Options

My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-3 Roger

Comments

• Options

Good to hear you are going well KR and that you are feeling fresher Roger. Important you are feeling fresher on this stage of the taper.

I wish I could run gentle and run 7:20s even when I'm in sub-3 shape which i'm most definitely not.

I have a xc race to do Tuesday at world masters and then if that goes alright I might do the half-marathon Sunday. I wouldn't have done either but entered ages ago while fit and GB only have 3-4 in our age group.

• Options
    Good luck Steve, I hope it goes well.
  • Options
    Nice fast 400's today at mile pace. I tried to keep them under 80 s.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/467490225
  • Options

Good luck with the XC Steve.

A good set of reps there Roger, with the 1 minute recoveries. Just setting out in an hour to do mine down the Park. It might even be light still!

• Options
    Enjoy KR.

How did the xc go Steve?
  • Options

Hi all, This is my first contribution to this thread this year! I followed the sub 3 thread last year but failed the sub 3 but got a new pb of 3 04 so was reasonably happy especially as a 53 year OLD, getting older !

I honestly thought I was destined never to reach sub 3 as four minutes is still a big gap. 

I trained hard on my speed during the summer and resumed marathon training for another try at Abingdon last autumn. Delighted with my 2hr 58 which I would contribute mainly to the speed training and intensity. I am also a big fan of beetroot shots that had a positive impact on race day. Worth a try to give you an edge!

I'm training for a 2hr 55 at London this year and with the right conditions could be a possibility having just completed 10 x 800 at 2' 53 with 2' recovery between each rep. Commonly known as Yasso 800' although they advocate a longer recovery same as the effort.

I really hope you manage to get your sub 3 dream roger, the feeling is quite overwhelming during the final miles knowing you're going TO DO IT!!

Good luck!

• Options

Hi Roger

I take it a past ECG picked your bundle up? My understanding is that you can be healthy in all other ways, I take it that is you? You should listen to advice! I am glad to hear that you are listening to your body. I agree with Rennie;  all of us on this thread want that sub 3 for you.

• Options

Good session Roger - suggest no faster now on any reps - even 200s next week - feel you can run much faster than actually proving it and save all energy for Paris.

Rennie - good Yasso 800s - they aren't scientific and know a few who can run 2:50 reps who do 3:50 marathons but shows you have plenty of speed.

My XC could have gone better had not fallen after 500 metres and grazed hip, back, elbow and ankle and taken about 10 seconds to get back up.

After a while got going and considering lack of fitness wasn't too bad and achilles best it has been for a while (apart from steep hill each lap) but struggled a bit on last lap due to lack of fitness, making up too much ground on laps 2 and 3 and hip slightly seizing.

Apart from fall though vaguely enjoyed it.

• Options
    Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)

Good session Roger - suggest no faster now on any reps - even 200s next week - feel you can run much faster than actually proving it and save all energy for Paris.

Rennie - good Yasso 800s - they aren't scientific and know a few who can run 2:50 reps who do 3:50 marathons but shows you have plenty of speed.

My XC could have gone better had not fallen after 500 metres and grazed hip, back, elbow and ankle and taken about 10 seconds to get back up.

After a while got going and considering lack of fitness wasn't too bad and achilles best it has been for a while (apart from steep hill each lap) but struggled a bit on last lap due to lack of fitness, making up too much ground on laps 2 and 3 and hip slightly seizing.

Apart from fall though vaguely enjoyed it.

Sounds like the achilles held up well Steve and sounds like werent having to hold back to much for it either...

I'm recovering ok from sundays race, didnt train yesterday and just a slow jog today but felt pretty good and went to jog at local track so I could switch off and spend some time visualising marathon day.

After following Roger's training log on garmin and progress on here I feel confident that he will be quite comfortably sub 3 this time round! Ive also been inspired by his program and training and found it excellent motivation, and have tried to incorporate some of steves excellent program to fit my made up one, definitely found myself running more miles than ever before in the past few months. I've even already started thinking about running another marathon in autumn this year! Maybe even trying to do more structured myself.

• Options
    Hi Rennie, well done. Great achievement. Thanks so much for the encouragement, it really is great to know everyone is rooting for me. Good luck to you too with the 2.55, it sounds like your training has gone well.

Ruth thank you, I think your advice and precarb load is going to make a big difference.

Andy, good to hear you are recovering well, I hope to meet you in person on Friday.

Steve, firstly well done on getting through the xc, it must have been tough. I hope you haven't got any new injuries!

Secondly thanks for the advice, it was a good session and I enjoyed it but I do have a tendency to overdo things. I was just sticking to the plan, I tend to lean always to the biggest challenge, so if it says mile/5kpace I will go with mile pace.

What about my 5 k on Friday ? Are you still happy for me to do it? Can I go for a PB ? If you rather I didn't , there are always 5k's around after.
  • Options
    Enjoy KR.

How did the xc go Steve?
  • Options

Falling over mid race is everyone's nightmare Steve. Great you carried on though and were unscathed for the rest of the race. Are you feeling more confident about running London now?

10 x 400 reps last night down the local park and felt good.

Think I'll get some Beetroot Juice for next week too Rennie. I've used this a few times before in previous campaigns and although can't say it made a noticable difference, it is at the same time part of the overall taper/carb load time.

• Options

on the garmin issue I made the mistake of relying on the figures during a marathon. 

I wanted to 6'50 average pace but because the GPS isn't that accurate at london what I thought was 6'50 was actually nearer 7' as it measured the course to be 26.7 miles! they are great training tools but that is all they are. I still use mine at races but I turn off the one mile automatic split lap time. What I do now is to use the lap button manually so it gives me my actual lap pace. If I forget to do it at the mile markers on the course I just let it go to the second mile. I never look at the distance in a race on my garmin! I only look at my lap pace and time elasped. that way you truly get an accurate picture of your pace during the race. I did use the average lap pace time once but if you forget one of the mile markers the average split time becomes totally wrong! Basically looking at lap pace only you can press the lap button anytime you like. it will keep you on track with whatever pace you need to be.

This probably sounds totally confusing now! sorry!!

• Options
    Thanks Rennie. Definitely something to think about. I am not sure if they have mile markers or km markers?? Anyone? I suppose a watch and a distance/ time arm strap would be the simplest.

Gentle 7 miles tonight. 3 parks Serpie run. Chatted the whole way round. Caught with old friends1/2 mile there w/u and 1/2 mile back cool down.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/468137391
  • Options

I tried manual lapping on the Garmin for Stafford Half. I knew it wouldn't work for me. Didn't see a mile marker until mile 4 then pressed stop instead of lap thus ruining the whole thing. I will be sticking to auto lap, allowing for over-measuring and a pace band checked against elapsed time.

I surprised myself last night with the fastest reps I have ever run at that particular venue. Not just a little bit faster, but out of the water faster. And it felt easy. After peak week and a massive weekend of running I'm slightly baffled as to where that came from but long may it continue!

• Options
    Great reps cc2 - shows you are sharp and ready for big pb . I do like to use auto lap for recording but not be reliant on it for pace . Therefore important you know all the mile or at least major kilometre and mile splits independently and have at least 5 mile or 5k points written down so you can compare and adjust.

Roger no problem with serpentine 5k as long as you do virtually nothing today ie easy 3 mile jog and have very easy weekend. Also don't attack from the start. Ie aim for a first kilometre at a controlled pace ie no faster than 3:30 to 3:35 and then see if you can build the pace up gradually .

Going hard from the off will not help your marathon but a controlled pb might.
  • Options
    Good to hear cc2, yes I also worry about forgetting to push the lap button. At reading I did both, I had auto lap on but one of the mile markers was about 17s away so I pushed lap again to keep me in sinc with the mile markers still not sure what's best.

Steve are you recovering ok?
  • Options
    Also looks like KR Andy and Rennie all on great form.

Too sore to even contemplate running yesterday after fall but hopefully might get out for run today but the world masters 3000m finals are on most of day and want to watch most and four of group racing plus some good Brits such as Anthony Whiteman and James Thie so work and coaching might come first!
  • Options

Roger - from memory, last at year at Paris they had both mile and km markers.

Got out for 12 miles last night. Intention was for a relaxed first 7, then introduce some MP miles for the last 5. A clear sign of how much my fitness has dropped off due to the injury break, that I didn't feel particularly comfortable with 8min/miling for the first section. Strangely enough though, felt a bit more in control when I stepped up to the MP miles: did 2 at MP, one at tempo pace, then final 2 back at MP. Still a long way off being marathon-ready, though!!

Good luck for Friday, Roger. Enjoy moving up through the gears and finishing strongly!

• Options

Thought it may be worth having a read of the short article I wrote on beetroot juice:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target-262/can-beetroot-juice-help-you-get-a-pb/11139.html

CC2 speedy goth- well done!

Roger - try and start getting organised with food ( write list of food you need to pack the night before but have these at hand to do so) and general packing early next week so you feel relaxed before you go; rather than rushing around last minute, can really help you to relax before you set off.

• Options
    Oops I missed your post Steve, went off and did my planned 5 miles, 3 at half marathon pace ie around 6min miling. I felt stiff and sluggish. Sped up on mile 2 Somehow only managed 6.25 mins, 3 and for were about 6.06. Struggled. Perhaps a bit stiff from Tuesdays session also very very busy at work at the mo and not drank enough water today.

Ruth funny that I bought beetroot juice today for the first time ever. I will read your article later

I will skip the 5 k tomorrow. Very busy work day anyway. Sorry Andy. Might try pop down anyway
  • Options
    Roger Reid wrote (see)
    Oops I missed your post Steve, went off and did my planned 5 miles, 3 at half marathon pace ie around 6min miling. I felt stiff and sluggish. Sped up on mile 2 Somehow only managed 6.25 mins, 3 and for were about 6.06. Struggled. Perhaps a bit stiff from Tuesdays session also very very busy at work at the mo and not drank enough water today.

Ruth funny that I bought beetroot juice today for the first time ever. I will read your article later

I will skip the 5 k tomorrow. Very busy work day anyway. Sorry Andy. Might try pop down anyway

Sorry you arent gonna make it tomorrow Roger, hopefully you can sneak away for a bit, if you can please do say hi I still in intend on giving it a go and will be wearing no. 31.

Hopefully I will be able to beat my current 5km (parkrun) best of 17:15, have to see how what the legs can do tomorrow, i had the day off today to try and get them feeling fresh(er).

• Options

Shame you will miss chance for a 5K pb Roger but plenty of time in the summer and probably best to save up the energy for Sunday week!

• Options

Eek, can't believe it's only 1 week away now! Probably a good idea to miss the 5k today Roger, like Steve says, plenty of time to have a good stab at it another day. Ruth's food guide looks good, are you all prepared for that?

Did the same session as you last night Roger of 5 miles in 33.45 with the first mile in 8.05 then the next 3 in 6.25, 6.09 & 6.05. Av pace was 6.43 but I think there are easier ways to get MP than run slow, then peg it for a few miles! Just shows that a consistent pace is what it's all about.

• Options
    Well I couldn't resist, I managed to sneak out in the middle of my very busy day and squeeze in the Serpie last Friday 5k race. Went off at 5.20 then saw the pace was too quick adjusted to 5.40 as per instruction. 1st mile 5.39, sped up a bit 2nd mile 5.34. Then hit a headwind and wrestled a 5.42 pace to the end.

PB at 17.21, not quite as good as I hoped but hey it was a PB. Maybe if I didn't run hard yesterday or maybe... Anyway. I am glad I did it. I can rest tomorrow and the 10 gentle miles on Sunday. Home straight.
  • Options
    Well done Andy-bye great racing. I will try harder to catch you next time nice meeting you
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Congrats on the PB Roger! 

I wouldn't even consider running a 5K this close to race day - the taper madness always seems to dig it's claws in. Most days I'm scared just walking never mind running image

Great to see you today, thanks for crunching me back into place image

• Options

Nice to meet you and well done on your pb Roger. The 10s+ improvement you got on your pb seems like a pretty good improvement to me, and I reckon you would have got more as am convinced your body/mind are now telling you to curb your endless enthusiam for hard running over the next 8 days and save it all for that 26.2 mile trip around Paris.

I was a bit suprised to see 16:53 on my watch at the finish line as I as was going off garmin mile splits (5:25, 5:25, 5:35, and 26s for the bit extra) and my on the go calculations made me think i wasnt going to make 17 minutes. Clearly keeping a clear head for maths and lactic acid dont mix! I must try and take a leaf of your keep going hard for the finish line mentality, as i was only spurred on again in those closing metres after being overtaken.

Hope you can take it easy and get your feet up over the weekend.

• Options

great 5k andy and Roger, especially after day before

after today Roger really important that you do no more than go through the motion over weekend and run as relaxed and slowly as you feel comfortable in doing.

Today shows the speed is there - the endurance is there too and now the only missing piece of the jigsaw is making sure you are rested and raring to go in Paris.

• Options
    Thanks Andy and Steve. Yes I will be backing right off now and psyching up for Paris. It was actually 20s off my previous PB. 17.42.

Working today and I need a rest day anyway.

Pleasure Malcs hope you are doing well

Getting excited now for Parisimage