would chose not to give to a cause that was set up to support those who gave them that choice.

• Options
    Peter Collins - Yes it is.  Sad though that someone would chose not to give to a cause that was set up to support those who gave them that choice.

If people died for other people's freedom, then they also died for their freedom not to give to charity and not to wear a poppy. Or did they die for someone's freedom to tell others what to do?

• Options
    Peter Collins wrote (see)

If people died for other people's freedom, then they also died for their freedom not to give to charity and not to wear a poppy. Or did they die for someone's freedom to tell others what to do?

Is that what I said?  Does show an outstanding lack of respect though.

• Options

Not sure what you've said on here, but it's an awfully long thread. We get this every year. Why should anyone have to donate or wear a poppy if they don't want to; and why the guilt trip? Lot's of people do talk about people fighting for our freedom - and my grandfather fought on the western front in WW1 - but then want to tell people how to use that freedom. I don't get it.

• Options

even when that charity has become so beaurocratic and spends so little on those who fought......maybe they choose to give to a better run charity

£9 on restructuring and £10 million on lobbying...

• Options

What does he want. Get people to show respect with a bayonet in their back?

• Options
    SCBB wrote (see)

Sad though that someone would chose not to give to a cause that was set up to support those who gave them that choice.

I disagree.  I go back to the point of giving to every single worthy cause. Do you?  Does anyone?  What if someone feels that remembrance appears to be well enough observed/donated towards by the general populace, that they'd rather use their limited "good cause" funds to financially support another completely different cause which they think is under-represented?  Are people genuinely offended by the fact that not absolutely everyone won't be wearing a poppy in the next week?

As for people on TV wearing them - well yeah, some people will complain, but some people will complain about anything.  Poor old Alastair Stewart got it in the neck for not wearing a black tie when he announced that the Queen Mum had died.  (It was burgundy.)  FFS! She was about 126, she had to go some time.

• Options

I find it remarkable that you talk of peoples right to do whatever they wish and then when someone exercises that right to express their view that your lack of respect is offensive you criticise them. Hypocritical to the extreme.

“I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.”  
    ???     William F. Buckley Jr.

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

even when that charity has become so beaurocratic and spends so little on those who fought......maybe they choose to give to a better run charity

£9 on restructuring and £10 million on lobbying...

Perhaps you'd like to look at the charity's accounts and realign your views about how 'little' it spends on beneficiaries. http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/media/2955583/annualreport2012.pdf

78p in every pound spent on beneficiaries, which is about average for any charity.

And before you say it, do you think lobbying, raising money and awareness-raising can all be done for free?

• Options

Wtf? people are hypocritical for criticising you? 

• Options

I really don't see what they are lobbying for.... .or who they are giving their cash to for the lobbying....

i would rather give a more direct way.....not that i pass the collecting tin without putting something in......but i am not convinced by where and how it helps to put larger amounts of my money in..

• Options
    Sussex Runner NLR wrote (see)

Wtf? people are hypocritical for criticising you? 

Not at all.  People are hypocritical for saying that people are free to express their desire not to wear poppies and then criticising me for expressing that people should wear poppies.  Apparently the freedom afforded is only for those who wish to not show respect rather than those that speak up for it.  That is the hypocrisy. 

Surely you understand the difference? You cannot cite your right to free speech to defend your point and then criticise what someone else say by saying that they 'cant say that'!

• Options

Ahh thanks. I get your point now. I don't agree with it but I get it. 

• Options

You don't agree that is hypocrisy? Or you don't think people are being hypocritical?

• Options

I think it's just a democratic argument. Nobody is saying that you should do anything. Just arguing their own point. 

• Options

I find the 'guilt trip' argument astonishing - yes it is so selfish of generations of 1st and 2nd WW soldiers to die trying to liberate oppressed people.  How selfish.

I am afraid that I have to leave this thread well alone.  It is full of selfish over priveliged people expressing views they clearly do not understand or can justify.  Either that or they are so self orientated that there opinion is worthless to me.

I accept that people will undoubtedly feel the same about my views.  But at least I can justify them, have evidence and earnt the right to express them.

• Options

Soldiers of WW2 were opressing people in other countries before during and after the war. The "enemy" didn't have a monopoly on repression. 

• Options
    The majority of the armed forces in WW2 were conscripts.
  • Options

That's the thing about opinion SCBB.  We all have one and yours might be worthless to other people also.

• Options

I wear a poppy as it's the least I can do to show my respect to all those soldiers who have fallen in the line of duty.  I can see from my Irish ancestry that many of my fathers

relatives were on both sides of the same battle.  Yes  I always wear a poppy to remind me of the mistakes of past conflicts , out of respect  for millions of brave  people  from all walks of life ,who maybe fought battles that were not of their making.   

God bless them all, that's what I say.

• Options

Nice one Tiny Tim

• Options

Wasn't he the one that sang "Tiptoe through the Tulips?"

• Options

SCBB, please tell us how you have earned the right to express your views? Just curious.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

The time needs to come when we stop having Remembrance Days, wearing red poppies, and presumably white ones as well.

We need to move on.

Wars divide, as do remembrance of wars.

• Options

I'd prepare to sit back and take the flak on that one T Rex.

Anyway, the same debate goes on elsewhere:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/poll/2013/nov/06/remembrance-sunday-colour-poppy-red-white

• Options

Entirely up to you - but you do realise your taxes aren't actually going to charity right?

• Options
    Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

I pay higher rate tax, I consider this excessive for a normal working man with a family, so I don't do charity, fair or unfair?

Irrelevant.