Options

Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• Options

Another successful week in the bag Malcs. Great if you manage to hit all the prescribed paces image

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Going well Malcs! RW just dropped through the letterbox. All I have to say is: Malcs - what a plank!!!image

• Options

Oh I was going to go out but I am going to wait for postie nowimage

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Simon - glad to hear I'm not the only one who enjoys the delights of hot on cold. I was getting some very strange looks across the dinner table yesterday.

Well done on getting that kind of mileage on just the 3 runs, that's very impressive!

Freemers - cheers. Wow, 16 sets of 200s is amazing. As you said, that's very quick too, nice one! Quite jealous of you being at 20 milers already and at that kind of pace too. Certainly bodes well with still loads of time to go.

I haven't done many progressive runs before so looking forward to the predicted high image

chickadee - thanks, yes can't complain - so far so good.

DS2 - oh great, I was hoping that shot wouldn't make the mag. I am now dreading seeing it. I hope they managed to do a photoshop job on my beetroot expression.

Mr P - Ha Ha image 

• Options

Hey, nice to see your thread ticking along so well, Malcs! Am really looking forward to following the journeys to Paris - hope we can all arrange a meet up when we get there. 

Well done to SupermanRuns for following the schedule on myasics too. I've cobbled my own together which started yesterday, but I think I need to visit the P&D to make sure there're enough long runs and mid week medium tempo runs...

After holding out on buying new running gear before Christmas/asics26.2 results I treated myself to...ADIDAS BOOST! Ha. Can't wait to wear them. Like pillows. 

• Options

Thanks Minni! What is your PB now? 

• Options

Malcs - it is great to read your posts and see how well you are doing with the training, also admire your bravery in posting your menus before the new year - having hosted 18 family members at our place on Sat and 30 runners yesterday, I have no intention of coming clean on what I have eaten!

Did Buntingford 10 miles yesterday - not particularly proud of 1:19:56 which was 2 mins slower than last year (and 4 mins slower than my 2011 time image ) However, it was quite icy being barely above freezing at the start, so took it very carefully, and suffered towards the end with hamstring/back/foot. Hearing Sarah's words that it is probably back-related, I have an appointment with a sports physio on Thurs to sort it out. The good news was that our ladies' team came 2nd in the Herts 10 mile champs and I was 2nd lady in the team so got a nice medal!

• Options

Malcs... lost my essay of a post!!!! So will sum this up again....

I note your body fat is 15%.. what is your weight & height?  Looking at your weekend eating I do see areas which I feel you could easily manage with a little motivation but could do with some more ammunition! Would you mind posting more food diaries (until Thursday). Try & be as honest as you can otherwise my advice may not that useful or even detrimental (I know New Year does not help!).

Is your Saturday morning breakfast typical of what you eat before racing...even a marathon? It would be good to get your race morning breakfast sorted early so you can practice before all park runs and other races between now and April 6th!

I also plan to write up an overview of my thoughts on carb loading and what to consider for race day as want to sow the seeds early!!!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hi Ruth!  3:15.48 at London.  My fastest marathon at 44!image 

• Options

Afternoon, just back from five easy miles, just having to get out whenever there is a break in the weather at the moment. It was foul this morning, but eased off a little after lunchtime. 

The runners world plan was a rest day today, but because of yesterday's enforced rest I've swapped them round. i often go to the gym on a Tuesday but they'll be shut tomorrow, and as I'm off I will do  a faster session. My RW plan says 3x1.5m fast, but I think I'll do the 3x1 mile in Malcs's plan.

• Options

Nice nine miles today first run in a long time with no rain happy days

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

KS - great to hear from you! Yes, it would be brilliant if we could meet up at some point, I would love to do that.

Congratulations on the new shoes! Best of luck with the training - really hope it goes well for you.

ArrowsLou - yes, eating is a bit skewed at this time of year. I'm certainly not on my normal routine. I've done ok over the last few days though I'm sure that has been influenced by the fact that I know I'll be posting it all here image

Well done on coming 2nd lady in the Herts 10 mile that's brilliant. More importantly well done on hosting so many people over the last couple of days, that's mighty impressive!

You're doing the right thing seeing someone early about your niggle early on. Let us know how it goes. I hope it's something that can be sorted quickly.

Minni - sub 3:15 this year for you, I have money on it! image

Mr P - I seem to have been very lucky with the weather lately, arriving back just as the downpour comes. As a result I think I'm due to get shafted any time soon image

I just did the 3 x 1 session - hope yours goes well!

Dd1969 - excellent, great to hear you were rain free image

• Options

what was your splits like malcs

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for your message. Need more ammunition? Should I take that as a compliment? image

No problem - I didn't record yesterday's intake but I should be able to remember what I had. I'll also record the rest of this week's eating as well. I could also post what a typical day's eating outside of the festive period would be like if that helps?

Weight is 73kg, height 177cm.

Breakfast on Saturday is indeed typical of a race day although pre. marathon I might also have slightly more cereal and a banana and some fluids as well. 

One question I had for you was about what to eat post workout. I have been told you should eat some protein within 30 mins of exercise. Is this any exercise or just the long runs and hard sessions? How important is this?

Recently I've been having a single egg scrambled on toast. In the past I've used 'Whey to Go' protein powder mixed with some yoghurt, frozen berries and banana, all blended. Are these ok? Any other options you'd suggest?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hi Seren - just coming with that image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

TODAY'S SESSION

Week3 - Tuesday

Intervals (mile repeats) 

6M of 1M jog, then 3 x 1M or 1600m at 10km pace (approx 7 mins) with 400m (or 3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

The sore throat was a bit worse yesterday so I was unsure whether I'd be ok for this session. However, on waking I felt ok. It was still sore but I didn't feel ill as such. 

This is a part of training that we all face at some point - you don't feel quite right and have to decide whether training will be better or worse for you in the long run. I'm not usually very good at judging this and tend to just go for it more often than not.

This occasion was no different so I headed out. It was quite mild which meant I wasn't swallowing lung fulls of cold air and the rain held off so it was quite a satisfying session. I found the going quite hard - closer to 5K effort than 10K but that may be just because I wasn't feeling 100%.

Just checked my splits and I was quite pleased to see I was almost bang on pace. The first mile was mostly downhill, the second was mostly flat and the third was over a hill. Given the terrain for each rep got progressively harder it was nice to see I kept the pace almost the same for each one. I did find that last one a toughie though image  

So that's my last run of 2013 done. Onwards and upwards for 2014 I hope!

Splits: 7:02, 7:02, 7:04

Run Summary: 6 miles in 48:23

• Options
    Great splits, especially as you were not feeling 100% image

Lou: well done on 2nd lady in your team. Conditions sounded pretty grim.

10 miles for me. sunny, cold and bloody windy again :-/
  • Options

Great session Malcs - perfect pacing image

Well done on the 10 miler Lou - running when it's icy is never fun and hard work. Hope your sports physio guy can sort out your back.

My final run for 2013 was 6 miles with 4 @ MP. I wimped out and did it on the treadmill, so could pace the MP well enough...funnily enough my splits were 7.24, 7.24, 7.24 and 7.24image  The first one felt hard but I seemed to settle into it and felt good overall, although running another 22 at that pace seems quite a long way off! But I remember saying exactly the same last year - you just have to trust that the training will work and come race day all will be well.

Hope everyone enjoys their NYE celebrations - we're doing......absolutely nothing. To be honest I've never been big on new year parties and quite often don't even stay away till midnight!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks chickadee and Freemers. Feeling a bit zonked now but glad I got the session in. If I end up going downhill then I'll feel better missing tomorrow's session than today's.

Freemers - absolutely spot on 3:15 splits there! Always good to hear what others are thinking at this point in training. Reassuring to know that others are feeing the same about MP at this stage too. Have you already broken 3:15 before?

Nothing wrong with a quiet NYE. We're at home this year for a change. The kids are planning some kind of mass game-a-thon. I thought I'd done my hard work for the day! Will hopefully make the bells if I pace myself well image

chickadee - well done on getting out in the wind. I think I prefer top get a soaking than have a gale in my face for a whole run.

What's your marathon target for this year?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

This post is going to sound like a bit of a plug for Asics but I can honestly say that nobody has prompted me to say anything, neither am I crawling for more gear - honest guv! image

With the recent wind and rain I've been using two tops that I got from the store day and they have been absolutely brilliant. In the past I've always bought the cheapest of the cheap but by spending a bit more I can now see that these 'technical features' are not all gimmicks.

Long Sleeve Jersey

http://www.asics.co.uk/Shop/Running/LONG-SLEEVE-JERSEY-TOP/p/0010174079.0904

/members/images/448713/Gallery/100074_0904_0010174079_q_front_primary.jpg

Tiger T-Shirt

http://www.asics.co.uk/Shop/Running/TIGER-T-SHIRT/p/0010174860.0904

/members/images/448713/Gallery/339903_0904_0010174860_q_front_primary.jpg

I've been amazed how wind proof the two tops have been and they've also been great at moving moisture away too. Whether you go for Asics or another brand it does seem that it's worth spending the money for the better performing kit.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

MONDAY GRUB

Breakfast

Porridge 70g dry weight made with half s/s milk and water + dessert spoon of maple syrup - yum.

Cup of tea

Lunch

3 slices roast pork, peas, broccoli, carrots, roast potatoes (a fair few if I'm honest) + gravy

Individual M&S toffee xmas pudding + scoop of vanilla ice cream & splash of cream

Cup of tea

Car Journey

6 fruit pastels (to keep the sore throat from drying outimage )

Half an M&S simply food tuna mayo sandwich

Small amount of water

Dinner

Two slices of wholemeal toast with baked beans

Cup of tea

Evening

Small slice of chocolate cake (home made - Mrs Malcs insisted I stress thatimage )

Cup of tea

Cup of coffee + mini crunchie and mini chocolate buttons (Mrs Malcs had no buttons, she insisted I stress that tooimage )

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ruth - I thought it might be helpful if I posted what a more typical week day would look like for me. Over Christmas etc. I don't quite eat the same.

TYPICAL DAY'S GRUB

Breakfast

Large bowl of mixed cereal with s/s milk OR

70g dry weight of porridge made with half s/s milk and water + dessert spoon of syrup

Glass of water

Mid Morning

Two slices of toast + generous spread of marmalade

Cup of tea

Lunch

2-3 rolls with cheese and salad (lettuce, cucumber + tomato) plus maybe low fat salad cream

Low fat yoghurt with some home made museli on top

Afternoon

Hot cross bun + butter

Cup of tea

Dinner

Pasta and homemade tomato sauce OR

Beef casserole + 2 veg and mash OR

Roast chicken pieces in BBQ sauce with 2 veg and home made oven baked potato wedges 

Once a week we might have frozen fish + oven chips with baked beans or shop bought pizza with baked potato and salad (I'd have 1/3 of a medium pizza)

Usually have water with this

Afters is often crumble and custard or chocolate sponge (home made) or ice cream.

Evening

Cup of tea/coffee (coffee is made with half milk and half water)

Chocolate biscuit or slice of home made cake.

• Options

Malcs - My PB is 3.16.20, so not hit the 3.15 yet, but determined to give it a good go. I keep telling myself it's less than 90 seconds to find over 26 miles, which sounds nothing but so much can go wrong!

Thanks for the tips on the Asics tops....I need some new t-shirts so might look one of those out in the sales.

• Options
    I like those shirts!! You can't ever have enough gearimage

I'm sure you'll crack 3:15 this year Freemers.

Malcs: my PB is 3:24 and I'm hoping to go sub 3:20 in Boston. Having said that just running again is such a liberation and if I don't PB it won't be a huge issue. I had a nasty back injury in September and my GP said I would probably never run again image However, the neurosurgeon I was referred to had other ideas and he fixed me up brilliantly. My training paces now are slightly better than same time last year. Sooooo, anything is possible image
  • Options

Excellent session Malcs - hitting ther times exactly as required and also well done for doing an excellent job on the thread so far and promoting Asics too!

Re sore throats - need to be careful. I usually tend to train through and have only had one bad reaction in 40 plus years of running but it depends on how strong the symptoms and how you feel. speed sessions are probably ok - where the damage lies may be longer more intensive runs such as half-marathons.

It's probably not worth over pushing it next few days and running slower than suggested on recovery and easy days.

I did a hill session today as track closed and we had a group of 20 or so.

It's a very steep hill and even though running ok and usually towards the front of our group of 20, was barely averaging 9 minute miles so worth noting, no real point in monitoring pace if hill is steep but if you do the hill regularly, just compare it against your previous times.

We did 40 secs then 30 secs, 20 secs, 10 secs - all getting quicker as warm up then a 5 minute continuous circuit on less steep part of hill and then 10 hills averaging around 80 secs, starting every 3 and a half minutes. Felt surprisingly good and tried to hold back a bit as will probably do a parkrun tomorrow.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Freemers - wow, you are so close to sub 3:15 - I reckon 2014 is the year for sure. Are you doing VLM with Minni?

chickadee - blimey you have been through it. That is amazing that you're back and training so well just a few months on. Inspirational stuff!

Steve - many thanks indeed. I'll keep an eye on the throat and see how things go this week. I'm not as worried about the progressive run as today's one so hopefully if I can get to the w/e it'll have eased off ready for the long run.

Interesting stuff on the hill session (as always). Hope the parkrun goes well for you tomorrow.

Really appreciate the time you've taken to help me and others out here. I'm feeling very positive about 2014.

On that note, hope everyone has a great night tonight and all the very best for 2014!

• Options

Malcs - Nice intervals, and bang on pace, and your diet looks quite healthy already, but I'm sure Ruth can tweek it for you.

A large meat feast pizza for lunch put paid to any faster paces in my planned 8miler. So to avoid puking, kept the pace easy 9.17 ave and made it longer at 9.9m, so miles under the belt. Quiet NYE here toimage.

• Options

Malcs, an impressive set of splits for your 1m repeats, hope to be that speedy one day 

• Options

Morning, Happy New Year everyone!

lost my post yesterday...I did the same session as Malcs, there is a perfect loop here that gives you a mile plus A few hundred yards for recovery. I found it tough, and after the second rep walked for a bit to recover, but I hit the pace OK. tried to concentrate on form and run light and definitely feel like I could run again later.

• Options
    Happy New Year everyone image

Quiet New Year's Eve seems to be the done thing. We didn't do much either and only had a few lager shandies each. I enjoyed running with Mr Chick at his pace today.

Mr. P: I'm pretty sure that a walk break between hard mile reps won't do any harm.