Options

Brighton Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

Not sure how  my body will hold up to two (maybe three if I get into London) Marathons but I guess that's what I find out image Least if I get injured for one I still have another to aim for. Don't plan to keep training after the Kent Roadrunner as will go back to running for fun without a plan so may as well capitalise on the fitness I should have by the time I do Brighton which will remain my main focus, Agree the vests look fab image

• Options

morning all

10 miles for me yesterday ran the first couple with Snowmaiden before heading off on my own off marshalling on Friday for running club so looking forward to that as i feel i need to contribute some thing as i had a couple of entries to though them already this year which have save me a lot of money so need to give something back

• Options
    Some good running going on. No run for me last night, had another tattoo done on Monday and it was still a bit sore so decided not to risk it. Just ticking the runs over at the moment without the pressure of sticking to a plan as once my actual half training plan kicks in at the end of the month I'm more or less training for something constantly until the end of the may so enjoying no plan while I can image
  • Options
    3 miles tonight after nearly not going. Just went for a general run no plan other than to complete the distance. 3 miles in 26.01 and every mile started with an 8 never thought id manage even one mile starting with an 8 so I'm very happy with my progress and motivated to keep working at it
  • Options

Morning all, just got back this morning from a 5k run this morning, but I tried to look at it in a slightly different way than usual.  I bought 3 running books last week end, as this year I've struggled with my fitness/times/weight etc, so thought I'd get some help. Now i've been doing the park run since 2011 and my best times are 2011 - 23.37, 2012- 22.18, 2013 - 23.22 and so far this year 2014 - 27.01, so you can see ive struggled.  So after reading chapter 1 of the first book, it talked about, strength/stamina etc etc and asked the question, when so many runners train, we do we do so many wasted miles, for example, like me id just go out in the morning,plod 5 or 6 miles, get in and do the same a couple of days later.  It then said if we just continue to do this type of training, when i comes to a race or going for a PB, our bodies think "hold on" im not ready for this must strain/effort and like me we fail. So i thought right, this morning I'd gently run down to the sea front, approx half a mile, then set the old Garmin and see what I can do, 1st mile 8.20, 2nd mile 8.25, 3rd mile, finished the 3.1 miles in 26.04, im over the moon.  Now why cant i do that at the park run on a saturday morning.  Could be the placebo effect, or is there something to it.  It also said about running twice a day, rather than 1 slightly longer run, so possibly 2 x 5k's? I'll try this when I get the time, but I keep training like this in the mornings for a while and see what results I get, as they same, keep doing the same thing and your get the same results.....sorry for rambling on

• Options

AhaPartridge Thanks for the post.  I am now doing a similar thing.  Had been plodding out 5 steady miles 4/5 days a week for a while and not getting anywhere fast.  Since deciding to focus on a specific HM training plan all my runs are 3 miles other than the sunday run which builds up slowly.  Focusing on shorter distances means I am able to do more speed work and faster runs and my pace has gone from around 10.15 to around 850.  I also do a double on a Thursday running AM and PM as I am away every Friday & Saturday with family so its just easier to fit my runs in then.  Its nice to see it working for you too. What books did you buy  I would be interested to read them

• Options

I am running Brighton next year, it will be my 4th marathon. Have not given training for that a thought yet as running Berlin in September. My training plan starts next week but keep myself at half marathon fitness so hopefully things will go well. I do not do any fancy time but start running and finish running with no walking in between.I have the up most respect for anyone who takes the marathon on, whether they run a great time or run/walk to finish. The training is hard, you need commitment and the mental strength to just keep going but my goal was only ever to do it without worrying about times. I'm a middle aged 4 hr 30 ish plodder.

I have also entered the London Ballot but don't hold out much hope - I did Brighton last year.not keen on the dreary power station part but the crowds are great so back for another.

• Options

Ahapartridge thanks for sharing, am in a similar situation and it's always good to hear different ideas.

Good running everyone

• Options

@ahapartridge, what book is that, it sounds like it could be interesting to read.

I'm particularly interested in the ideas of running twice a day, a gym is likely opening opposite my office in a few months. I'm thinking that that opens up a few hours a week of training time and that 30-40 minute lunchtime treadmill sessions could be a useful addition to my training but no real idea how to combine it with my admittedly vague training plan.

And well done on your last run!

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments, as ive said im only on chapter 1 and for me it struck a cord already, anyway went in the gym just now and the my other 5k today, dont really the the gym and way too hot!! by the way the books called "the art of running faster" and no im not the author or plugging it, lol
  • Options

Hurray! I signed up before it sold out! Missed out last year. I'm kicking off my training for the.Loch Ness marathon with the first leg of the Ridgeway relay on Sunday. I hope my long build up to Brighton goes OK as I've been struggling with a sore back. Slow and steady will make you ready.

• Options

ahapartridge, totally agree, so many plans have recovery runs and steady runs. I normally try and make at least some of the run hard enough that it feels like a workout and not a plod!

Tillstar - totally agree with cashing in on fitness for multiple marathons -- thats why I do 2 or 3 marathons per training season.

• Options

Well my mojo seems to have well and truly disappeared with the heat! And not helped by the fact that the 10km I did on Sunday has left me with a sore calf (the folley of racing after 10 days off I guess!)

Coudn't be bothered to run last night, and my planned commute by bike today was replaced by an extra hour in bed and a plan to go to the gym tonight. And no enthusiasm for the Hackney half next week as the planned PB attempt is now most likely going to be a slow hot slog.

• Options

@ahapartridge I just ordered that book - read what I could as a free sample and wanted to read more, thanks for the recommendation

@wenterrapin thank you, nice to know im not the only mad one image

Still enjoying running and pushing myself rather than just plodding along

• Options

6 miles with Snowmaiden today we did one 3 mile loop stop had an ice cream and cooled down for 10 minutes then started the second loop i had to do 7 mile as that's what my training plan for the GNR said so after 4 miles said to Snowmaiden I’ll do the extra mile now you carry on and I'll see if i can catch you fully expecting to boy was i wrong

Never had a snifter of catching her

• Options

Well done Snowmaiden image Your progress is amazing image

• Options

Well done snowmaiden!!! Just entered the London marathon today on the GFA !

after slogging a hard 6 miles in the heat I dont really feel like it to be honest!

• Options
    hi Tillstar, well done, ive got two other books, so i'll see whaI know itt happens with this first one, im just looking for that one thing that works for me that changes my running. i know its still down to me at the end of the day, but after running for approx 8 years i need a hand. park run tomorrow morning so lets see what happens.
  • Options

afternoon  all

10 miles with poohbear today boy and i thought it was hot yesterday not a pach on today

• Options
    well done Toby, as for me i did the park run this morning, 26.18, not fantastically fast, but my quickest since Nov 13 so pleased with that. im going for a 10 miler tomorrow morning, going out early to miss the heat.
  • Options
    Morning everyone! Up and out for today's "long" run of 6 miles early this morning. Deliberately kept it slow at 1030 pace as I figure I'm gonna achieve more if I slow the long run down and give myself the legs to really push my midweek speed sessions rather than running everything at the same pace. Felt rely weird running that slow tho. Feel like I haven't really run and could have run for a lot longer, almost like I cheated my run.
  • Options
    Morning all, well done Tillstar, good running, thats the best way to feel after a run, keeps you positive and knowing that next time you can go a bit further. Ive just come back from a 8.29 mile run at a 9.46 pace, really pleased with that, longest ive run in training for 2 months, finally getting my running mojo back.
  • Options

Tillstar and alapartridge well done on the runs this morning it a lot cooler here this morning at the moment

• Options
    cheers Toby, your doing well, i think we met at the first Brighton marathon if i recall at the Travel Lodge?
  • Options
    SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Happy Father's Day to all the dads! I've had a great day recovering from my 50km LSR which I managed in 5h:01m. Just over an average 6min per km. boy have I been eating since then, just can't seem to get enough. The garmin said I used 4345 calories  so not surprising I've eaten a horse, 

toby3 it was hot Fri and Sat good to get the work rate up.

• Options
    well done on the run Safer a great achievement, put your feet up and enjoy the memories
  • Options

ahapartridge yes i think your right about meeting me at the travel lodge i also remeber meeting juggler as well

/members/images/535370/Gallery/brighton_juggler.jpg

• Options

Morning all.

Just a three mile plod for me as this morning - I moved Thursday evening's session forward as im out with my sister.  It was one of the runs where I don't give myself a strict plan other than the distance so turned it into a progession run 9.32, 9.14, 8.56. Weighed myself this morning and at 8.12 I am under 9 st for the first time in years image Happy days

• Options

Afternoon all

Week 7 of Snowmaiden training was a mean to her today as i took her around a hilly route she ran most of them with a small amount of walking up them we did 3.5 miles together before she headed for home and i carried on and did another 6.5 miles

• Options

10miles for me this lunchtime, not feeling the love still but not feeling the pain as much either!

Only another 10 months to go!