Options

Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Can anyone point me in the direction of the sub 4 thread i seem to be a bit lost.

Happy New Year Malcs,to you and your possie. If your thread is anything to go by, workload and speed, I'm backing you for a sub 3h. I'm still several pages back, perhaps I should just wait until the film version.

My training is going.... opps is that the time, must dash.
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Hope you had a good night last night whatever you were doing. Ours was a strange mix of the Simpsons, Mario Kart, Don't Panic and Just Dance with an Indian banquet slotted in the middle image

Simon - many thanks. Well done on managing any run at all after a large meat feast. Very few of us have stomachs like Dean Karnazes!

StewartC - cheers, I'm quite surprised to be that quick myself. I do seem to keep making improvements and if I can do it anyone can. What would be your 10K pace at the moment?

Mr P - nice one! It's quite a tough session, I certainly found it hard. 

chickadee -  is Mr Chick a slower runner then? Is he as into running as you are?

PC - ha ha image So how is the training going? I expect you to pop back and fill us in!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

TODAY'S SESSION

Week3 - Wednesday

Recovery Run

6M steady (approx 8:30 miles in 51 mins)

Today was a bit of a write off. The sore throat that had been lingering in the background since Friday finally decided to go nuclear on me and I now have a full blown cold. Didn't feel great from the outset so decided to skip the run today - can't see it doing me any good at all, probably would do more harm if I'm honest.

I had attempted to knock the sore throat out of my system with a few glasses of Prosecco last night and at the time of retiring for bed I actually felt not bad. However, it was clearly just the alcohol numbing the pain as it was a completely different story this morning image

So instead I ended up going to Bluewater to see the Hobbit with the family and spent most of the film coughing and spluttering, drowning out the rustling of sweet papers and popcorn noise. Never ceases to amaze me what people will bring with them to watch a film. One guy I saw had a full blown meal.

Afterwards we had to do a bit of shopping. I'm counting that hour of hell as 'time on my feet' and an exercise in pain management image

Hopefully I'll feel better for tomorrow's progressive run as I don't really want to miss that too. Will have to wait and see what tomorrow holds.

First missed session but there was always going to be one or two and I'm happy enough that it's just a recovery run and one quite early in training too.

• Options

Happy New Year everyone!! image

Sorry to hear you aren't well Malcs, I think you made the right call - re not running, not so sure about the shopping though! Focus on getting better and don't worry about it - you have been looking really strong with all your times.

• Options

Malcs - Shopping with loved ones, strengthens your mental toughness alsoimage.

• Options

Happy new year -

Malcs - yes best to miss a session like today and hopefully you will feel better tomorrow - at least weather looks better then. Don't overdo the shopping.

did parkrun slowly. set off to do one at 9am over 15 miles away but weather bad and was painfully slow on bike and just missed it but after watching did another one at 10am 5 miles or so away and almost wish I'd missed that as was wet and windy and felt awful and course very slippery and muddy and wasn't quick though looks like many runners were around 2 minutes down on normal.

• Options

Hi Malcs, happy new year,  I would say my pace on current fitness for a 10k would be around 8mm, I ran @8:16mm form my 5 mile LT run yesterday, hope to see that come down over the coming weeks, sorry too hear your not well, hope it improves quickly

• Options
    Happy New Year to everyone.

Hope your cold clears up soon Malcs. Don't worry re missing a session - better that than getting more ill.

I had to cut my run short yesterday as my calf hurt a bit still following my first 20 miler on Sunday. Did 9 miles today at fairly steady pace (av 8:20) which felt OK (except for the wind, rain and very sore head from last night's party). I got back into my PJs as soon as I got back image

I wasn't going to make a NY resolution but decided on my run today to give up booze for 2014! It was partly prompted by my 7 yo not understanding why we couldn't drive the car home at 3am this morning instead of having to walk.
  • Options

Don't worry Malcs, if you're going to get a cold, this is the best time for it, you'll be immune for months now.

I did 6 miles at 8:30's funnily enough today, so you don't have toimage

• Options

Haha, Mr. Puffy - wish I'd known. You could have done my nasty hill reps tooimage

Malcs: Mr. Chick is a lazy gitimage. If I wasn't kicking his butt he would do sweet f. a.  ....  I force him to run because I know it's good for him image

Hope you can shake that cold quickly. Missing a week now is no big deal, really.

6.5 miles in cold, wet, windy and generally miserable conditions, including 20 hill reps (12 going fast uphill, slow downhill and 8 the other way round) image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I feel the benefit of the day's rest yesterday. Still not 100% but feel a bit better. Now faced with the dilemma as to what to do today. I am tempted to try a shorter slower run and see how it goes.

ArrowsLou - I'm not so sure about the shopping either!

Simon - ha image Indeed it *can* strengthen mental toughness you or it can turn you into a vegetable. I think it's the latter in my case. 

Steve - wow, that's commitment just missing one parkrun and then cycling on to do another one. Shame the weather was so awful. 

StewartC - that's a decent pace, I reckon if you can run 8's you can get yourself to 7's with the right training.

Slowkoala - Well done on getting out on New Year's Day especially considering the weather was awful and you had a sore head. How is the calf now?

Giving up booze eh? That's impressive. I don't think I could do that. I always ramp it down during training with just the odd drink here or there but not sure I could give up completely.

Mr P - you are such a hero, many thanks image Are you available to do shopping trips on my behalf as well?image

chickadee - lol image don't hold back, just say it as it is, I'm sure Mr Chick won't mindimage 

20 hill reps - blimey!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

TODAY'S SESSION

Week3 - Thursday

Speedwork

6M progression run – starting at 9s and each mile faster with last two miles inside 8s

As I'm still not feeling great I may just do a 3M jog and see how it goes. If I feel good I'll try and do some faster miles. 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ruth - I haven't posted food intake for NYE and NYD as it was pretty abnormal with NYE being a party day and NYD not feeling well. I will resume today and Friday. Hopefully my earlier post about typical day's intake will give you a better idea of my normal consumption.

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Hope you're back on form soon Malcs x 

I went to see The Hobbit on New Years Eve, loved it! I ran 6miles in the howling wind and rain yesterday.. very slowly!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks Jen. I feel bit better now but still need to get the pesky blighter completely out of my system. 

Well done on your 6 - I know what the wind can be like down your neck of the woods which makes it all the more impressive! What's on the menu for the weekend?

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

lower mileage this weekend Males,  got 14+5. I'm trying not to look at the 24+5 the following weekend! !

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

TODAY'S SESSION

Week3 - Thursday

I was in two minds whether to run today. I felt a bit better this morning but the cold and sore throat were still there. The biggest worry in these situations is making things worse and missing more training but sometimes a light jog can improve things so I decided to go for it and see how it went.

I set out with the aim of doing 3 miles at 9mm pace. I was keen to keep my breathing light and at that pace I achieved just that. Two miles in I felt pretty good so I decided that this could be Wednesday's recovery run but at 30s per mile slower.

I may have something different to say tomorrow but so far it seems to have been a good decision. I feel better now, several hours after running, than I did this morning. Pace was target +/- 10s on each mile split but I was more bothered about perceived effort which I think I managed well.

The weather today helped alot - very mild for January and plenty of sunshine. Sadly the calm before the storm if the forecasters are to be believed.

Tomorrow is a rest day so hopefully that'll give me a bit more time to get this cold out of the system ready for my 13 on Saturday.

Run summary:  6 miles in 54 minutes exactly image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Jen - with your schedule I would never look more than a day ahead image

• Options
    Minni wrote (see)

Hi Ruth!  3:15.48 at London.  My fastest marathon at 44!image 

Well done... what is your aim this year? If you can PB at 44 you can at 45!

• Options

Malcs - well done on doing what you did - looks a good decision on paper and if you are going to just get one cold, this is perfect timing!

unlike yesterday (and looking rubbish rest of week), today was a glorious spring-like day and enjoyed  a relatively gentle grass speed session with a small group - grass not too wet.

Last couple of days have been experimenting with a later afternoon jog. Yesterday in the rain did 3.5 miles in rain and wind and while I knew it wasn't fast, surprised to find it was 10:30 pace. This afternoon ran 3.5M to gym and was slightly (minute a mile) quicker but worringly it didn't feel slow though two minutes down on most of my long Sunday race pace. 

• Options
    Malcs wrote (see)

Ruth - I thought it might be helpful if I posted what a more typical week day would look like for me. Over Christmas etc. I don't quite eat the same.

TYPICAL DAY'S GRUB

Breakfast

Large bowl of mixed cereal with s/s milk OR

70g dry weight of porridge made with half s/s milk and water + dessert spoon of syrup

Glass of water

Mid Morning

Two slices of toast + generous spread of marmalade

Cup of tea

Lunch

2-3 rolls with cheese and salad (lettuce, cucumber + tomato) plus maybe low fat salad cream

Low fat yoghurt with some home made museli on top

Afternoon

Hot cross bun + butter

Cup of tea

Dinner

Pasta and homemade tomato sauce OR

Beef casserole + 2 veg and mash OR

Roast chicken pieces in BBQ sauce with 2 veg and home made oven baked potato wedges 

Once a week we might have frozen fish + oven chips with baked beans or shop bought pizza with baked potato and salad (I'd have 1/3 of a medium pizza)

Usually have water with this

Afters is often crumble and custard or chocolate sponge (home made) or ice cream.

Evening

Cup of tea/coffee (coffee is made with half milk and half water)

Chocolate biscuit or slice of home made cake.

Evening Malcs

Yes agree your day to day normal eating is much better but I have a few suggestions/points to consider but all points up for discussion and we can add to increase choices as we go:

Your breakfast of porridge equals round 360kcal with milk versus breakfast of muesli, all bran & weetabix which could easily be as much as 700kcal. The mixed cereal breakfast has loads of carbs so for race morning this may be a good option but I think your porridge may be a better option 5 days a week and perhaps larger breakfast 2 days or reduce the all bran to around 25g and muesli to 30g and continue with the single weetabix. I would love to see some colour added to your breakfast so perhaps some fruit??? Just the one.. handful of dried fruit in porridge or some fresh fruit after/with cereal or on the way to work?

Add piece of fruit to mid-morning snack but a different coloured fruit to your breakfast ..the more colour the more range of vitamins and minerals you will have in your diet and this is important for marathon training! You are expecting a lot from your body so you must help it as best to you.

Limit lunch to two rolls (as would like to move the extra calories form the thirds roll to a bigger supper snack). Do you eat any other fillings other than cheese?  Add loads of salad. The rest of your lunch is fine!

Mid-afternoon – what else do you eat other than this? I take it this is your pre training snack most days? How long do you have this before intense runs? Could you have a couple of slices of bread or bagel with & honey and pot of low fat yoghurt as a better fuelling option?

Dinner – all good! Make sure lots of colour form different vegetable over the week (I will go into detail why this is important over the next couple of weeks).

Before bed:

Suggest cut the biscuits and cake or limit to weekends and have a higher carb/protein snack... a bowl of cereal (although around 50-60g would be sufficient) or 2 pieces of fruit chopped up and pour over a low fat yogurt.  You are getting nothing really from the biscuit to help you train if you look at your diet as a whole.

What was your sun exposure like over the summer? Just wondering if you stocked up on vi

• Options

Continued....

What was your sun exposure like over the summer? Just wondering if you stocked up on vitamin D...did you get out for 20minutes of sunlight most days between 11-3pm?

• Options

Physio says no running for a week to let my hamstring recover properly - that will teach me to do a HIIT class! Then gradually ease back in, fortunately coinciding with my return to Delhi for 2 weeks where it is warm but difficult to run. It'll make a dent in my schedule, but hey ho these things happen and have to get it sorted. (Also have exercises for lack of mobility in big toe!)  

• Options
    Malcs wrote (see)

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for your message. Need more ammunition? Should I take that as a compliment? image

No problem - I didn't record yesterday's intake but I should be able to remember what I had. I'll also record the rest of this week's eating as well. I could also post what a typical day's eating outside of the festive period would be like if that helps?

Weight is 73kg, height 177cm.

Breakfast on Saturday is indeed typical of a race day although pre. marathon I might also have slightly more cereal and a banana and some fluids as well. 

One question I had for you was about what to eat post workout. I have been told you should eat some protein within 30 mins of exercise. Is this any exercise or just the long runs and hard sessions? How important is this?

Recently I've been having a single egg scrambled on toast. In the past I've used 'Whey to Go' protein powder mixed with some yoghurt, frozen berries and banana, all blended. Are these ok? Any other options you'd suggest?

Hi Malcs,

Yes best recovery is 10-20g of protein & as a very general guideline 50g of carbs (this varies person to person).  So that would mean in practical terms: 2 eggs and 2 slices of toast and a banana  or 150ml of fruit juice would have easily 20plus grams of protein and over 50g of carbs or  60g bowl of cereal and milk is also perfect as is your whey protein and fruit mix (except a  more expensive option!). Other good options are beans on toast or pint of milk and large banana or bagel 100g of cottage cheese and small fruit or around 500ml low fat milkshake so lots of options and I could list loads more.... It is most important after intense or prolonged runs but I would try and eat after each session as soon as you can... your breakfast, lunch and dinner would all meet your cover needs so if running then eating lunch or dinner soon after this can be your recovery food. You diet has loads of good bits and it will be just tweaking things for youimage

• Options

Ruth - It's annoying when it stops you typing half way through. Haven't you got some insider contactsimage. Do you think RW will pay for the Team to go to the Caribbean to top up their vit D, to help with their Pb's?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ruth - many thanks, that's brilliant.

I hadn't realised how calorific the cereal and museli was. In the winter I quite like having the porridge so no problem switching to that on a more regular basis. Adding some fruit I can deal with too.

The hot cross bun mid-afternoon is not a pre training snack. I have it mainly because when kids from school and they are desperate for food when they get in and when I make them HCBs I can't resist having one myself image

I work from home so in the week I almost always run between 11:30 and 1:30. As a result my toast and marmalade (plus your suggested piece of fruit) would be my pre-workout snack, eaten about an hour before running.

Lunch would then be my recovery food but I am quite bad at having this straight away and often wait until after stretching, checking emails, showering and checking emails againimage As suggested I will now have this as soon as possible after running.

On the weekend I do my long runs in the morning an hour after having had some cereal. I'm a bit better at getting food down me straight after these (my whey protein fruit shake usually comes in here). I do often crave bread and peanut butter after a long run.

Re. sun exposure, I had loads in the summer because I was running during the day. I still get plenty in the summer (when there is sun to be exposed to of course).

I'd be interested in hearing more post workout recovery suggestions. I have used that Friji milkshake in carbo loading before, is that ok?

Sad to see the biscuits and cake go but I'm willing to make that sacrifice, especially if I get to eat cereal in the evenings image  Once training ramps up I always start to feel hungry in the evenings but in the past I've felt guilty about having carbs before bed. Nice to know it's acceptable.

Thanks again Ruth!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

ArrowsLou - ouch, that's a bummer as you'd got off to a flying start. I think we all understand your frustration. 

Hmm, running in Delhi eh? As long as it's your legs running and not the other kind of runs you'll be fineimage

Simon - Cancel what I just said about getting plenty of sun this summer. For the sake of the programme I'd be happy to go anywhere where the sun makes even a brief appearance. If that's the Caribbean then so be it. Asics, when do we leave? image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)

Malcs - well done on doing what you did - looks a good decision on paper and if you are going to just get one cold, this is perfect timing!

unlike yesterday (and looking rubbish rest of week), today was a glorious spring-like day and enjoyed  a relatively gentle grass speed session with a small group - grass not too wet.

Last couple of days have been experimenting with a later afternoon jog. Yesterday in the rain did 3.5 miles in rain and wind and while I knew it wasn't fast, surprised to find it was 10:30 pace. This afternoon ran 3.5M to gym and was slightly (minute a mile) quicker but worringly it didn't feel slow though two minutes down on most of my long Sunday race pace. 

Thanks Steve. I'm still feeling ok now (no relapse yet) so if I get more improvement tomorrow I'll be well happy.

I have a habit of picking up whatever bug is going round and with two little nippers bringing every disease under the sun back from school with them it'll be a miracle if I don't pick up anything else. Fingers crossed though.

I've never managed to get on with running in the afternoons. Are you doing this in addition to running in the morning as well? Interesting to see that even the speed demons run slower miles from time to time. 

• Options

Rest for me today...three consecutive runs is rare for me, but funnily enough Malcs I think the opportunity to run in the daytime rather than evening has been a good thing, also getting an extra hour or so's sleep has helped.

recovery drink...I like to grate chocolate into milk image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

How much chocolate Mr P?image

Wonder what Ruth would think of that? I'm thinking it's probably not top of her long list but secretly hoping I'm wrong image