Options

Lyke Wake Race 42

Comments

• Options
    Plenty of time to recover, I'm doing the Potteries marathon and so is Benz so we'll be in teh same boat so to speak.
  • Options
    NMP - I'm doing Blackpool (my first mara) - my numbers's 41 - what's yours? I won't be joining you on the 4mile warm-up though (unless the car park turns out to be further than I thought)

Duck - can't offer training advice as I'm a novice myself but do enter as we run/walkers would welcome more of the same (in my case it will be run a little bit walk a lot). As you will see from earlier in the thread Bryan the organiser is making walkers as welcome as runners. My training such as it is has been marathon training plus some hill walking (sometimes do a long run followed by a 5-mile walk). Also took Tim's advice to add in some extra short runs two or three days a week to up total weekly mileage
  • Options
    I hope there will be some who walk the whole way

Or Ill get lost
  • Options
    Well done Sluggie. How did you find it?
  • Options
    It's ok hipps, still planning to walk. Can't be arsed to run!! It's my birthday weekend! I've got the maps! And the fit rowing guy phoned me today about going through the route. It's all good!

btw we seem to be becoming a very prolific thread - will make 2000 soon - and no, that's not a challenge!

right. now going to Henley! Speak to you all anon.
  • Options
    will you walk with me then?

i still dont know if DDP is doing this or not
  • Options
    Duck, Don't worry I think most of us on this apart from Timothy and Casper are novices at the distance. I did a couple of 31's last year and the most important thing I told myself was to take care early on. It's no good doing a pb at 10 miles when you got 30 odd to go. I'm aiming to run the downhills and flats and walk the ups. You'll be fine.
  • Options
    That's absolutely right Loz
  • Options
    T'wld be a pleasure! (and i'm bringing my relatively unfit mate from work, so we'll have to spur him on too)
  • Options
    btw as you can probably tell i'm still here! due to stupidity of someone who shall remain nameless (sometimes lurks) who "forgot" he was meant to be driving and therefore had a couple of pints watching the football. . . so up at stupid o'clock to make it in time to race!!
  • Options
    Tim, the extra mini-runs were good - can gain 6 miles a week quite painlessly that way - will find out on Sunday if it worked (though I have nothing to compare it with)
  • Options
    In Hiding
    really walking?

cos i have a 50 miler the next week
  • Options
    Of course me make walkers welcome sluggie. The route was originally set up as a challenge walk. The majority of entrants are either walkers, or at best walker/joggers. Only a small minority are like Tim and Caspar. If it was not for 'walkers'there probably would not be an event at all. The whole idea of the day is to have fun. The only reason we set a (theoretical) 12hour time limit is because the marshals are from all over the country and the day would become too long if we extended it. As it is I will be up at 04:30 on race day and, if I'm lucky, will be finished for 19:00. I then have to drive home or stay overnight.
    For those who think they may have problems with the time we are looking for you to be able to reach Ravenscar for 17:00ish. The 12hour starters start from Osmotherley at 04:00.
    Start times will be posted on 30th June officially but if anyone would like to know there times let me know and I'll publish them a little earlier. Here are a few I can tie up with your net names
    Hippo & Jen - 04:00
    Tim - 07:30 (Have arranged for Alan Couldwell to keep an eye on you so that you don't get lost. He's a regular and a reasonable runner)
    Steady (if recovered) - 07:00
    Caspar - 08:00
    These times are all based on their own estimates.

Any others let me know your name on entry form.
  • Options
    Bryan
    its not timmy you want to keep an eye on;)
  • Options
    What can I say to that Hippo?
    Actually I'm quite grateful to have a navigator with me. How are his ears? Some unreliable sources imply I talk a lot.
  • Options
    Wasn't Liz going to start at 7:30 too Bryan?
    How's DDP getting on? Will you be walking?
  • Options
    Bryan
    Just to say that I will be adjusting my time as I have not really been able to put in the training due to injuries earlier in the year.

Reckon I'll be adding at least an hour to my time. I'll decide nearer the time

I am confortable with the map reading though - or more to the point dont mind if i get lost (as long as I dont end up in glasgow!)
  • Options
    Good afternoon!
    A few questions for Bryan Thomas or any other kind souls:

- Am I too late to enter?
    - How difficult is the navigation? Trackless wastes, where the hapless wanderer is lead astray by will-o-the-wisps? a well-worn footpath?
    - Do I need a support crew? What would I need to carry?
    - Is there any public transport / likelihood of getting a lift from York or Malton? (I only have a bike, though I don't mind going a long way on it, so I could bike from Malton if necessary)
    - If it isn't too late to enter, would you be pleased / less-than-joyful if I tried to convince York Uni walking soc. / Athletics soc. to enter too? (maybe 3-10 people would).

As a rough guide, I'm a 20/F/student, I'd plan to run/walk, am keen on marathons (3:41 PB), & spent much of last year walking long-distance paths round New Zealand, & have DofE gold.

Thanks very much,
    Ceri the Duck.
  • Options
    Hippo

I have every faith in your ability to eventually get to the check points without a guide; though there are plenty of other walkers starting around the same time.

Tim

I'm sure Alan is capable of switching off and ignoring you should he get fed up with you yacking.
    Liz is down for 07:30 start as well

Caspar

If you want to amend your estimate I will need to know by next Thursday am at latest. Would be a bit reluctant to allow more than an extra hour though.

Duck Girl

It is officially past the cut-off; BUT if you have an entry form send it in. Have notified the Race Director of your interest and suggested that I could accept entries up to next Thursday but the final say is with him.
    As for transport. Train service from York to Northallerton then local bus service. Be warned though; the bus service is infrequent. Last bus somewhere early evening and first bus about 08:00(I think). Tracks are good in the most part. Can send you a route guide if you give me an e-mail address. You will only need to carry what you think you will need on the race. Water available at all check points and food at one. Squash also available at most checks. Support crew would be useful but not essential. Bags transported from start to finish for you. As for getting other people to enter; the same conditions apply as for you. This is dependant on the Race director and getting entry and monies in quickly.
  • Options
    Bryan

I was thinking of starting ear;ier, not finishing later if hat makes any sense.

Is it a real pain to change my times?
  • Options
    Caspar
    you wanna atart at 4 am?
  • Options
    Not really Lyke-Wake related, but I'm still laughing about something that has just happened. This morning I took my overweight 13-year-old couch potato of a cat to the vet, who gave him an injection of a non-steroidal for his arthritic spine. Two hours later we had to rescue the cat from a neighbour's tree - this depite it never having previously climbed a tree to our knowledge in the last 13 years! I've got a sore back too - do you think the vet would give me an injection?
  • Options
    4 maybe a little aggressive

I was thinking 6.30 or 7 or something like that

• Options
    Good luck to Hippo and Tim and anyone else doing Potts on Sunday - weather looks promising!
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    Sluggie: My number for Blackpool is 717. I will be wearing a Lancaster and Morecambe vest and running very slowly! What sort of time were you aiming for?
    Bryan: When will we know our start times - I need to let my support team - wife and daughter - know how long they can stay in bed.
  • Options
    Bryan probably sorted your start time last year

he is very organised

me, not even got a map yet

cant think beyond potts
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    Talking of getting lost, I have strayed from the path 3 times during training for the Lyke Wake - once in the trough of Bowland, once on Yorkshire 3 peaks and last Sunday I went walking over Crinkle Crags in the lake district, planned to finish in Langdale and ended up in Eskdale. In the end I has to hitch a lift back over the Hardknott and Wrynose passes! I'll either have to invest in a GPS or find someone reliable to follow.
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    Are you Carbo loading for Potts Hippo? I am as I speak tucking into some nice fruit cake in preparation for Blackpool. This is the fun part of distance running!

I had a map on Sunday and still got lost!
  • Options
    Will look out for you NMP. No real idea of time as never done marathon before and still recovering from strained back - probably about 5hrs if I'm lucky.
    Fruit cake - what a wonderful idea
    Hippo - it's so long you need two maps (not kidding) It also goes annoyingly along the bottom of a two-sided map and keeps changing from one side of the page to the other
  • Options
    aaaaaaargh no shuurrrrrup

i cant get lost

forgot about the carbo loading-yes really

managed some noodles last night

and could not finish pasta tonight

usually have massive appetite, which disappears pre mara

but dont worry
    i always eat loads
    sure ive had enuff

sluggie
    i dont know if my walking partner is doing it(DDP)

no word

guess ill be buying maps and stressing

im walking the whole lot, ive a 50 miler the next week