Options

Whatever happened to....

Comments

• Options
    I wish I never joined this thread, I can't get any work done and I'm being bombarded with email notifications!!
  • Options
    got it in one - the aforementioned Mr Curtis. His widow's biography "Touching From A Distance" was a decent read - not too pleasant for Tony Wilson though.
  • Options

Mike S, I wish I was looking this up on a website....unfortunately, I really AM this sad and tragic!

John Peel's all time fave is "Teenage Kicks" by the Undertones (I've just bought their A-sides and B-sides compilation in the HMV sale incidentally - a bargain at £4.99!).

How about Bronksi Beat? And all those two-tone bands?
  • Options
    i always check the web for lists to jog my memory-i was a student in the eighties-some of it blurs into the late seventies...
  • Options
    This is moving too fast - but now I've got to go & collect my son from his after-school X-C training....
  • Options
    i can't keep up. what about Nine Below Zero, Secret Affair, The Vapors etc.. or has someone mentioned those.
  • Options
    PB, I tried that and I still get notifications. I think once you've joined a thread with it switched on you're sucked in for good.

Plus I need to keep a check on my other threads :)
  • Options
    I do remember all those ridiculous frankie says t-shirts though.not in the same league as the seventies favourite of mine from stiff records-remember them-if it ain't stiff,it ain't worth a f***.
  • Options

Talking of the Undertones, I quite liked Feargal Sharkey's solo stuff - "Listen to Your Father", "You Little Thief", "A Good Heart". It's all in the voice. And I remember him doing a "live" show in a plane on some Noel Tidybeard programme, but the "backing" tape got stuck at which point it became obvious he was miming. Bit like All About Eve on TOTP.
  • Options
    the vapors were turning japanese weren't they?i always preferred the b side and now can't remember its name,and if i go and look it up, we'll be onto the nineties....who was big in japan?
  • Options
    perhaps its time i did a little work too....
  • Options
    PB, cheers!

Bye, bye, busy thread.
  • Options

Art Of Noise were good in a "trying to be pretentious but not quite getting there, maybe they're taking the p***" kind of way...

My favourite Frankie T-shirt was the one I saw which said "Frankie Says Who Give A F*** What Frankie Says". But I was only 15 at the time, and my parents weren't too keen!

The Pirhanas? "Tom Hark"? Or was that earlier?
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Great thread - makes me feel so young! I'll have to check some of the names with my older sisters
  • Options
    AoN - fantastic.. and still going strong, albeit with a slightly different line up

I do admit to owning many of the records mentioned, in particular <he sighs> Howard Jones first 4 albums (if you include the 12 inch album)

Others that you might have forgotten?

Making plans for Nigel, though this may have been 70's rather than 80's
    Anything at all by Kraftwerk, the model being a particular favourite
    I think the clapping song (mentioned about 300 posts ago) was the Belle Stars, I could be wrong though
    Can't believe no one mentioned Depeche Mode, demi-gods of Essex

and PB, annie Nightingale.. I listened religiously.. who can forget "fish heads" and the first exposure to half man half biscuit.

<sigh>
  • Options
    hurrah
    another thread successfully terminated by the awesome power of Bounce
  • Options
    b - the Tony Blackburn of thread conversations :-)
  • Options
    Hi guys,
    just found this thread, have been reading through, I couldn't believe it, the 80s were the best time of my life and mentioning all these titles is bringing it all back, oh happy days.
    Must dig out all my 80s albums now.

I have only seen one band live and that was WET WET WET at the Newcastle Arena, they were tremendous, what a pity they broke up, oh um........

Gaz.........
  • Options
    Oh PB you mentioned one I forgot all about,

One night in Bangkok, from Chess I think.....

Great........

Gaz......
  • Options
    Abc, and they were FAB supporting Robbie Williams last year
    Its about the right time of year for those 80srevival tours, must checkmout St davids Hall in Cardiff
    Kraftwerk
  • Options
    who mentioned Tom Hark..forgot about that one...'you gotta laugh or else you'll cry'.

In my opinion though there is one band that stands head and shoulders above everyone else...The Jam. all the albums (vinyl & CD), and all the singles are safely stored somewhere in my house.

Down in the tube station at midnight and Thats Entertainment are probably among the best songs ever written.
  • Options
    Bl**dy hell, I've only just picked up this thread but what a load of memories have been stirred by the music choices here. I work in the music biz and there are still quite a lot of 70s/80s artist(e)s earning bags of money from their recordings, and also there are loads not doing so well.

I have to admit that whilst reading the thread I had Nik Kershaw blasting away in my headphones (the joy of MP3s). I also have to admit that the Johnny Hates Jazz album was one of my favourites of the 80s.

Now going back to the 70s, when I was a lad, how about John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett singing Really Free with Beware of the Flowers on the B side. Pretty relevant as Otway is at number 9 this week with Bunsen Burner only his 2nd top 10 hit!!

GFB
  • Options
    Sorry, change that it's his first top 10 hit, Really Free only reached number 27

GFB
  • Options
    Got me going now....
    Cool for cats..Squeeze
    into the valley....Skids
    turning japanese...The Vapours
    my sharona..The Knack
    eton rifles..The Jam
    feels like i'm in love....Kelle Marie
    ghost town...Specials
    golden brown...Stranglers
    cars..gary newman
    boxerbeat....Jo Boxers
    shout to the top ....Style Council
    labelled with love....squeeze
    reward....teardrop explodes

sorry to go on but I love the 80s........

Better than the C**p today..........
  • Options
    BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember the record
    World of water.. by NEW MUSIC?

Marvellous.. god I was shallow in those days,, and I'm getting shallower like a puddle in the sun.