Options

Milton Keynes 2014

Comments

• Options

Ran the half in 1:53:46 which is a PB of...........1 minute! I'm quite happy with it though as I've only done a couple of runs over 7ish miles this year and managed to keep a very good pace up until about mile 11 when I had to slow down. Just need to do a few (well lots) more long slow runs to build up that endurance and get under 1:50.

I liked the event itself, well the town bit was good (the dual carrigeway bit was not too exciting!). Parking was a pain but just about managed to find a space on the industrial estate. I liked the finish in the stadium which was pretty unique. Great crowd support.

I'll definatly be doing it again next year.

• Options

Same here Neil, as my first marathon I enjoyed lots of things about it but if I decide to do another one I'd definitely be looking at something more scenic to take the mind off things. And flatter too! Lol. 

I've not got much for comparison, but although I agree about the wide roads during the first half I just found that part of the route so uninspiring. I can only compare it to when I did the Reading half - Reading not being the most pretty of towns however it was a completely different ball park in terms of route variety, atmosphere and support. If anyone ever asked about doing the MK half I'd probably tell them to try another one! For me the race only really started when we parted company with the hm runners. 

It's interesting that some of you guys also found the route tough - I thought it was just me having that experience being a marathon virgin! What was the biggest factor do you think? The inclines or the heat? I was very surprised that the temperatures yesterday affected me so much as one of my long training runs was when it was 20 degrees and it didn't seem to bother me at the time. I think my problem yesterday was the heat combined with going off to quickly. My heart rate also seemed a tad on the high side from the very start. Nerves? 

Well I've woken up this morning aching all over and hobbling around my flat on my blisters lol. Funnily enough, I've gone from thinking 'never again' while running yesterday, to 'it wasn't to baaaaadd....' Last night, to 'well if I DO decide to do another one, which one would I choose?'........ Lol. 

• Options

Did the half faster than target, so I'm very happy. Did get a bit lonely for us half runners after the split at mile 10. But good event and the 3:30 pacer I followed to mile the split was good and probably the reason I hit my target.

Agree the first half isn't very scenic but then in the first few miles especially, it was so busy you were paying attention to not running into someone else rather than what the scenery was like. As someone that has run on most of the scenic redways anyway I was happy to do something a bit different and run on the dual carriageways.  

Guess next aim is a 1:3x:xx half in July... 

• Options

Also dumb question from someone who's relatively new to this racing malarky, are we going on finish time or chip time? My chip time was 4:53 but finish time was 4:57...., I'm liking the chip time better! Lol.

• Options
    Emjay; 99.999% (I.e. Everyone except pros) quote their chip time rather than the gun time. This is particularly important at larger events where it may take 1/2hr or more to actually cross the start line.

Despite aching, try not to spend too much of the day on the sofa. Walk to the shops, along the beach, go for a short bike ride, just try to keep active.
  • Options

Thanks Tim, will do! I've just noticed that my cupboards, for some reason, are completely empty of carbs!! A trip to the shop in the sunshine is definitely in order. In flip flops though lol. 

• Options

as my first marathon, i have to say i was dreading it but when i was actually doing it i really enjoyed it, managed to hit the wall around 18 miles mark and had to speed walk the rest whilst my legs became more and more stiff but sprinted the stadium, finished in around 6 hours 15 minuits mainly due to my walking.

loved the support from the crowd especially at the last bits where it became a bit lonely. the guys with the water hoses brilliant. 

would i do it again? perhaps but it could of been a bit flatter the last bits although not very hilly were still very up and down and with stiff legs that was hell maybe next time ill run it all image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    booktrunk wrote (see)

Hello everyone, crap goodie bag, awesome medal, ran great for 22km then like poo for 20 :/) fun race. 

Sorry to hear it didn't go to plan but glad you enjoyed it. Well done for getting round, that's always an achievement not to be undervalued.

Well done everyone else too!

• Options

Well done CP31 and Andyruns on your half results image

Well done Heather on completing your first marathon image

Emjay: for me I think it was a combination of the heat and the short/sharp ups and down, was constantly having to drink and pour water on myself to stay cool and with very little shade was exposed to the heat all day.

Legs are feeling okay today, had another freezing cold bath this morning which seemed to help. Legs are very achey but walkable, first little run tomorrow to try and ease some of the pain

• Options
    Did anyone have an issue with their chips? Mine seems to have recorded my time wrong
  • Options

At the bottom of the results yesterday, there were loads of clearly bollocks times labelled QUERY!

Think they've had a duff batch of chips in.

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭

yesterday - "glad I've completed that, pleased to get through the training and get it done. don't intend on doing another one, definitely not this year".

this morning - "tired but think it was good. in the London ballot, that's probably enough for next year but might need to look at alternatives in case I can't get in."

now - "ooh, wonder whether the Chester marathon in October still has space?"

• Options

I've got horrendous sunburn on my neck and shoulders today. After baling out of the drive in, I wasn't left with long to get ready, and the suncream I did put on evidently either wasn't brilliantly applied, or else got washed off along the route.

Feet looked appalling immediately after the race, but once the swelling went down, I've got just one bad blister for my troubles. Legs feel heavy but generally OK today as well.

• Options

Hi emjay and scott

Yes I agree scott. Up and down hills awful by the end. I never want to see another underpass again!!!!! First half totally uninspiring. So glad you loved the experience EMjay. You did brilliantly as MK was very very tough. Far harder than London, which was my first! But I felt elated to have just run another marathon - something I never thought I would hear myself saying! Deffo go for a more scenic one next time. it keeps you going!

I also agree with the comments about the marshalls. I also witnessed a runner nearly being knocked over by a car. It was really awful...

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Ivor: snap re the sunburn being a redhead means I'm always screwed image 

• Options
    Ivor my chip matches up at the start but some how a friend of mine I left behind finished before me . I was always a head if her too it's really strange and my garmin died at mile 12.52 !!
  • Options
    neil t wrote (see)

yesterday - "glad I've completed that, pleased to get through the training and get it done. don't intend on doing another one, definitely not this year".

this morning - "tired but think it was good. in the London ballot, that's probably enough for next year but might need to look at alternatives in case I can't get in."

now - "ooh, wonder whether the Chester marathon in October still has space?"

Brilliant, this is exactly what I've been thinking! Although maybe not this year as I don't think I could commit to another 4 months of heavy training so soon! It's funny how quickly you forget the pain though ha ha.

• Options
    Ivor; the QUERY times could possibly be from people who registered for the marathon but decided to run the half on the day.

Nicola; have you checked the results on resultsbase.net? It shows the gun position, and gun, chip (and most importantly) split times. Your times look about right to me...
  • Options
    Yes I've looked my friend was behind me all the time . I crossed at 10.03 she 10.05 her finish time was 2.22 mine 2.21. It doesn't add up . This isn't my first half I've ran a few took it easy as I ran London 4weeks ago
  • Options

I agree with TimO, my thinking was most of those query's were people who just decided to run half instead. Probably not another marathon for e this year, however a 50km in August and maybe something longer nearer end of year beckons

• Options
    Nicola; I think I'm missing something. When you say 'finished before me', do you mean her finishing position is higher than yours?
  • Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭
    christine davies wrote (see)

I never want to see another underpass again!!!!!

Amen to that.

• Options
    Sorry! right I finished first and her time says she finished before me . She was a head of me for 1minute but I made that up at the end . She has said herself it's not possible .
  • Options
    I can only think that you're quoting gun time, whereas she's quoting chip time.

If it's not that, then I've no idea.....
  • Options
    I really think it's a dodgy chip . Not because I'm disappointed with my time I wouldn't care just want it to be accurate ! I'm doing another half in July and October I'm hoping to do a sub 2hr time in October
  • Options
    No had a look at that too . Oh well never mind thought I'd ask incase anyone else seemed to have a problem with their chip .
  • Options

To all those who started off in the 3:45 pace setting group....I have just been chatting to a London Marathon pace setter, who is an expert at pacing. he's looked at my times and said we ran the first 10k at 3:30 pace......completely explains why I burnt out so quickly! As suspected in conversations I had afterwards with a few runners doing this pace, way too fast.....

• Options

Pleasantly surprised at how unsore my legs are today especially as my day was spent completing my restraint training update. What does hurt are the scabs on my knees from my tumble. They look like something you would find on a accident prone seven year old boy!  

• Options

Lucky you Mems! My quads and glutes are so tight I can't get down the stairs or bend down to pick things up! getting onto the sofa requires a wide 'flop' clearance! 

Dont envy you doing that training with sore knees, I was supposed to do training of that nature recently and had to cancel because of the sore foot. Luckily I had no problems with that yesterday, if anything the 26 miles have made it feel better than ever! Glad I'm not working this week though, plenty of recovery time image

• Options
    neil tneil t ✭✭✭
    christine davies wrote (see)

To all those who started off in the 3:45 pace setting group....I have just been chatting to a London Marathon pace setter, who is an expert at pacing. he's looked at my times and said we ran the first 10k at 3:30 pace......completely explains why I burnt out so quickly! As suspected in conversations I had afterwards with a few runners doing this pace, way too fast.....

I completely agree with that. I was running about 3:40 pace at that stage and I was behind the 3:45 pacer until I went by when the half/full marathon split. The pacer was definitely going way too fast at that stage. Even though he started before me, he only just finished in front of me (with a sprint finish in the stadium!).