Options

Mutual Support and Encouragement for fellow Newbies

Comments

• Options

Thanks everyone.  Another 2.5 miler tonight (well run/walk but we'll ignore the walking for now!).  My next run is a straight 20 mins without walking image but not sure I'll get out on that until middle of next week.  With doing my own c25k at week 5 and starting with a friend the running clubs c25k at week 1, that's a lot of running in one week for a wee newbie.  So will get out more with my friend on the c25k runs and try and build up a once a week run on my own.  What do you think?

Nathan and Peter well done on your mileage challenges - I'm a sucker for challenges and like to keep setting my self targets, so I think running might very well suit me.

Mummysaurus, ok what's water running? It does sound interesting.

Slap a belly, your as bad as me, everytime I hear of something new, I'm off finding out about it.  I'm fortunate too as my local Parkrun is only about a mile away so that's the warm up walk sorted!

Trigger, have patience image.  1.5 lb for me too this week.  Pleased as punch because at this rate I should get my remaining 1st-1.5st off before the summer when I can't hide under the disguise of long sleeves and bottoms when running - I'm not even brave enough at the moment to shed the trackie bottoms for my newly purchased running leggings.  Besides do 113,114 etc Parkruns and you'll have those last few pounds off image.

(Thank goodness my Christmas smilies have gone at last!)

Happy running!

• Options
    Well run all, and even a small weight loss is going in the right way Trigger and Happy.

I'm on week 2 of Jantastic as well I've done my 5 for the week, just need to log it now.

That's a good amount of parkruns trigger, I've never done one, my nearest one's 35 miles away and also on a Saturday morning I'm taxi for the kids to their rugby training.
  • Options

Well done on the weight loss trigger, that's a good amount and you should be pleased!

happybunny, well done on the run. As long as you are having rest days and not over doing it, go for it!

Well done Peter on your runs this week

Mummysaurus, let us all know how the deep water aerobics class went!

I managed a longer run tonight, 4.5 miles, very pleased with the extra I ran, not very fast but chuffed. Weigh in tomorrow, so hopefully that's helped move the scales in the right direction! 

• Options
    Well done Nathan, the speed will come, its good to get the distance up, that's m next goal.
  • Options

Good luck with the 20mins happybunny, be very interested to hear how you get on !

Great you're up to speed with your Jantastic challenge Peter, hope you've got your runs logged now ready for next week!

Hope your weigh in went well Nathan ? I'm sure the 4.5miles helped.

I have the 3rd of my week 3 runs tomorrow , then walk on Monday, rest day Tuesday. Had a sneek peek at week 4, and it's 5mins of running, 4 times, yikes !!      Though somehow I'm looking forward to the challenge to see if I can do it!

Happy weekend everyone image

• Options

Good luck with the rest of week 3 and week 4 Slap-a-belly, I've logged the rest of this week's Jantastic runs as well.

Been out tonight in 35-40 MPH winds and rain but I have to say I enjoyed it, did 3.5 miles in 33 minutes.

• Options

Peter you're a sucker for punishment, well done!

Good luck with the run today Slap.  I think my 20 minute run won't be happening until Thursday what with the club's C25k runs I'm doing with a friend and other commitments, which is a bit of a bugger as I'm looking forward to getting out and attempting it.

Nathan, really hope you got on well with your weigh in.

Rest day today for me after I went with the 3rd run of the club's C25k.  It was great, because it was at the same time and location as the Parkrun and us newbies got a lovely warm welcome.  It gave us a chance to see the Parkrun set up i.e. registration etc.  My only concern with these club runs (bearing in mind they're for mainly unfit) is the speed they seem to be going out at.  According to my watch, the running speed, albeit for only 2 minutes at a time, was about a 10.5min/mile, which seems pretty quick.  There were a few quite large ladies at the back really struggling, and I can't help feeling it'll put them off - put it this way if it was this time last year, I would have struggled big time.  My friend who was running with me, also found it difficult in that she only had her baby about 8 weeks ago and hasn't done any exercise since she gave up smoking after becoming pregnant. 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend all!

Nicky

• Options
    Thanks Happy, and well run yesterday, I'd agree about the pace for starting off on, but I guess they want to make it challenging for people.
  • Options

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me butting in.  

I have recently agreed (been hoodwinked?!) into running as part of a relay time in the Belfast marathon on 5th May.  I am NO runner.  About 5 years ago, I ran/walked a 10k, but apart from walking my dog and going to pilates a couple of times a week, I am firmly in the sofa and red wine club.

My section of the marathon is the 1st leg, of 6 miles.  I am running it to raise money for Guide Dogs (aforementioned dog is a former Guide Dog pup).  I have started doing the Couch to 5k program, and intend to move on to the 5k-10k one in 8 weeks time.  I have finished week 1 and am currently on the website procrastinating when I should be out doing the first session of week 2!!!  So I am hoping this forum will be good for talking with likeminded folks and a 'we're all in it together' camaraderie! 

I am going out the door NOW to get this run done.  Then I will have to tell you all I've done it!  Nothing like shaming yourself into doing something image

You are all sounding very impressive and dedicated - I hope that rubs off on me image

OFF I GO!

• Options
    Welcome Kaleidoscope, hope your run went well. And good luck with that marathon.
  • Options

Just in from run and feel so much better image  Always the way.

Thanks, Peter; and, just to clarify, it is only a leg of the marathon, but it may as well be a full marathon what with my level of running ability... Your 3.5 miles in 33 minutes is something I can only dream of right now.

• Options
    Hi and welcome kaleidoscope! Great forum here, plenty of support and camaraderie!

I have not ran this weekend, sticking to 3 runs a week as I know how easy injury can occur if over doing it, especially new/returning to running, just a good walk today and yesterday with the dogs!

My weigh in did not go well! I put on 0.6lbs. I know it's not a lot but was hoping to see the scales go the other way! I'm not going to dwell on it or get down, as I said before it's not my main goal, I know if I stick at it, eventually the weight will come off. I don't expect miracles with only back into running for 2 weeks! I keep saying the key is to 'stick at it'!
  • Options
    Welcome Kaleidoscope - you'll get there! I started with the Race for Life programme way back when it was walk 1 minute: run 1 minute. I've subsequently done 4 marathons.

Nathan don't worry about the weight - my weight can fluctuate 3lbs +/- in a day so it'll even out.

Parkrun for me on Saturday and I managed to shave a little more off the time so am getting close to where I want to be!
  • Options
    Well done on the Parkrun time trigger.

Nathan, don't worry about the weight too much, as long as you feel you're getting fitter that's the main thing.
  • Options
    Hi all, haven't posted recently as I've had internet trouble. Everybody sounds like their trying hard and achieving great stuff. Went on my first ever parkrun at the weekend and loved itl. I've not run with anyone else before so it was quite different. Everone was very friendly and course etc was well explained before hand. I was lucky because the run is two laps so I got an idea of the course on my first lap. Dare I ask what time you're trying for trigger2?
  • Options

Well done Nick for doing a parkrun!

Great going trigger for running quicker!

Went out tonight for a 3.1 mile run, managed to do in 28:19 and happy that its start of week 3 for me and i'm still going! image

• Options
    Well done Nick and welcome.

And well done Nathan, that's a good time, keep it up. I also was out tonight, did a 4 mile run in about 37 minutes, my timer stopped halfway round.
  • Options

Well done everyone and welcome Kaleidoscope, my deep water aerobics classes have been cancelled for some unknown reason so was rather disappointed with that image Did my last run Sunday 5.5 miles very very slow going out tomorrow night but legs are sore so will be taking it very easy 

• Options
    Went out last night after eventually getting daughter to sleep (wife and I take turns) did 8.8 miles and felt really good and less tired than normal, only problem was the paths were getting icey by the time I was heading home. Short run Thursday and then parkrun Saturday hopefully and try to better my time from last week image
  • Options
    Great run Nick, well done! Hoping I can up my miles soon.

Well done mummysaurus, great distance. Hope I can go up to 5.5 next. Furthest so far is 4.5
  • Options
    Thanks NathanOz,thats a good time for your 3.1 miles. I found once I'd got over the 5mile mark things got easier in a way, it often takes me 30mins for my breathing to settle into a steady rhythm. I'm struggling with upping my pace I want to run faster for my 5km parkrun and am trying running long distances to build my stamina in the hope I can then run a faster shorter distance who knows just a guess image
  • Options

Thanks Nick, I am not exhausted when I finish 3 or 4 miles so I am hoping I can stretch to 6 miles soon.

I went to an educational exhibition yesterday and must of walked 5 miles around the place, made a point of walking further there and back so put in a fair few miles and was a long day but pleased I still managed to get a run in last night, 3.1 miles, bit slower but sticking to my 3 runs a week.

• Options
    It takes quite a bit of motivation in these temperatures I only run at night during the week and by the time we've eaten, walked dogs and put daughter to bed its rarely before 830pm that I get out. Can't wait for long summer nights image
  • Options

Exactly the same for me Nick! Try to get tea done as early as possible, walk the dogs and sort my son out (read school books and get ready for bed) then its about 8:30 when I head out!

Weigh in day for me today and pleased with a 1.2lbs loss. I put on 0.6lbs last week so slow going but going in the right direction. 

Think I might go and buy some proper running t-shirts this weekend. I currently wear a waterproof running jacket and although its cold out, I get pretty hot in it by the end of the run and wish I hadn't put it on, but definitely need it for the first mile! Anyone got recommendations for running tops?

• Options
    I wear a more miles long sleeve top, tight fitting but wicks away moisture so it doesn't feel damp when you sweat. I used to wear normal t-shirts but I wouldn't go back to them now.
  • Options

Hello and welcome Kaleidoscope - great motivational target you have there, especially being part of a team, I'm sure you'll do it ! Good luck with the c25k programme!

Nathan, so glad to hear your subsequent weigh in was in the right direction, always good encouragement isn't it.

Hi Nick, yes, roll on the summer nights indeed!

Mummysaurus, Trigger and Peter, you are all doing great, hope you get some good runs in over the weekend!

Happy bunny, where are you ? I'm gagging to know if you've done the 20mins yet and how it went ?

As for me, weigh in was -2lb this week, so very pleased with that.  On week 4 now, have done 2 sessions, 5mins running x 4. The first one was ok surprisingly not too bad. Today's session was bloomin' hard work!  Slightly gyppy knees so hoping they don't get any worse. Feel a bit clicky?

I tend to go out at 7:30am so always pretty cold. I'm currently wearing thermal long johns and thermal base layer type long sleeved top with thin tracksuit over the top, plus fleece hat and neck thing.       I have to take the hat off for the last run, but if I didn't have the base layer on I'd never get out the door!   Don't have any special 'running gear' as such, only running shoes and a cheapo stopwatch from Tescos to time my sections.

• Options
    Good evening all,

Well done on the weigh loss Nathan and Slap-a-belly.

I haven't run in a couple of days now, back out on it tomorrow hoping to do at least 5k.

I don't have running gear as such, just use three quarter length shorts and a football shirt, I got a proper running wind jacket for Xmas and I do notice the difference.
  • Options
    Parkrun number 2 completed this morning. Awaiting the time to see if its quicker than last week. Got a stitch about a mile from the end so had to ease off a bit image
  • Options
    Well done everyone. I haven't run since Tuesday - have been suffering from the fever from hell since Thursday so have been bed/couch bound. image
  • Options
    Get well soon trigger. Well run Nick, hope the time's in your favour.