Options

Jeff Galloway approach to R/W/R London Marathon 2014 -Help!

Comments

• Options

Ceal..... Wow you are a very impressive runner! Some fantastic achievements. 

Thanks for the advice re gardening and I've never mustered up the courage for an ice bath! 

• Options

LMA - I suggest you get JG's 'Boston Marathon - How to Qualify' Book, as it deals with the issues relating to different paces and training for them e.g.

14m/mi he suggests using the ratio 30secs/30secs or a variation on that;

10m/mi it is 3min/1min (or 90/30);

9m/mi it is 4min/1min (or 2/30);

8m/mi it is 4min/30secs;

6m/mi he suggests 6min/20secs;

and if you really want to go there (Oh in my dreams) 5m/mi he suggests 10min/15secs (just enough to stop you overheating at a guess).

The book has detailed plans for the following marathon times (they correspond with different age qualifying times):-

5:25

5:10

4:55

4:40

4:25

4:10

4:00

3:55

3:45

3:40

3:35

3:30

3:25

3:15

3:10

3:05

Leigh - The 2 books I would buy to start with are:

'The Run-Walk-Run Method' and 'Marathon - You can do It!'

Make sure they are the newest editions, 2010 or later, as he has revised some of his ideas over time. If you want to have all his information on marathons then also get the Boston book as it explains some of the technical detail better. I think I got them all from Amazon, although I had to use the US Amazon site (.com not co.uk) for the newest of one of them, not sure which book that was, though.

He also does e-coaching. You'll find the details on his website if you are interested. He is e-coaching me and I have found it really useful. I have found that the more detail you give him, the more detailed advice you will get back. 

• Options

Really great advice Barbara, thank you. Like LMA I am planning to run upto half marathon distance and then do long runs RWR (99% sure I am going to do October marathon). Will stick with 30:30 for now, I think.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Littlemissactive

Many thanks! I am now nearly 4 years older than my Glory year and indeed took a year out from running last years. Hence the walk run approach to getting fit again. I use the 4:1 ratio at the moment and I can see from the above post from Chris that, for me, is the right one. But I see that 2:30 is an alternative.

Chris

I try to do standing up gardening now shame because I LOVE pottering in the garden. I emailed Jeff about a week ago now, but, so far, I haven't heard back. But of course the Boston marathon took place during this time.
  • Options

ceal - I am messaging you

C

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Chris

Thanks, I have got the email address. I can't reply using the messaging service it just won't work, the page disappears. But thanks for taking time and I will use the info.

I have now messaged you.
  • Options
    ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Glad everyone's getting back to running after London

I'm just loosely using RWR again now mainly on the steeper hills and more difficult trail bits but what i have realised is i'm happy to walk again now - by doing my long runs for Manchester and the marathon that way i've completely got out of the midset that i need to run constantly and walk breaks are bad so that's a real positive to come from it.

Chester 1/2 next and at the moment i'm planning to plod around slowly with a bit of a walk at the water stations but mainly to get around comfortably and enjoy myself

Have a lovely weekend everyone

• Options

hi leigh

I have the marathon: you can do it book, it is good, though I have to say  I haven't read all of it yet!

I have done a few short runs this week, not sure whether the virus was a post-marathon slump or just something I caught, hard to know, but I am fine now image

I think I am going to gradually build up the running sections on my shorter runs while keeping the longer runs at 30/30 for now, and revise as time goes on. The main thing for me is to stay injury free!

• Options

Blimey I've struck RWR gold here, what a re knowledgeable and well connected bunch you are! I have indeed bought the JG Marathon book, didn't know there was a website am off there in a mo.

I started my training this week and I can't understand why the whole world isn't using this method. I can clearly feel my body relax and extend during the walk phase and my heart rate is steady (and already dropping). Going for the longer run/walk tomorrow.

I've been reading some right horror stories about what a marathon does to the body, what have been your experiences?

Chris I have just returned from the Skylark Sportive and stayed in Holmfirth...you lucky, lucky *&%@*

• Options

Leigh - I found the marathon tougher mentally than physically. Yes, I was tired when I finished and my training was minimal really. But the next day I felt great, legs were great, no problems going up and down stairs and fully able to enjoy the week's holiday with the kids - being active walking/beaches/visiting castles etc. I wasn't expecting to feel so good after it

• Options
    mathschick wrote (see)

Leigh - I found the marathon tougher mentally than physically. Yes, I was tired when I finished and my training was minimal really. But the next day I felt great, legs were great, no problems going up and down stairs and fully able to enjoy the week's holiday with the kids - being active walking/beaches/visiting castles etc. I wasn't expecting to feel so good after it

Ooh, sounds promising!

• Options

Leigh

I have had a very similar experience in London. My daughter and her husband also ran it. They looked like they'd been in a bad motor bike accident the next day, and all week actually. I could dance up and down stairs without any problem. I loved every minute of the marathon, had no cramp and was as fresh as a daisy, once I'd rehydrated at the end.

My last training RWR was a 26 miler and I'm really glad I did it as the race felt easier than the training run. I think I knew where I was at physically because of it, and as a result, didn't over cook it on the day. In JG's schedule you only do long runs every three weeks to make sure you are well recovered in between. He had me using 15/30 as the ratio of R/W on the long runs over 13 miles, and yes that is a negative ratio, and yes it is in seconds. I really struggled mentally with this to start with, but boy does it work.

Finding this approach has been a 'Road to Damascus Experience' for me. Go for it whole heartedly, it really works.

• Options

In fairness my daughter and son-in-law did good times 3:40 and 3:56 but neither are back running properly yet. I did a very slow 5:52, but I was happy that it had a 5 in the hours column and I know what to do now to improve next time. 

Also, I was very injury prone before and kept missing races because of this. Since I started using RWR in November, I have had no issues at all. I think this is a PB for not getting injuries, 6 months and counting.

• Options

leigh, I was shocked how good I felt.  I was slow for the marathon 6:24 but I could run at the end, and felt very strong (my aim for the day was to visit upright and smiling).  I was stiff and sore that day, but had a bath and felt lots better.  the next day I had a bit of soreness behind left knee but other than that was so much better than I thought I'd be.  I ran on the Thursday after and did parkrun on the Saturday.  Am now back training and have no issues at all.  Am sure it's due to sticking with plan and RWR.

• Options

These comments are so helpful (and some funny!) The approach feels rights and makes sense to me but I'm not sports scientist. I have to say I'm a strong believer in doing what feels right especially in endurance events. So I did my first long run today (4 miles). It flew past! I think its because you are only thinking a few minutes ahead. I'm doing 4min run 1 min walk (although I had a year off running last year I had previously run for 15 years though short and slow). At the end I felt I could do at least another 2 miles and while stretching after got the full on chilled out sensation that I experience with yoga. This is going to be a real journey of discovery. VLM better give me a bloody place now!

• Options

Leigh - I think you will fit in here really well, practical common sense is the order of the day.

All - I'm not sure if I said, but I'm off on holiday tomorrow. I legally retire tonight and so we are starting as we mean to go on. This will be my first ever term time holiday and I can't wait. I'll try and keep in touch whilst away, be keep things going.

I did a relaxed 6 miles this morning. I would  never have believed that would be possible only 12 days after a marathon, but I feel great, thanks to Jeff Galloway's RWR approach. I am so glad I stumbled across it last autumn.

Not sure how much running I'll get done this week, but providing I can get wifi,will enjoy reading your running tales.

C

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Chris

I am sure you will have a wonderful holiday. I wouldn't worry too much about running whilst on holiday, unless you feel the need or have an urge. If you don't run, you will pick up again when you return. It may take a couple of weeks, but that is all.

I can't contribute very much to the thread because you all know much more about it than I do! However, on Saturday, I did an 11 mile walk/run, 4:1 min ratio. It worked out well, I was tired afterwards but I was able to run 5k yesterday with legs that felt ok.
  • Options

Thanks again Chris for all the useful info on pacing / speed.  I'll have a look at Jeff's books. Have a lovely holiday. 

Ceal well done on 11 miles! 

Well done Leigh. Take it slowly, building up gradually. Fingers crossed for you for a place in London next year. It is one amazing race. 

• Options

Still unable to run but have purchased Jeff's Boston qualifier book to keep me going.  Keep up the good work everyone image 

• Options

weird, yesterday I did 60/30 and it was slower than when I do 30/30 - I wonder if I run slower during the run bits because I know I am running for longer. 

I see Jeff did the Big Sur with his wife doing 15:15

• Options
    Wow only did Boston a week ago
  • Options

yes, and I think he said (on facebook) that they were quicker than at Boston

• Options

That's interesting MC.  While I am doing the short stuff I am running but when I start hitting the longer runs I was going to play around with the ratios.  Was thinking about doing 3:1 or 4:1, but will decide nearer the time.

• Options

I've decided to experiment with ratios a bit too. On Monday I did 9.25 miles, and this morning 5.4, both using 45/30.  Similar pace for both, just outside 13:30 average.

My main constraint at the moment, though, is my knee - when I did a couple of runs last week with longer run segments, I got some niggles from it afterwards.  So, keeping up with the regular walk breaks and short run segments for the time being.  I do let my hair down a bit for the last mile or so, though!

• Options
    I have now had a clear 6 months with no injuries, I know I'm still ridiculouslyb slow but I can only improve when I'm fit, i'm going with the short segments to see what happens. By short segments I mean 1/1 or lower. Current favourite is 30/30

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi Chris,

Hope your holiday is going well. I did message you a couple if days ago. No need for a reply, I just wanted to make sure you received it!
  • Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Hi

I also find I have less niggles with my problem areas - mainly knees when I keep the run and walk sections short. My current favourite it also 30/30, although this morning I did a couple of longer running sections where I ran through a few of the walk bleeps, it is nice to keep the running going, but I do find that my running slows when I do the longer run sections. Not sure if that is down to fitness or some subconscious thing..

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    I am experimenting with the walk/run.

Last week I did a tempo run, and not being very fit after a year of no running and having only run again since the beginning of the year, it nearly killed me exaggeration of course, but it was a hard run.

Today, having not run for 3 days due to emergency family stuff I eventually got round to a run. I thought just an ordinary run did really fit the bill. So I decided to run 2mins:30secs.

Now the interesting thing was that my 5 k today was only 1 min slower overall than my tempo run last week and today's run had lots of walks!

For me it was much more pleasurable and in fact because of the walks I was able to pick up the pace on the run sections to that which was faster than I was running on the tempo run.

Lots of words to say not a lot. But I hope you have got the gist of what I am trying to say!
  • Options

Yes Ceal I do! Walking seems to be making everyone faster! I've been doing 4m:1m but after reading all this I too will give different ratios a try.