Options

Brighton Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options
    Thanks wenturtle did you find my mojo because I didn't? Went to gym anyway but the thought of a 3 mile run and then waiting for 45 mins for the spin class wasn't exciting me so left the boyfriend at the gym with the car keys and ran home instead. 3 miles in 24.41 a new pb for me and a new fastest mile of 756. Happy enough with that I figure it's okay to skip my spin class as long as I don't skip the runs. Loving my new speedy legs think I might reward them with a new dress as for years I have hidden in baggy jeans and hoodies image
  • Options

@Tillstar - thank you. I'm quite chuffed as I've missed a load of training. If I can knock out that run with this fitness I'm well on track for what I want to achieve next April. And hope the motivation returns quick enough for you!

@Wenturtle well done on the GFA - a tough call to make on which one to race. But an enviable position to be in!

• Options

Morning all

Well have done a couple of small runs this week did 3 on Monday and 4 yesterday thankfully Snowmaiden ankle seems ok

Wenturtle  yes well done on the GFA place for London both me and Snowmaiden have entered the ballot knowing my luck Snowmaiden will get in and i won't which is exsactly what happened with the Great North run when Poohbear got in and i never

Tillstar may be you need a cut back week after all you have been doing a lot of training and with 10 months to go you still have plenty of time to get the mileage in

• Options

No sign of any mojo on the M25 on the way home Tillstar - but it was rush hour(s)......I did see some blobby squidgey stuff which had been run over - could that have been it?

Toby is there a ballot for great north run? I presumed you just entered that. It must be the only non mrathon race that needs a ballot .... would like to do it one year.

• Options

Wenturtle -   I must have picked up the squidegy stuff on my wheels as mojo is back but in a damaged state lol. Still im looking forward to training tonight so must be okay, just got to keep this feeling past the end of the work day.

Toby Glad to hear Snowmaiden's ankle is okay.

Just 5x400 intervals tonight so will ride my bike to the gym too. Also less than a pound off my weight target.

Happy Running everyone

• Options

Hi I am in for 2015, my first Brighton image

• Options

Hi last out of the water - first brighton or first marathon???

• Options
    First Brighton, heard it was a good one image
  • Options
    After my 3 mile pb on Tuesday I did 6 mile cycle to gym for my first proper interval session last night which wasn't as bad as I thought. 4 miles this morning and just finished 3 miles tonight at very consistent 9 min mile pace. Happy with a good weeks training and looking forward to my rest day tomorrow, my legs are very heavy image
  • Options

I haven't posted for a while but I'm still plodding (quite literally) along.

I'm now able to run 5k, albeit slowly.  This was a massive achievement for me, I was extremely happy the first time I did it.

On the downside, my Achilles tendon in my left leg has been creaking; I now have exercises to strengthen my calves and have only run once in the last two weeks.  I'm desperate to get back out there but am concerned about making it worse.  I never thought I'd miss running!  I'm due to go out on Saturday but will take it easy.

• Options

SleepyJ hope the run goes Ok on Sunday and your Achilles tendon dosn't play up

• Options
    Well done sleepy J that's a great achievement. It is easy for me to add a mile or two here and there but getting to 5k is much harder.
  • Options

Lazy week for me as I've had heavy legs all week from the half. Core in the gym last night but traded the treadmill for the sauna. 30 mile commute on the bike today and felt surprisingly good. Planning an easy hour tomorrow in the fields and then next week I'll knuckle down again

• Options
    Had a geeky moment with my garmin connect records at lunchtime. Average pace for may 9.96 min miles average pace for June 9.03 min miles image really pleased to see hard work paying off and looking forward to seeing what I can achieve in July
  • Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

5k/20 mins on treadmill.

Just whacked it up to 15k/hr, did a few mins, felt good, did five, six eight ten minutes of this and realised I could do this.  Dropped down to 14 point something k/hr for a bit after 16 mins but then whacked it up to 16k/hr for the last stretch to just make it.  5000m in 20 minutes.  Never thought I would do that.  Now want to see if I can do it in a parkrun.  Only done one so far and that was 21:29.

good luck all

• Options

Morning all

8 miles for on Friday did them on the treadmill in the garage for a change other than that not a lot going on running wise Snowmaiden training is becoming a little more tricky now as her ours at work have increases and she working some funny shifts that aren’t always conducive to the training but will get there

Some great running going on well done Basher and Tillstar

• Options

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this marathon training stuff so I though I'd say hi and get some advice. I've been running for about a year and Brighton will be my first marathon. I ran my first Half last week so after resting this week I'm going to start upping the training again.  I'm planning to do 3 x 1 hr runs and 3 x strength workouts in the gym for the next 2/3 months - 'building a base' I think is the term - then do a couple of 10k races and maybe another half to see where I am before upping the mileage

anyone got any good advice for a marathon newbie?

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

5k/25 mins...running and jogging/walking.  Did a 6 minute mile within it and another 4 mins worth ar 6 min mile pace.  Decrease the jogging bits and increase the 6min mile minutes up then a 18:45 5k is doable.  Only two weeks now before I start my 3:15 16 week plan for Stevenage marathon and looking ahead it is the speedy Tuesday runs that will really test me, have to be able to do 4x6 min miles with 2min jogs in between, so working towards that.  Feel if I can make the intervals work then the LSRs will look after themselves.

Nick...put "chss marathon" into google and there is a pdf with all 16 week plans for differing target times.  I like this best because it gives specific times and distances, none of this vague "effort level" stuff.

• Options

Basher I'm planning on doing Stevenage too - albeit nowhere near as fast as you! I've asked this elsewhere on here but any idea of the course? 

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

3:15 is perhaps pie in the sky, just thought I would at least see if I can do the training for a3:15 if not the actual 3:15 marathon.  Dont know about the course, apparently lots of up and down underpasses which I guess wont make it any easier.  

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Also got some running shoes today.  One hundred big ones, plus another twelve quid for some special socks, they tested my gait and that on the treadmill.  was just running in my all purpose squash/tennis/cricket/walking down the street trainers.  These bad boys are different gravy, so comfy.

• Options

Nick sounds like a good plan

• Options

Morning All! Can anyone recommend a good half marathon training programme? Thanks

• Options

Tillstar - there dont seem to be many good half marathon plans around, most of the books like jack daniels suggest modifying a 10k schedule with longer weekend runs or better still a marathon schedule but cut the long run down. important runs are the threshold LT runs - ie 10 mile with 5 miles at your 10m - HM pace. they are tough to hit as well.

Nick dont burn yourself out too soon - Im keen on the strength suff pre training but think 3x1 hour would be better split into 2 x 45 mins and a longer run or even 4x 45 mins hour runsare about 9 miles for me and 3 of those a week would be quite tough - what will you be upping the mileage to? do you have a plan in mind?

• Options

Concentrating on club running at the moment. marathon training wont start untill October but i'm looking forward to it.

Chris.

• Options

Tillstar all i do when training for a H/M is use my my marathon training plan and cut all the runs in half

• Options
    Wenturtle - An hour run for me is about 10/11k, I'll keep the pace fairly relaxed for now and I'll aim for 15-20 miles a week which is a comfortable volume for me. Not burning out is important, just need to find a a good balance. I'm keen on the RW sub-4.30 ultimate marathon schedule, it looks to be about my level.
  • Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

10k/50mins on TM last night.  

Got a 5.3mile cross country on the south downs tomorrow night so shall rest today.

• Options

Thanks for the advice Wenturtle and Toby.  I shall do that.

3 miles for me this morning. First run since Thursday as decided not to run this Sunday as it was my last one before every weekend is on a training plan. Felt sluggish and think that's been too much rest but its done and averaged 9.16 so im happy with that