Options

Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• Options

Great run Malcs - perfect pacing and everything going well.

I agree at the moment that running that fast for 13 miles may not be feasible but at this stage of the schedule it doesn't have to be. A few miles now is fine and you only need to run that pace for 13 miles when you will be much fitter and stronger and you will have the stimulus of being in a race and hopefully slightly fresher and very slightly tapered.

Not sure I could have run that fast today - having done something fastish yesterday today all I could do was 11 very slow tired miles at around 9 minute miling.

• Options
    Happy Christmas everyone! Lots of good running going on, does no one take a break for Chtistmas?! Stayed with my parents in Kent for a couple of days. Lots of flooding everywhere but managed to find a dryish 9 miles on the road this morning with my dad on his bike. Averaged 7m47 per mile, faster than planned as my dad was getting cold going so slowly on the bike! Parkrun planned for Saturday. I'm sure I will be slower given the amount of food I have consumed, but will be good to burn off a bit of energy before spending the day with the inlaws!
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Minni (& Seren) - ahhh, got it, thanks! Not Drunk and Delerious then, phewphimage

It did feel quite hard yes - more like 5K effort. Well done on your 12!

Steve - many thanks. And thanks for the reassurance about the HM pace too. Very interesting to hear that even sub 3 runners have to run at mere mortals pace sometimes.

Slowkoala - nice speed there in the puddles! 

Best of luck with your parkrun - do you have a target time you're aiming for?

• Options
    Happy Christmas all.

Well the festivities seem to have curtailed internet usage, but its good to see that there is still plenty of running going on.

I had a rest on the big day, then 4 mile tempo yesterday. Plan was to go MP through to threshold, but finished a bit too quick ( stop sniggering at the back) and ended up at about 10k pace.

Looks like the foul weather is back, so, thankfully, just an easy 4 today.
  • Options
    Hi Malcs, just using the parkrun as a speed session so will try and stick to under 6:45 pace. There's a 10 yo girl at my local one that often gets 1st female. Last week she ran 19:33!
  • Options

Morning everyone - hope you all had a great Christmas, in between the running of course!

Malcs - love the story with the wrapping paper.  Did you ever think your wife might have done it on purpose just so you'd have to take over?image

I'm still feeling a bit under the weather with my cold. I did get to the parkrun, and got round OK, not a brilliant time though and it felt a lot harder than it should have.  Loads of people doing it in fancy dress, and I'm glad at least I wasn't beaten by the two running together in a camel costume....

8 steady yesterday also felt hard and had be coughing my guts up by the end.  Today is meant to be intervals but I will probably skip them and just run a few easy miles instead.  There is always tomorrow!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

TODAY'S SESSION

Week2 - Friday

Rest

This seems to have fallen nicely on another bad weather day. I plan to do the strength circuit and a bit of stretching and rolling.

Looking forward to tomorrow's Parkrun!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

lou - nice one! No sniggering here image 

Slowkoala - blimey 19:33 for a 10 year old, quite amazing! My 11 year old is about 6mins slower. 

Sub 6:45 pace is very tidy indeed. I'm *hoping* to do something similar but it'll depend on how I feel and conditions on the day. Hopefully the wind will have dropped but it will no doubt be a little soft under foot. 

Freemers - ha image I am too often labeled as a control freak so there was no chance of her handing the wrapping over to me!

Sorry to hear the the cold is lingering but it's always a positive to finish a race ahead of any pantomime animals image 

Nice that you can still get out for 8 despite feeling under the weather.

• Options

Lucky you, Malcs. Enjoy the rest image

ArrowsLou wrote (see)

Malcs - well done on your pacing today, what happened on the middle one? - you speeded upimage

I did a slow 5 miles yesterday as it was very icy, but beautiful with the sun on the fields, then averaged 7:32 for my 3 middle miles today which is a teeny bit faster than my HM pace, but somewhat depressingly I have no idea how I actually ran a half at that pace!

I often wonder how hard race pace can feel in training. I think race numbers have a magic spell on them that makes race pace suddenly doableimage

Slowkoala wrote (see)
    Hi Malcs, just using the parkrun as a speed session so will try and stick to under 6:45 pace. There's a 10 yo girl at my local one that often gets 1st female. Last week she ran 19:33!

image  blimey!!

• Options
    Thanks Steve and Rudy for the reassurance on HM pace - I like the idea of the magic, but won't rely on it! I know what you mean though. My hamstring feels a bit tight today, so I shall enjoy the rest and probably take it easy tomorrow with a short loosener as am meant to be racing on Sunday.
  • Options

Afternoon all image

Having had to mix this weeks sessions up, I did yesterdays session today Malcs and I agree, it felt tougher than I imagined it would. My 3 mile HM paces went 7.23, 7.21, 7.25. I was feeling it in the last one. My question again is how quick should the pre & post jog be? I did two 9.30 min miles before and after, is this too slow??

• Options

Don't worry about HMP feeling hard at this stage in the game. I usually train to the P&D schedules and year on year I'm bricking it re. tempo run in week one ...  4 miles of it and it hurts!!

I think the warm up and cool down miles should feel comfortable. No point in punishing yourself there. As long as the key miles are run at the key pace you'll be fine. What I find helpful before any tempo or speed work is a bunch of strides in the last warm up mile to loosen you up and get your body ready to rock 'n roll. Strides are just short accelerations over 80-100m, no flat out sprints. By doing them, the tempo stuff doesn't quite come as such a massive surprise to the bodyimage

• Options

I did a 5 miler today with club and legs felt totally dead................might not bvother entering the 5 mile mile race on sunday now as not worth wasting the money if i can't race

• Options

Looks like everything is going to plan Malc hope you (& everyone else has had a good Christmas) hope Santa brought everyone lots of running goodies, forget all the expensive stuff my best pressie was a running journal Luvvvvv it!!! image

chickadee - good idea on the strides will give that one a go.

Superman- I've started going for about 9/9.15 warm up/cool down but also I go off how it feels, I try to keep my breathing steady and build it up a bit towards the end of the warm up. image

• Options

Seren nos- do you foam roll?? Is Sunday a tough 5 miler?

• Options

no problems with the legs kirsty apart from they were tired......I massage them when they need it...today.just no energy at  all

sundays race is lovely and flat so i wanted sub 40 mins.today i struggled to do 52 mins for 5 milesimage

• Options

Oh no sometimes it doesn't go to plan, head says one thing legs say another!! so frustrating. I've been riding after tougher runs, not far just 10/20 miles but it seems to be helping. I'm never off the foam roller lol image

Bet today was windy for you though?? don't think anyone escaped the blustery weather!! 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Superman - I normally do a 3 mile warm up before any faster stuff and this gets progressively faster usually finishing at just a bit slower than marathon pace. I usually then do about 5 sets of strides then into the intervals.   I think it's really important to start the warm up slow. One of the clubs I run for start their sessions with 1 mile warm up that's at my HMP! I have to get there early and do a couple of miles first otherwise I'm done for. 

• Options

Thanks Chickadee Its nice to get some reassurance at this stage of the training plan. I am very much a confidence runner. I like the strides advice. 

Good luck Sunday Seren Nos 

Minni Thanks for the tip, again, especially the strides, I like that, I do normally feel a lot looser after strides. I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying Malcs schedule. 

Kirsty That journal could be the start of a best seller image

ArrowsLou Hope the hamstring is okay after the rest day. 

Happy running all. image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Superman et al - I don't know if you listen to marathon talk but there's a great interview this week with Pete Pfitzinger of P&D fame talking about marathon training and gives a good explanation of strides.  Also talks about effort of paces at this stage, ie should you be doing HMP at what you are at now or what you want to be in 4 months time. Well worth a listen.

• Options

Malcs.. I remember you! Deep fat fryer notedimage

Congrats, this will be fun working with you!!!!

I will be posting on your thread (but may silently lurk at other times!)  a couple of times a week usually Sunday or Monday and Thursday or Friday.

To get us started would be good for you to post what you eat alongside the times you eat over the weekend.......

Enjoy park run tomorrow. 

Hello to all  usual suspects on this thread...looking forward to all the posts and hope you all had a lovely xmas. 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I've just seen Ruth posting on another forum, so getting in quick with this one - I followed Ruth's carbo loading strategy for VLM last year and had the best stomach marathon ever!  Thank you Ruth!  

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Evening all!

Blimey - been busy on here. 

ArrowsLou - take it easy on that hamstring! Good luck for Buntingford on Sunday. Not sure I could handle a 10K right now.

SupermanRuns - nice going. I've been doing about 9-9:30 pace for the warm up/down jog. I've also been doing some quicker bursts towards the end of the warm up mile but probably not properly so the tips here will come in handy.

chickadee & Minni - thanks for the tips and info, most useful!

Seren - did you decide whether to race or not? As someone said earlier you know it's completely different when you're racing.

Kirsty - great to hear from you. Sounds like you're having a great Christmas. This Journal business - I assume that's for logging runs?

I've never done this before but I'm using the MyASICS web site to do it now and it's great. Before anyone says anything, no I'm not being prompted to push this! image Whilst I'm not following the training programme prescribed, the logging features are really good.

Not trying to persuade you off your new toy though but anyone else reading may want to check out the electronic alternative. Since working with computers I have lost the ability to write (can barely sign my name now) so electronic is the only way to go if I ever want to look at it again image

Ruth - ah, I was kind of hoping last year may have slipped your memory but as that doesn't appear to be the case I am now filled with a not insignificant amount of fear and dread.

I think Ady will be noting your arrival and have a big smile on his face. 

So does this mean Christmas is now over? I'm wondering whether I should go on a chocolate binge this evening in anticipation of all the goodies being taken away image

Joking aside, I am quite looking forward to seeing what you think of my 'diet' and it is of course great to speak with you again.

I can echo Minni's comments on the carbo loading which completely changed my marathon experience last spring. I will hold on to the anticipation of said carbo loading when, in the weeks to come, I am munching on quinoa and pearl barley image

Request noted re. this weekend's consumption - please no laughing when it gets posted!

• Options

yes agree strides are a very good way of proceeding speedwork of faster running. Our training group always precedes the track session with 800m of faster straights and slower bends.

Good luck with parkrun - which one? Bromley is still flooded but presume Orpington ok.

I did a sluggish 5k today at Hyde Park - was windy but much slower early on than in last week's cross-country.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks Steve, I'm still in Wales so doing the Llyn Llech Owain near Llanelli - try saying that withount tying your tongue in knots image

Quite a nice course - mostly paths but a few muddier bits. One moderate hill. Two laps in total.

Wind has been a nightmare here too - have my fingers crossed for tomorrow. May have wind and rain!

• Options

I will definitely be interested in the carb loading bit, think that's one bit I haven't got right yet.

It's the runner's journal by Sean Keogh, axis books from Waterstones its very good bit geeky but I'm a running geek so it's perfect. Luckily my park run is flood free but never escape the wind! Hot Toddy race on Sunday a tough 5 miles followed by.... you've guessed it a hot toddy, YUK!! rather have your chocolate Malc. image

Superman -  you might be onto something it could be the 'Bridget Jones' of the  running World ;0)

• Options
    Great to have Ruth on board image

Nutrition is my weakness so definitely looking forward to professional advice.

I started running so I could eat moreimage but now I fear I'm not eating enough, especially after hard training sessions :-/

Hope wind and rain subside in time for everyone's parkruns, hot toddy races and long runsimage
  • Options

Beautiful bright morning here, just did 10 miles as we will be out all day tomorrow.

I got a Waterstones voucher for Christmas, I will have a look at that book.

Malcs rather you than me on the fessing up the eating thing, I've just had a Galaxy.

• Options
    How was the parkrun, Malcs? I had a few logistical issues - Garmin was on some weird setting so had no idea of pace, forgot my barcode and laces came completely undone in last km, first time this has ever happened! But shouted at my son who was watching on the route and he was able to go back to the car and find the barcode and give it to me at the end. Time was 21:02, so 3 seconds short of target 6:45 pace which I'm pleased with as I had no idea how fast I was going. I actually quite enjoyed running on feel as opposed to relying on the Garmin.
  • Options

Parkrun this morning followed by a windy 8 mile run home - running club beer night tonight so I needed the miles !!