Options

Lyke Wake Race 42

Comments

• Options
    in hiding
    i may have a spare bed, cos me and DDP booked twin room
  • Options
    Loz has borrowed a GPS. Excellent, and I thought I was going hi-tec getting a compass "just in case".
    I put down 8 1/2 hours but that really depends on navigating and how runnable the trail is, its probably getting quite waterlogged I would have thought.
    I really am looking forward to it, my first long run for ages.
    getting there will be a bit frought though.
  • Options
    compass???

gulp
  • Options
    Don't think I'll need it though, its for "just in case".
    Of course, the trouble with navigating from point A to point B is you do need to know where point A is!!
    That's usually where I start to have problems.
  • Options
    I am going to have to get a map
    or something
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    Loz - I'll try to keep up. My longest is 26.2 - several times, all on road so this is new territory for me. The time was pure guesswork, I run sub 4 hour marathons but panicked a bit when it took over 6 hours to complete the Yorkshire 3 peaks on a training run.

Tim - What are the odds of your compass, Loz's and my GPS all pointing in the same directon?
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    PS I'm starting to get excited about the big day now. My pre race niggles have started already.
  • Options
    hey Tim, I might have borrowed a GPS, but I don't know how to use it yet! I'm going to play with it this w/end.
    NMP, you'll keep up fine. I did the 3 peaks race in 5 hours, so if you can do it in training in 6, you'll have no problem.
    My daughter is acting as back up on this, so hopefully she'll be at certain points, but there's no guarantee, if something distracts her. But I'll make sure she's got plenty of drink etc on board. Also it means they'll be a couple of places in the car back to Os if needed, after a couple of drinks of course.
  • Options
    its gonna be agreat day
    there seems to be a few points where you can veer off the beaten track and shave a few miles - assuming terrain looks not too boggy when you get there and you are not holding your compass upside down.

My times are all over the shop - I'm gonna enjoy it wth a bit of jogging and walking.

Loads of people going back to Os as well

By the time we get back there all of our muscles will be nice and stiff - seems like aother reason for another drink up there to celebrate!
    Assuming we are still awake!

Bryan - have you been able to source some of the coffin badges?
  • Options
    Number - 94
    Start time - 7.30
    Also planning to borrow GPS, also need to learn to use it this weekend!
    Foot injury almost better, so I'll be there, but training has been limited since Swaledale.
  • Options
    dont worry liz

I dont think anyone has been able to do any proper training for this event due to one thing or another, or in my case both!

In hiding - do you still need a lift? If you do then
    email me
  • Options
    And email me if tent space needed, there's plenty of space to accomodate you under the porch bit of our tent.
  • Options
    and i still havwe a spare bed in my room
  • Options
    Its gone quiet-where is everyone?
    Folk will have to remind me if I've promised them a lift back or not. Don't all shout at once.
    I'll have to make sure I tell sheley where the finish is or we're all in trouble!!
  • Options
    That's not how you spell my wife's name. I'm alreasy in trouble then!!
  • Options
    you nissed Tim?
  • Options
    Better keep this thread awake now. I'm really confused about te weather forecast but I suppose whatever its doing on the day that the course will be wet and boggy, but I notice that its not all off road, and that we'll be taking a wet tent down on Sunday morning.
  • Options
    its going to RAIN?????

oh no
  • Options
    Hi Folks

Sorry for the absence but the firm sent me to Birmingham for a week to deliver a training course.

Answers to queries.

Bacon butties for those who ordered are at Hamer.

Gin available at same stop; but only to worthy causes. Idiots that run can reach the pub quick enough to buy their own.

Coffin badges are being worked on. Hopefully Sherwood is going to take some with him to the finish.

Word of caution.

If you intend using a compass it might be useful to know that Rosedale area used to be an iron ore mining area. Compasses tend to be a little unreliable in this area. Depending what the grouind is feeling like the compass can point in any direction. God Bless magnetite.

Steady

Next years event will be on the second saturday in July as usual. Applications available from early January.

See you all on saturday (hopefully). Any queries I'll be about all week except Thursday.
  • Options
    Oh, good news about the compass then!!
    Well, i'll just have to keep up won't I so I don't need to navigate, but after marking the maps I'm reasonably confident I can find my way, just the first bit looks a bit tricky.
    Bryan, is there food at the finish and will the family be able to get any anywhere?
  • Options
    If I had a suspicious mind I could be thinking that additional iron ore has been laid by the organisers to add a little spice!

I'll have to resort to old injun tricks!

I am really looking forward to this now.

Are there showers/ changing at the end?

Bryan , did I order a bacon butty if not can I?

How rainy is the forecast in real terms? and muddy is it underfoot there?

• Options
    arewe talking waterproof over trousers and slow slogs into torrential rain

or is it light showers?
  • Options
    Now we mention it, I can't remember ordering a bacon buttie, but I think I'll stick to cake and biscuits and my energy bars.
    Go down nicely at the finish though.
  • Options
    Weather forecast is for showers and clear periods. But if you believe that you'll bekieve anything. Going underfoot currently V.wet in places.

Certainly did not put agnetite down to add extra spice. If people get lost in that section it is me who has to go looking for them.

Sure we could run to a bacon butty for you Caspar.

Hotel let people use toilets to wash and village hall will be open for a wash in their toilets. Unable to arrange showers. Sorry.

Food available at Ravenhall Hotel but pricey. Would advise calling at a shop on way round to Ravenscar. If driving round north side of moor then Stokesley or Whitby your best bets. South side then Helmsley, Pickering and Scarborough.

Anyone wanting to camp at Ravenscar? There is free camping on the grass at side of village hall for the Saturday night only. Use of toilets in the hall. Also people are able to sleep in village hall. Bring your own bags etc. All they ask is that noise levels are kept to a minimum so as not to disturb neighbours, everything is left as found and you vacate before noon sunday.
  • Options
    Warm and dry clothes and food in me drop bag me thinks

See you all on Saturday
  • Options
    wibble ye not o hippo
    Bryan, my wife is planning on driving from Osmotherley via Whitby so I'll tel her to look out for food there.
  • Options
    ah yes

sealskinz

now where did I leave them?
  • Options
    So not the racing flats then