Options

PSOF 10th Anniversary Champs

Comments

• Options
    9Iron wrote (see)

Great report Symes, and all the others. Well done all.

Was thinking if that is why my swim was 10 mins slower than expected as I started at the back with no real racing rush!! Or is it i am sh1t?

Mrs9 and daughter9 took pics of the Pirates they saw, so is it best to put them onto farsebook? so you can get them?

Have pics of - Happychap / Robbie / Bob / Cougie / Symes / Garr or his mate? / Meldy and a couple of others on the run (sorry if I can't place your pic to names)

Im not a particularly fast swimmer but I follow the racing line, turn on the inside of the buoys and concentrate on getting a good draft all the way through the swim.

I also start on the front (2nd/3rd row) on the turn side and almost without exception have little contact/jostle until the turns, even then if you protect your space & make yourself wide on the turn its not to bad.  Starting on the front at the turn side means you are on the shortest line, you nearly also have wide open space to swim into i.e. the space to the opposite side of the throng.

• Options

Finally - first time since coming home from Austria that I've had 5 minutes to myself.  Suppose I should put the time to good use and see if I can remember enough to scribble a quick race report.

Up at 3am on the Thursday, eventually arrived at our lovely apartment in Velden (at the opposite end of the lake from Klagenfurt), then back to Klagenfurt to pick up the bike and kit, and a long, hot walk with two tired weans in tow to drop it all off at the YH (apologies again to Ferret, Cougs, Podds and Meldy for being a right grumpy cow).
    A relaxing day around Velden on Friday, then back to Klaggers on Saturday morning.
    I was sitting on the train thinking, "I'm not sure about this.  I don't know if I want to do this.  I really, really don't want to do this", but when I arrived at Ironville the buzz took over and my nerves evaporated.
    I've never been to an M-dot event before, and I found the Iron village to be rather blingtastic.  Shiny brands as far as the eye could see.  I felt proper piratey with all my stuff in my ASDA 'bag for life'.
    Registration was quick and painless, and was followed by coffee and cake (well, be rude not to) and a wander along to the YH to meet Meldy.
    A day of faffing followed, topped off by racking in the rain, a bit of transition familiarisation, and then pizza and ice cream.  
    An early night and an even earlier alarm the next morning, and race day had arrived.
    Some super-tasty instant porridge for breakfast with the rest of the bright-eyed and bushy-tailed pirates in the YH, wandered down to the start and slipped effortlessly into my wetsuit.
    Actually getting to the swim start proved to be one of the most challenging parts of the day, and was far more biffy then the swim itself, but we eventually made it onto the beach and into the water.

I don't remember feeling nervous at the start, but I took quite a while to get myself settled in the water.  I couldn't get my face in and was needing to breathe every stroke.  I just kept telling myself to,"settle, petal" (one of my race mantras) and eventually found a good rhythm and my breathing relaxed.  The swim out was great, and sighting on the tower on the hill was easy.  Unfortunately, I managed to get myself in tight to the first turn buoy so it was a bit crowded but I made it round (unlike the two guys I saw treading water and having a frank exchange of views) and along the short stretch, then turned to head back towards the canal.  Blind.  Looking straight into the  sun and couldn't see a bloody thing.  But it was the same for everyone, so it was a case of follow the pack and hope someone was heading in the right direction.  Like salmon heading home to spawn we all funnelled ourselves into the canal, and it was rather cosy.  And long.  It seemed to go on for ever.  Eventually the cheese grater appeared and I was out of the water and off to T1.

A very enthusiastic young Austrian helper assisted me with my bike gear, and it went something like this:
    Struggling out of wetsuit
    "I can do?"
    "Sure, ok"
    She peeled off my wettie.  I started opening my bike bag
    "I can do?"
    "Yeah, ok"
    She laid out all my kit.  I reached for my number belt
    "I can do?"
    "Ok"
    She put my number belt on for me.  I picked up my shoes
    "I can do?"
    "Yeah, sure"
    She opened up my shoes.  I put them on, put my helmet on and opened my tub of chamois cream
    "I can do?"
    "NO!"
    "Vas ist . . . ahhhhhh"
    Poor girl, now scarred for life.
    Grabbed my bike and headed out

The first lap of the bike course was brilliant, a beautiful course with loads of support, and several arrrrghs from other pirates. Special mention to Shiraz and her cowbell!  A fair few flattish bits, and a fair few bits w

• Options

Crap! Where did the rest of it go? 

. . . which I thought were flat, but my declining speed showed otherwise.  The hills were hilly, but not as bad as I had expected.  I thought my chain had come off just as I was at the bottom of the Rupertibastard, but it turned out to be my shite gear changing.  Thanks to 9Iron for stopping to check I was ok.
    Between water, 'iso', an aero bottle full of gels and my secret weapon (Mini Cheddars) my nutrition and fluids plan went just fine, but my lack of bike training really showed on the day.  Thankfully, the hip problem which had plagued my training didn't give me any grief on the day, but I was slooooow.  Into the start of the second lap, and I was starting to doubt myself.  "Suck it up Nursey, and keep pedalling".  
    Lap two was long and lonely, but who can blame the good people of Carinthia for getting bored and going home by the time I rolled around again?
    I did have some fun playing cat-and-mouse with a guy on a very shiny bike, pointy headgear an' all.  He wasn't impressed.
    I stayed on the bike up both the hills, and reaching the top of Rupert for the second time was a boost for morale.  It was at this point that my brain threatened to make me projectile vomit if I took another gel, so it was water only from then on in.  Back to Klaggers, downhill all the way (an omen for the run, as it turned out).

Into transition and run shoes on, without assistance this time.

I shall post this and do the run separately, in case of vanishing

• Options

I started the run actually running.  I was feeling fine at an 11m/m, so if I could keep that up and walk the aid stations, I'd be delighted. My legs had other ideas and I got slower and slower and slower. It became a run/walk, and by the halfway point I'd given up any idea of running.  Despite the brilliant support on the course form assorted spectators, random pirates and the VIP pirate enclosure, I was losing the will to keep going.  I used up my last scrap of energy on some mental arithmetic and decided I could power walk the final 13 miles.  Just making that decision gave me a boost and I soldiered on, fuelled by dry bread and crackers.  Bits of the run weren't great for someone who's scared of the dark, but I managed to avoid being eaten by Das Bogey Man, and, as if by magic, there it was - the finish chute.  No way was I walking this bit, so I broke into a gentle trot.  There's nothing quite like coming down there and hearing, "You are an IRONMAN".

16:08:56.  Slower than I would have liked, but a finish is a finish.

Bacofoil, medal, disgrace to the name of pirate as I couldn't face the beer, into the food tent.  Huge thanks to Scuba for looking after me so well (and to Swiss Bobby and Little Sis' for making me smile with a, "Hullo hen"!)

Wandered to transition with Barlos, threw my bike at the Nirvana crew, and back to the finish where I stumbled across the pirate YH posse.  Off for a shower and sleep, thanks to impromptu sherpa Meldy for carrying my bag.

• Options

The next morning saw me half crippled, burnt, blistered and rather fragile.  I though I wanted a massive breakfast, but my stomach wasn't so keen.

Hobbled along to the awards party, which was a giggle (I even won a prize!), and was delighted to see Flyaway arrive with a lei around her neck - brilliant achievement.

Huge thanks to Bob's Your Father for chauffeuring duties far above and beyond the call, which got me back to hubby and kids in Velden.

It was a top trip, and the family had a great day out supporting.  
    Thanks to all the pirates, racing and supporting for a great weekend

PIRATES ROCK

(By the Tuesday I was able to force down a beer, and spent the next week in Velden making up for lost time.  Almost two weeks later, and the skin has nearly grown back on my toes so I can make an attempt at walking normally.  Still glowing, and might even have pre-registered for a little something next year)

• Options

Great report Nursey - I think we had the same helper, keen as anything!

Now I know why my ar5e hurt as I handed her the chamois cream and she slapped it on the back of my neck!!

• Options
    What a super report. Made me giggle with your transition helper! Well done Nursey, top stuff.
  • Options

Nice one Nursey image you are awesome mate image

• Options

Awwwwwww, shucks imageimage

• Options

Great report Nursey

job done image

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Yay. Well done Nursey and glad to hear that sunburn has calmed down a bit 

• Options

Fab report Nursey

So glad you recovered enough to enjoy the rest of the holiday imageimage

• Options

Well done Nurse. Great report. Glad you managed too get a drink down you eventuallyimage

• Options

Very late and not very well written race report:

Prelude

Winter training went well, lots of time on the turbo and swimming and in the spring Flyaway agreed to mentor me. Just as the weather was improving I went for a ride on dry roads and managed to find a wet corner to go round to fast and fell off. 3 weeks in plaster with my thumb wired put a bit of a dent in my swim training and forced me back indoors on the turbo (upto 2:30hrs at a time). I came back from holiday with 10 weeks to go and with some guidance from Flayaway put a lot more intensity and quality to my training then I have previously.

Pre race

Boy is that a long drive. Great to meet up with so many Pirates, old friends and new acquaintances in and around the town and expo. A couple of swims in the amazingly clear and comfortably warm lake and a bike tune up and it was time to race.

Swim

Quick warm up and a good luck from Flayaway Raf and the Major and in to the lake, took a few hundred meters to calm down and find my pace but soon found some good feet and settled in. Busy but no fighting up to the first turn and again good feet to the second turn. Once round the second turn it was straight into the sun and hard to sight, couldn’t find any good feet going in the right directions so more of a solo swim to the canal. What a mess! Stirred up and murky and full of swimmers all going different speeds, it turned into a wrestling match in places as fast swimmers from the wave behind forced their way round and over slower swimmers from the other waves. One nasty elbow to the top of my head and finally the exit was in sight. Swim time 1:15:46.

I didn’t rush the run to transition but by the time I’d crossed the road I was half way out of my wetsuit and realised that my Garmin hadn’t started properly or I’d pressed the wrong buttons for multisport. This error meant a day of mental arithmetic which got hard and harder as my brain got more and more tired. Grabbed my bag and a lovely young lady offered to help me with my suit and then sorted everything out off my bag ready for me to put on, you don’t get that at many races. She wasn’t quite as willing as Nursey’s assistance though. 6:51 for T1 not great but there is quite a lot of ground to cover.

• Options

Bike

Pirate almost as soon as you are on the bike is a welcome sight thanks Hope and the rest of the support crew. Right from the start the bike is lovely and scenic along the river and into the hills. Before I had even reached the first decent accent Orange Cannon came flying past with a shout of go Pirate. As I made my way up the first accent Flyaway caught me and we had a little chat before I gave it up and her left me standing. I was ready for the second big climb at the end of the lap but was pleasantly surprise that it wasn’t as bad as I expected however the descent was fast and had enough corners in it for me to have to brake and give up speed due to my over cautiousness.  Because of the wave start and the lack of out and back sections it was a long time before any more Pirates came into sight in fact it was about half way round the second lap when I finally caught up with Hollywood. My timing wasn’t great just as I caught him he decided it was time to relive himself and I had to take evasive action to avoid a trail of pee. I probably spent about 30mins cat and mouseing with Hollywood, I’d move in front on the flats and climbs and he’d make it back on the descents due to my over use of the brakes, made even worse by the light showers and wet roads in the middle of the second lap. The last ascent went ok and the ride back to town felt even better the second time with the long gentle run into town seemed to spend ages at 25-30mph with little effort T2 was a welcome relief as the outside of 1 foot had got quite sore on the bike but i know it would be a problem on the run. Special mention to Sharz for her hill top support. Bike time 5:48:28

Once I’d racked the bike and grabbed my bag another pretty young lady offered to help me. While she sorted out the stuff from my bag I got out of my bike shoes with much relief. On with my clean sock as the young lady rubbed sun cream over my shoulders. Trainers on and snacks into my pocket and out for a little jog. T2 4:24 not sure how that happened.

• Options

Run

I didn’t realise how warm it was while on the bike but one running I certainly felt it. Tried to keep my heart rate down and my pace up for the first loop and only appear to be able to do one or the other and I chose the wrong one and went to fast. Managed to take a gel and keep the fluids moving for the first 10miles by walking the aid stations and running between but it was getting hard and harder. I slowed badly over the next 7mile and had a really bad patch from 17-20miles as my guts shut down and I felt like I was going to be sick. Plenty of flat coke and handfuls of ice down my moncao and in my cap seemed to sort me out and I picked up the pace for my second time through the old town and back to the finish. The laps and loops nature of the course didn’t give great opportunity for seeing other pirates until I was on my second lap but I think I saw just about everyone on the run at some point and it always helps to have Piratey support. It would have been great to have a chat with Major Disaster as I started my second lap I need a walk after a mile of running to I walked with him for a minute but the marching pace of a Major is not the same as the walking paces of most people’s so I give it up and jogged on. My timing was great as I got to the finishing shoot I was the only one there and had the chance to showboat on my own the whole way. What a great way to finish a hard day. Run 4:14:12 total race 11:29:41.

I went in to the finishes tent and bumped into Flyaway who’d had a great race so we had a chance to chat about the day over a bowl of soup.  I wondered back to the tent for a quick shower and then back out on the course to join the great Pirate support team (thanks Hope and family Hope and the rest) outside the hotel on the run course. Great afternoon and evening supporting the rest of the Pirates on the course and at the finish only interrupted by having to pick up the bike and a quick pizza.

Pirate prize and drinking on Monday what can you say.... Raf you have any amazing mince and you were up against so great competition.

Great to sail with the Pirate ship, don't think I'll make it to Mallorca next year.

• Options

Nice report Scuba, and well done for such a great result after the setbacks you had! image

• Options

Thanks Bob, you didn't do so bad yourself. Got any plans for a later season outing or next year?

• Options

Still trying to persuade the family that IM Mallorca is a good idea for next year - all that warm(?) weather training through the summer.
    Have been very lazy since Austria, but may enter something short later in the summer - maybe a Parkrun?

• Options
    Don't over do it Bobs will youimage
  • Options

The way I see it, I'm just giving the opportunity to inspire others. Imagine how a child will feel when he overtakes me with my Ironman finishers t-shirt on! Anything is Possible! image

• Options

It was nice to see a lot of you over there it was a good day beautiful swim and bike the run weren't bad but the legs were a bit tired plus bad blisters.

• Options
    Better late than never, right? Here's my report:

http://buccaneertri.com/ironman-austria-2015/
  • Options

Great report Flyaway.  All boxes ticked, and a brilliant result. 

Bloody doctors, just as well there was a nurse around to keep them right

• Options

I suppose I'd better do my report then!! Nearly 4 weeks on, but hey, I  don't do these things quickly!! image

Anyway here goes!

Training 

Let’s start with a quick resume of Nice in 2014; crap swim, 15 mins slower than I should have been, felt sick for first 20 miles of bike, big climb went well & I could have gone to Scotland to cycle in that weather. Had to take it easy on the descents due to the weather & not being able to feel my hands properly. Slow cycle, but at least my knee was OK. Marathon, PB by over 30 mins, happy with that. But I missed the official time limit of 16 hours, still managed to cross the line in under 17 hours. After that I din't want another DNF, even though I consider it a finish!

So training started in December and initially went well, then a combination of Christmas lunches, a funeral, floods, landslides, ski holidays, gales, snow, ice, eczema (who knew you could get it on your eyelids??) and 3 colds meant that training didn't really go to plan, but when does it ever. However this seemed worse than previous years! In saying that when I went back through my Garmin downloads I found that I had actually managed more road & swim miles than I did in the run up to Nice. 

Build up.

We pitched up in Klaggers on the Wednesday, met up with Flyaway, The Major and Trogs. I had to stay sober at dinner that night as I had to drive to the airport to pick up Swiss Bobby. I hope he appreciated it!!

So next morning we were putting the bikes together when I noticed something odd about ISB's rear wheel. The reaction of most of the technicians ‘Oh shit!’ at the expo reinforced my initial reaction. While the wheel was being sorted out, i.e. replaced, I noticed something odd about his seatpost!! His bike was rideable, but let's just say that his new frame has now arrived in Switzerland and I've been banned from going near his bikes!! imageimageimage

Anyway, back to the report proper!! I went through my normal race morning routine. Taped up my knee and hoped it would last the course. I went over to transition, added the nutrition to the bike, back to the hotel to pick up my wetsuit, then we wandered over to the start. Last minute good luck hug from Mum, then I wandered over to the start. 

• Options

Swim:

The waves before mine didn’t seem to be taking ling to get going and sure enough start time came round far too quickly. The canon went off and it we all plunged into the water. After about 15 minutes the faster swimmers in the wave behind ours started to catch up & over take me. Then about 5 minutes later, I was smacked in the eye by some bloke’s elbow. My goggles were dislodged & rammed into my nose!! First things first, make sure my goggles weren’t broken and I wasn’t about to lose them. Secondly check my nose, no blood, that’s good!! I had to stop to get my goggles back on and sealed. Then back to swimming.

The rest of the swim up to the first turn buoy was ok, I got round the buoy and some nice person managed to swim over the top of me, about 15 seconds later it happened again! WTF!!! I swam over to the side out of the way and lay there on my back coughing up the water I’d just swallowed!! A paddleboarder came over to check if I was OK. I gave him a thumbs up to indicate I didn’t need help. And I was soon on my way again. Round the next buoy and trying to spot the entrance to the canal. Easier said than done with the sun! I eventually managed to see the gap in the trees and aimed for that. 

I have to admit that the water in the lake was lovely to swim in, but once into that canal, I kept my mouth shut as much as possible!! One thing I would like to know, how hard is it to swim in a straight line in the canal!! The number of people who were zigzagging was ridiculous!! Learn to sight folks!! Then round the corner and I was being hauled out of the water and pushed up the beach by the helpers! I quickly looked at my watch, 1:33:40, that’s a PB!!! So far so good!

T1

I couldn’t believe the crowds heading up past the hotel & into T1. I had my usual problem getting my wetsuit off over my wrists. I have big bones and broad wrists OK, at least that’s what my orthopedic surgeon told me! After winning my annual wetsuit wrestling match, I grabbed my bag, into the tent and got changed!! Slapped on the factor 50, buff and helmet then out to pick up the bike. I’m glad I opted for my MTB shoes, it meant I could run normally through transition rather than waddling!! Grabbed the bike and headed out. T1, 13:29 I know I need to work on my T1 times!

• Options

Bike:

The bike was fairly uneventful, we went for a drive round the bike course before the race, so I have an idea of where the sharper corners were and where I needed to try and carry some speed! 

Going through Reifnitz I caught up with Hideki!! He is an Japanese gentleman in his 70’who was mentioned in the prerace information. I had realised that he was the same person I had sort of conversed with a year before on the bike course at Nice when we were both getting very cold and wet. As I caught up with him I called his name ‘Hideki’! ‘Hai’? I pointed to him and said ‘Ironman Nice’ then pointed to myself and said ‘Ironman Nice’! There was a slightly puzzled look on his face which suddenly changed to a look of recognition accompanied by a excited ‘Aaahhhh!’ a  big smile and a thumbs up!! I gave him a wave and continued on! imageUnfortunately he didn’t make the bike cut-off! image

On to Velden! I was trying to eat, but unfortunately my stomach was completely uninterested in any food I might be trying to consume. I wasn’t feeling sick, jus struggling to eat anything. I kept forcing food into my system. On the out and back section I waved and Arrghed the various Pirates I saw heading to the second loop of the first lap. On the hill down towards Rosegg I kept off the brakes and let my bike fly. Out to towards Labe Faaker See I started to hear a helicopter approaching from behind. I was waiting for Ride of the Valkyres to start. I realised I was about to get lapped by the Pros. About a ¼ of the way up the climb Mario went past with motorcade in tow! Up to the top of the climb, picked up a new water bottle and kept pedaling. The descent of the other side was great, taking the racing line through some of the junctions laying my bike over and enjoying the speed! Back to Rosegg then towards Velden. I saw Mum waiting on the descent to the roundabout, I yelled that I’d had a great swim & felt good! At the next feedstation was the revelation of the race, watermelon!! Just what was needed. Something I could eat easily. Not particularly great for calories but it was just what I was needing. 

At Augsdorf I was nearly blown off my bike by an Air Ambulance taking off from a field next to the road. Just past Schiefling Happychap passed me and disappeared off into the distance. She seemed to be doing better than me at carrying speed. Dropping down into Egyden the riders in front of me were on their brakes slowing right down for the corner. I scrubbed a little speed off and again took the racing line. Since I managed to keep a fair bit of speed going I was able to power up and over the climb, overtaking about 12 people in the process.

Then to the feared Rupertiberg!! The first time up in it didn’t seem too bad, I found the climb up to Faaker See tougher! I was singing along to the music pumping out of the sound system halfway up! It really helped me keep a rhythm going. I saw Shiraz, I think, near the top and mentioned that it was getting hot. Over the top then onto the descent. Along through the villages and back down into Klaggenfurt. There was a group of bikers on Harleys who were being slowed by the traffic on the descent back to Klaggenfurt. When they saw me they were encouraging me to go faster, I didn’t want to disappoint them!! image

• Options

Round the turnaround at transition and back out onto the second lap. As I came through some of the junctions I was high fiving some of the more enthusiastic policemen!! imageI stopped at special needs to replenish my supplies and headed out. The second lap was less eventful that the 1st, shouted at mum a couple of times & the Rupertiberg is a bit more noticeable the second time around!

Bike time, 7:36:32, another PB!! Blimey!! That meant I had over 7 ½ hours to do the marathon, not that I was planning to take that long.

T2

I spent half of my time in T2 trying to persuade a male official that he shouldn’t be in the ladies changing area!!! He eventually scarpered when I started stripping. It must have been the glare of the white skin that scared him off! 0:07:18!

Run

Well “Run” might be a bit of an exaggeration!! I set out walking at a steady pace and manage to maintain it all the way to the end. Blimey a marathon is a long walk!! My knee had been really annoying me all week, but I have to admit that the taping helped. In fact during the marathon it was the best it had felt all week!! I’m not complaining but typical!! As everything felt OK and I didn’t want to aggravate it I decided not to push too hard on the marathon!

As I was approaching the arch at the finisher’s chute for the 1st time Flyaway went past and off to the finish line!! She is a bit speedy that one! I picked up my first wristband. I kept my pace going down towards Krumpendorf picking up coke, water, fruit and crackers from the feedstations as I went (not necessarily all at that same time)! Everybody I saw told me that ISB was having a flyer!! I did suggest to a few people that he probably wouldn’t be able to maintain it through the marathon!! He did catch up with me as I was coming back into Klaggenfurt, & he decided to walk with me for a bit. I did notice that he had to break into a short jog now and again to keep up with me! J He later admitted that he kept being told I was only a couple of minutes ahead of him but it took him about 7 km to catch up with me! ;o)

Into the centre of Klaggenfurt, past the restaurants (that bit is really cruel) and I finally managed to see the Lindworm fountain. 

I have noticed during these walks that it is amazing the number of people who struggle with the concept of somebody walking the marathon. Yes, it is an Ironman. Yes, it is a marathon. Yes, I am walking! But I am walking quickly and I will get to the finish! I rang the bell a couple of times then back to pickup my second wristband.  Back out to Krumpendorf and this time I managed to acquire a cheese sandwich from the Subway feedstation. I saw Mum on the way back into Klaggenfurt, but I didn’t ease off may pace, she would drop behind me then suddenly start running to catch up!! I said I thought I might finish in under 16 hours if I kept going at the same pace. Knee was still feeling good! 

It was really quite dark on that last leg along the canal into Klaggenfurt and back out, I could have done with a torch at times to make sure I wasn’t going to trip on anything. It was hard to tell which pirate was which in the gloom, so I hope I didn’t offend anyone with my attempts at encouragement!! When I got back to the split I saw the official standing there ‘Ein, zwei!!’ I said, proudly displaying my wristbands. I was waved down to the finishers chute!! I was going to do it and in under 16 hours!! Just before I rounded to corner into the bright lights I put my sun glasses back on. Since I wasn't sure my legs would let me run at that point I opted to walk down the chute, besides it meant I could enjoy the moment! Official time 15:59:11!!

• Options

I know!! i also need to learn to write shorter reports! image

• Options

Oh please don't - I love reading the race reports image