Options

P&D Spring Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

wow busy on here for last few days! well done everyone on racing times! awesome.

back to the P&D schedule now - ouch!

Thanks for advice on Pirifermoris - using a cricket ball at present! Looks a bit weird, but hey if it works who cares. I did 15 miles sat and 8 miles hills sunday!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Dr Dan- May i remind you the schdule says 'rest OR cross train'- not take another lazy arse day offimage

I am away with work Thursday which therfore means my entire week has to be pulled about, Kicking off today with 11 miles then LT on Wednesday. Suits fine as had a complete rest yesterday.

• Options
    15West wrote (see)

Morning all. Leg's feel surprisingly lacking in DOMS this morning, so might manage a recovery run today. Usually I get DOMS pretty bad after a race; maybe my legs are a bit hardened after Stockport10 in Dec which did give me DOMS, maybe it was the short warm up (something I always try and do anyway); or maybe it the was the slow 1mi jog I did after the race back to the car. Probably a bit of all 3.

... or maybe you didn't run fast enough during the race? image

• Options
    Nose Nowt wrote (see)
    15West wrote (see)

Morning all. Leg's feel surprisingly lacking in DOMS this morning, so might manage a recovery run today. Usually I get DOMS pretty bad after a race; maybe my legs are a bit hardened after Stockport10 in Dec which did give me DOMS, maybe it was the short warm up (something I always try and do anyway); or maybe it the was the slow 1mi jog I did after the race back to the car. Probably a bit of all 3.

... or maybe you didn't run fast enough during the race? image

DT19 wrote (see)

Dr Dan- May i remind you the schdule says 'rest OR cross train'- not take another lazy arse day offimage

I thought a "lazy arse day off" was a rest day? I'm good at those!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Nose Nowt - HEY!

PDSMers - remember Jantastic.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Mennania do you mean what time do you need to get a ranking? For guys it is sub 90 for the half and I think sub 3:10 for the marathon. All the other common distances have times as well. You can find out the cut-off by looking at the slowest time in the ranking table (there may be an easier way!)

Ranking table is here: http://www.runbritainrankings.com/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=HM&agegroup=ALL&sex=M&year=2014

The rankings also appear on your PO10 profile page.

• Options

I believe the easier way is to look at the top of the list where it says:
    HM Men Overall 2014 to 90:00
    suggesting that the cut-off is 90:00.

• Options

How do you get on these rankingas as i have met the qualifying times but dont show on there, but friends of mine have not met the times and they are on there? Do you have to be a club member?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

3.10 for a mara has to be a good B target and incentive to keep going if the GFA is beyond me!

It also depends on your age as well. There are v40 rankings where for example the 10k time drops from 40 min to 42.

• Options

Are you looking for yourself in the right year, Wenty?

Also, your slower friends can have a profile but they won't have a national ranking if they haven't run fast enough times.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

it also depends whether the races you have met the times in are fully uka governed adnd have a full cert of accuracy. I did a 10k in september and was quite a big one and was uka governed but it had a slightly odd cert of accuracy so did not count for ranking.

• Options

Ah, that's true - if they're multi-terrain they don't count, for example.

• Options
    Dr.Dan wrote (see)

While you were racing, I had the day off ... and am also having today off, as it's Monday. Hopefully I will be nice and fresh for the 10 mi with 5 @ LT.

image   I have to do my first LT sesh this week. Dreading it. Especially as it's supposed to snow tonight and every day for the rest of this week. Oh well, guess we were lucky with an exceptional warm winter so far! There's always running by effort. Now, where did I put those Yaktrax image??

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

As regards ranking times, I think the limits depend on age as well as gender. 

• Options

Nearly all the races i have done are approved "big" races and meet their standards, but I am not shown and neither are a few others i know who are quicker than me. I presume you must need an affiliated number as everyone i know in a club is on there and most non club runners are not. on PO10 and run britain.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

You'll smash it Chick! If it snows, then the HRM and running to "effort" should do just fine (I bought some YaxTrax Pros this year ... so it probably won't snow here).

So P&D veterans ... how many have you run a successful marathon and stuck to the 2 x 20M long runs without being temp[ted to to a 4th or 5th, or without being tempted to extend the 20 to 22, 24 etc. Come on, 'fess up!

This is my first time with P&D ... last year I ran 5 x 20s, with the longest being 22 ... the year before was 4 x 20s but with a 23 and a 24 ... the year before that was 5 x 20s with a  24.5 and a 26.3 (PB year). However, this schedule has a lot more quality in it, so I'm guessing that requires a compromise on the long runs.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Wenty wrote (see)

Nearly all the races i have done are approved "big" races and meet their standards, but I am not shown and neither are a few others i know who are quicker than me. I presume you must need an affiliated number as everyone i know in a club is on there and most non club runners are not. on PO10 and run britain.

You need to ask to get a PO10 profile these days ... otherwise the default for road runners is the sister site runbritain.

• Options

Good question about the 20M+ runs Dr.Dan!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, I am interested in that point. I am debating adding two miles to all my long runs so I do get at least 5 at 20 plus. 

• Options

DrDan, interesting you need to apply for PO10. Run Britain does not have me on there or people I know who ran, but similar timed people (qualified times) who run for clubs are on there. Goes back to my point that I think you need to be a club member (or have been previously) as they are nearly all club runners on there.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Wenty- I think you can jus set up profiles on both, but if your a affiliated club runner it automatically gets done. When I dfoiscovered both sites I was surprised to see almost all my previous races listed. 

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I'm planning to go to 22m again, even though it's against all the guidelines (e.g. it will take me about 3:45 to run it in training). However, I do it 7 weeks out from the marathon and stick to the scheduled 20m for the last long run before the taper.

I've had a bit of pain by my right ankle recently. I think it's probably peroneal tendonitus that's developing. It's not persistent, and I don't feel it when running. It appears occasionally depending on how I angle my foot (e.g. when going down a step). No inflammation, and no pain when I touch it. I did a stretch shown here and this definitely hits the spot. Has anybody else had this? Will stretching suffice? I'm hoping to get away without having to rest it! image (since I've stretched it - I don't know it's there)

• Options

DT - i presume you are affiliated club runner?

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I set up a Po10 page several years ago ... at one point it vanished and I was told that the default for road raceers was runbritain but, if I wanted, I could still have a Po10 page. I did want one, so they restored it straight away.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

There's an important typo in my post on the end of the previous page ... so here is the question again...

So P&D veterans ... how many have you run a successful marathon and stuck to the 3 x 20M long runs without being tempted to to a 4th or 5th, or without being tempted to extend the 20 to 22, 24 etc. Come on, 'fess up!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Wenty - I'm on Po10. Which shows they're not at all fussy. I'm not in a club, and I'm not even elite in my own household image

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes I am. I recall doing the Bristol half sept 12 and it was sponsored by runbrtitain. There was a leaflet in goody bag that said there was a free profile waiting for everyone who had entered race and just needed to register to open it. Mine was there with all my details recorded. That was the first I knew of it. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I'm not a club member and I'm on there...can't remember if I set it up for myself or not.

• Options

I was on there before I was a club member too, but from what Dr Dan says, the system may have changed. I can't imagine your times wouldn't be listed in the rankings though (even if not attached to a profile) because otherwise they'd be a bit meaningless as rankings 'no. xx out of all the people who've set up a profile' rather than 'out of all the people in your category racing this distance in the UK'.

They've also made the qualifying times easier as well in the last few years, so if you ran times a few years ago which would qualify now, they might not have at the time.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Dr Dan - I have always added a few miles to the long runs, so making sure that my 5 longest runs add up to at least 100.