Options

The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• Options

No training for me today, up all night with back spasms, what was it somebody said about starting off easy image, had a call from the bank yesterday telling me that despite my ranting and raving about charges they have seen fit to reimburse me a bit of them as a good will gesture, I threatened them with Martin Lewis, might go and buy a turbo trainer today image

• Options

Do I mean Martin Lewis? Off the telly?

• Options

JP Halfords did have a sale on turbo's last week might have ended but worth a look just in case.

• Options

Just got back from Decathlon with my new Turbo Trainer, it's an Elite one £100, Decathlon do one for £69 but had sold out and didn't know when they were restocking, I looked at halfords on the way, they have some for £75 (sold out) and the same one I got in Decathlon for £120.

thats that sorted, now off to physio to get pins stuck in me image

• Options

Leg felt better last night, so went for a trial run.... cut short after just two thirds of a mile...... limped home and physio booked for Friday... image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Been back in England two days and have to say the road conditions are crap. Covered in debris, mud, fallen trees and fast flowing water down the roads.

Surprisingly it seems we had better weather in Scotland for New Year where I managed to get 3 trail runs in - quality not quantity ! But as a boost I did the same 4.5 mile route in same shoes, weather and with same GPS as a year ago and was 4 minutes quicker - training progress at last.

Managed a mud splattered 4.5 mile run yesterday and just beat the rain home off a 17 mile bike ride.

Building training slowly as need to shed the excess Christmas weight gain, about alb in two weeks image not good.

• Options

Just had 3 days completely off from Man-Flu... not exactly how I wanted to start my New Year unfortunately. Desperately want to start upping the volume now - time to get serious!

• Options

Blood doning on Tuesday made for a difficult hour on the turbo yesterday and a somewhat sluggish run this evening.  Tomorrow's spin session could be interesting image

• Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭

Swam my first mile non stop in a very very very very very very long time today, was too busy to do a proper session.  Anyway pleased to have actually done a swimimage

Should probably plan a few more between now and June.

• Options

Physio tells me i'm hip.... or something like that... wasn't listening properly after she'd told me to squeeze my own butt and keep my knees together....

• Options
    Up at 6am like a zombie till I had double expresso then 15 min drive to pool,1800mt later I came out a new man, 5.6mile on the treadmill tonight. Will sleep well tonight.
  • Options

Great swim this afternoon its all coming together some very early mornings to get it all in but enjoying it allimage icy roads this morning nearly came a cropper, more of the same tomorrow so it could be 2 hours on the turboimage

• Options

I swam

Still awesome

• Options

This week so far:

3 x 1 hour bootcamps,

2 x 45 minute hilly runs

2 swims - 1.25K and 1.5K,

2 x 1 hour (15 mile) fixed bike rides,

1 x 45min kettlebell class.

funny it seemed like a lot more than it looks in black and white...bugger! need to go longer.

• Options

Tried out my buoyancy shorts for the first time this week at the gym. Few funny looks but once in the pool, all ok.

Had the time and felt good so ended up doing the full 3.8 k. Wasn't a prob doing it so that gives me all my confidence back for swim. Just need to sort my cycling out now.

Malc

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    M...eldy wrote (see)

I swam

Still awesome

I swam less awesomely while Meldy glided past...

Happy Birthday, Melds image!

• Options
    joddly wrote (see)
    M...eldy wrote (see)

I swam

Still awesome

I swam less awesomely while Meldy glided past...

Happy Birthday, Melds image!

On her way to the Cafe?

• Options

Couldn't face the turbo and it was as slippy this morning so had a great long off road run with The Mighty Irondog this morning very frosty but nice and toasty in my new pirate gilletimage

• Options

Swam over a mile today for the first time, very happy with my progress. 

Exam season for me, so will continue to battle through to Feb 13th and then it's happy days

• Options

Got the TT bike out for the first time in a while.... seriously lovely morning out there... what a treat to ride under blue skies again! image

Off to club swim in a bit.... more rubber band torture coming my way!

• Options

Sat in a classroom all day, chomping at the bit to get to the pool and work the indent from the chair off my arse, cycling tomorrow, praying to the rain and hail gods to have a day off

• Options

Happy Birthday M.eldy.

What a treat to get out on the bike in the sunshine today. Had to ignore Fink today and double the time and HRZ.

• Options

brilliant day to train.park run did then straight out for 45 miles in the sunshine image

• Options

Happy birthday Meldy image

Wet and muddy 8 mile run for me this morning, then swim training with Wigan Tri this evening. First time I've attended and so glad that I did. Swam over 2k and felt really good throughout, so properly made up.

First century ride of the year tomorrow, so will see how the legs hold out....

• Options

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to tri and I will be going long for the first time at IM Mallorca in Sept.....................................

Ive read through Fink's book, is it really worth training in relation to heart rate, or is working up to the distance a better plan, thanks for any help and advice.

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Day off today, first day I've missed in the first two weeks of Fink. Had a bike fit at the excellent Midland Bike Fit. Not a huge change, seat adjusted, wedges in my shoes, cleats adjusted and bars raised but an extra 9W (whoo!) over three minutes. Couldn't fit my tri bars 'cos the seat post isn't reversible and the handle bars taper so the tri bars don't fit, I'll buy some shims for the bars and get them sorted.
  • Options

Bit icy out on the bike this morning, but a good 54 miles in the bag, along with the discovery of a top new source of good coffee and superb lemon drizzle cake!

• Options
    Ah that's better. 9hrs banked training this week done. Going to reward myself with couple of glasses red wine tonight. Rest day tomorrow happy days fink plan going well. What about everybody else. Do you give yourselves a reward at end of week if you hit the hours planned?
  • Options

Paul, what's your background and where are you at, at the moment?

8 hours for me this week. An early 2hour ride this morning dodging the ice patches. The view from the top of Boxhill will was totes amazeballs. image

• Options

For the last two years i have lost around a months training from crashing on ice the last one was particularly nasty so this year if the car windows froze the bike goes on the turboimage

So mental strength training this morning 2 hours on the turbo followed by a 30 minute run tgen this afternoon a nice recovery swim with daughterimage

Had a realy good weeks training this week including swimmingimage