Options

The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• Options
    timebikes wrote (see)
    Ah that's better. 9hrs banked training this week done. Going to reward myself with couple of glasses red wine tonight. Rest day tomorrow happy days fink plan going well. What about everybody else. Do you give yourselves a reward at end of week if you hit the hours planned?

Yep, without a doubt. Although, no point in just having the 2 glasses...if the bottle is opened then it may as well be emptied, as it won't keep!

75 miles on the bike for me. Technical issues meant I fell short of the planned 100, but still good to get a decent ride in.

Now, where is that wine?

• Options
    Better week this week, 2 turbo sessions of 45min + 50mile/4hr bike outside yesterday + 10mile trail run today. It was totally uplifting bike ride yesterday, knackered by the end but on a buzz the rest of the day followed by a completely guilt free pub dinner and a couple local ales. Tri is great sometimes.

Next week I am going to try a new pool - logistics of using my old training pool don't work anymore. Looking forward to getting in the water again, but really looking forward to getting in neoprene in the spring.

Happy training folks, hope I haven't jinxed myself by posting.
  • Options

good decent ride there Pudge..

33 miles biked with a 4.2 mile cross country run in the middle...means 78 miles over two days biked

• Options
    Wheez wrote (see)

Paul, what's your background and where are you at, at the moment?

8 hours for me this week. An early 2hour ride this morning dodging the ice patches. The view from the top of Boxhill will was totes amazeballs. image

Hi Wheez,

I'm an experienced runner having completed marathons and half's before, the only tri I have completed is a sprint in Sept last year.

I have another sprint tri in April, a Marathon in May, a half Iron in July and the full IM in Sept.

Im currently swimming 3 times per week for an hour, cycling 3 times per week on a turbo trainer for around 3-4 hours in total and running for 3-4 hours per week too.

I have a rudimentary plan in place, the running plan is the run less run faster model which i used last year.

• Options

Pudge.  Well done. Great effort. Can't believe you were going for a 100 mile ride in Jan. Puts my 32 miler today to shame. Bottle it is then. 

• Options

i did a 100 miler in nov and dec but haven't managed to get Januarys done yet....image

• Options

I'm having a crappy start to training in 2014.  I'm very jealous of your riding.  I think racing twice last year has 'done me in' and am struggling to get started again.  That, coupled with a heavy period at work means that my resolutions have come to nothing.  However, on the bright side, I did have a lovely run out today.  The current work issue will be resolved on Tuesday because that's when I have to have this piece done by and then it should be best foot forward....

Can they get rid of the blinkin seasonal smiley soon? Pleeeeease? 

• Options

seren nos wrote (see)

i did a 100 miler in nov and dec but haven't managed to get Januarys done yet....image

Slack, Seren....slack.....image

I did have an awesome swim yesterday, Seren, so feeling much better about that side of things.

Timebikes..cheers...'clink'

• Options
    Paul Griffiths 8 wrote (see)
    Wheez wrote (see)

Paul, what's your background and where are you at, at the moment?

8 hours for me this week. An early 2hour ride this morning dodging the ice patches. The view from the top of Boxhill will was totes amazeballs. image

Hi Wheez,

I'm an experienced runner having completed marathons and half's before, the only tri I have completed is a sprint in Sept last year.

I have another sprint tri in April, a Marathon in May, a half Iron in July and the full IM in Sept.

Im currently swimming 3 times per week for an hour, cycling 3 times per week on a turbo trainer for around 3-4 hours in total and running for 3-4 hours per week too.

I have a rudimentary plan in place, the running plan is the run less run faster model which i used last year.

Well that sounds pretty good to me. The only thing that might be lacking is your long ride which will become more important as you get nearer the IM. Your IM is a long way  away but I would be trying to get out for a 2-3 hour ride most weeks instead of one of your turbo sessions. 

Fwiw I have never been into the heart rate zones for training, I have tended to train on perceived effort. like you I came to tri from a running background so that was much easier to do for the run training. I did make some big mistakes on the bike when I set out and maybe with hindsight training in zones may have helped me. I now have a fair few years' experience on the bike so I can gauge my RPE much better. Tbh, it's whatever works for you. I am loosely following the fink competitive plan aiming towards to Anglian but tweaking it to suit me. Don't know if this helps you or not Paul? Sorry 

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Mouse, I feel your pain!

i'm hoping I might be emerging from a hole, having notched up a total of 8 hors of training in a month. After a swim on Friday, I managed  to get out on the bike for 90 mins on Saturday, first time out for 4 weeks, and really enjoyed it image. Then today I went for a run, which felt decidedly tough given it was only six miles, but it's a start, and there's definitely a hint of mojo coming back!

• Options

Middling sort of week for me. Slightly below par due to blood doning session on Tuesday but finished the week off by slipping, sliding and shuffling my way around 20 hilly miles of the Winter Tanners - four times further than I've been since last July.  There was significantly more walking than running but I made it round in one piece.  I suspect I may not be able to walk tomorrow though but have a massage booked so hopefully that'll sort the legs out.

Swimming's not a problem, running is coming back but the bike remains my weakness. I really need to spend more time pedalling.

• Options

Good news Joddly image

• Options

Joddly, I wonder if one has to pick a week when you know that little else (work, social commitments) is going to get in the way and say to oneself 'right, this is it. Enough fart arsing around, the new season starts here...'  I think that's my plan after Tuesday this week.  

Nice work today Trogs.

• Options

My tuppence worth on the New Year mojo .... I think it is so very difficult to start the process year after year, I enjoy what I do and I know it will all come good but there is still that denial period cos you know once you start the serious stuff that its all going to get a bit heavy some time soon   image

That said, I've had a lurgy.  I have done a good swim session and a couple of runs, I have a busy work week coming up so that will stop me from trying to catch up and I think I am looking at about 8 hrs for the coming week.  I do feel like I haven't done enough longer sessions to this point but I also know that I can do the distance so speed is more beneficial to me than distance at the moment

That was a bit of a night shift waffle

• Options

... at least we're not targetting the Vuelta.....

The route was announced today:

"The Camperona stands out," Guillén said. The final three kilometres includes grades of 24%. "This is a short climb but hard, explosive......"

Sounds like a bundle of laughs...... image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Had a very chilly 48 mile sportive in Cotswolds, at least organisers anticipated the sub zero temps and kept it on the flat.

max temp 4c so I dropped down to the shorter distance as I had a frozen foot.

glad I got out and did it and stuck to my resolution of - Stick to the training plan whatever the weather, who knows what race day will be like.

• Options

I used to think that Red Stripe..........but i'm not sure now that cycling all through the winter which was one of the coldest and snowiest ever helped me when it hit 40 degrees at Outlawimage

i might have been better off indoors with the heating turned up fullimage

• Options

1Hr Road Run 6.30am today Feeling Gooooooooood!  image

• Options

timebikes wrote (see)

1Hr Road Run 6.30am today Feeling Gooooooooood!  image

15 minutes less on the road, but half an hour earlier for me. My first ever early morning session and i agree it felt good image (why do i still have christmas smileys?)

• Options

Training for Outlaw going well (I think). Did my first swim this week in months and have notched 5.5 hours training since Sunday. A long - for me - bike planned this week, aiming for 45.

I booked my campsite pitch today and my pirate kit arrived at the weekend so it's all getting very real image.

• Options

I know what you mean Meldy. How is it that 10 - 12 hours seems to take up all my free time currently, but when we're tapering and doing the same amount, we have loads of time on our hands?!

• Options
    2k swim. Time for bed cream crackerd!
  • Options

Thankfully my legs still seem to work after Sunday's effort, mostly thanks to a massage yesterday. Bit of residual tightness at the start of today's little recovery run but generally felt ok.

Onwards and upwards for the rest of the week.

• Options
    Mr first swimming lesson is today, looking forward to learning how to improve my technique. Even better news, my cycling shoes and some new swim shorts arrived in the post this morning. This is what days off are really for. . Swimming lesson and a run later too
  • Options

90 minute run this morning - last 3 weeks have all seen slight but steady improvements at the same heart rate over the same time so it's promising signs image

• Options

Doms, doms, doms..... ugggg.... better go for a run! image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Turbo trainer still in the box, I looked at it this morning and it sneered at me, I offered my trainers at it like a sacrifice but it wasn't having it

• Options

JP do you see this lovely little puppy in my hand?

*wimpering noices*

Very cute isn't it. Now tonight take the turbo out of the box or I'm going to stick it in a pie!!! image

• Options

Today's session was the quick change transition bike to run. I use the turbo and treadmill in the shed for this normally but the treadmill has been taken over by a poltergeist.

It randomly stops and speeds up so fast there's nothing to do but star jump onto the sides image