Options

Paris Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

Hi roomies.

Got a ballot place and all signed up for 2015. Havent really done very much other than hand over my money. Want to get accomodation sorted ASAP.

Did my first marathon this weeks at Milton Keynes and have just 6 weeks until my first ultra. Doing York as my second marathon in October. Paris will be my first race abroad.

Looking forward to talking to you all over the next year. x

• Options

Hi Jennifer - welcome! Which ultra are you doing?

Thanks folks for the kind comments - not feeling too bad today. Shoulders are a bit stiff fom running with the rucksack but that won't be a problem on race day because I won't need to carry my own water.

TD - it's all about taking it slow. With the run/walk strategy you know you're never more than 9 minutes from a walking break. And going that slow means you have plenty of time to eat which keeps the energy levels up.

15W - I've done 3 ultras before but until yesterday my longest run ever was 36 miles. I've generally not been doing massive mileage - no more than for a marathon really - but I have been training steadily since mid-December. This week has been, at 71 miles, by some way my biggest mileage week. I'm using a plan of my own devising, which takes elements from the plan for races up to 100k on 50 miles a week in a book called Relentless Forward Progress, and elements from Don Oliver's 'Make Sure of Your Comrades Medal'(!).

• Options

I am doing the Wall - 69 miles along Hadrians Wall in 24 hours. I am a slow back of the pack runner so very good and run/walk stratagies! (my marathon time was 5hrs and 55 mins - thats how slow I am!)

• Options

hello all new folks! 

TD - I feel ok thank you, quads are a bit sore from the downhills otherwise only problem is with the fall related injuries. 

• Options
    Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

Hello new thread, just been catching up even though I'm not planning on Paris in 2015.  You never know though, if the London people say no in the ballot and I wangle a little trip away, leaving hubby with the kids again....  Chester in October will be my number 2.  Currently looking forward to a tri next Sunday (just for fun, not even going to look at my time from last year), some half mara's and a bit of trail running.  Fancy trying some open water swimming too, having heard others' experience and that there's a place up the road in Blackpool I can do it (not the Irish sea).

Paris is great and the thread is such a brilliant source of information and inspiration. So welcome newbies!

• Options

Evening all - looking forward to 2015 - just recovering from morecambe 1/2 m 1 hr 50.36 following 22 miles on bike Outlaw 1/2 training in 3 weeks time - Kirsten Lancashire Lass - is it St Annes your doing???  Open water swims - try some Epic Swims in lakes - or join COLT training swims in Carnforth - Monday nights.

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

picklelilly - I'm sure you'll be fine, terrain won't take long to get used to but the hills.....especially downhill, oof! I'm starting to browse airbnb too, haven't used it before but would prefer to have an appartment in 2015. Hotel's are fine but....

15West - greetings - was it the late '80's/'90s in your 20's? image

Good luck all you Ultra folks, respect. Oh, I'm just going for a 30 mile training run....never. Well, not for a while yet anyway. Would love to do an Ultra one day....Race to the Stones perhaps? Looks like a good fun weekend.

Had a pleasing spin round town with 3250 others at the Oxford Town&Gown 10k - sights being set on London BUPA 10k with added confidence.

• Options

Welcome Jennifer Balls and city fan (I presume Bristol or Hull?). I believe Weedy did the Hadrian's Wall run last year (or was it the year before) and had a great time. But he's half way to insane.

RR - sounds like a good strategy for energy conservation but even so, that's a long time on feet. After 3 hours, I'm all spent. I guess I'll have a chance to see what running at a slower-than-usual pace is like when I do Giants Head next month (agh, NEXT MONTH!!).

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Bonjour mes amis. Je suis tres fatiguee pacre que je. Oh I give up. You'd never have thought I got an A* in French at GCSE. It was a while ago now... (eeek have actually just worked out how long ago it. That is shocking! Am I really that old?!)

I am undecided about Paris 2015. I really enjoyed 2014 but it took over my life somewhat. I am drifting around at the moment, enjoying the post marathon training fitness levels and not really focussed on what's next. Have run another marathon, a half and 10km since Paris. Would like to do an ultra, have eyed up a nice one in the Chilterns in July but it looks like I'll have a 10th wedding anniversary party to go to that day instead (it's our party he he!). I think Mr S would be reasonably put out if I chose a long run instead of celebrating ten years of being married to him!

I've got Abingdon booked for the autumn which doesn't allow headphones (and is v strict about it too) so I'm practising without - did half the marathon without music, the whole half and 10km without too and they were fine. Just not sure about a whole 26.2 miles without some rousing dance choons to get me round, especially through Abingdon.

Welcome to all the newbies.. you're going to love Paris!!

• Options

I believe I am now taking over as 'list fairy' until someone more suitable comes along! I'm not sure that I even know how to format properly on here! I am going to attempt the Paris 2015 list first and then the upcoming races list. Anyone that wants to get on either please just stick your details in a post and make sure my name is highlighted in case I'm not concentrating properly! image

Well done to all the people running PBs, very jeal!

I was going to run the Oxford Town & Gown today but missed internet entries, then missed 'on the day' entries because I was still in bed! Still ended up running to the race to see Orapidrun and Christus but managed to miss them both due to the whole field looking like a herd of stampeding gazelles (except the man in a chicken suit, he still looked like a chicken!). On the plus side my Nike+ app says that I ran a 5k PB getting to the race, so all was not lost! image

Mrs Bruffy - If you sign in to your ASO account you can click on your 'races' area and it gives you an info menu, your run number and pen is somewhere there.

Nells - Weightloss sucks, I hate it. I've been trying really hard to eat healthily but it seems I still have a lot to learn re portion control. I went to see my parents this w/end and ended up eating out 3 nights in a row, I did run two 6 milers but that's really not going to do much, uhhg!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Stuchbury wrote (see)

Bonjour mes amis. Je suis tres fatiguee pacre que je. Oh I give up. You'd never have thought I got an A* in French at GCSE. It was a while ago now... (eeek have actually just worked out how long ago it. That is shocking! Am I really that old?!)

Not if you did GCSE.  I did French O Levelimage

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Heroine - I'm with you on the weightloss thing. image

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Ahhh.. yer maj... too kind! Some may say that an O level in French is better than a GCSE. I was the first year of A*s. I feel old!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I was the last year of O Levels....I feel older....

• Options

PARIS 2015 list

Purple pen:

27869 - Thisisnatty

Pink pen:

59968 - Heroine in a half-shell

Waiting for a pen:

59526 - Towney

Waiting for details:

Keith L

Orapidrun

TinkerBEL

Leggymountbatten

Booktrunk

KO's

Esther Tony

HannahGB

Jamie Farmer

15West

Mattleydon

ACP

Jennifer Balls

City Fan

Picklelilly

Mrs Bruffy

• Options

Ok, so how do I remove the space between each line?!

• Options

May 10: Rat Race Dirty Weekend - Roger Reid.
    May 11: Beverley 10k - Leggy Mountbatten. Bristol 10k - Matty Warr. Glasgow Women's 10k - ATM. Leeds Half - Andy W. Oxford 10k - Agent Penguin, O Rapid Run. Porthkerry 5-miler - Mrs Bruffy. Port Sunlight 10k - Orbutt.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday. Helensburgh 10k - Eggy, Helter Skelter.
    May 17: Simon MacPerky's birthday.
    May 18: Aberdeen 10k - Simon MacPerky. Blenheim 7k - O Rapid Run. Brussels 20k - Yer Maj. Hornsey 10k - Jimbob. Lochwinnoch 10k - Eggy, Helter Skelter. North Norfolk Half - Keyser Suze. Paris-St Germain 20k - PC, Tartan Pimpernel. St Anne's Tri - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    May 22: Apperley Bridge 10k - Andy W. Clydebank 10k - Eggy, Helter Skelter.
    May 23: Suzy L's birthday.
    May 24: Inverness Championships - Minikaz2.
    May 25: Edinburgh Marathon - Whackers. Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - Orbutt, Wrexham Rob. London 10K -Jimbob, Lloyd R, Matty Warr, Natty, O Rapid Run, Radar Sal, Uncus Christus. Ox Marathon - Maxs Mum. Poitiers Marathon - Elizabeth.
    May 29: Dunbarton 10k - Eggy, Helter Skelter. Troi Rocs - One Tit, Tartan Pimpernel.
    May 31: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Emmy, Jimbob, Yer Maj. Stockholm Marathon - Pottermoss.
    Jun 1: Comrades - Danni, Running Rodent. Regents Park 10k - Jellybum.
    Jun 7: Bedgebury 10k - Natty.
    Jun 8: Mersey Tunnel 10k - Orbutt. Two Castles 10k - Matt Leydon. Vale of Leven 10k - Eggy, Helter Skelter.
    Jun 9: Blaydon Race - Iain, OO51.
    Jun 11: Portumna Half - ATM.
    Jun 14: Tough Mudder: Helterskelter, Scott.
    Jun 15: Hoy Half - Kaz.
    Jun 18: Accrington Coppice 5-miler - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    Jun 21-22: Hadrian's Wall - Booktrunk, Kaz, Roger Reid, Weedy. Trail Marathon Wales - Tartan Pimpernel.
    Jun 22: Freckleton Half - Kirsten Lancs Lass. Hackney Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jun 28: Cotswold Way Relay - Benign Murmurring. Giant's Head Marathon - Dirty Leeds Rob, Elizabeth, Emmy, Keyser Suze, Maxs Mum, Radar Sal, Suzy L, Tricky Dicky, Tinkerbel, Yer Maj.
    Jun 29: Torbay Half - Heroine in a Half Shell.
    Jul 5: Corrieyarick Duathlon - Uisge Jo.
    Jul 6: Edgehill Half - Matt Leydon.
    Jul 10: Running Rodent's birthday. Whackers' birthday.
    Jul 11-13: Coast-to-Coast Crossing - Roger Reid.
    Jul 13: Lytham Half - Kirsten Lancs Lass. Surrey Badger Half - Natty.  Marathon - Mrs Bruffy.
    Jul 19: Loch Lomond Tri - ATM, Helterskelter, Scott W, Simon MacPerky.
    Jul 20: Leeds 10k - Andy W.
    Jul 20: Wohlf's birthday. Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 27: Outlaw Half Ironman - City Fan. Wimbledon Common Half - Yer Maj.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Jul 30: Tinkerbel's birthday.
    Aug 2: Devil O' The Highlands - Kaz, Weedy. Round the Rock Ultra - Princess Fiona. Virgin London Tri - Wiola.
    Aug 18: Andy W's birthday.
    Aug 16: Coll Half - Eggy.
    Aug 23: Craggy Island Tri - Simon MacPerky.
    Aug 23-24: Hood to Coast Challenge -Danni.
    Sep 7: Cheltenham Half - Heroine in a Half Shell, O Rapid Run. Chippenham Half - Benign Murmurring. Great North Run - Andy W, Whackers. Kenilworth Half - Matt Leydon.
    Sep 8: Elizabeth's birthday.
    Sep 13-14: Scotland Coast-to-Coast - Roger Reid.
    Sep 14: Cologne Half - Iain. Purbeck Marathon - Maxs Mum.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 21: Ladybower 50-miler - Booktrunk. Richmond Half - NGUG. Warrington Half - Orbutt.
    Sep 26: NGUG's birthday.
    Sep 28: Berlin Marathon - Whaqatac. Ealing Half - Jimbob. Loch Ness Marathon/10k/5k - Audrey, Booktrunk, Eggy, Helterskelter, Heroine in a Half Shell, Jokeybhoy, Kaz, Keyser Suze, Mr Keyser Suze, Running Rodent, Scott the Walker, Simon MacPerky, Suzy L, Tartan Pimpernel, Uisge Jo, Weedy. Paris 10k - ATM.
    Oct 4: Albuturkey trip: Eggy, Danni, Dark Vader, Iain, Tricky Dicky, Tinkerbel, Yer Maj.
    Oct 5: Blenheim Half - Agent Penguin, O Rapid Run, Rou

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I did the Port Sunlight 10k race today, set a 2 minute 10k PB and took 2:59 off my course   record. Finished in 49:51 so I am over the moon. 

Heroine - it may just be the Paris list that you need to take over as Weedy does the upcoming race list and I don't think he was planning on giving up. 

Aren't Weedy and Kaz doing the Wall this year?

• Options

Heroine - really great of you to take that over image Could I also go on the list for Loch Ness next time round please

Tinkerbell - you too are very generous and super for becoming the thread Auntieimage

• Options
    orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Heroine in a half shell

Je suis 27314 - Violet (Purple) pen

merci beaucoup

• Options
    Orbutt - sub 50 ten km ? That's great news ,you must be elated
  • Options
    Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)

Welcome Jennifer Balls and city fan (I presume Bristol or Hull?). I believe Weedy did the Hadrian's Wall run last year (or was it the year before) and had a great time.

T'was indeed last year wot I ran it (as a two-dayer). Had a blast. So much so that I'm doing it again this year (as a two-dayer again).

Orbutt wrote (see)

Heroine - it may just be the Paris list that you need to take over as Weedy does the upcoming race list and I don't think he was planning on giving up.

I've been overthrown - this must be how Louis felt when Napoleon kicked him out. Not that I mind tho. If you're happy to keep it on Heroine, I'll bow out gracefully. My tip would be just to post it once a week - I've always done it on a Monday morning, but whatever's easiest for you. Otherwise if you post it every time there's an addition, you'll drive yourself nuts. And you tend to have to do it as two posts as the stoopid forum cuts it off after a bit.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Superb Orbutt!   Very well done.

RR and other ultra interested people:  certainly slow is the way to go for me, and I suspect all of us.  The tricky part about Comrades though is the time limit.  58 miles in under 12 hours.  So while slow is the answer, we still have to keep a close eye on pace.

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Nells - you ran Paris this year? I don't think you were on The List Fairy's Big List of People Running Paris. What was your bib no?

I was 44229 Orbutt - found this forum a bit late in the day a few weeks before the marathon so I'm only just finding my voice now image. My first marathon so I was just glad to finish, but enjoyed it enough to contemplate another and was slow enough to give myself plenty of room for improvement!

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    E mmy wrote (see)

Nells wrote (see)

Anyone done Florence? Had a look round there last week and would love an excuse to go back. Also possibly doing the Nice-Cannes run as a relay with a friend in early November if she can convince her partner who's a reluctant traveller. Again would love any tips on this!

I think there were a couple thinking of Nice-Cannes this year? Florence is a lovely race its just a bit of mare to get to.

15west - You're a proper speedster! Meet TD - our other Speedster. Ooh - that peanut butter sounds like it should. No additional crap.

I've just made fresh tomato soup in an attempt to not harass my stomach with too much at the moment. Result? It's not like any tomato soup i've ever tasted before... and i dont know if thats a good or bad thing.

Thanks Emmy - I've come back from a holiday near Florence flying in to Pisa. We went for the day to Florence in the train so I've had a trial run at getting there. I'm based in London so most places in the world are achievable as long as I can pay for it! Really hoping my friend can do the Nice-Cannes with me, I'm spending every spare minute finding things to help her convince her partner it's do-able!

• Options

Well done on your sub 50 Orbutt! Fantastic.

And thanks Auntie TinkerBel and HIAHS for taking on the admin chores.

• Options

HIAHS - I think the list DV asked to take over was the race entries list. Is it OK for Weedy to carry on with the Other Races and birthdays list please; he makes a bit of a game out of it?

The trick for losing the extra line spacing I believe is to press ALT+ENTER

PARIS 2015 list

Purple pen:
    27869 - Thisisnatty

Pink pen:
    59968 - Heroine in a half-shell

Waiting for a pen:
    59526 - Towney

Waiting for details:
    Keith L
    Orapidrun
    TinkerBEL
    Leggymountbatten
    Booktrunk
    KO's
    Esther Tony
    HannahGB
    Jamie Farmer
    15West
    Mattleydon
    ACP
    Jennifer Balls
    City Fan
    Picklelilly
    Mrs Bruffy
    Tricky Dicky

• Options

Dannir - I'm very much hoping it's 56 miles, not 58. Are you running a warm up? image

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Wish you two would work in proper measurements.  Comrades is 89kms. In old money - 89/1.6093 = 55.3035481265 miles so I'd round it to 56 miles just to be sure.

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

What's an extra two miles when you're going that far?!image