Options

Mutual Support and Encouragement for fellow Newbies

Comments

• Options

Nathan, well done with the weight loss.  Just 1lb for me this week, which is the norm (although normally I'm 1/2lb here and 1/2 here so I'll take 1lb!).  Your running aspirations are similar to mine this year - aiming for the Belfast half in September, with a few parkruns before and hopefully find a 10k before the half.

Trigger, well done on the better time.  I'm still grateful to get round my route at the moment in one piece, although it's hard not to keep an eye on times (especially when I christened my new watch today!).

Mummysaurus, thanks for the encouragement.  I'm secretly itching to get out on longer runs, hence scouting around for different routes for when I graduate from c25k (feel as though I should parade around the streets with a mortar board when that happens).

Knackered, welcome to the thread.  Have to agree with Trigger, nice day for it today but a wee bit icy over here so had to tip toe carefully round the icy puddles on my run earlier, but another one successfully completed without mishap or injury.

Have a good weekend all!!

• Options

hello everybody and welcome to you lovely recent joinersimage

Its great to read all your achievements and inspirations - I all up for the food and weight loss stories too! 

It's a shame we can't have a chart we could all put our stats on on this site somewhere, ie. runs/ weight loss/ upcoming races/ goals etc etc..

Unfortunately I have nothing to add this week, as on Wednesday one of my big dogs yanked me over and I've got bad muscle damage all down the side of my spine. On anti inflams/ physio/ and sleeping tablets. Been advised no running for a couple of weeks......BOO HOOOOOOOO image((((((((

• Options
    Hello Caroline, that's not so good, hope you get better soon. Not sure if Runhub is maybe something that does that idea of stats etc. Also there's fetcheveryone.com where you can record training etc and people can see it. (both that and RW sites are owned by the same people).
  • Options

Oh no Caroline hope you feel better soon and are back on your running feet soon. 

• Options

thank you image

I'll have a look at those sites Peter, thank you 

Oh well, if nothing else I'm fast becoming an expert on running theory and nutrition. Thank goodness for the World Wide Web! 

I've got my weekly weigh in tomorrow (3rd week). I'm hoping to have still lost a couple of pounds. I lost 7lb last Monday and was ecstatic! 

Looking forward to hearing about all your endeavours next week image

• Options
    Good luck tomorrow at weigh in and well done on the loss so far. If you're on the fetch site you can look up pedroscalls and you'll see my runs etc on there.
  • Options

Hope you feel better soon Caroline, it's so frustrating when injury holds you back maybe you will be allowed to do some cross training soon then at least you can keep up your fitness level.

its weigh in for me tonight might be lucky to get half a pound, I was so hungry after my run yesterday I ate loads 

• Options
    Wow Caroline so sorry to hear about your fall. Hope the dog is suitably contrite. I must admit they scare me when I'm running but it's normally the smaller ones that come close to tripping me up. Well done on the weight loss too.

Sitting at my desk with sun streaming through the window - another great day for a run! image

Take care
  • Options
    Managed another 5k run last night, it was cold, wet and dark out there but I did it and after the first 5 minutes enjoyed it. Also was my best time yet at 30m10.

How is everyone else doing?
  • Options

Well done Nathan, I did 5k last night as well, on icy roads, did it in 30:48, but possibly could have been a couple of minutes quicker if I hadn't had the dog with me and 2 main roads to cross.

• Options

Nice one Peter, sounds like we are about the same level, I did push myself a fair bit to try and get under 30 minutes. I must not overdo it though! How many times a week do you run? What are your goals for this year?

• Options
    It certainly does Nathan. I run between 5 & 10 times a week, but that's a set 2 mile between the bus station and the office, which doesn't always happen to be a run, depends if I have any shopping or stuff to carry. Also try to do a couple of longer runs through the week, at the moment 5k length. As for goals, I'm not a very competitive person so no races or such but ideally shaving a couple of minutes off my 2 miles back so I can catch the earlier bus home(30 minutes wait) and also being able to run for longer. Have you any goals yourself?
  • Options

Likewise I'm not sure about races but always have the ambition to run a marathon. For now my goals are to run 10k by summer and a half marathon in the Autumn and just work on getting better times, again not necessarily within an organised event.

Sounds like you do quite alot.

Anybody else got goals for this year?

• Options
    Good luck with that Nathan, cant say that I've ever felt like running a marathon or a half even.

It's not that much, works out about 20 miles a week.
  • Options
    Managed another 5k run last night, it was cold, wet and dark out there but I did it and after the first 5 minutes enjoyed it. Also was my best time yet at 30m10.

How is everyone else doing?
  • Options

Nathan and Peter sounds like you are doing really well, I went out for a run tonight with my son (back to basics on here) it was my first run in my new Luna sandals 3.5 miles so pretty pleased with that, my plans for this year are a few parkruns and maybe find a 10k later in the year. 

• Options

Nice run Mummysaurus! When it starts to get lighter in the evenings my son will come with me on his bike, we did that before and was great! Good luck with the 10k too

• Options

thanks for your kind words image Yes, it IS really frustrating so be laid up when I just long to be out there. 
    You guys are brilliant with your efforts, and I've loved reading all the posts from my bed....
    However, its not all doom and gloom - nearly fainted when I had my weigh in on Monday, I've lost exactly a stone since Dec 31st!! 
    Plus, my parents and I have booked to go to Lanzarote on 1st Feb, really looking forward to some warm weather training image 
    Keep up the good work everybody image

• Options

Well done on the weight loss Caroline, I've lost half a stone since the 6th of January,it's amazing how much weight you shift just by cutting out the booze and chocolates that we over indulge in at Xmas.  Any room in your suitcase, I could do with a break in the sun.  Hope it's not too long before you're joining us again pounding the pavements and parks.image

• Options

Way to go Caroline! very impressed! image

• Options

Wow Caroline, that's amazing weightloss !!!!       You must be over the moon image)  Hope you're better soon too.

Nathan and Peter, you're inspiring me !

I lost only 1lb this week but hey-ho!   [I'm sure it's all my new muscle]   I did my first run of my week 3 plan, which was 6 x 3 minutes interspersed with 1 min walks. To my amazement I managed all 6 of the 3 minute runs which I thought was impossible so absolutely chuffed !

Good luck all !

• Options

Well done Slap-a-Belly, great start to week 3! Also 1lb is great, I used to weigh myself everyday and got disappointed when I didn't see any movement, but now Fridays are my weigh in day and I will be happy with 1lb a week, its not my most important goal, if I stick to my other goals then the weight will come off eventually! 

• Options
    Well done Slap-a-belly, that's great and the weight will follow down soon enough. I'm not that bothered about weight loss at the moment just getting fitter and as Nathan says it should be linked.
  • Options

Caroline, sorry to here about your fall - let;s hope you'll be back out and running soon.  Lots to celebrate though - well done on the weight loss and double celebrate with winter holiday!

Slap, well done on the steady progress.  I'm on week 5 of my ct5k, and just started the local running group's ct5k - there were 150 new people running!

Well done to everyone else for their miles this week!

• Options

Well done happybunny for being on week 5!

I managed my second run of the week last night, 3.1 miles in the pouring rain! Takes me to 15.4 miles of my January 50 mile challenge, still a long way to go!

• Options

Well done HB week 5 is a real milestone week image

Nathan well done for getting out in the rain, looks like you will be out there a few more times to get to your challenge mileage image

No running for me today, but I am doing a deep water aerobics class tonight so I will be water running.

• Options

Well done Happybunny, and well run Nathan, a few more to go to get to 50.  I'm at 41 or 42 miles in on a 1000 mile challenge for the year so I'm on track so far. 

Enjoy you aerobics Mummy. 

• Options

Thanks Peter and Nathan, you're right I hope, that the weight will follow once the running is progressing !     Good luck for the rest of your 50 miles Nathan!

HappyBunny... 150 new runners, wow!!     Have fun with the deep water running Mummysaurus, not heard of that one!

I had never heard of Parkrun either till I read it on here so looked up on the internet and amazingly there is one about 1.5miles from me. so that's something good for me to aim for once I really get running for any length of time!

• Options
    Wow some amazing weight losses on here! Only 1 1/2 lbs off for me this week and am consoling myself with the fact that at least things are moving in the right direction! Only 7 1/2 lbs to go and I'll be at target. Would be nice if it disappeared by the end of the month but we'll see!

Week 2 of Jantastic for me - run number two for the week tonight. Am hoping that I'm going to dodge the showers!

Slap I can certainly recommend parkrun - I'm on number 112 at the moment. The next milestone is 250 runs so some way to go.

Hope you're all keeping well image
  • Options

Now I'm going to have to look up Jantastic image    Wow 112 Parkruns, very impressed !! I'm sure your 7 1/2 lb will fly off !