Options

The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• Options

Lovely couple of hours trudging through mud out on the trails this morning, followed by sausage and egg for brekkie.

Will try and get a few hours on the bike tomorrow, weather dependent.

Stoats - hope the foot heels soon (see what I did there?) image

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hi Team, good to hear that some quality training's going on. 

Complete reframe for me. After months of injury, illness, and above all demotivation I have committed to going back to how it was when I started having a go at triathlon. In other words, training when it fits in, spending more time and effort looking after the family and home, and without any targets. I haven't been this unfit for several years, and I'm not going to feel any pressure to get close to last year's level.

Last year was great until the wheels fell off, and I've started this year by putting my back out so it's an even slower start than I'd imagined. I'm not worried, though, except in case it keeps me from gardening, cooking, ironing etc...!

The saddest thing is having to leave my online coach - it feels like chucking a boyfriend!

So, keep up the good work, and I'm still planning to join the IM Wales squad, if I can get into some sort of shape in time image.

• Options
    Magna Carter wrote (see)

Tomorrow, I have my first ever swim session with the local tri club that i've just joined.... somewhat nervous after reading so many blogs about the 'tough' nature of some of these swims!

Yes, they can be tough but probably only cos you have to work harder than you probably would when you're swimming alone.  Worth the effort though cos you will end up stronger/faster than you were.  They'll probably have graded swim lanes so you don't get overwhelmed!  Good luck.

Joddly - you had an amazing year last year but the pressure of a really tough second IM within a matter of a few weeks of your planned 'A' race must've been difficult to deal with.  Hope you manage to re-discover your mojo and enjoy your return image

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Crap weather so 2 hours on the turbo watching Inbetweeners movie. Run tomorrow. Pain in my elbow gone so might get to the pool next week.
  • Options

+1 what Trogs said.

How did it go MC?

Trogs wrote (see)
    Magna Carter wrote (see)

Tomorrow, I have my first ever swim session with the local tri club that i've just joined.... somewhat nervous after reading so many blogs about the 'tough' nature of some of these swims!

Yes, they can be tough but probably only cos you have to work harder than you probably would when you're swimming alone.  Worth the effort though cos you will end up stronger/faster than you were.  They'll probably have graded swim lanes so you don't get overwhelmed!  Good luck.

I've almost finished my first week of Fink - does it matter that it's been inside 'coz of the weather?

• Options

Just about to leave.... if I don't post up a report, it's because i've drowned through exhaustion....

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
  • Options

It was great fun!

(and bloody hard work!)

rubber bands that go round your legs, forcing you to use your core to get your legs high are the work of satan.......

• Options

Oh they are fun   image

Joddly, long time no squeak .. you needed the rest.   You still have plenty of time to get in shape for Wales, start with swimming  image

• Options

I completely lost my way but will now crack on. After twisting my ankle in early December and being chuffed with my recovery...I went and put in an great 7mile tempo run = big set back and ankle worse than original injury.  

Anyway,whatever will put December behind me.  My main challenge is going to be finding a routine around new work & family commitments.  

• Options
    After Xmas piss ups got a mile pool swim in Fri and did 30mile road ride today,feeling chuffed to be back. 1hr run planned early Sunday.
  • Options

Well done all. 

Joddly as Melds and Trots have said you had an amazing year,  on top of so me pretty good years. You'll bounce back soon enough. 

• Options

Nice to see you back Joddersimage

Its being going well for me getting the sessions in even enjoying the pool, my daughter is homecfrom uni and in the last 6 months has really caught the exercise bug especially running and swimming she has really toned up and now after 19 years "gets it" why her dad does all this stuffimage

The only trouble is the little girl i taught to swim can beat me over 25 m sprints in the poolimage

• Options

Black ice and wet this morning, climbing Walbury Hill and just spinning the rear wheel was fun!  Still 35 miles in before the rain came back again.

• Options

RBM is this the daughter who came to Outlaw?  Can we persuade her to put on some yeller and black?  Even if over shorter distances at the moment.

I'm getting back into the swing of things now too.  Christmas and lots of work have had an impact but I should be back to normal this week or next.  I hadn't swum for a couple of weeks and really felt it in the pool this morning!

• Options

Picked daughter up this morning after she completed Hellrunner yesterday... she still had a big grin on her face!

Then went with son for an hour in the woods (and mud) on mountain bikes.... hose pipe and shower job afterwards.....

fab day!

• Options

Mouse thats her, I will work on her,shes pretty full on with the law degree we are looking to do a half marathon together during the summer breakimage, I can see a nice bike being part of her graduation pressies image

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Thanks for the positive vibes image.

Melds, I thought talk of swimming with bands might  get you along! At the moment I can't get straight enough to swim, but improving each day so may get along on Friday - will you be going then?

• Options

Im joining my first masters swim tomorrow, was looking forward to it until I heard about all this leg tying with rubber bands image

• Options

Yes Friday hopefully and with the One Armed Bandit herself image

I have had a non starter of a week with the dreaded lurgy but hoping for an easy/low HR week this week to start me off

Bands round your ankles are very good but only for 4-6 lengths initially or you will lose form and that wont be of any benefit, will certainly show you how much you *do* use your legs even if you think you dont !

• Options

For those that want to try bands ... use an old inner tube (clean one!!) and gradually tighten in up over the weeks as you adapt

• Options

back in the saddle - yesterday was suprisingly ok - not as cold as I thought, (but then I had my heavy jacket, lobster mits, winter boots and overshoes on).  I stayed out longerbthan planned but got back before dark image

I even swam for the first time in a month

aim for this week -
    bike commute 4 days, 1 turbo, and ride with missus on saturday then big ride sunday.   Add a couple of swims

• Options

After a rest day yesterday I had to force myself down to the pool this morning and very nearly cba'd the planned run this evening. As it happens, as soon as I got myself out the door and started running, I enjoyed a slow steady run.

Rest of the week is likely to be a bit low key cos I'm blood doning tomorrow and that always knocks me back a bit for a few days.  Plan is to try an easy turbo session on Wednesday evening, swim and/or run on Thursday, spin Friday then Winter Tanners on Sunday.

• Options

I'd hardly call Tanners low key Trogs image

• Options

Thought i'd maintain my crazy streak.... not content with joining my local tri club and punishing myself with the club swimming sessions, i've also joined my local cycling club for club rides too... so that'll be a 50 miler on Sunday.... i' m calling it the Fink plus plan

Before anyone asks, yes the tri club do club rides... but I am half tempted by the cycling clubs 10 mile TTs during the summer, as last time I did them, I enjoyed an event that is such hard work for 25 mins that it makes you throw up.... image

• Options

Trip to the pool for me last night.  Still finding it hard work to get into any sort of rhythm and maintain steady breathing (i.e. I'm still very 'gasp' and out of breath a lot of the time).

Actually had a brief moment of "Oh shit, I'm really not going to be able to get through the swim at Lanza", but popped a couple of HTFU pills and got my head straight again.  I seemed to settle a bit for the last half hour and, dare I say, enjoyed the rest of the swim.

Managed just over a mile in the end, so fairly pleased with that.  Am now going to visit the pool twice a week, one of which will be a tri-club training session, so am hoping to get a lot out of that.

• Options

Thought I'd jump in here too. For no apparent reason I've decided to see how long into 2014 I can maintain an average of 30 miles of cycling a day - all going well so far.

Yesterday I had my first swim of 2014 after a couple of weeks off. Wasn't great but things can only get better. Did 2.5k and I'm feeling it today.

And I've got a vaguely knackered left foot that is getting better so the running will start properly soon, but they'll be a few little test runs before I get going for real!

• Options

Pudge keep at it it will eventually click

Well the weather this morning was amazing hail, lightning, thunder and high winds all in one, managed to HTFU for my run Wilson the Not so Mighty Irondog elected to stay on his bedimage

• Options

Cheers Ridgeback, that's certainly what I'm hoping!

Well done for getting out in such crappy weather. image

• Options

Smart dog that image