Options

The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• Options
    Cake wrote (see)

JP do you see this lovely little puppy in my hand?

*wimpering noices*

Very cute isn't it. Now tonight take the turbo out of the box or I'm going to stick it in a pie!!! image

I'm rushing home now with scissors in hand.......yes I am running with scissors, don't bake the pup Cake, hey great name for a band

• Options

image Did you take it out of the box and use it matie? Just checking as realised puppy food is expensive. image

• Options
    GH0ST wrote (see)

Today's session was the quick change transition bike to run. I use the turbo and treadmill in the shed for this normally but the treadmill has been taken over by a poltergeist.

It randomly stops and speeds up so fast there's nothing to do but star jump onto the sides image

I had a treadmill like that and when it finally went I flew off the back at the end of a 90 min run at 10pm, leaving knee and hand shaped skin skid marks on the belt , before crashing in to the wall behind. My wife and daughter were in bed and daughter text my wife to say I think he's fallen off the treadmill with no reply as my wife was asleep and didn't hear a thing. Needless to say nobody came down to see if I was OK. Maybe sleeping through the bumps is understandable but I've no idea how she could have slept through me swearing at the top of my voice for 5 minutes afterwards. image

• Options

Hi all - I've purposely not spammed the RW forums for the Buccaneer website but Adam has just finished off a series of excellent articles and regardless of whether your aim is to finish your first IM, improve your time or get a ticket to the big dance in Hawaii then they're worth a read.

Check them out at http://www.buccaneertri.com - time well spent!

• Options

well i completed 2500m in the pool this morning in a straedy 50 min. Was happy enough with that. Still a long way til Wales tho. Thinking about going down to see the venue, would this be wise or will it put me offimage

• Options
    Cake wrote (see)

image Did you take it out of the box and use it matie? Just checking as realised puppy food is expensive. image

Its out the box I got on it and did 40 mins before tee time, now let the puppy go image

• Options

trotter.definitely go down there......On my first attempt i didn't visit the course and regretted it bigtime.,.....

last year I went down 3 times for the course and it definitely helped me focus on the bike

• Options

Trotter Steve Ho did a couple of years ago and it put him off but if it was me I would. If not for anything else just some local knowlage. I'd wait a few months through mate. Bet if you ask around you could get a gang to come with you and make a training weekend of it if you wanted to.

• Options
    JPGoodboy wrote (see)
    Cake wrote (see)

Its out the box I got on it and did 40 mins before tee time, now let the puppy go image

Excellent news althrough I was getting quite taken with the idea of dog pie.

• Options

steve ho was put off by the long course weekend which had the swim in the one beach.....since the problems with tide etc all the ironman races and the long course weekend ones have taken place on the other sheltered beach........even on the first year when the swell was massive it was still very swimmable even for crap swimmers like me

• Options

image Really I throught it was the same water bit from what steve was saying interesting. Might make this one then in 2015, the swim put me off. I heard you have some nice hills around there.

• Options

they changed beach the day before the first ironman.......and have stuck with it,,,,,,,,,its the reason why there is such a long run from the swim to T1image

• Options

image Yippeee!!!!! I image hills imageimage

• Options

1hr on the turbo In my new Pirate Tri Shorts.  Boy I was fast. image

• Options
    Yeh I think I will give it few month yet like cake. Are you doing wales mate?
  • Options
    FeganTC wrote (see)

Hi all - I've purposely not spammed the RW forums for the Buccaneer website but Adam has just finished off a series of excellent articles and regardless of whether your aim is to finish your first IM, improve your time or get a ticket to the big dance in Hawaii then they're worth a read.

Check them out at http://www.buccaneertri.com - time well spent!

Thanks for the link Fegan. I think the advice "If you like to avoid it learn to like it." is particularly relevant for me image

• Options

2k swim 7am!  lifes good! hoping to ride part of Wales Ironman route Tomoz prob get wet looks like rain all day , i dont care i,m Hard!  image .

• Options

10.2 very wet miles ran.....still great to see my running getting back to some degree of fitness.........

will start on the swimming next month

• Options
    trotter 2 wrote (see)
    Yeh I think I will give it few month yet like cake. Are you doing wales mate?

image I am now but not this year doing ireman and outlaw relay for 2014. Sure you will have the misfortune of meeting me at some point through. image

• Options

7.5 miles run.... furthest i've run for 3 years.... now walking like John Wayne.

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Nice wet and windy bike ride up the dales this morning but managed 22 miles in 1 hour 10 min so gotta be happy with that.

long way to go yetimage

• Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    In Yorkshire visiting my mum, my 70k ride had 1450m ascent, almost triple what my 80k loop in South Staffs has.
  • Options

Easy run this morning, some swim endurance this evening.

For anyone who doesn't have an action packed Saturday night planned, Ironman 70.3 in Auckland has a live stream on the IM website image

• Options

Honking it down this morning but forced myself out and had a strangely pleasant ride even when my hub gear packed up and i ended up riding a high gear single speed for the last hour, treated myself for a job well done by buying a Whyte Kings Cross cyclocross bike got a nice bargain image

Its all coming together nicely at the moment i am definately speeding up for the same effort and the gut is nearly history image

• Options
    Did 3hrs yest in pouring freezing rain ran 7 miles today even had the sun on my back. Lovely day. 9 hrs training banked happy days.
  • Options

Good week for me... just popped over the 10hr mark with a bit of gym work thrown in...

Leg feeling much better, and started running useful distances again, rather than plods 'around the block'... and the long ride today was a proper treat in nicer weather, and really enjoyed it.

Next week looks complex in terms of fitting the training in... but where there's a will, there's a way!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

+1 for long ride treat in nice weather. I managed 50 miles.

My hearth rate monitor has been thrown to the back of the cupboard and i'm only working very loosely to Fink now.

• Options

7 miles off road in the woods this afternoon before work, I am logging that as a run session and a gym session, knee deep in mud and my shoes weighed twice what they did when I started!

Hoping to get a decent week in this week as it has been a bit hit & miss for the last few weeks what with one thing and another

• Options

9 1/2 hrs week banked. 3 bike (2 X 50min Turbo + 50mile road), 1 Run (12mile) & wait for it, wait for it...yep 2 X swim (1Km + 1.5Km). Got the boooody back in the water. Happy with that. Once again no jinx pls.

No measurements in my set-up, apart from time, at the moment. I will try the heart rate monitor again at some point.  I never seem to figure out all the stats and I get confused.

• Options

Ran 11.5 miles around Richmond Park this morning. Longest run in 9 months after fairly continuous injury. it's good to feel that I am on my way back.image