Options

P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done Ramjet. Agree about the organisation a bit...they need to sort out the start too, I was squeezed in amongst cars for gawds sake.

Men - I found it bloody hard too...I always do...and I've probably buggered up my running for most of this week, which is why I don't usually do too many tune up races of 10mi+.

Waiting for my first post race wee so I can then start on the beer.

• Options

21.5km LSR cross country very hilly and muddy, well for me it was image Very slow, but very happy with that. Average HR 135

• Options
    15w and his bodily functions ... why can't you start on the beer anyway?? it'll sure help you to wee properlyimage
  • Options

Chick - I have, a Guinness and a San Miguel, just reaching fir my third now......

Cracking run Ramjet - I looked out for you but didn't see you - another thread member stood up by Mennaniaimage. I will be getting a reputation as a tease at this rate...

Great effort on the 20 Stewartimage. I will do a rr in a bit.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Fabulous racing everyone! image Great to see so many PB's flying in!

Well done on breaking 1:30 Ramjet, you must be well stoked.

15W - once you go you'll want to keep going. Better to hold off and just drink more.

• Options

Do normal people find it hard to wee after a half? I've met Ramjet, btw.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Do normal people find it hard to wee after a half? 

Yes, normally it takes at least a full pint.

• Options

I set that one up for you on purpose Tenjiso. It does back up the theory that 15W needs to get more beer drunk, though.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I may have had a wee with my poo this afternoon, I can't remember. I should keep a diary next to the toilet to log these things.

Anyway, I have just had a wee...so I have given myself the all clear. Having a beer or two or three (etc) after a race when dehydrated can lead to a very shitty monday in my experience.

Currently watching Dr No.

Looking at the results looks like it was a real race for 1st place....won by same bloke who won Stockport10 in 1.05.46 (!) . A very good runner.

• Options
    Amazing running guys! I'm with yer maj... In awe! Well done.

Rest day for me today!!
  • Options

I've had a pint of water, that free orangey puke from the goody bag, a Guinness, large coffee, San Miguel (wee here) and am presently in that unique position that only long distance runners have the pleasure of, namely a chocolate recovery drink in one hand and a beer in the other.image

• Options
    Some fantastic racing and a bundle of PBs. I sometimes question the plans but real justification from today's results. Well done

A slow 18m for me.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I'm on my 2nd can of fosters. So sophisticated.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Looking at reviews on here looks like the baggage storage was a massive cock up - bit like Manchester marathon 2012 (except with better weather). Fortunately being an elite athlete I managed to get my bag before any of the chaos, but did notice that the bags were just piled up and in no particular order, and the place seemed to be mainly run by kids.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Thanks Ten - it would be fair to say that I am stoked!

15W and Men I probably missed you guys because I was looking in the wrong location! In my post-race haze I had forgotten that the race ends at a different location to the start (although I did wonder why everyone was leaving so promptly.) So I hung around at the primary school for a while looking at race numbers and then realised that you would be at the sports club where the race started. I did manage to bump into a work colleague so did have someone to chat to!

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

BTW PO10 has been updated. I have a ranking! Now I am beyond stoked!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sounds like everyone had a good dayy today. Conditions seemed almost perfect based on here. 

15 west, I'm intrigued, how did you and mennaniarecognise each other. Mennania would be easy enough if he were running with that balloon head I supposeimage

Feeling a bit sore today. Looking at work/family commitments I'm going to need to do one of the big sessions tomorrow. Not fancying Lt run so 11 miler it will be. 

• Options

DT19 - I think they either arranged to wear a red carnation in their buttonholes, or they exchanged race numbers on this thread a few pages ago.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ah yes I see. Not sure if I were 6 mm that I'd have the mental prowess to remember my name let alone remember a number and keep an eye out.

Ramjet- yep that's a great feeling when you hit ranking times!

I assume for a Mara its 3 hours. Will have a look. 

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Well done all of today's racers, and thanks for the reports, especially Ram (you know what I'm thinking!).  I'm very jealous as the race I was due to run in today, the Les Witton 10 at Dartford, was cancelled at 06:30.  Some rather localised very heavy rain on Thursday/ Friday caused the river near the start/ finish to flood and it hadn't retreated enough by the time of this morning's course inspection (at 05:30!!).  It's ironic since the day was beautiful: sunny, warm and still!

I'm so disappointed for the organisers, as I'm pretty sure this is the fourth successive year the race hasn't taken place on the date originally set.  I gather only a small proportion of the field usually turn up to postponed races.

I was psyched up for this, not least since it's the first race in this year's Kent Grand Prix.  I was looking forward to challenging the best in my (rather small in number) age group!

Still I enjoyed the beautiful weather by running the local (Tunbridge Wells) half marathon course,  Is anyone up for this race?  It's on 2 March 2014, so nice preparation for the Virgin Money London Marathon.  It's a great race, though I would have to say it's not flat!  I'm pacing, so won't be racing.

• Options

Just to endorse the TW half, I did it last year and it was indeed a great race. And I got a PB!

Not saying there's not an effing great big hill right in the middle, though.

• Options

Great work to all who ran today, SGB, that's really frustrating for a race to go that late (or early) in the day

my 18miles went well this morning, maintained a steady slow pace for first half then picked it up (possibly too quick) but finished with a fast last mile. miles panned out as... 9.55; 10.06; 9.59; 10.10; 9.47; 9.46; 9.54; 9.39; 9.26; 9.21; 8.59; 9.04; 9.03; 8.47; 8.47; 9.11; 7.32 Pretty pleased to be able to knock out that 7.32 in mile 18 image. Weekly mileage of 46

• Options

Hi all.  Just to say re baggage at Helsby today, as one of the runners who helped to sort it out, it was NOTHING like Manchester fiasco, it was a cock up re runners being allowed to come in and get their bags and then labels fell off and bags mixed up.  This isn't a profit race, it is organised by people like you and me and some people were incredibly rude today.  Yes, lessons learned but believe me, everyone tried their best. Well done everyone.  Mennania, saw you in bog queue but didn't want to intrude! 

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Well done everyone who raced today. I like Helsby half, but agree the start was a bit disorganised (well it was last time I did it).

I'm pleased to report that since the 'fuck it' approach to my persistent groin injury, I've managed to run pretty much every other day. Only 7 miles or so each time but threw a pseudo LT session and survived. Still way off my old paces though, but fingers crossed. Don't want to push it too much for fear of groin flaring up badly. Day 1 of my 12 week campaign starts tomorrow.

• Options

What a day. Some fantastic PBs - and some good weeing and pooing.

For me... a lovely steady 18 miler.  I'm still (roughly) following the 18/55 schedule, rather than switch to the 12/55  - because I've got the 18/55 runs scheduled in my diary... and have misplaced my book!  Not a bad week for me. 40 miles, with good quality in there.

Once again... great to hear of the inspirational runs.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Woahh!image What a weekend of racing! Well done P&Ders! image

While you were racing, I had the day off ... and am also having today off, as it's Monday. Hopefully I will be nice and fresh for the 10 mi with 5 @ LT.

Good news Shazmo ... good luck  for when the schedule kicks in.

Very nice long run Nowt!image

• Options

I have stalked your run HeOw - You happy with the day? I was at the upper edge of my ability and would like to run that race with 5% less effort - I would enjoy it a bit more then!

DT19 - It was mile 8 and I hadnt seen either Ram or 15w by this stage - I knew that 15w wasnt in front of me and I knew he was quicker than me so I was expecting him. He was wearing the same stuff as his picture which helped.

Legsfeel tired but not too bad today. A 3 or 4 mile recovery will suffice for me today.

Andrew and NN - great lsr ing and lets hope thats you off the Bench now Shazmo

Guys help me out - what are ranking times?

• Options

Very sloooow recovery 3miles for me this morning. In fact, my watch switched to autopause twice when I was running because it thought I had stopped!  Hamstring was really tight but the run loosened it a little.

Great race report Ramjet, and what a breakthrough time. Well done! And Shazmo - it sounds like you're well and truely on the road to recovery. Great stuff!

Week 8 this week... Gulp!

• Options

No Mennannia, I had a SHOCKER!  A personal worst for me, developed shin splints since (I know, I am a twat) changing my trainers from usual Brooks and they were agony yesterday, so I ran at pace for 6-7 miles and had to admit defeat and stop, stretch out, rest them for a bit then waited for a friend who was pacing in 2hr.  So jogged final half and really enjoyed the race!  

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. Leg's feel surprisingly lacking in DOMS this morning, so might manage a recovery run today. Usually I get DOMS pretty bad after a race; maybe my legs are a bit hardened after Stockport10 in Dec which did give me DOMS, maybe it was the short warm up (something I always try and do anyway); or maybe it the was the slow 1mi jog I did after the race back to the car. Probably a bit of all 3.

I do have non-DOMS aches and pains though so still need to take it easy. My left calf is particularly sore.

Terrible night's sleep last night. Bit hungover today too. image