Options

Lyke Wake Race 42

Comments

• Options

No worries Caspar . . anytime, when the pics are developed and scanned, let me have them and I'll do the rest . .
  • Options
    Hippo

To those of us who are trying to commit to our first marathon your are a b****y inspiration. I already have "Hippo would finish it" in my head while I waddle round my 5 mile circuit!

Well done
  • Options
    Any marathon in particular in mind yet Do Do?
  • Options
    Do Do

Hippo DIDNT finish it
    But dont remember that

youre doing dubbers arent you?
  • Options
    Hippo & Tim

Hippo its not the finishing its the getting up that ravine - and you would have finished if your Dad hadn't been waiting!

Am in Dublin and am committed to the 10 mile training run on the 21st of Aug, with a 10k before that in Galway on the 8th.

Trying to be realistic as have never run before so will commit when I have run 10 miles without expiring.

I am having problems with my knees which may be caused by my trainers so need to find somewhere in Ireland where I can get my feet looked at (I think that I wobble all over the place but I'm no expert). Also have several layers of blisters but judging by the various threads this seems to be an occupational hazard.

This running lark seems like such a good idea when I have already run today - when I am pounding round the park I wonder if I have lost my mind!

• Options
    Do Do

getting UP the ravine was ok
    i just couldnt get down it
    I havent forgotten lying sobbing in the mud, clinging onto a piece of heather

i look forward to meeting you at Dublin
  • Options
    Yhanks Bryan, esp for the gin, think I'll probably have another go next year, I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    That heather came in handy down that ravine didn't it!!
  • Options
    Have been 'selling' this event on a recent trip to Edinburgh and have at least two keen Scotsmen interested (in the race I mean)
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    Sluggie I've just got this image of two Scotsman in Braveheart gear - kilts etc, chasing across the Yorkshire moors!

RichK has done a good job with the pictures - they look a lot brighter than the originals Thanks Rich

The Yorkshireman off road marathon in September is catching my eye at the moment. A bit soon perhaps but will make use of all that stamina training for Lyke Wake.

• Options
    yeah Tim, thank god for the heather indeed
  • Options
    Troggy

The Yokshirean is supposed to be great - you should do it

I've wanted to do it for couple of years now.

I cant do it this year unfortunatley

If you want o see about other events check out the www.ldwa.org.uk may be of interest to you
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    Thanks Caspar. Had a quick look at this site. Good ideas for weekend training routes, tough the actual events seem to be walks rather than runs.
  • Options
    I think they expect to have runners - some (including the Saltergate circuit) have a separate later start time for runners (Sorry I have decided not to do this as I doing Cardiff on the Sunday)
  • Options
    There is a good mixture of walkers and runners - I suspect you will end up walking the uphills same as the early parts of the Lyke Wake
  • Options
    Some of the event specify no runners but very few and as Sluggie says some of them have different times for runners so they can time the opening of the checkpoints.
    THis is more the case with events 20 miles and over

These are events that I do and many long distance trail runners do the same.

Kendra White - who was supposed to win the womens race at Lyke Wake (until she pulled out) does these a lot as well - and she is a first class fell runner so will get a whole ,ixture of people

And they are very friendly and well organised as well
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    I've had a closer look (should be working, tut tut) and there are some really good events - The Westmorland and North Lancs associaton have some events on my doorstep. Now how do I fit them all in...... I'll have to pack in work or something. Now where was that lottery ticket!
  • Options
    you mean you work troggy?

tut tut

;)
  • Options
    I've just discovered an interesting sounding event for the autumn - the Wensleydale Wedge - 23 miles, for walkers and runners. It's probably too easy for you hardened lot who actually did the Lyke Wake, but if you fancy a trip up this way it is a lovely route. Definitely no ravines Hippo.
  • Options
    hm, bit busy with marathons this autumn
  • Options
    JFRMJFRM ✭✭✭
    Yes Caspar unfortunately I have to work to keep myself in running shoes! It has kept me away from these pages for a few days.

Liz - is this a ldwa event, I'm thinking of joining as there ae lots of similar 20-25 mile 'no pressure' run/walks to enter
  • Options
    wolverhampton
    cardiff
    dublin
  • Options
    Yes Troggy - organised by the Nidderdale branch. Seems like a good way to get in some longish runs in interesting places.

Hippo - you'll be busy then. I'm just aiming for Snowdonia. The Wensleydale Wedge isn't until Nov. 21st.
  • Options
    could be a good excuse for a cold weekend in the Dales. I typed it into google and ended up reading an account of doing it in the snow
  • Options
    Are skis allowed?
    See you later Sluggie, once I've collected my number I tend to warm up round the track if you want to find it
  • Options
    Don't see why not (I've got three pairs of skis, so people can borrow them). Still hoping to see you later - but havering now as to whether I'll run as legs dropping off after Trentham 10 at the weekend - hoping treating myself to a massage later will help
  • Options
    any of you thinkingof doing the high peak 40 in september

my summer plans have been scuppered and am looking at alternatives
  • Options
    Caspar, do you mean your Mont Blanc summer plans? I hope you don't
    I'd love to do the September High Peak, that would be perfect for me with Tooting coming up but I think my brother and his family are up with us that weekend, my training will be limited to the Boggart Hole Chase 10k. At least its hilly.
    Sluggie, the last Sale 5k was the Thursday after the Lyke Wake and I did it ok, I'm sure you'll be fine after just 10 miles!!
    You'll still be there with hubby? Shelley will be there too, look out for bored wife reading a book and ignoring the race!!
  • Options
    I'm afraid so Tim

I just havenot been able to get into a rhymn and in reality have had 6 months of on and off injury.

Whilst I am fit (ish) I dont have what it takes to run 150k with 8000m of acsent. If I had got through Lyke Wake without niggles and pehaps the 50 miler then I would be in better shape,but as it is I am finding it difficult to maintain 30 miles a week.

Still It is the right decision and will live to fight another day. I have set my sigts on a couple of things, but am not committing to anthing until I can get ito the swing of things - taking the pressure off!

Still going to go to the Alps and train out there though - and am thiking of taking the bike and re-living the tour de france in my modest way!

Gonna be down at Tooting for support at some point as well