Options

Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Thanks Reiki - still on a high from the weekend, though back to hill rep's tonight!

A total climb of 190 to 200ft seems to be reasonably common looking at a few random routes on MapMyRun and other sites.  So around 60m which doesn't sound bad.

• Options
    Holland & all - I'm bearing in mind that I still had the neural problem when I did the recce with my sister, so my right quads were stiff and numb, horribly shunty on the downhills, so everything probably felt more extreme in terms of hilliness.

We ran from the start at the uni directly to Stamford Bridge [skipped thw town part], and some of that was cross country, kind of nea rather than on the course. We then ran back from Stamford Bridge on the actual coirse but skipped the out & back.

Part of thereason we didn't follow theexact course at all times, as was my plan, was that my sister wasn't hapoy on busy roads with no pavement or verge.

There were indeed some scary moments on blind bends.

My impression was of 14-17 having a slight drag, 17-20 going down but then back up; a climb to 20m, downhill then flat to 25, with that hill at the end followed by the sharp downhill finish that got me a black toenail on the good side [probably assisted by running oddlyish]
  • Options

Hi

Also doing thr yorkshire Marathon (Obviously as im on here image

Did 19 Miles Sunday in just over 3hrs. Would like to get under 4Hrs but not sure if im quite in that shape or not. Looking at the profile it looks fairly flat (My 19M run did almost twice as much climbing).

In Zone2 but will probably stick towards the back of the zone so i dont go off to fast

Hopefully do 19/20 Miles this weekend and get a bit more confidance.

• Options
    Hi Quinn. On the day, getting to 20 miles in 3 hours always gets me sub 4, so it sounds like you'll have a good shot at it!
  • Options

Secretly looking at getting under 4hrs (Best 4hr 6min way back in 2000). Don’t know whether to try and keep with the 3:56 pacer or just go off slightly slower.

I know if I’m sensible and have a good day I’m in shape for something beginning with a 3. Will be happy to have another good long run this weekend and then it’s just a countdown to the big day

• Options

Tuesday night's hill rep's were hard work - I think I was paying for my half marathon efforts from Sunday.  Cut Wednesday's run down from 9m to 6m and went out targeting 5:20/km pace.  Seemed very hard work and I couldn't find a groove, so I hid my Garmin (rolled it the display onto the back of my wrist).

That seemed much better and I ended up running the last few KM faster but at the same heart rate.  No wonder I struggle trying to run slower on the LSRs.  I can see the question over what pace to go out at nagging right up to the 12th October!

• Options
    Morning all - just waiting to go out on my last long run here but there's a mad storm raging that needs to pass.
  • Options

Did you get out reikirabbit?  How did you get on?

After a week away, I've got 22 miles planned tomorrow, then time to taper!

• Options

Hi Guys, Hoping all your training is going well?

I am coming down from Edinburgh for this, reading reikirabbit's reconnaissance report the course sounds a little undulating, is that right?

• Options
    I got out at 9, Gareth, and did my usual very long very slow one 3weeks out - 25.24 miles @ 10:28 average/mile.

My left knee was low grade sore throughout, but my right lateral ankle, around the post tib tendon, became seriously stiff and is very sore now.

Not a whole new injury at tis point surely!?!

Don't know if I tweaked it dodging deep puddles on the towpath or if it's the legacy of the AIM exercises I was doing this week - very odd if the latter as I was OK on a much faster effort on Thursday.

Taper time!!!

Nell you'll see some reassuring reports from those who looekd at the elevation stats from last year's downloads if you read back a bit. My experiece was of hills, yes, but I had a neural problem at the time, which may have exaggerated my opinion!
  • Options

Thanks for the feedback reikirabbit, 25.24 miles, wow, long run!

• Options

Did 22 this morning and although it was tough I'm feeling ready for this now.

• Options
    I ran this last year. The hills are mainly up and over the bridges above the big roads. Rrabbit describes the course well. Green Dykes Lane is not too bad. Great support, knowing you are near the end and the downhill sweep to the finish is lovely image good luck everyone.
  • Options

Almost 20 miles for me yesterday in 3 hours.  Schoolboy error in not protecting against the delightful runners nipples.  Only noticed the rather large blood stains on my (white) T-shirt when I got home.

Mixed up 3 gels with some Jaffa Cakes, Tangfastics and Powerbar cola chewy-thingys so a good race fuelling test.

What sort of distance do you folks plan for a LSR next weekend?

• Options

23 miles for me today in 3 hrs 13mins - last of my long runs. Training has been a little up and down but today felt good. Hoping for a sub 3:30, managed 3:33 at Edinburgh in the spring...

Next Sunday 16 miles, then 13 miles and it will be race weekend...

• Options
    Long run completed on friday, Not too pretty and not as long as I would like but nothing to be done about that now.

I'm doing the ealing half next week, Nice and slow, another exercise in slow pacing which i still haven't got right yet.
  • Options
    I have a 10 progression run through MP this weekend, then an easy 7 one week out.
  • Options

Phew!  I got my first ever 20 miler tucked away yesterday at the second attempt.  This means that, all told, I will be going into my first marathon with three longest runs of 18, 18.5 and 20 miles.  Given that I see some beginner programs peaking with a single 18-20 mile run, I am starting to look across my program as a whole and gain some confidence.

Also decided on my new 'mantra' this weekend - "It doesn't always get worse".  Borrowed this from some article or another that was reading about ultra-running, and I am finding it very useful to remember when I begin to get ahead of myself and freak out about the way I feel relative to the distance remaining ("oh my god, how can I keep this up for another X miles..."), rather than focusing on the fact that I still have the ability to throw one foot in front of the other.  This was borne out this weekend as I seemed to be finding something of a secondary groove (albeit a painful one) by the time I stopped at 20 miles, despite almost being ready to throw in the towel a couple of miles previous...

• Options

Just under 14 Miles for me on Saturday in 2:08.

After the long run last weekend my calf went very stiff. Was painful Friday but after a lot of massaging it was runnable on the Saturday.

The 14 miles felt easy and I could have gone further but did not want to aggravate it anymore.

Will do about 2hrs next Saturday and then its cruise mode until the marathon

• Options

I planned on 21 but only managed 18.5 miles yesterday in 2:37, can't seem to get my fueling right and hit the wall again with a very dodgy stomach. My longest run for this marathon is only 19 miles. image

Can't seem to get my stomach to accept any form of gel while running, I've tried lots of different kinds but always feel bloated and sick, anybody else have this problem?

• Options

Unfortunately won't be able to make this due to injury....so I have a number that won't be used....and obviously not allowed to transfer/sell number.....just saying (message me).

• Options

Under two weeks now folks.  So it goes without saying I wake up with a sore throat this morning.  Grrr - be gone evil germs, be gone!  Hope everyone else is avoiding the lurgy.

Steady 14 miles on Saturday morning and then an easy 6 miles into Liverpool yesterday for brunch (pancakes... mmmm!)

• Options

Know the feeling Chi5B. Kids keep moaning they have got colds coming.

13.43 Miles in 2hs Saturday. Was slightly faster than planned but felt comfortable. Easy 6 tonight planned.

• Options

Seeing a theme here in my rocky taper period!

Following the 20 miler I had quite a few little niggles which meant I decided to rest up throughout last week.  Got 10 strong miles in yesterday and have woken up today with... a stinking cold!

The silver lining of course is that by getting ill now I can hopefully get it over and done with, and be recovered in two weeks!

At what point do you hit the point where you are doing too little during a taper phase?  I am presently being very conservative and focussing on just getting to the start line!

• Options

Hi folks, can anybody tell me if there will be pacers this year? Thanks.

• Options
    Snap on the lurgy guys, am on day 5 and down to a dry persistent cough from an infernal sore throat via taps on.

Am just trying to will it away from settling too deep in the lungs.

Hollandasp I reckon conservative is the way to go here.

Yorkie white yes, pacers at the usual target times.

Oh I did a 10 mile progression run on Sunday, easy 4 yesterday, planning on 3 x 6 mins @ 5 K pace sandwiched between 2 x 2 easy tomorrow.

down to just 2 niggles now!!
  • Options
    I had a lovely race on Sunday, Ealing half, just settled in behind the 2.20 pacer and enjoyed myself, very pleased that kept to pace and heart rate didn't get too high.

Couple of aches and pains at the moment but nothing too serious.
  • Options

Hello all,

I am doing Yorkshire too, my first marathon. Think I'll be using run/walk until mile 20 and seeing how I feel from there. Have done 20 miles run/walk in training and worked well, just want to enjoy the day and get round first time, then work and speed for a spring marathon next year. Wishing you all luck, and see you there (Zone 5)

Lisa

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Hope it's faster than their broadband

• Options

Good luck Lisa, sounds like you're ready after getting the 20 miler in.

It's my first too so I'm a little unsure about pacing but I think I'll take the first half steady, a few people have mentioned that it gets tough around mile 14 at Stamford Bridge, so I might need to have plenty in reserve for then.  It's also an out and back stretch so apart from being uphill it could be tough mentally at that point!