Options

Loch Ness marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Helga - Your half time suggests a far faster marathon than you've done so far. It looks like you have the pace in your legs to run a good marathon. It might be worth checking the how often you go long to see if that will help you reach your target time.

• Options

Thanks Eggyh73.

• Options

Ooh, a mini thread explosion! 330OB, good luck with the long term plan - sounds like a good approach for a more serious runner than myself image

MacPerky,  what time are you going for? 

Hi Helga, as others have said your HM time suggests a much better Marathon time only if you have done the correct training, as Eggy says, what were your long runs like? time,distance and number of them? I think I read somewhere that if you add up your 5 longest LSR's the nearer the total is to 100 miles the better prepared you are image

4:15 would be a great time for you as you'd be able to witness most if not all of the (great) Booktrunk V Andi race!

• Options

Hi Helga. We have some similarities; I'm 47, have done one flat marathon in 4:40 and would like to break 4:30 at Loch Ness. My best HM time was 1:54:58.

Even if the training goes well I don't think I'll ever be able to achieve the predicted finish time for a mara that I get from my HM time (sub-4hrs). I think I'd probably make myself miserable trying. For me, I know that an achievable goal leads to a larger sum of happiness at the end of the day. Your target time sounds achievable, all things being well. Good luck for that Half at the weekend. 

I think maybe those conversion times from 10k /half to marathon don't take age into account enough? I suspect it gets harder to convert as you get older image

Congratulations on the weight loss - never easy image.

• Options

ooh Andi I like your 5 LSR's = 100 idea just totted my planned top 5 runs up and got 98, feeling much better about this now image Now all I have to do is convert them from planned to done and I'm laughing. Still got to find me some hills though  

Tempted to run a 4:16 marathon and film the BookTrunk Vs Andi race for everyone image

Anyone interested and use it I set up a Garmin Connect Loch Ness marathon 2014 group, so far only me in it imagehttp://connect.garmin.com/group/706038 

• Options

Thanks Andi/benignmurmurring. For the latest marathon I completed an 18, 19, 20, 20 and 22 before my taper and was averaging 10 minute miles. I do know that I am terrible in races and have a tendency to start off very quickly. I get caught up in the excitement!

• Options

Helga from what I've seen of the elevation the temptation to start quick is going to be even greater with a lovely hill to charge down. Think it's something we are all going to have to be wary of 

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Helga - I think setting off too quickly is something many of us do, but it is something you will pay the price for particularly in something like a marathon.

BM - I think our times over the distances partly relate to natural ability and partly on how we structure our training. I'd say my half marathon and marathon PB's for me feel better than I feel about my 5km and 10km PB's. Then again I have to admit a lot of my training since taking up running has focused on going long (the first running event I ever entered was a marathon!), rather than on speed over shorter distances.

• Options

Andy, just signed up - you look fast image I think I got to '96' for LN last year and hope to make it 100 this time around.

Helga, Benign, your a pair of youngsters - I'll be 55 at LN image Helga, your training sounded good, the only thing I can think of (other than going out too fast) was you ran all your LSR's too quickly so were basically worn out by race day? I'm contemplating running the first 8 miles @9mm, next 8 at 10mm, the hill @ 11mm then see what happens for the last 10k??

***Edited to add...

Andy, just seen your 5 & 10k times so 8mm's might be fast for me but easy runs for you lol.

• Options

Eggy - my Paris training was rubbish after I got injured in January. I only did about half of what I intended, with only 2 x 20mile LSRs, so it was never going to relate to my half times. Hoping for less injury this time, with added strength and core training. Suspect I will never discover much untapped 'natural ability' though image

I like the 100 mile thing. I only made it to 90 image Must try harder

Maybe its not just the number of miles but the hilliness of those miles that will count at Loch Ness?

• Options

Andi, I only look fast cos I'm running on the flat. You have some proper hills to deal with. 

Benign I think is right with regard to the Nessathon! think those who have done training on hills will be the ones feeling strong in the last miles. 

• Options

Ok, I get the messages loud and clear - I will have to do a lot of hill training for Loch Ness. I was told by a fellow runner that "hills are my friend".

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Eeeeek this thread is speeding up a bit! image

• Options
    Booktrunk - if it's anything like my Marathons , it'll speed up too quickly , think everything's going well them come crashing down near the end with verbal promises to never do another one
  • Options

Scott - Lol sounds like mine !!

• Options

Hmm I am worried about the hills as well although living in Scotland you cant run anywhere without there being a hill somewhere on the course !!

Seeing as I am not doing it until next year after London I don't expect my time to be anywhere near London which is basically pancake flat.

• Options

Andi

Seems we are the same age !!! We really shouldn't be doing this at our age you know !!! lol

• Options

I'll be 55 tomorrow! We must be mad...

Andi - my PB is 3:29 from Paris 2013. Did 3:33 in Paris this year so looks like age is catching up with me! But I laugh in the face of 'ageing' and am boldly (foolishly ?) going to target 3:30 at Loch Ness.

• Options

And the BookTrunk v Andi race sounds interesting. Is there some history we should know about?

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

MacPerky: not really we started running around the same time, both been running for two years, chatted and encouraged each other on here.

both aiming to crack 4:30 my best is 4:36 Andi 4:41 and we decided to make a race of it winner takes all (possibly a bottle of whisky) or more likely a 'darn you beat me' image 

we also see each other's training on Garmin connect so know what we are doing, Andi runs further but I have a slight speed edge, but I have ok endurance ultra running, but no speed when I have the endurance so can plod for ages, but I think I'm a couple of minutes behind at the moment. I've got a 12 / 13 year age advantage, my only disadvantage is I've stupidly signed up for a 50m ultra the week before.... Not exactly the best ever taper plan 

• Options

Sounds like a close contest. I think we should open a book closer to the time and take bets.  But 50 miles the weekend before? Jeez. But then again, you are just a young thing. Relatively speaking.....

• Options

Yup, on paper it's pretty close, in fact I think BT worked it out at 700 metres!

If I were a gentleman I'd be jogging 50 miles the week before LN to even things up but... well... I won't be lol.

And BT, only possibly a bottle a bot of the finest? I may not turn up if it's only a possibilityimage

Oh, and my madcap idea of running the final 10k barefooted probably won't be happening (this year).

Oh, and reckon us folk in their mid fifties won't be the oldest runners by a decade or two image

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Time has passed too quick for my liking since Paris.A little over 3 weeks before I'm scheduled to start my training plan,not looking like I'll be ready.Still getting slight niggles.I will need to up it to 5 days running from Monday.
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Andi image I was being polite giving you a last exit possibility..... The whisky in on the line. 

Game face on image 

• Options

I hope it's a decent bottle of whisky and not just a a Grouse. 26.2 miles is worthy of a Glenlivet 12 Year Old, at least.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Please !! We are talking 'decent' 

• Options

50 miles the week before!! Whoa! Now that is taper madness image

I was enjoying using my age as a reason for not being fast and now older people has spoiled it image

• Options

I'm so sorry my old age has inconvenienced you BM....

Heading to Aberdeen today for tomorrow's 10K. Sun is shining, but looks like lt could be a wee bit breezy along the boulevard.

• Options

That's my training officially started this week, women's 10k last Sunday in Glasgow, 5 mile race in Dumfries on Tuesday and a nice steady 11.62 mile run this morning In the sunshine across a fairly flat route with a couple of small hills. Loch Ness here I come!

• Options
    Yes ,, a training plan , might need to look into that at some stage , I figured I'd start after the triathlon in July , then realised it doesn't give me much time , a nine week training plan ,,, anybody know where I can find one ?

Helga -Well done on getting the first couple of runs over with

Book trunk and Andi - sounds interesting , a nice wee challenge

Jokeybhoy - is that still the same issue you had pre Paris ? I hope you can get it sorted out quickly , is the slight niggle enough to make running uncomfortable ? Or can you run through it , you might be doing more damage everytime you run !